Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  21:38:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Bang on, Blueblade! Rino, you've got it right, too: Ed related the "party line" of what priests tell parents; because of this stance, parents don't tell "holy tales" to young children (who might innocently blab to a priest later), but DO tell them to pre-teens and teens when appropriate for "life lessons." Parents also, Ed has told me, proudly and freely tell tales where a god directly met or manifested for a family member or ancestor.
Moreover, most taverns will have priests telling such stories in return for ale or a few coins - - and some local taverns (in hamlets and villages) DO regularly have small children attending, even of evenings, with their parents.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  22:37:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Aureus

Dear Ed, THO
I sure this question has been asked many times before, but what would you do, what would likely be your job if you weren't auther/inventer of FR?

Ed's a librarian. His writing has been in addition to that.
And Ed's touched on his librarian ways several times in his replies here. They're always interesting reading.
quote:
The lovely Lady Hooded One has not shared her occupation. Despite her visibility on our forums, she actually maintains a high degree of privacy when it comes to her personal data... I've got a possible idea for what she does, but out of respect for her privacy, I've never publicly speculated on it.
Indeed. I've a few thoughts on that myself, but I'd rather we not continue this particular discussion, as the Lady Hooded One has made it clear that she would like to maintain a strict privacy policy with respect to such personal details.
quote:
She has dropped some tidbits here and there, but that's it.

Yes, and they've *nothing* to do with her supposed antics here at Candlekeep.

Seriously, they're subtle tidbits, but it's always fun to try and pinpoint exactly what's been said.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  22:40:52  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Knowing that I'm all too busy tomorrow, I just popped in to wish Lady THO and Ed (and, naturally, all the scribes and sages here at the 'Keep), a Merry Christmas!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  23:48:41  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO

Happy holidays to you both! I hate to admit it, but I've never read any Fritz Leiber and have decided to remedy this. If you two could suggest just one of the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser books, which would it be?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  00:32:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Bang on, Blueblade! Rino, you've got it right, too: Ed related the "party line" of what priests tell parents; because of this stance, parents don't tell "holy tales" to young children (who might innocently blab to a priest later), but DO tell them to pre-teens and teens when appropriate for "life lessons." Parents also, Ed has told me, proudly and freely tell tales where a god directly met or manifested for a family member or ancestor.
Moreover, most taverns will have priests telling such stories in return for ale or a few coins - - and some local taverns (in hamlets and villages) DO regularly have small children attending, even of evenings, with their parents.
love to all,
THO

Thanks for clarifying that, THO. And Markus your input was appreciated as well.

Merry Christmas everyone! Santa's on his way, in his sleigh!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  03:22:30  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
Not all that happy with recent reply, however the daylight grows longer and may all enjoy time with family and frieds. I know this thread is ending soon as the New Year comes upon us. It is a time to look forward to less NDAs and more ansers from a long pile of lists.

I wish well all on the forum clothed or not their best desires and wishes to come true.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  06:47:36  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Happy holidays, first of all.
Second, recently you mentioned names, and wondered how many Alusair's, Narnra's, Alasarra's, etc. came from Ed's writing. I wanted to ask a question regarding names:
Did you know that if one translates Alasarra phonetically into Hebrew, it comes out 'Storm Goddess' (Ala-Goddess, Sarra-Storm)? Was this the meaning? Or is this some accidental wordplay you were not aware of?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

AnthonyNYC
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  06:50:03  Show Profile  Visit AnthonyNYC's Homepage Send AnthonyNYC a Private Message
Hello from New York City,

Just wanted to wish everyone Happy Holidays!!!

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  15:36:54  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Did you know that if one translates Alasarra phonetically into Hebrew, it comes out 'Storm Goddess' (Ala-Goddess, Sarra-Storm)? Was this the meaning? Or is this some accidental wordplay you were not aware of?

-There's plenty of (seemingly) non-intentional "tidbits" like that, especially concerning Netheril.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2008 :  18:40:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring Ed's reply to this, from Alorin Dawn: "Ed & THO, Happy holidays to you both! I hate to admit it, but I've never read any Fritz Leiber and have decided to remedy this. If you two could suggest just one of the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser books, which would it be?"
Ed replies:

I would suggest SWORDS & DEVILTRY, which is chronologically the first book in the collected series. It contains the "origin" stories for them both, and the one for Fafhrd (who was modelled on Fritz himself) perfectly captures the character. Then it presents the Hugo award-winning "Ill Met In Lankhmar," which tells the tale of how the two heroes met.
If you had to choose just one story to read now, to give you a "feel" for the series, I'd either go later in the series and either read "The Sadness of the Executioner" (first published in Lin Carter's "Flashing Swords" anthology series), which is lightweight but captures Leiber's style, or the classic "Thieve's House" story (which is in the second book of the series [Wikipedia has a good basic overview of what was published when]). These books go in and out of print, but there have been many editions of them, and they should be easily obtainable secondhand. The stories in the middle of the series are ESSENTIAL urban swords-and-sorcery classics.

So saith Ed.
Who also says, Menelvagor, that, yes, he knows about Alassra and has built other linguistic tricks and meanings into other Realms character names (mainly in the process of trying to make sure he didn't unintentionally duplicate real-world names with meanings he DIDN'T want to evoke).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  17:35:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Ed is back briefly from a WONDERFUL family get-together for Christmas dinner (after an orgy of gift-giving at home) to give us another tidbit of Realmslore, this time in response to this recent query from Kajehase: "In 1372 DR, who was the richest merchant in Aglarond? What did he deal in? What was her relation to the Simbul and the royal court? to foreign powers?"
Ed replies:

In 1372 DR, the richest merchant in Aglarond was Aerlathra "Manycloaks" Dethoaran, a grey-haired, fifty-ish granddaughter of Alustriel (though she's only vaguely aware of her heritage, having grown up exclusively in Aglarond). Swift-witted and a shrewd judge of character (and with a nickname drawn from her only "vice," which is building a collection of magnificent cloaks for her personal use), she lives in a modest house with walled garden, that's attached to her streetfront office, a long bowshot below (closer to the harbour) from The Simbul's palace (in Aglarond's capital).
Aerlathra is primarily a moneylender and commodities broker (buying or trading for bulk cargoes with shipcaptains, and then reselling them to peddlers and regional caravan merchants), but she also imports select "specialties" (particular tobacco blends, wines and spirits, perfumes, sauces, and alchemical substances (essences of this and that, scales and scraps of hide and flesh, powdered metals, et cetera) from afar; in other words, expensive exotic goods for purchasers who demand or require specific hard-to-obtain-in-Aglarond-and-Telflamm items or materials, and are willing to pay much to get "the real stuff." Her profits are ploughed into real estate and into greenhouses and other "specific crops" farming in Aglarond, and into paying apprenticeships for the children of the poor, in return for X amount of time of their skilled services, once they're trained (in practise, she often sponsors such craftworkers in their own new shops, up and down Aglarond). Over the years, she has become fabulously wealthy by doing this, and also built up a large network of homes that can be used as "safe houses" or hideholds by Harpers and clients on the run. She keeps a low public profile and doesn't spend ostentatiously. She and The Simbul are good friends, despite the Witch-Queen watching her activities VERY closely. (In 2nd Edition terms, Aerlathra is about a Rog4/Ftr2, with alchemical secondary skills.)

So saith Ed, Creator of the Realms and still, if you total things up, the majority of what's in it. He'll have more Realmslore replies in the waning days of 2008, ahead, he promises.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  20:24:29  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message
Is there a compiled list of Cormyrian laws somewhere, or is it just a case of we need a law here, time for a proclamation as needed?

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  22:16:12  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Ed and The Hooded One,

Thinking a bit on war in the Forgotten Realms I latched onto the topic of Lashan of Scardale. What was the motivating force behind this man attempting to conquer the Dales?

I realized power-hungry men do things...but what was his reasoning in believing he could pull it off?

Did he: come into a vast fortune, find a great number of magical artifacts (and I use that term as a metaphor, meaning "items" I suppose), have a very militant Dale where a majority of the male population was trained in combat...

What, if any, contingencies did he propose to use IF he (and we know he DID) goaded a larger power to work against him? He had to know at least Sembia wasn't going to take lightly to his attempt. Did he have secret backers in Sembia...or control over certain men of authority?

Or, like so many would be tyrants, was he just not one to think these things through?

I'm greatly puzzled by his attempt to so sweepingly attempt such a massive conquest all at once instead of piecemeal and slowly such as Germany did before World War II...you know, just so you test the waters and don't step on any giant toes that might lift up with the rest of the foot and step on you.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  23:45:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

Is there a compiled list of Cormyrian laws somewhere, or is it just a case of we need a law here, time for a proclamation as needed?

The laws of Cormyr are briefly touched on in both the 1e and 2e FR boxed sets. As well, Volo's Guide to Cormyr.

Ed's shared some tidbits too in his compiled replies here. And Brian "Garen Thal" Cortijo managed to sneak this little snippet into a previous discussion on the subject:-

"To answer the last bit first, remember that as the DM, while you don't want to hand-hold or nose-lead your players, you're still in charge of everything that isn't a player decision. This includes the travelling caravans, portals, and ships that would carry the PCs out of Cormyr. Even PC funds (which would pay for horses, food, and/or lodging) are, in the end, controlled by the DM; you're not required to give them extra gold to pay for the expense of travel. Not that you should force them to stay in Cormyr, or anywhere else. But in the Realms, as in life, travelling costs money. Role-playing is all about choices and the costs the represent.

To the heart of your question, most non-violent crimes in Cormyr are punished by fines or forced labor of some sort. The nature and duration of the punishment is commensurate with the severity of the offense: stealing a loaf of bread from a baker's window might require payment for the bread, the broken window, and an additional fine as a penalty ("punitive damages" in modern parlance). Of course, if you're stealing bread, you probably can't afford a fine, so it's forced labor for you: possibly a tenday's work in the baker's service--chopping firewood, pumping bellows, kneading dough, and the like.

In this specific case, a parentless minor--I'm assuming somewhere in between the "magic" numbers of true minority (12) and full majority (17)--would receive a different punishment depending on the location of the crime and the disposition of both the wronged (the new owners) and the local Purple Dragons.

Suzailan Dragons have a dimmer view of thieving children than Marsemban (who often don't pay any mind) or Arabellan (who have bigger fish to fry). In Suzail, the child would probably be subjected to a month of obligatory service: keeping the Promenade clean, porting water, rations, and supplies inside the Citadel of the Purple Dragon, etc. In Arabel or Marsember, it'd probably be something similar, though the punishment would also include non-critical message-running, and might be just a tenday or two.

For an adult, you're looking at at least a month--up to three--of harder labor: paving roads, digging ditches and trenches, dredging the Starwater or Immerflow, clearing damaged fields, moving off carrion... that sort of thing. For adventurers, this can usually be replaced with some sort of dangerous mission or quest. If they succeed, their offense is forgiven. If they die in the trying, their crime no longer matters. An adventuring company that agrees to such an assignment, but abdicates the responsibility, would be hunted as outlaws."

As for an actual and complete listing however, well, while I'm sure either Ed and/or Brian has one stashed somewhere, it's never actually seen official publication.

Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  18:29:20  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message
That kind of helps, but I'm more curious as to what all constitutes law breaking in general. Some things are obvious (stealing, killing, being any sort of threat to the safety and security of the kingdom), but what are the more day to day laws that folk need to be concerned with.

The DM can't enforce the laws if he doesn't know what the laws are.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  23:53:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Well then, I'm sure either Ed and/or Brian could address that. You might want to also cross-post your question to Brian's scroll here, as well.

Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2008 :  09:15:55  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
Not a query, but I just wanted to use this opportunity to wish all scribes, but especially EG and THO, a marry Christmas (yeah, too late, I know).

I have not played in FR for a long, long time, and chances are that I won't do so in the near future. But I still visit the Candlekeep forums, for the good atmosphere, to which the Jolly Greenwood Giant contributes to no end. I am always impressed by the questions the CK members come up with, but I am even more impressed by the massive replies ED and THO provide - ranging from the cosmic to minute details. Even if I don't use FR as much as I'd like to, I (and every RPG-er) can make use of just about anything EG hands out, either for direct use, or as inspiration ("oh, so that's how you do this kind of thing"). This is great stuff, and for that: my thanks and heartfelt appreciation.

Alright then, a query. Ed, you must have thousands of ideas going through your mind at any one time - how do you keep track of those? Do you carry around a notebook (I personally like the little spiral-bound ones, very handy) to jot down some keywords whenever a new idea hits?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2008 :  16:17:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Ed is still inundated by family (and enjoying every minute; THREE turkey dinners thus far, plus an incredibly superb restaurant meal at The Palm in Port Hope), but wants to reply to Thauramarth, thus:

Hi, and thank you very much for the kind words; writing is essentially a solitary business, so hearing that folks appreciate what you do (yes, over and over again) is always appreciated. Notebooks would be a great idea, but TSR (and all of the other publishersI've worked with, since) have trained me so thoroughly to always use computers that I always carry a little leather pocket fold full of 3"x5" tear-off notepads in my pocket, write notes on individual pages, and transfer them to the computer first chance I get. Yes, my study is awash in little slips of paper (big checkmark across writing means transferred, absence of same means not, yet). Yes, this is messy, but it's what works for me, in my current three novels-plus-two-big-game-products-plus-innumerable-short-stories-and-web-articles annual pace.
And although I can't say anything more yet, I have been having SUCH fun in the Realms these last few weeks. Picture me as wearing a big smile.
True story, from the wild family shopping pre-Christmas: in a bookstore, toddler stares at me and does the usual: "Santa!"
Slightly older brother looks at the tike scornfully, and says: "THAT'S not Santa. That's someone way more important! That's ED GREENWOOD!"
*Blush*
Thanks, kid. (Want to be my publicist?)
I'd best get back to the wildness now, so may 2009 be happy and prosperous for us all. Scribes, the Realms is NOT DEAD, so keep those questions coming as the new year unfolds!
love to all,
Ed

So saith Ed. And I'll add, as we roll around together in all the warm cozy love of the Keep,
love to all from me, too!
THO
Go to Top of Page

MrJake
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  02:21:17  Show Profile  Visit MrJake's Homepage Send MrJake a Private Message
Please excuse me if this question has been asked before, but....

Can you give any enlightenment regarding Khelbun Blacktstaff's Tel'Teukiira prophecy? Specifically the identity of "the three who wait in darkness" and "the Prefects."

Thanks in advance, and for a great campaign world.

MrJake

The road goes ever on and on,
Down from my door where it began.
Now far ahead the road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  03:26:04  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
I'll say it before Ed does so he doesn't have to. :) It's NDA and NDA. :)

quote:
Originally posted by MrJake

Please excuse me if this question has been asked before, but....

Can you give any enlightenment regarding Khelbun Blacktstaff's Tel'Teukiira prophecy? Specifically the identity of "the three who wait in darkness" and "the Prefects."

Thanks in advance, and for a great campaign world.

MrJake

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

MrJake
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  04:23:36  Show Profile  Visit MrJake's Homepage Send MrJake a Private Message
What does NDA mean?

MrJake
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  04:29:22  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Non Disclosure Agreement. :) Most authors, and other people, sign them to say they won't discuss things that a company might be working on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-disclosure_agreement

quote:

What does NDA mean?

MrJake

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 29 Dec 2008 04:30:23
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  04:31:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
NDA = "Non Disclosure Agreement."

Basically, it means that Ed can't say too much about the subject matter of a particular question because it's either being currently featured in something he's writing [or will be soon], or it's something the folks at WotC may be working on.

Go to Top of Page

MrJake
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  05:21:53  Show Profile  Visit MrJake's Homepage Send MrJake a Private Message
Ahh, got it. Had to sign a couple of those myself.

Given the changes in the FR setting, I just figured that particular aspect of the Realms had bee discarded. Any chance you could mention it to him anyway, just on the off-chance its not off limits?

MrJake
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  05:36:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Yup yup, if he can comment he will but he has a lot of NDA's that go back 20 years to some next year. :) I just have a feeling, due to the events about Khelben, that your questions are NDA. :)

quote:

Given the changes in the FR setting, I just figured that particular aspect of the Realms had bee discarded. Any chance you could mention it to him anyway, just on the off-chance its not off limits?

MrJake

Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  06:04:57  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

That kind of helps, but I'm more curious as to what all constitutes law breaking in general. Some things are obvious (stealing, killing, being any sort of threat to the safety and security of the kingdom), but what are the more day to day laws that folk need to be concerned with.

The DM can't enforce the laws if he doesn't know what the laws are.

Alot of the laws that have been published are pretty much the same or close from region to region, as far as the basic laws and punishments.

The four basic areas alot cover are: Crimes Against the Lords, Crimes Against the City, Crimes Against the Gods and Crimes Against Citizens.

If you check out the City of Splendors: Waterdeep (3.5) book they talk about the four and what areas each cover and some of the punishments but on a wide range and not specific laws.

If you can get a hold of or a look at the booklet from the AD&D City System box (1988), by Jeff Grubb and Ed, which covers Waterdeep, pages 7 to 9 cover the legal code with the most common sentence(s) after each of the crimes listed.

If you can't find that booklet, there is also a 2nd edition, City of Splendors Campaign Guide book from 1994, by Stephen Schend and Ed, that has the same Crimes and Sentences on pages 77 to 79.

Dragon 334 has an article by Ed on the city of Crimmor, in Amn, and has a chart on page 33 of Crimes and Sentences. While it isn't split into the 4 sections, you will still see most of the same laws with their respective punishments.

These should give you a good start...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  06:06:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

MrJake

Indeed. As Kuje said above, if Ed's able to comment on the question you've asked, you can be certain you'll have a reply eventually.

But, again as Kuje noted, given recent developments with Khelben in both Blackstaff and Blackstaff Tower, I'd imagine questions specifically focusing on the prophecy will linger in NDA territory for some time.

Go to Top of Page

MrJake
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  06:12:57  Show Profile  Visit MrJake's Homepage Send MrJake a Private Message
Great. Thanks. Altho, I must admit, it was the "events about Khelben" that made me think it was safe to talk about now.

MrJake

The road goes ever on and on,
Down from my door where it began.
Now far ahead the road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can.
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  08:10:58  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
Ed also responded back on 23 Oct 2005 to a question on laws in Secomber. Check page 73 of the 2005 answers where he states, "Here, then, is Secomber’s Code of Justice (which is VERY typical of local legal codes throughout the Heartlands, by the way):" and then goes on to list the crimes and their punishments, though you need the key from the 2nd edition book for the punishments.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  14:33:22  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
Vendui The Hooded One!

My alter ego is head and shoulders into the revision of The Knights of Myth Drannor III and when typing the headline it noted that the title of the book does not exactly match up to the sword involved. For while the latter is Armaukran - "The Sword That Never Sleeps", the book is called "The Sword Never Sleeps". Now, the latter could simply rever to the ongoing blade-quarrels the protagonists face up to, but my alter ego wondered whether it was simply a publisher's omission of "that"?
Furthermore, we have now seen the appearance of Torm and Rathan and they are heading in the same direction as the Knights. Will we see another book about those heroes and heroines anytime soon ... or will the 4E Realms take centre stage for the forseeable future?

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000