Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13818 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  20:10:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Damn your fast!

I just added a long 'Edit' to my above post, and you answered me in the interrim. Please ask Ed (when you do make conatact) if that sits well with him. I'd rather explain away the duel-names then retcon anything this soon into 4e.

Thanks.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  20:24:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
"Fast?" she purred. "How 'fast' do you like it?"
Ahem.
I phoned Ed at the library desk, read him your edit text, and he says: "Great! Fine with me! Superbly done! Consider it official!"
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13818 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  20:33:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Just WOW - you ARE good.

And about the other thing.... you may be just one of the few women on this planet to leave me tongue-tied.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  20:38:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
No, no, I need your tongue free, but other parts of you tied . . .
Or vice versa (as in me tied, and heavy on the vice, of course).

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Seeker

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  22:35:55  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message
Well, while Ed is asking what we want to see... (masochism much? )

Mirt and Durnan are always favourites.

The Seven (Storm, Laer and Syluné if I must choose. A painful choice indeed)

The Knights (I have currently consumed, with rapacious and indecent haste, 6 chapters of The Sword Never Sleeps. Although these days I don't often find joy in reading, this book has already provided it. Thank you!)

I will second the call for more about Glarasteer Rhauligan, Cormyr in general but certainly more Vangey (the worse mood the better) and dearest El.

More on Azoun would be good but really my interest lies mostly with the female denizens of the forest kingdom. The Steel Regent, for one, is keenly missed as are the Lady Laspeera, Myrmeen Lhal and Tessaril Winter to name but a few... but really, the person I want to hear more about the most is dear Queen Fee (Oh dear heavens yes). Not least because I have a soft spot for that particular regal lady that is sizable enough to show up on satellite images .

...um. Enough rambling now.

Edited by - Iluvrien on 11 Nov 2008 22:37:33
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2893 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  22:37:50  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

No, no, I need your tongue free, but other parts of you tied . . .
Or vice versa (as in me tied, and heavy on the vice, of course).

love,
THO

-

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31689 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  22:52:23  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Not just one fan's. Many fans.

More Mirt, more El, more Mirt, the fates of the Seven Sisters, more Mirt, fates of the Knights of Myth Drannor, more Mirt, Scotti Amcathra, more Mirt, Cormyr stories, more Mirt, where's Vangey and, lest I forget, MORE MIRT.

What about Mirt?
I'll ditto the call for more Mirt love.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  23:00:09  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

Having recently bought (and received through the post) the sound track to the game Mass Effect by Bioware (a Canadian company), I can attest to the slowness of the Canadian post when shipping things overseas (it was almost to the point where I was going to get in touch with Bioware to see what happened).

But on to the meat of my post...

What is it that attracts people to Mirt? I have to admit, I don't get the admiration for him... He disturbs me pretty deeply to be honest.

As for what I'd like to see... Well I think people can guess - I'd like to see more of the female (more of the sort we've already seen - more Myrmeens* for me to develop fancrushes on!) and LGBT denizens of the Realms (give them the spotlight, make them strong (preferably heroes), and for the sake of the goddess don't leave them in the closet!), given that most of my favorites are deceased or out of the limelight in the 4th Edition future. (Sorry folks, I can't really see Wizards asking Ed to write very many novels set in the 3rd Edition and earlier past).

*Myrmeens who don't stay in the closet too, thanks.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31689 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  23:39:46  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

But on to the meat of my post...

What is it that attracts people to Mirt? I have to admit, I don't get the admiration for him... He disturbs me pretty deeply to be honest.
Well, as Ed said "the fat, wheezing, sly Mirt the Moneylender (take Shakespeare’s Falstaff, and add a dash of Poul Anderson’s Nicolas van Rijn and a handful of Glencannon), who’s crafty as they come but too old and slow for great heroics. In some of the tales, he teams up with Durnan, a “thinking-man’s Conan” (strong silent type who isn’t a barbarian ignorant of the lands he’s journeying through, but who, although sensitive, believes laws and authority are usually oppressive, and to be ignored whenever they get in the way)."

That's what does it for me.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3295 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2008 :  23:50:43  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Reading about Mirt and Durnan is a little like getting to see Conan or Fafhrd and the Mouser Twenty Years After. Mirt is one of Ed's most layered characterizations as we've seen him grow into the character as he himself has aged; from his first published appearance we've had this interesting binocular view of him as the young mercenary and the old merchant and ruler. He isn't a narrator/mentor figure twisted into protagonists, like Elminster and the Seven; he wasn't forged by other people, like the Knights; he's just Ed's foremost sword-and-sorcery hero and the lack of Mirt novels is one of the main publishing failures of TSR and Wizards of the Coast.
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  00:28:37  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message
Ed and THO, thank you for the reply.
Zandilar, if I may, I'd like to tackle the er, attractiveness of Mirt, if I may.
(I was discussing this with several of my publishing colleagues recently.)
Many readers, male and female, identify with someone who's too old/weak/whatever to be the familiar, and often boring, action hero - - but gets thrust into that role, and curses, wheezes, stumbles, and lurches along through it.
Many readers like to think there's a heart of gold somewhere inside the hairy chests of some of the coarser males who frequent bars, drive trucks, et al, and Mirt exemplifies this.
Some readers like to watch a sly, not-too-shiningly-honest character swindle his way through life, just to watch the fun or to see if said character will redeem himself by doing good.
Those are a few of the elements we came up with (echoed in many old western movies), that made us agree with what Faraer just said: WotC are idiots for not letting Ed write Mirt novels. He could really be a popular iconic fantasy character.
Does he disturb you because of Asper? Or for other reasons?
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  01:06:58  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Not just one fan's. Many fans.

More Mirt, more El, more Mirt, the fates of the Seven Sisters, more Mirt, fates of the Knights of Myth Drannor, more Mirt, Scotti Amcathra, more Mirt, Cormyr stories, more Mirt, where's Vangey and, lest I forget, MORE MIRT.

What about Mirt?
I'll ditto the call for more Mirt love.

That last phrase of Sage's just queued up the Barry White soundtrack in my head.

Steven
who'll drop in a request for more on Malchor Harpell, the only well-balanced brain in that family tree (because he wasn't dropped on his head from it, apparently)

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  02:11:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring you the latest Realmslore from Ed, this time in response to a recent query from Broken Helm: “Lovely Lady THO and Ed, A question arises about storage of large ships and small boats in winter, along the Dragon Coast (Cormyr and shoreline villages everywhere). Presumably ice would crush the hulls of those left in the water, so . . . just dragged ashore and covered? Sheds or roofs built over them to keep the worst of the winter storms from harming them? Drydocks or boathouses? Small boats brought into barns or stables? Thanks.”
Ed replies:

Yes, winters along the Dragon Coast feature ice that “ices in” harbours and does indeed crush hulls left afloat (i.e. tied to docks), so small boats (open skiffs and rowboats, small fishing boats on those villages you refer to) are indeed dragged ashore, turned over, and covered with roofs (often in earthen “dens,” where boat-sized trenches are cut into a shore-facing hillside, so a boat can be easily roofed by spanning a trench, from earth wall to earth wall (over the boat), with logs or squared timbers laid flat, and then lightly covered with mud or sod to (badly) “seal” the gaps between them. Snow then covers the “hill” and hides the boats from view, making them ideal lairs for small beasts that have been be rousted out of them in spring.
And yes, stables and barns have served as boatsheds for winters, though there’s a risk of fire and of course the structures are usually more useful for keeping livestock alive and healthy, sheltered from the snow, cold, damp, and driving winter storms.
In cities, larger ships are run into drydocks and pulled “up” on wooden rollers (usually by means of teams of mules or oxen, pulling on ropes), into the same dockside sheds that hold cargoes during shipping season. Some ships are suspended on rope cradles, but most large ones sit the winter out in carved-to-fit them wooden “rib” cradles, or are “propped” upright (with wooden props) in drydocks, and refitted throughout the winter months. (Popular “last run before winter” and “first run of spring” cargoes, aside from fresh fruits, are new masts and new sails.)

So saith Ed, creator of the Realms (including the Dragon Coast and its winters).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  02:26:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all! Ed’s back, with ANOTHER Realmslore reply, this time to Wooly Rupert’s query: “I was looking at Dragon #124, earlier. I was specifically reading the article on skyships. The skyship described in the article was said to be Thayan -- but the much later info on Halruaan skyships (FR16 Shining South) was pretty much identical. So that leaves me wondering... Was this ship not Thayan, or was it built using Halruaan techniques? And were the Halruaan techniques the same or different in your Realms?”
Ed replies:

Some Halruaan skyships, dating from the founding (the Netherese diaspora) were VERY different from the skyship described in my DRAGON article. They were the creations of literally scores of Netherese archwizards, who all “went their own way” in the design process, striving separately to craft “ships that could sail the skies” by all manner of different magics. (Yes, they “worked” very differently from each other.)
Later Halruaan skyships were developed from these eccentric originals, and of course STILL varied wildly from each other. Many of them started to make use of the various magics active in Halruaa, interacting with family ward-fields for navigation, safe passage into and out of guarded airspaces, and even to stay aloft.
Gradually, over time, the paranoia of most Halruaan elders regarding “the rest of the Realms” deepened and widened, and they grounded most of these “originals,’ incorporating them into family castles as fully-furnished and –provisioned “getaway craft” for family survival in the face of some dire disaster (er, that is, a disaster that didn’t involve magic going wild or ceasing to work). General wisdom in Halruaa took the view that these older, more powerful unique skyships were “treasures” full of “family secrets” that should be shielded from the eyes of non-Halruaans. So simpler and more standardized trading and “everyday flying” vessels evolved for use in Halruaa and in trading flights to and from the wider Realms - - and this is the sort of craft that was described in FR16.
It also, of course, became the craft non-Halruaan spellcasters could most easily examine and duplicate, hence the Thayan copy described in my DRAGON article.
The Red Wizards could, over time, copy a simple Halruaan trader, but never get to see the “real” Halruaan family skyships that remained at home, increasingly incorporated into Halruaan castles (and thereby “hidden in plain view”).

So saith Ed, who seems to be trying to make up for recent missed lore-reply days!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  02:53:30  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Spells stilled, Scribes:

Oh, Madam Hoody: When and/or I ever become single, you may
do all the above and more to me.

One to my responses: Josidiah Starym, Nezras the Traitor,
( I assume that the girl I asked Ed about that went into
A's Tower in Waterdeep is depicted in Blackstaff Tower)
the Seven Sisters father, the real Manshoon, an adventure
based all around Larloch as he struggles against a Realms wide
problem, So many more, but that is all I can think of at this time.

Oh Father Greenwood, I bring more meat and drink to you royal
office chair and ask more questions that burn in my mind. All this is around Myth Glaurach.

I am starting to construct a accessary type work on Myth Glaurach, and would like a base to start constructing on.

How was the leader of Myth Glaurach chosen? Who were some of the
leaders and what details can be offered up on them? Where there any
holidays that celebrated special events in the cities history?

Who were the influencial elven noble clans, dwarven clans, and prominent archwizards of Netheril that lived there? What were their
political views and business interests? Where there any rivalries?
Was there a population of gnomes, halflings, and other there?

Was was Glaurachyndaar originally building on the hill it was? I have
drawn a map that has five levels of terraces on it. Is that about right? What were the physical dimensions of the hill and/or layers of the terracing. What was the hill made of? What was the primary
building material for the buildings there. Where did they get this material. Was there precious metals and gemstones in the area that
the town mined? What was the intitial reason the town was built: Wayfarers stop, Library storage and retreival, defensive?

End of part 1.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  03:03:13  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Part 2

What are the physical dimensions of the mythal? Was there ever a road that went to Sundabar or Hellgate Keep? How close are the two rivers of the Talons to the hill Myth Glaurach is on?

I have a list of 34 dieties that might have a temple in Myth Glaurach. If you were to
map it, what ruined temples would you include? Were there any philosophical orders like the ones you put in Myth Drannor? For wizards school, did you write down any and/or include their philosophies on magic? Are there any prominent spellcasters you would like to talk about there?

I guess anything you have that you can talk about would be great, but I get the sneaky feeling that I am about to be Not Answered Directly.

I hope this post doesn't blow out you brain or make you pull your beard out.

Althen
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  03:22:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Good stuff! Thanks for the quick reply!

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  03:34:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, scribes!
Ed’s warming my inbox today, indeed!
Good meaty queries, althen (down, scribes, I mean that in an innuendo-free manner), and off they go to Ed.
Who I must say hath awakened with a vengeance!
Wherefore I lay before you yet another screed from him, this time divers replies to recent scribes’ queries and comments!
Without further ado, heeeeeere’s Ed:

createvmind, I’m afraid I can’t venture any official opinion as to the fate of Sarya D, for fear of squashing some future Realms fiction idea someone may have. However, if it makes you feel better, what you’ve outlined doing in your campaign is just how I would handle her, if I was DMing the Realms along that road (my own campaign hasn’t yet reached a time where wider Faerûn has seen or heard of her).

Blueblade, THO and I have both seen and read THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS, yes. :}
She doesn’t want to review it, yet, because she wants scribes to enjoy it “without the influence of her tongue” (which leaves me with an image that I’ll leave to your imagination, mmm hmm), and as for me . . . modesty forbids.

Markustay, your lore explanation for the duplicated Rimlost is fine with me. Of course, as per the Realms agreement, anything on this published later by Wizards of the Coast will override what I say here, but as far as I’m concerned, this is “the way things are” in the Realms (“official” or “canon,” if you will).
I can’t give you population figures for the Windrise Ports yet, because that’s NDA, but consider them all cities, Imdolphyn being the biggest (and as large as many a Sword Coast port city, [so above 50,000]), and Tarmalune having a population steadily growing from the FRCG figure, and an importance rivaling that of Waterdeep.
You also asked about traveling shows. Yes, these are part of established Realmslore (detailed in several of the old Living City sourcebooks, and alluded to in my Volo’s Guides, as well as one of my more recent Realmslore web columns. All of the associated performances and sideshows you listed exist, though they are smaller, less gaudy, and (thanks to magic) different than in our real world.

Jakk, about that commute . . . it’s not (to me) a long one. These days, I travel about 35 miles, each way, along country roads, to a part-time job.
For the first twenty-six or so years of the Realms being published, I was commuting over 100 miles each way, on the busiest expressway on the planet, to a full-time job . . . and caring for more aging family members than I am.
The bottleneck isn’t my commute, it’s MY aging - - and the recent disappearance of most of the print outlets (DRAGON, DUNGEON, the annual Realms sourcebooks and adventures) I used to be able to impart Realmslore through.
Know you, thought, that driving time isn’t wasted time: I commute alone these days (wife having retired), so as I drive, my subconscious is writing, creating, and mulling over stuff. I’m a “radio and in-car music off, no cellphone” sort of driver, who concentrates on (gasp!) my driving, and seeing the surroundings as I do so.

Zandilar, please tell me more about your feelings about Mirt. As for what you’d like to see more of: I’ll try! That’s all I can promise right now (nothing’s “settled” yet), but I Have Ideas (and if things go well, in a month or two I’ll Have Plans! Bwoohahahah!).

Longtime Lurker, I’m afraid your “updates on Vangerdahast” query is going to have to receive a firm “sorry, under NDA right now” from me. Other than to say: I suspect he would still be alive a century after the end of A GRAND HISTORY OF THE REALMS, yes.

Kamuraki, you asked about Storm’s proclivities and if there were any democracies in the Realms. Yes, some widely-scattered rural villages, and the monastic communities of some faiths, are (limited) democracies.
And yes, Storm is someone comfortable sexually with both male and female partners. “Anything more to that” will have to wait for Wizards’ permission, and I suspect Hasbro is going to be more straight-laced about such matters than Wizards-before-Hasbro was.

Vangelor, in reply to Zandilar, you mentioned two minor male elf characters in Elminster in Myth Drannor as possibly gay, and added: “Whether Ed can confirm this without the Morality Code Enforcers shutting us down, I cannot say.”
Well, I can and will confirm it. Those two male elves had of course (I say “of course” because of how “young elves at play” behaved in that elven society, something I gave readers a glimpse of, in the Symrustar trying to seduce Elminster scenes) experienced elven female companionship . . . but had discovered they preferred each other.
You also asked: “Ed, are there any ballads or tales popular in the Sword Coast, Heartlands, Luruar or the lands of the Dragon Reach, which celebrate famous lovers who happen to both have been male? Not that their love need to be what they are famous for, but like Achilles and Patroklos, an element of their tale to deep to omit?”
My answer is yes, but I’m afraid I’m going to have to delve into my backfiles to find examples to share with you.
Let me just name one famous couple: Baerndar and Joszryn, mercenaries who fought alongside each other for years (in the early days of humans venturing up into orc, ogre, dwarf, gnoll, and flind territories in the Dragonreach lands, the Moonsea, and north of the Moonsea), became fast friends and eventually lovers, and died fighting to protect each other.
They are remembered in short tavern-talk tales of their daring exploits, and “everyone knows” the phrase “Baern and Josz” as a shorthand verbal expression for long-established, close-knit male couples. (Who are fairly common among adventurers, mercenaries, and backland woodcutters and miners, but fairly rare elsewhere in the region. The highest number of gay male couples would probably be in the larger Sembian cities, with older males being “in the closet” types who love and make love to long-term trading partners, and younger “dashing handsome young blades” of the feasting and social whirl set being more likely to be “out.” These [“out” and “in the closet”] are of course real-world terms, NOT phrases in use in the Realms.)

Jamallo Kreen, your pyramid-shape question is actually NDA until I can check with a certain designer. However, you also asked about chariot races and the locations of MageFairs, and those are topics I can wag my tongue about . . .
Chariot races have been (and still are, though it’s a sport declining in popularity) held in many Calishite, Tashlutan, and other Southern locales, but they are almost always point-to-point overland races, NOT “around and around an oval” affairs, and they have often involved violence between the racers (though using bows, darts, or other missile weapons has always been considered the worst sort of cheating, hence the Realmsian expression: “He’d loose an arrow as the wheels sing,” meaning he’s the worst sort of cad, as low as someone who’d use archery on competitors during a chariot race).
They are VERY rare in Amn, by the way, because too many important participants got murdered by those betting on such races, and the whole practice fell out of favour.
MageFairs are always held FAR from settled areas, and anyone having temerity enough to find one and try to set up any sort of mundane (or for that matter magical) trade fair nearby would be magically blasted out of profits, wares, and quite possibly life (or at least own usual body shape) in a hurry!

So saith Ed. Whew! He’s on a tear today! I suspect he’ll not be as talkative tomorrow, but who knows? Stay tuned to this thread, as always, for the latest gems of Realmslore!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13818 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  04:03:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
He's not human...

He's just not human...

The man can think of more 'fluff' in an hour then most designers can in a year.

he never ceases to amaze.

Thank you for ALL those answers, not just mine. If anything is going to keep me gaming in the Realms, it's Ed.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  04:41:29  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

He's not human...

He's just not human...

The man can think of more 'fluff' in an hour then most designers can in a year.

he never ceases to amaze.

Thank you for ALL those answers, not just mine. If anything is going to keep me gaming in the Realms, it's Ed.

Amen!

Ed is to say the least!

Makes my work on Ixinos recently feel like a 5th grade essay.

More in line with "Ask Ed" I have a quick one:

Ed, is there any chance that more information about the relationship between Manshoon and Elminster can be had? I always got the feeling that Manshoon had the greatest envy about Elminster; but at the same time had a fondness for him as well. I'd love to hear anything you have to say about what has gone on/is going on between these two in YOUR game...

Visit my Blog Page to find things for YOUR Forgotten Realms!
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  05:16:15  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Hmmm... I would personally like more of Elminster, and the Seven (especially Alasarra and Qilue). Also Myrmeen Lhal, and one of my favorite characters, which I think was underused: Syrumstar Auglamyr (who may be still alive - no body, no death!). The Srinshee (perhaps with El). Oh, how about a get together of 'Elminster's daughters' - that would be excellent. And some Vangey. Maybe with some Chosen of Mystra 'meddling' in his kingdom.
By the way, I also have quite a few questions: El and the SImbul are lovers. But they aren't married, or in aformal state. would it bother The Simbul to find El with someone? And does it bother her about his daughters? If so, what would she do about it?
Is the nobility in Cormyr alawys acting like they did in Cormyr: a Novel?
How upset would Vangey be if he discovered how many of El's daughters are running around in his realm?
Why are the Obarskyrs, dating back to the time of Amedahast, such womanizers (perhaps even before. Gantharla's succesor was known as 'the Bastard', indicating that she never married)?
What percentage of the nobility in Cormyr are actually the bastards of Azoun?
Was Amedahast really killed? After all, Luthax escaped.
Did Alea Dahast keep in touch with the human members of her family?
What does the Srinshee do? She can't always be guarding the Vault of Ages. What did she do after the Fall of Myth Drannor? What did she do after it's reclamation?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Edited by - Menelvagor on 12 Nov 2008 11:16:08
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  06:05:08  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Srinshee!!!

:)
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  07:31:11  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by A Publishing Lackey

Does he disturb you because of Asper? Or for other reasons?

I am a somewhat open minded individual, or at least I hope I am... But the Mirt/Asper relationship really seems to take the cake.

To go through it -

1) Mirt the Merciless slaughters the people of the town that Asper was born in. This includes killing her parents (whether or not he personally wielded the sword that took their lives is beside the point).
2) In a fit of conscience, he spares the life of a female baby still in swaddling cloth (Asper).
3) He raises said child as his own (even carries her into battle on his back in a basket when she was too young to walk). He is effectively Asper's father, certainly a long term father figure in her life.
4) When Asper gets old enough to be interested in boys, she's not interested in boys her age, but her own adoptive father (who is not just old enough to be her father, but probably old enough to be her great grandfather). So she seduces him and they marry.

If I have any point wrong here, please let me know.

What disturbs me most is that no one seems to be worried by this. How this managed to get past TSR and Hasbro's family friendly policies without anyone raising a stink, I have no idea.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 12 Nov 2008 07:41:58
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  10:35:25  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Personally, I would like to see new faces brought into the Realms.
Young new heroes, villains, and anti-heroes.
I do add new characters in the adventures for LFR, but there is a limit on what you can put into an adventure - novels are better to give characters a face.
So I hope that Ed's novels will have some new young hero(in)es (and he is free to expand on some of mine ;) )
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  11:22:58  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message
I too would be interested in learning more of Mirt and Durnan's shared and separate past.
I'd also like to see Dove get some more... er... love, and attention. Most everyone seems to prefer the other Seven Sisters before her.
Tales of Manshoon and Halaster (and/or his heirs and apprentices)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000