Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  03:48:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I bring ye all the latest words of Ed, who is delighted by The Sage’s recent question about Realms tales that parents tell to children, and promises an answer as soon as he has time to give a good one (he’s MADLY busy again, right now).
My thanks Ed. Both Narnra and I are really looking forward to it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  12:48:50  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message
Thanks Ed/THO for the quick response, and thanks for the realmslore.
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  19:05:52  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
Hello, hello.

A simple question this time, to offset my streak(ing).

Regarding Alusair and her infrequent state of dress, you said "There’s a certain amount of twitting the older nobles and noble wannabes and thrusting into their faces what the younger generation is capable of..."

Does this mean that activists like Alusair are a new development in the Realms?

It sounds either like that, or "Hey, I'm still young, all my parts stay in place without corsets that could strangle horses." It sounds like, rather than the older generation passing the torch on to the younger, the younger generation is wresting it from them.

An addendum to the question above, does this relationship between the younger and older generations repeat as the young become old, or do the different generations handle it in new ways?

Not as simple as I had intended...

All the best.

Edit: Grammar's not that important...

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.

Edited by - GoCeraf on 17 Dec 2008 22:22:45
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  19:21:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Every generation has a highly idealized version of their own past... Just about any older person will see a younger person doing something and disdainfully proclaim that they didn't do things like that in their day -- but the truth is, they did, and their elders said the same thing.

It's like Marty McFly's mom in the beginning of "Back to the Future". She's uptight about his relationship with his girlfriend, and says that she never would have acted the same -- but then Marty meets his mom as a teenager, and she can barely keep her hands off of him.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  02:18:49  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Thats easy... they use the Durothil Decimal System.

Invented by Melvildryn Durothil, perhaps?

But I wonder which kind of official classification systems have been used during different eras in (elven) libraries?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  02:59:01  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Greetings, Milady THO and Ed!

I have been running a Pathfinder Beta playtest campaign, which is set in Thunderstone, in Cormyr. I have written a lot of material for it, but since a lot of the events in the campaign have taken place outside the town, the players have not interacted a lot with NPCs outside their "inner" circle (i.e. families and shopkeepers and prominent allies, such as tutors). I'm still fleshing out details, and filling in stuff as the campaign progresses and the PCs are drawn deeper into local intrigue, and therefore I have a plethora of questions for you:

1) Which noble families have holdings in or around Thunderstone?

2) Are there any "extinct" local noble families, who might have dabbled into necromancy and/or demon worship, and were either exiled or executed or imprisoned?

3) Which sort of presence do the Heralds and Harper and Zhentarim agents have in Thunderstone -- i.e. do stay just "stay put" and observe, or have an active presence in the area?

4) Are there any notable castles or keeps in or near Thunderstone?

5) Which religions have shrines (or even temples) in or around Thunderstone? I've already included shrines to Tymora, Tempus, Chauntea, Silvanus (outside the town) and Torm -- some of these due to PC backgrounds -- but I'd like to hear from you if I have forgotten an "obvious" deity from that list.

6) Which demihuman races have any "presence" in Thunderstone? Is it alright to assume that whole families of gnomes, halflings and dwarves live and work there? Any lost (i.e. forgotten) dwarven or gnome clan holds/strongholds nearby?

7) Can you give any details about the Realm of Wailing Fog?
8) Does Stag's Skull Bridge have any sort of barracks/buildings for the Dragons stationed there, or do they just march to guard the bridge in shifts? Does it have any other buildings, or perhaps even fortifications (such as a barbican)?

A thousand thanks in advance!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  03:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Milady THO,

I'm (finally) in the middle of reading 'The Sword Never Sleeps', and I must say that to me it feels to be the best novel from Ed I've read to date -- 'Cormyr: A Novel', 'Silverfall', 'City of Splendors' and the books in the 'Shandril Saga' included (all of which I hold in very high regard -- regardless of some of them suffering from butch... uh, poor editing ;). I think Ed has portrayed all the characters and their motives in a very believable light (I just *LOVE* the dialogue and interaction between the characters and their individual personalities -- whether they're Royal Princesses or Court Wizards or Purple Dragon officers or Zhentarim agents). And, there's so much attention to detail and nuances, both in the story and the language. Somehow I feel that Ed would have had more time and energy to spend on this book, because the "tone" underlying the writing seems to be much more... how to say it... light-hearted? Relieved? Excited? Of course, I may be wrong, but to me it feels like a lot more free of pressure (and other hardships) I know Ed had been under.

I'm just *so* excited about this novel, and hope that you convey my humble thanks to Ed for writing this novel -- it feels like a true gem among all the "required reading" I've lately done (for professional reasons, as Ed surely knows). And I also wish to thank him for including so many juice, inspiring ideas and details that I can st... er, borrow into my Cormyr-campaign!

A truly *GREAT* novel, and a "must-read" for all FR fans!

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  15:21:24  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I know "me too" posts are generally frowned upon, but I have to echo Asgetrion's praise for THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS.
WHAT a book! Without great thundering battles or gods striding on to make cameos, without any "the fate of the world hangs on our improbable little quest" stuff, this novel is gold. It "feels" real when you're reading it, not a series of serve-the-plot scenes where characters speak the lines they've been given. You start to believe that you're glimpsing moments in the lives of real people who will continue on to their next meal, or their job, or a visit to the jakes, once "the eye of the book" is off them.
If this is "real Ed, now," let's have lots more of it!

BB
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  21:24:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Rino asked, so I explained.

And I appreciate that.

quote:
Please note also: in real life, most of us look better with our clothes ON. This is a tactic only for the fortunate few.

Yes, like me (if I were so inclined, of course).

quote:
Geez, Rino, I’m wordy. Pray accept my apologies; I do run on at the mouth.

No, don't apologize, hearing what you have to say about this subject is delightful. Alusair (among other characters) has really come alive for me over the years thanks to replies like this.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2008 :  06:55:23  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

VERY nicely put, see.
Yep, I think that describes the can of worms perfectly.
<snip>
By Azuth, Mystra, and the other Snatched-Away Gods, I want to see that Lineage document!!!!!
BB

You're not the only one, Blueblade... but you already knew that, if you've followed my frustrations in Garen Thal's thread and this one.

Anyway, doing my best to leave that particularly delectable NDA alone for the present, as per The Sage's request...

Ed, is there anything about the Shadevari beyond the fragment that's in Faiths & Avatars and Faiths & Pantheons that isn't locked up tight by NDA? Apologies if I've asked this one already; I need to keep track of my "questions asked" more effectively, now that they're starting to add up.

Many thanks, and Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, etc., to you and yours, Ed, THO, and my fellow seekers of wisdom... because I'm going to try very hard not to ask any more questions until the New Year.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 19 Dec 2008 06:57:21
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2008 :  15:46:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
GoCeraf, Wooly has it right. Each generation repeats this behaviour, so no, Alusair isn't among the first activists, she's one among a long, long sequence.
However, in her particular situation (and this comes from Ed; we've discussed this many a time over the years), it's Alusair seeing an older generation of nobles who are hostile or at least disdainful toward the Obarskyrs, and almost as resentful or dismissive of their duties and place in the realm of Cormyr (wanting the benefits and special treatment without any of the obligations or "being good citizens"), and wanting to "fix" that for their children (heirs AND spares), by building personal friendships and shared "fighting alongside each other" experiences to foster strong bonds of loyalty. To her, yes, but to her so she can "stand up for the realm" and end up with 'her' generation of nobles who aren't nearly so decadent and anti-Crown. She can generally only "reach" young noble males (as opposed to females) because it's the young males who will agree to the military service that ends up in them "riding the northlands" with her. (Among female nobles, most publicly sneer at her, or sneer at her when under the eye of their own parents and elderly relatives, but secretly admire her. Some openly admire her, too. She's the rebel against parental authority and expected behaviour that they long to be, but dare not try to be.
Again, this reading of the situation isn't mine alone; I'm paraphrasing Ed here. Alusair is a fascinating person, with many more sides to her than just the "tomboy." Tanalasta is far more typical of female nobles, albeit that she as an Obarskyr who will conceivably end up as the head of the royal family one day, is far more disciplined and trained and restricted and self-controlled than most female nobles ever bother to be (unless they have VERY strict parents).
The norm among noble parents, of Azoun IV's generation (that Alusair sees as the problem) is to "parent" their children when said offspring are in their presence, and ignore them the rest of the time, trusting in perhaps-indulgent, perhaps-frightened or even -bullied by their noble charges servants and hired tutors to "rear them properly" rather than the parents doing so, themselves.
Ed is interested in exploring human relationships, not in pointing fingers at our modern real world and making judgments, by the way. As he said: individuals are different, and so what's "right" is different in every single situation or relationship, too. Blindly-applied hard and fast rules are often more of a problem than "problems" they're intended to "fix."
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2008 :  18:42:07  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
Thanks, THO. Very informative.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2008 :  20:22:30  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all.
I bring Ed’s latest reply, fresh from reducing grown adults to tears at the Port Hope library, with a unabashedly sentimental Christmas story (Farley Mowat quote of the evening: “All right, I want to know who put apple juice in my whiskey!”).
As before, Ed has tackled divers questions.

... (snip) ...

Ed replies:

Well “for good” is a long time, now, isn’t it? As Rose Tyler found out, a time or two . . .
Ahem. Realms, not the many worlds of The Doctor.

(snip)

So saith Ed. ...
love to all,
THO

Steady, please, one and all -- in this market "Dr. Who" is syndicated a couple of years behind the British (and Canadian?) schedule. Our most recent season (that's "series" to some of you) ended with the new Doctor just appearing and with Rose proclaiming that "Bad Wolf" is everywhere because she -- Rose? Tardis? Quien sabe? -- had been the one plastering it all over time and space.

Which is a lovely opportunity to ask my next question: We know (I think!) that El uses World Walk to visit Ed, but are there ways to intentionally visit Earth in different time periods if one departs from Toril in the 14th century DR? (I mean the real Toril, by the way, just so that we're clear on the when and where.)

In Ed's multiverse, is Earth available to access by spelljammer ships, and if so, in what year do they coming sailing in? (Heard on the wharf: "I know Klaatu, and that isn't him.") Perhaps The Sage will please be so kind as to repost again the URL for the Spelljammer fan site; I know they have at least one map showing Earth's presumed location vis-a-vis other crystal spheres.

Third, in Ed's conception of the multiverse, are there powers (or Powers) associated with Earth which prevent genuine time travel, to Earth's past or future, as Toril has?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 19 Dec 2008 20:27:37
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2008 :  22:52:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Perhaps The Sage will please be so kind as to repost again the URL for the Spelljammer fan site; I know they have at least one map showing Earth's presumed location vis-a-vis other crystal spheres.
You mean the "Beyond the Moons" site?

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2008 :  23:31:45  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
However, in her particular situation (and this comes from Ed; we've discussed this many a time over the years), it's Alusair seeing an older generation of nobles who are hostile or at least disdainful toward the Obarskyrs, and almost as resentful or dismissive of their duties and place in the realm of Cormyr (wanting the benefits and special treatment without any of the obligations or "being good citizens"), and wanting to "fix" that for their children (heirs AND spares), by building personal friendships and shared "fighting alongside each other" experiences to foster strong bonds of loyalty. To her, yes, but to her so she can "stand up for the realm" and end up with 'her' generation of nobles who aren't nearly so decadent and anti-Crown. She can generally only "reach" young noble males (as opposed to females) because it's the young males who will agree to the military service that ends up in them "riding the northlands" with her. (Among female nobles, most publicly sneer at her, or sneer at her when under the eye of their own parents and elderly relatives, but secretly admire her. Some openly admire her, too. She's the rebel against parental authority and expected behaviour that they long to be, but dare not try to be.

I find this fascinating, but ultimately I think Alusair is doomed simply by the restricted number of people she's appealing to. She can't possibly include every single last eligible noble male in her band of blades (remembering that not all of them would be interested, or would be just as sneeringly derisive of her as their parents or would brag about bedding the "Whore of Cormyr" and drag her name through the mud (lying about her "perversions" and damn the consequences)), and Cormyr is oppressive enough of their females that at least some of the ones who admire her would be crushed by their families (except for the few who would be like Alusair herself - true rebels) - not all female admirers of Alusair need be tough "want to go out riding and fighting with the boys", and the more delicate pro-Alusair ones almost certainly would be married to other nobles their family approve of or would have an advantage being allied to (usually with the same prevailing attitudes towards the Crown) - where their softer voices would not necessarily be heard.

I'm pretty pessimistic, as you can tell, and it might be that she does have a strong influence over the youth of Cormyr, but I can't see it lasting much beyond a generation or two, simply because of the tiny proportion of the population Alusair could realistically reach... and while she's having her influence on her small circle, there's a much larger circle of anti-Obarskyr nobles who are also having an influence on their young. In other words, the anti crowd will out breed the Alusair influenced pro crowd. (But of course, that's very simplistic and isn't taking into account everything that might happen, including attitudes towards the two Kings who followed Alusair's regency.)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  01:44:56  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Which is a lovely opportunity to ask my next question: We know (I think!) that El uses World Walk to visit Ed, but are there ways to intentionally visit Earth in different time periods if one departs from Toril in the 14th century DR? (I mean the real Toril, by the way, just so that we're clear on the when and where.)

I think I remember this right. Elminster's Safehold had at least two portals, known as gates at the time, one leading to Ed's study, presumably in present day. And another portal leading to Yellowstone 1984.

As for syncing up the two worlds times. Grand History of the Realms has an entry for 1357 DR where Ed of the Greenwood assembles the first publication of the Forgotten Realms with El's help. So match 1357 DR to the dating of the first Realms publication and you can get an approximate sync. And if you don't have Grand History of the Realms go get a few copies it an awesome book!

Of course nothing says time must flow the same on both planes take, Faerie for instance it has a much slower time flow.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  01:58:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Sort of.
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

I think I remember this right. Elminster's Safehold had at least two portals, known as gates at the time, one leading to Ed's study, presumably in present day. And another portal leading to Yellowstone 1984.
Elminster's Holdout in Realmspace has a portal to Ed's study and library at his home, and to Yellowstone in 1894.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  03:05:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
REAL 1894, or the one from the Weird West games?

Now, Elminster visiting that Earth would be VERY interesting.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Dec 2008 03:06:22
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  03:50:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
From SJR2 Realmspace pg. 52:- "This is none other than Wyoming's Yellowstone National Park in the year 1894."

I would assume this means our Earth in 1894.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  04:10:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I can't wait for Ed's replies to The Sage re. storytelling (and hope the annual Descent of Family For A Tenday Or More At Christmas on him doesn't delay his replies too much), or to these time travel, spelljamming, and portal/gate questions.
Zandilar, I sent your latest post (re. Alusair's attempts to "bring the lads into her camp," so to speak), and he replied:

I think your pessimism is unfortunately pretty close to accurate, I'm afraid. Yet from Alusair's point of view, she's doing what she wants to do, to "fix" or better matters for Cormyr, for HER years ahead (and unless we have magic or undeath to live beyond our normal span of years, that's all any of us can ever achieve).
I really wish I could answer you more fully, but NDAs prevent. I'll hint this much, though: I have considered Cormyr's future at great length and in great detail, for professional reasons, though more than a little time may pass before any result of this appears anywhere but in my own head (and on my own computer). Sigh.

So saith Ed. Who is deep in a bitter winter storm at the moment, and experiencing both Net connection and power outages from time to time.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  04:18:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all. I can't wait for Ed's replies to The Sage re. storytelling (and hope the annual Descent of Family For A Tenday Or More At Christmas on him doesn't delay his replies too much), or to these time travel, spelljamming, and portal/gate questions.
Now I'm really anxious.

My Lady, would you come to my chamber to help calm me down... just a little?

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Dec 2008 04:19:32
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  04:25:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

I'm pretty pessimistic, as you can tell, and it might be that she does have a strong influence over the youth of Cormyr, but I can't see it lasting much beyond a generation or two, simply because of the tiny proportion of the population Alusair could realistically reach...

I think one fact is being overlooked here: she's influencing her generation -- the future heads of the noble houses. Every one of her supporters who ascends to the head of his family is going to be one who influences the rest of his house -- particularly his own offspring -- to be loyal to the Crown. Granted, not all of her blades are heirs, and undoubtedly at least one of her loyal blades will eventually shift his loyalties elsewhere -- but having the dedicated loyalty of a dozen houses or so can only help the Crown.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  04:29:34  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
-In trying to match different chronologies, Brian's "A Temporal Chronology of the Primes" might be useful.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 20 Dec 2008 04:30:14
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  07:08:31  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Now I'm really anxious.

My Lady, would you come to my chamber to help calm me down... just a little?

I wish I were allowed to say stuff like that.

Another one, if I may.

Mr. Greenwood, what sort of knowledge do the scholars of the Realms have on nonmagical scientific topics like chemistry, microbiology, and other such things? Are the elements considered to be fire, earth, wind, and water, or is there a periodic table of sorts among the learned? Are things like cellular structure and the existence of DNA known to scholars?

If not, how do scientific theories vary throughout the Realms, and where are the scientific centers of understanding?

All the best.

Edit: Politeness

Edited by - GoCeraf on 20 Dec 2008 07:11:51
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  15:09:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I know for a fact that the Netherease had their own Genome Project.

As in, "Gee, Gnome.... what do you mean you don't want to work for free anymore?"

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  16:47:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I know for a fact that the Netherease had their own Genome Project.

As in, "Gee, Gnome.... what do you mean you don't want to work for free anymore?"

Oh, that's horrible! I like it!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Dec 2008 16:48:26
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  17:50:28  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message
quote:

Yuletide greetings to both you and Ed, THO.

While this topic is up in the air, I'd like to throw one in there. When Elminster visits earth (either to Yellowstone National Park in 1894 or to meet with Ed in our present), what kind of things does he get involved in or up to? I can't believe he'd come all the way to earth to spill the beans about this or that Realms trivia and not spend some time walking about doing this or that. Does he ever draw attention to himself, get involved in local matters, or otherwise meddle (even in minor ways) on earth? And what's with the portal to Yellowstone 1894? Sure, its a beautiful scenic place to visit... but does he take time out from his responsibilities on Toril to go camping, hiking, and other lengthy pursuits --or does he just pop in from time to time to look at the skyline then pop right back home again?

Also, have a Happy New Year!

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  19:08:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. As I recall, the Yellowstone Park bit was some done-by-staff-designer silliness (probably the work of "slade"), but Ed later said:

I can work with that. Certain geysers and hot springs are perfect for disposals of magically-charging poisons, potions, and lesser magic items . . . as well as for untraced burials of artifacts, relics, and magic items of considerable power. As well, gate-hopping or plane-hopping mages who get REALLY chilled often welcome a hot mud bath.

Ahem. So saith Ed. Who didn't whiff of sulphur the last time I saw him, but ...
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  19:35:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
He's probably been both Merlin and Rasputin... they both fit his personality (Merlin as depicted in Excalibur).

If he got himself some black clothes and a funny hat, he could blend-in in an Amish region, or perhaps even in a Hesitic neighborhood.

Now, before I get in trouble, I had better ask a related question...

If he has a gate into our past, does he also have one into the future?

I know it's possible, but I just don't see why he'd want to go somewhere even further removed from 'Medieval Times'.

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Dec 2008 16:36:58
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2008 :  19:40:14  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
THO, over in another thread you just posted this:

As I understand the in-house designers' explanation, the twin planet of Toril, called Abeir, approached and then "phased through" Toril (the primary cause of the Spellplague/sundering of the Weave) and then kept on going. Rather than the two planetary bodies physically colliding and destroying each other, they shredded each other's magical fields (so Toril lost its Weave, but not its magic, because there was still chaotic, raging magic in the wake of the "pass-through," which gradually subsided into ripples, and then slowly calmed down to a "new norm" ). However, some lands were "swapped" (Abeiran lands like Laerakond and the land of the Dragonborn being gained by Toril, and Maztica and some Faerunian locales shifting over to Abeir).
The two planets then "moved on" (apart) in their endless circling dance around each other, each changed.
So yes, in uncounted millenia to come [*cough* in time for 5th edition *cough* or whenever a DM wants to change major things in their own campaign), this could all happen again.
There.
THE Secret laid bare.
love to all,
THO
Edit: spelling. @#$%$! frozen fingers!
Edited by - The Hooded One on 20 Dec 2008 19:32:32

So, my question is this: can Ed "work with" this with the same ease as he made lemonade with the lemons of the Yellowstone Park thing? I know the "home" campaign hasn't reached the time of the Spellplague yet, and I know you'll all vote on it and may well just vote it down, so it "never happens." My question ISN'T "which choice would Ed prefer?" but instead "What rich design or DM-running-a-campaign opportunities does Ed see in this?"
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000