Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  18:32:35  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
-

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  19:57:13  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ladejarl

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
"aw, crap, I didn't memorize that one today!"

Which is another famous last word.

Which probably explains why Magelords are such dangerous opponents and were able to control Athalantar.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Darkhund
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  20:30:03  Show Profile  Visit Darkhund's Homepage Send Darkhund a Private Message
if solving every problem with a fireball is wrong, I don't want to be right.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  21:09:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Ed's house, being a veritable treasure-trove of literature, is a major nexus point in L-Space (which is why all sorts of 'magical types' are always passing through).

Just ask him about the time Gandalf stepped on Dumbledore's foot on the way to see Belgarath, when they both tried to squeeze through the magical wardrobe at the same time.

Good times... GOOD times...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Nov 2008 21:11:07
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  22:11:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Just ask him about the time Gandalf stepped on Dumbledore's foot on the way to see Belgarath, when they both tried to squeeze through the magical wardrobe at the same time.

"You shall not pass!"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  22:56:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
We're finding our ways off-topic here fellow scribes. Remember, this is Ed's scroll.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  23:00:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:
Originally posted by gomez

I wonder if Ed is familiar with L-space.

-Whats that?

BRIMSTONE

I just looked it up, and I assume that gomez speaks of a Discworld thing: L-space
And just as an addition to that [and because I know Ed's a Pratchett] fan, I'll offer up the L-Space website -- for all things Discworldian.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  23:01:30  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
-I have a question for Mr. Greenwood. What and where would some little known ruins and adventure areas be in Western Cormyr? And any lore if possible. Also any names of little known nobles from Western Cormyr and where they are from. Circa 1357DR. Thanks.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 17 Nov 2008 23:18:03
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  23:03:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Oh and, Ed, quick email question [about something from an old DRAGON article] coming your way.

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Nov 2008 23:03:52
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  04:49:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-I have a question for Mr. Greenwood. What and where would some little known ruins and adventure areas be in Western Cormyr? And any lore if possible. Also any names of little known nobles from Western Cormyr and where they are from. Circa 1357DR. Thanks.

BRIMSTONE

They're called The Stonelands - the whole place is a friggin' ruin.

Edit: Almost forgot - thats more NW. Straight West are the Tunlands, between the two mountain ranges. You have everything from Batrachi ruins to parts of Thaeravel to the lost Dwarven Kingdom of Oghrann.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Nov 2008 04:54:45
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  04:52:10  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
-Thats Northern Cormyr goofy. I mean Western Cormyr.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  04:55:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
You respond too quickly!

I realized that and editted my post, but you had already posted!

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Nov 2008 04:56:09
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  04:58:45  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
-Because I am bored at the Wizards Forums. Dwarven Ruin you say?

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  05:10:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Yup - Miscelleny and I (I think it was him) worked out some lore for that in some thread at WotC awhile back - we found all sorts of cool references we were able to tie together for the region, including a 'hidden city of Monks'.

We shouldn't clog Ed's thread - PM me if you need more.

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Nov 2008 05:10:33
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  08:54:53  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
Speaking about L-space, is there any chance at all that we might see some discworld/realms story? Nothing big of course. Something like the Librarian visiting Candlekeep. I can already picture Ulraunts face at an Orangutan walking through the Library.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  10:31:04  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message
I have a question for Mr. Greenwood about Corymr and halflings.

From the races of the wild description of halflings carvans how does the border guards view such halflings carvans?

If the carvans are permitted in corymr, are the carvans limited, as to how many times they can visite corymr?

Where in the corymr in your view would such carvans be permitted to camp. I would think the carvan master would have to have written permission to stay on some lord or ladys land , or smaller towns. even farmers or city mayor giving written premission to one area.

but in other areas,where no people are settled what views would a purple knight patroll have when encountering a halfling carvan?

Reason why I have some of my group that would like to be part of a halfling carvan in corymr.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  02:43:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Rolindin, your caravan questions have been relayed to Ed, but I can tell you off the top of my head (as a player in Ed's campaign) that caravans ARE allowed into the Realms, there are recognized campgrounds (and paddocks, for beasts) adjacent to all major settlements in the realm (Jester's Green, for instance, serves Suzail in this manner), and that any limitations on entry would be placed on costers, priakos, or individual caravan masters, because the rest of any caravan changes from trip to trip, just as the cars in a modern railroad/railway train go to different destinations and are 'made up' into different train after different train.
I bring some words of Ed to Jakk, in reply to this recently posted set of queries about the Royal Lineage of Cormyr: "Three (well, four) more quick yes-no questions, while I'm thinking of them; if the answers are NDA'd, I understand; Garen was unwilling to answer the first at all, so I didn't even ask the other two.
1) Are any of Gorauna's four named grandnieces and grandnephews siblings?
1a) Are the mother(s) or father(s) of those young monarchs listed in the succession in the GHotR? (yes or no; I know better than to ask who they are)
2) Did Azoun II have any younger brothers? Again, I know better than to ask for names.
3) Did his son Proster have any younger brothers? Ditto on the qualifier."
Ed replies:

Jakk, here's what NDAs and professional courtesy allow me to tell you:
1) Possibly.
1a) Quite possibly.
2) Possibly.
3) Quite possibly.
Sorry, but I would hate to say the wrong thing. Especially concerning Gorauna. For reasons I hope you'll discover in the fullness of time.
(And no, the immediately preceding sentences are NOT a teaser for my next novel.)

So saith Ed. Who can be wonderfully, delightfully annoying when he wants to be. None of which stops me loving him dearly.
love to all of you, too,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  02:48:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
gomez,
Ed is indeed familiar with L-space, and Discworld Monthly, too. He was honoured to be on a panel with Terry Pratchett at the last Worldcon held in Toronto (a few years back), and would LOVE to do a crossover tale, but fears the complications of trying to safeguard both the Realms brand and trademarks and the Discworld ditto would make such a thing impossible, even if Terry weren't so unwell (Ed doesn't want to do ANYTHING that might prevent or delay Terry from finishing THE UNSEEN ACADEMICALS).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  09:19:40  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message
I do apperacite Ed's answers to my entermentament troops carvans from before.

So in Corymr are there settlments set aside by some lord or lady for the halflings, such as the Silinda and the King of Arendal story?
where the carvans might stay at in the campains you've played with ed?
do the halflings have areas set aside for them because of something done by some past halfling?
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  03:39:48  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Brimstone, re. this: "I have a question for Mr. Greenwood. What and where would some little known ruins and adventure areas be in Western Cormyr? And any lore if possible. Also any names of little known nobles from Western Cormyr and where they are from. Circa 1357DR. Thanks"
You have perused Volo's Guide To Cormyr, yes? (The West Reach, and so on.)
BB
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  06:00:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Brimstone, re. this: "I have a question for Mr. Greenwood. What and where would some little known ruins and adventure areas be in Western Cormyr? And any lore if possible. Also any names of little known nobles from Western Cormyr and where they are from. Circa 1357DR. Thanks"
You have perused Volo's Guide To Cormyr, yes? (The West Reach, and so on.)
BB

It's free on the Wizards downloads page!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  23:50:03  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, all.
<chop>
Ed replies:

Jakk, here's what NDAs and professional courtesy allow me to tell you:
1) Possibly.
1a) Quite possibly.
2) Possibly.
3) Quite possibly.
Sorry, but I would hate to say the wrong thing. Especially concerning Gorauna. For reasons I hope you'll discover in the fullness of time.
(And no, the immediately preceding sentences are NOT a teaser for my next novel.)

So saith Ed. Who can be wonderfully, delightfully annoying when he wants to be. None of which stops me loving him dearly.
love to all of you, too,
THO

Sorry to hear that bit about the novel disclaimer (I for one think that the Thronestrife would make a great novel, but if the WotC book department doesn't, then...). Everything else is much better than a simple "NDA". I look forward to learning the full story of the Thronestrife with much anticipation, and I hope I don't need to be quite as patient as Khelben and Laeral had to be before they finally got together...
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Re. the Cormyr lineage: too much work has gone into that document for it to remain secret forever. (And I know at least three anonymous Wizards staffers who agree with me.) So be as patient as some of the Chosen were, and . . .

... so hopefully they aren't the Chosen you were referring to with that comment.

Thanks again! No more questions from me until you've had time to find a few more answers, I promise.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  00:19:47  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
-Blue and Wooly thanks. Yes I have looked at those sources. I just was wondering if their was some more.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  01:08:13  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
Hi everyone,

I've been a longtime lurker of these boards and have spent many hours following this thread down the years to constant enjoyment and entertainment. So, to Mr. Greenwood, Lady Hooded One and all the scribes and querents here, THANK YOU!

My questions stem from re-reading "The Temptation of Elminster" :

1.) Can you tell us more about the amazing spell-tree Klargathan Srior summoned to buy himself and the priest of Tempus a bit more time at the beginning of the book? Is it a variant of Evard's Black tentacles with some life-draining thrown in?

2.) Was that stag-headed sorceror some type of demon or an accursed humanoid? Its cry of pain sounded human, and feminine if I remember.

3.) Where was Moonshorn Tower located in relation to the current 3rd Edition landscape? Does it still endure? I'd love to know more about the Tower's lore and history, including the duties and regalia of its Guardian. Does one always come into that post as a punishment or atonement?

(crosses fingers)
Big Lore..Big Lore...No NDAs...STOP!
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  11:17:16  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message
I have an easy enough question for Ed...what book should I read next?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  19:20:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
As in: Realms novel? Other fantasy fiction book? Fiction at all? Non-fiction?
Or to ask the librarian's counter-question: What do you like reading, and what have you just finished reading?
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  21:42:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I had some geographic questions pertaining to that novel as well (along with the rest of the 'Annotated' books) a few pages back, and would love to hear Ed's answers on Aysen's questions myself.

Now for one of my own -

Ed, Gimme' a Drow word for psionics.

Both the Drow version, and the English (common?) translation. I was thinking this question might have been better suited to RAS or Elaine, but then I remembered you wrote the original Drow Vocabulary in 2e's DotU. I was writing up a few groups for the Elven Netbook, when I realized we don't even have words for 'mind' or 'thoughts' or even 'brain'.

Thanks --- Mark

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Nov 2008 21:45:15
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2008 :  23:01:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oooh! I can START to answer this, while we're waiting for Ed:

"irrel" is an idea in the elven tongue
"irreth" is a mind,
and "irrend" is a memory (single remembered thing)

These from some old notes I made during an Ed-as-DM Realms play session, when we were talking with some of the elves who lived wild in the forest east of Shadowdale, when we Knights had but newly arrived there.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  00:26:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Problem is, I'm talking pre-3e (when Ed wrote DotU). As of 3e Drow speak Elvish and do not have their own language (a bit of core that wormed it's way into FR), so you would be corrct in a 3e FR game.

I'm looking for some pure 'old-school' Drow.

Usually I just fudge this stuff working with the Online Drow dictionary (based on Ed's original), but I can't even find anything approximating psionics - the closest thing I can find is the word for memory (the 'zha' prefix seems to have something to do with thinking based on aquired memories, or "past experience", going by what words begin with it).

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Nov 2008 16:22:57
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  16:28:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Back on page 66 of this thread, scribe Blueblade asked: "Dear Ed and Lovely Lady Hooded,
I have always run the Dalelands, the more southerly Savage Coast North, and the lands in between (Iriaebor vicinity, Tunland, etc.) Realms as a place plentiful in game and free-for-forage edible plants, that travellers and homesteaders can readily live on. Is this still true in the 4e version of the Realms? Thanks, BB"
Ed replies:

It is even MORE true after the century jump. After all, all of those far more numerous marauding monsters have to eat SOMEthing (besides passing adventurers, that is). Seriously, the turmoil of the Spellplague, localized collapses of magic or spawning of wild magics and the death of many mages, resulted in localized population collapses, as people perished or fled to the "safety" of elsewhere (e.g. towns and cities, once hungry monsters started prowling). This meant less hunting for food-pots, and less farmers killing vermin, and so small animal populations exploded, crashed again, rose again, and stabilized at a higher level than previously (when things were more "settled"). Tunland has marshes and plains, so wild fowl are plentiful . . . and so is everything else. Even with predators increasing, fauna is more plentiful than before.

So saith Ed, biologist and botanist of the Realms.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000