Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  08:11:14  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message
Thank you both, Ed and THO.

And thank goodness for the Keep, for giving us all this opportunity and access.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  16:41:01  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
If no-one mind I'd like to go back to a topic from one or two pages ago, here's what I'd want to see more of:
1 - Characters: Alustriel, Laeral, Sharantyr, and that dear old turret-top salesman (and the Simbul [if Ed hasn't got the time, I'd be happy to see Lynn Abbey return to the Realms for that)
2 - Stories: Small, self-contained ones of the type we've seen Elaine, the Novak-Grubbs, and Ed himself does so well in Starlight & Shadows and the Finder Stone trilogy, and Stormlight (pardon me if I got that last title wrong, I'm terrible with names).
3 - Sexual content: Having just watched the BBC-production of Smiley's People which on the DVD-case is said to have "Explicit Sexual Content" - for about one minute we're in a Reeperbahn bordello/strip club while old Obi-Wan Kenobi waits for its owner who's a contact of his to show up, all the while looking very disapproving at the naked women (and the leather-pouch-and-some-chains-wearing man) in the premises - I'd say Ed should go for that.
*sotto voce* Anglo-Saxons
4 - In terms of Ed's personal prose - perhaps it would benefit from not trying to squeeze in quite so much realmslore in it? I love some of the novels to bits (literally in the case of my first copy of Spellfire), but sometimes they feel a little ...crowded.

As for what I might actually think I could get post-spellplague (and even this is a looooong shot: The sudden and mysterious disappearance of those fandangled *fights urge to develop Jammalo Kreen-like bellicosity* motes would be greeted by me with a loud and cheerful whoopee.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 15 Nov 2008 18:00:24
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  16:54:48  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
And while my connection is working, I also have a few questions for Ed (and in case no-one's said it for a few hours, thanks a million times for responding to our questions here, Ed).

I'll preface this by saying that I'm asking about the pre-spellplague Realms, but I'm sure no-one would mind an answer for the new spellplagued ones too.

Ed says that there are a few democracies in the Realms, how about city-states or countries that are run in a parliamentary style of the fashion that developed in England and Sweden during the 18th century? (In my Realms, I'm uniting the Vast into a kingdom which is run according to the Swedish constitution of 1719 - very messily, with lots of outside influence, that is)

I've been asking Ed for Chondathan terms for various things, and I've come up with some more, but the list grew a bit longer than I feel comfortable posting all at once (if push comes to shove I can always come up with my own ones), so I was wondering if: (a) Ed feel like inventing or looking up some new ones, and if so (b) how many at a time would be okay with him?

And finally, about a month ago I was visiting the closest shop that actually carries Realms-novels and met a poor bewildered man who was unable to find Streams of Silver (because the shop didn't have it in stock at the time), so I convinced him to buy Cormyr: A Novel instead - who should I contact for my part of the royalties?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  18:11:54  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Oh, a few questions I forgot regarding spellfire:
How rare is spellfire? From the way everybody was chasing after Shandril, you'd think it's rare, but is that just because she was unprotected? In a short tory of Ed's, all the Seven have 'Spellfire'. But are they talking of Silver Fire, or Spellfire? Is it one and the same? And if not, who else wields it, and how do you get it?
What was Elminster doing before 4e? It is said that in 1473 DR, he was investigating Manshoon's Clones and their destiny, and that in 1474 DR, the whole 'Scouring of Shadowdale' happened. What then? Did he return, if so when? After all, there are almost 10 years from then until Mystra's death and his disappearence.
Shandril's Saga SPOILER:

And what was the point of writing a whole trilogy about Shandril when she commits suicide at the end?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Edited by - Menelvagor on 15 Nov 2008 21:33:14
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  20:59:54  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
In 4the edition, two different paragon paths give access to silverfire (symbarch of Aglarond) or spellfire (Spellscarred), but not both.
So in that edition they seem to be mutually exclusive.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  23:15:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Menelvagor,
Ed is busy shifting the collection of one tiny library to another one right now, so I’ll tackle your questions.
Despite the “you can get spellfire for your character in this way” rules put into the game, the history of the Realms tells us that spellfire was VERY rare, perhaps no more than one being having the ability to wield it per generation. Yes, that was why everyone was chasing Shandril; she was indeed a priceless “pawn” to control (ahem, IF you could capture and control her) for that very reason: you’d have a weapon few mortals could counter or stop. (Perhaps the Realmsian equivalent to a tactical nuke, versus an opponent with no nukes.)
No one knew how it manifests, if it was purely hereditary or could be gained by performing some task or other, and so on. So the “how do you get it?” is up to your DM; in a particular campaign, no one may be able to get spellfire.
All of the Seven Sisters, like all Chosen of Mystra, have the Silver Fire, which has end result effects very similar to spellfire, but comes from their access to the Weave as Chosen. In other words, if your neighbour has a military-issue flamethrower but you have a hand gasoline pump whose jets of fuel can be made to pass through a ring of flames, you can both do the same damage to nearby trees, but cause it in slightly different ways. The Chosen often refer to their silver fire as “spellfire” for this reason (and to encourage confusion about what their true personal powers are).
Elminster’s activities are generally NDA, unless Ed reveals them. The reason for that is twofold: so DMs have maximum ‘wiggle room’ to tell their players reasons for Elminster being unavailable or busy or unable to help them, and (something you’ll see in most of Ed’s fiction and a lot of Realms game products and fiction by others, too), Elminster is constantly busy with literally scores of matters at once. Most of which should remain mysterious to PCs, unless or until they get in his way.
If Ed did sit down to answer your question about what Elminster did in any given ten year period, he’d ruin a lot of Realms secrets and get literally nothing else done for about a year. Which I’m afraid isn’t going to happen.
And as for your question about Shandril’s Saga: Ed did not set out to write a trilogy. He wrote a single book, SPELLFIRE, to “introduce the Realms to us all.” It got drastically shortened in editing, but eight years later he was asked to write two more Shandril books - - and told by the head of the Books Department what Shandril’s fate should be, at the end of them. Ed’s choice was dealing with shandril himself, or having another author do it, and he chose to do it himself. Ed never set out to write a trilogy about Shandril.
And there you have it.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  23:23:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hmm, on second thoughts, I should probably amend my reply, above, to read: spellfire has always SEEMED very rare. There might be any number of spellfire-wielding individuals who were able to keep their power secret, so as not to end up killed, hunted, or captured (Ed has given us hints of the many legends of earlier-than-Shandril spellfire wielders who were hounded).
And Kajehase, I just called Ed (he was just returning home from having carried a second van-load of boxed books in the pouring rain, into storage, with the local mayor), and he said: fine, bring 'em on. Any number of Chondathan word requests are fine with him. post him in this thread so I'll see them to fling them his way, okay?
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  23:46:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Interesting... Did Ed know, the whole time he was writing books 2 and 3, what Shandril's fate was going to be (as in, the one imposed on her by the Books Department)? Because as I recall, it seemed like her fate was intended to be something different than what happened.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  23:48:35  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
All of the Seven Sisters, like all Chosen of Mystra, have the Silver Fire, which has end result effects very similar to spellfire, but comes from their access to the Weave as Chosen.

That's interesting. I always thought the Silver Fire was contained within the Chosen of Mystra, and not something external to them. If I read that correctly, it would see I was wrong.

quote:
And as for your question about Shandril’s Saga: Ed did not set out to write a trilogy. He wrote a single book, SPELLFIRE, to “introduce the Realms to us all.” It got drastically shortened in editing, but eight years later he was asked to write two more Shandril books - - and told by the head of the Books Department what Shandril’s fate should be, at the end of them. Ed’s choice was dealing with shandril himself, or having another author do it, and he chose to do it himself. Ed never set out to write a trilogy about Shandril.

If it had been left up to Ed how the saga concluded, what might have been Shandril's fate? Would she still have killed herself? (I was most disappointed and more than a little upset about it* - I have this habit of sometimes flipping through a book or series of books reading little bits and pieces of the story** before I decide if I want to read the whole thing, reading of Shandril's solution to her problems made me not want to read the series all the way through.)

*I did understand why she did it, and it did make logical sense given everything else that was going on - but I don't particularly like unhappy endings, and I am sure there ways the situation could have been avoided.

**Don't judge me too harshly, I just have a different way of reading and comprehending books. In some cases I read the entire book that way but completely out of sequence, and still manage to come away understanding the book and being able to recite a summary in the chronological order it occurred in the book. Thus far in my life, I think I'm about the only person I know who does this. I have copped a lot of flack in my time for "reading the back of the book first".

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  02:04:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ackkh, my wording is turning clumsy.
Wooly, Ed was asked to write the second Shandril book as a one-shot, but with the understanding that "Shandril's story would be completed, somewhere and somehow." A little later, a "third book, to make it a trilogy" was agreed upon, and after that but before Ed started writing the third book, Shandril's fate was laid down as an editorial requirement. It was Ed who decided exactly how that demise would happen, in consultation with the head of Books.
And Zandilar, my wording to you was just as clumsy. Yes, the silver fire comes from within the bodies of the Chosen, something they can unleash by will (so you can't cut off the hand of a Chosen, carry it away, and somehow get it to emit silver fire), but they can generate silver fire because of how they access the Weave; silver fire and spellfire both call on the raw power of the Weave (the raw energies of the world), and in both cases the body of the wielder is the conduit, but the ways in which silver fire and spellfire wielders access and generate their very similar devouring, destroying fires is different. Both spellfire and silver fire users call on the Weave as a power source, but subliminate those energies within their own bodies, so that either a silver fire user or a spellfire wielder can be taken (or willingly travel) out of contact from the Weave and still "hurl their flames" (for a limited time, until the power within them is gone, unless they can drain magic items or other magical energies to "recharge" their internal power, or get back into contact with the Weave (to ditto).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Darkhund
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  02:06:58  Show Profile  Visit Darkhund's Homepage Send Darkhund a Private Message
Dear Ed, Lord of Many Tales (Flattery gives a +2 Circumstance bonus, right?)

Two questions.

First; I imagine there are many tales of some good person, paladin, or just holy cleric, good wizard, ect, falling to evil. But are there common tales of the opposite, of some blackguard 'falling', and becoming a paladin, or some evil king, seeing what he's done, and becoming a crusader of the just.

Second: Who was the first Queen to rule a realm in the Realms? (by birthright (or force), not by marriage, or as a regent for children, ect.)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  02:16:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Zandilar, I won't judge you, harshly or otherwise. No good can come of such judgements.
Ed and I have discussed HAND OF FIRE several times, and it comes down to this:

Books, Games, and Ed all agreed that spellfire was a great plot device for keeping a naive young lass alive and vitally important throughout SPELLFIRE (as all sorts of powerful Realms folk converged on her, making her a useful "guide to introduce the Realms to us all" [because that's what SPELLFIRE was intended to be: the 'base' Realms novel, that unrolled the Realms before us all]), but a terrible thing for game balance.
So it was decided that Shandril, whether she reached silverymoon or not, had to be removed from the everyday Realms. Spellfire should go. (It was later philosophical shifts for later editions of the game that insisted "The player characters must be able to do everything every NPC, monster, and god can do, if they grow powerful enough" that gave us rules for your character using spellfire.)
Ed wanted Shandril to leave mortal life behind and ascend to become one of Mystra's many servants (see the SECRETS OF THE MAGISTER sourcebook). She could do so willingly (suicide not under duress), she could be slaughtered by a foe, or she could do it as a way out when death became unavoidable. Ed chose that third way; left to himself, he would have chosen the first way. either way, it's hard on Narm, whom Ed deliberately wanted to show as a weak, ordinary male "second fiddle" to the female he loved and was bound to - - but whom many readers hated for just that reason ("He's a wimp! A loser! Not the hero we were expecting!" [To which Ed has always replied: Yup, yup, and yup. Deal with it; I'm happily shooting down stereotypes here.)
Now, I'm not saying this was one of Ed's more successful experiments (the weak Narm/strong Shandril thing; the spellfire trilogy ending wasn't his choice at all). I do think it was an interesting read, and that a DM can learn far more about the "feel" of running caravans in the North from HAND OF FIRE than from any other source. Just because I, too, don't like the ending doesn't mean the book isn't a good fun read, even the fifth time through.
However, different strokes for different folks, as the saying goes . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  02:44:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
So same-sex partners are against Hasbro's 'morality rules', but TSR had no problem with a young person using suicide as a solution to all their problems?

In fact, that was the ending insisted upon?

And people say D&D players are screwed up.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  02:53:45  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So same-sex partners are against Hasbro's 'morality rules', but TSR had no problem with a young person using suicide as a solution to all their problems?

In fact, that was the ending insisted upon?

And people say D&D players are screwed up.

Err as I read it it was the third way, "she could do it as a way out when death became unavoidable" when one is going to die it only matters how they die. The shootist movie is one example of choosing how to die when one knows they will die.

Other then that comment, I depart from the topic as it is not mich of an ask Ed and TSR no longer is controling company. I advise a new scroll if you wish to even consider discussing this topic more.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  03:54:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Don't forget that turning into an undead creature was preferable to cloning yourself or putting your sentience into some immortal vessel. This was another TSR decision that was discussed in this thread.

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  06:40:00  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Thank you very much for the information! It will help me greatly.
Now, for a last piece of information I need (at least for now):
How did the retaking of Myth Drannor affect the surrounding areas? Are there hostilities between Myth Drannor and other places? Are there powerful organizations in Myth Drannor? If so, what are they? How much of it has been restored? How much power does the Coronal really have?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  13:23:12  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:

And Zandilar, my wording to you was just as clumsy. Yes, the silver fire comes from within the bodies of the Chosen, something they can unleash by will (so you can't cut off the hand of a Chosen, carry it away, and somehow get it to emit silver fire), but they can generate silver fire because of how they access the Weave; silver fire and spellfire both call on the raw power of the Weave (the raw energies of the world), and in both cases the body of the wielder is the conduit, but the ways in which silver fire and spellfire wielders access and generate their very similar devouring, destroying fires is different. Both spellfire and silver fire users call on the Weave as a power source, but subliminate those energies within their own bodies, so that either a silver fire user or a spellfire wielder can be taken (or willingly travel) out of contact from the Weave and still "hurl their flames" (for a limited time, until the power within them is gone, unless they can drain magic items or other magical energies to "recharge" their internal power, or get back into contact with the Weave (to ditto).

I think I understand now. But it raises a question...

How similar is this to how a Sorcerer access magic?

Sorcerers have always felt like a bit of a kludge to me - they instinctively access the Weave, and yet they aren't all that flexible in what they can do with it (they have a limited number of spells, identical to the spells of a wizard, that they can use more often than a wizard can use theirs)... I'd imagine a magic wielder who could access the weave on an instinctive basis would only be limited in what their imagination could encompass, while wizards would be less flexible because they're limited to what is written down and passed along to them - they learn by rote, while sorcerers learn by doing.

Hmm... just musing here.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  15:32:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Sorcerers have always felt like a bit of a kludge to me - they instinctively access the Weave, and yet they aren't all that flexible in what they can do with it (they have a limited number of spells, identical to the spells of a wizard, that they can use more often than a wizard can use theirs)...

I've always considered sorcerers highly flexible, simply because -- unlike wizards -- they don't need to select their spells beforehand. If they know it, and need it, and have the appropriate slot open, it's available. Wizzies, on the other hand, always run the risk of the "aw, crap, I didn't memorize that one today!" moment.

Go to Top of Page

Ladejarl
Seeker

Norway
55 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  15:49:29  Show Profile  Visit Ladejarl's Homepage Send Ladejarl a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
"aw, crap, I didn't memorize that one today!"

Which is another famous last word.

"There should be much less violence, and more nudity and kinkiness in the world."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  17:03:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Wizards are technically more powerful, while the Soreceror's 'power' lies in his 'on-the-spot' versatility (as Wooly has mentioned). Anyone who thinks the two need a little more seperation then that (like myself) can use Pathfinder's version of Sorcerors - the 'Bloodlines' thing is off the sheazy, and exactly what WotC had suggested for them but never bothered to develop.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  17:39:08  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message
quote:

Which is another famous last word.

Hehehe!
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2008 :  23:14:32  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
Greetings.

Though I know much of Baldur's Gate is cloaked in NDAs I dare venture some inquires on material that has seen at least some publication.

Dear Hooded One would you be so kind as to ask Ed if he can elaborate on two buildings that appear in the Interactive Atlas. Both are located in the southern portion of the Gate one is labeled #20 and is called Moneycoins House. It seems like a large building some 125 x 150 feet, large by the Gate's standards. Since there is already The Counting House for money exchange my guesses are either its an estate, though I imagine most estates are in the older part of the city OR maybe a mint for producing trade bars.

The other building in question is also in the southern part of the city by the southern most gate. Not the rectangular building on the right side of the road but the "C" shaped one behind it. It is marked in red on the map but there is no number that goes to it

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  02:53:07  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

<chop>Elminster is constantly busy with literally scores of matters at once. Most of which should remain mysterious to PCs, unless or until they get in his way.
If Ed did sit down to answer your question about what Elminster did in any given ten year period, he’d ruin a lot of Realms secrets and get literally nothing else done for about a year. Which I’m afraid isn’t going to happen.</chop>
love,
THO

So it's true, then... Ed is Elminster! Er... in a way... a manner of speaking... which is to say, every time you don't see Elminster because he's busy, you're very likely also not to hear from Ed because he's busy too. That does not in any way imply that it should be inferred that the Father of the Realms and the Old Sage are one and the same, just because both of their domiciles are packed with more books and stacks of pages than some libraries.

I'll shut up now, since Ed's already working hard on locating about a dozen other answers for me, among the hundreds for others, and I don't really have another question yet... I'm trying very hard to be patient on a particular matter with which Ed and Brian Cortijo are well acquainted, and patience is not something I'm good at; I'm not a doctor, after all.

Edit: I decided to change some of my smilies, after realizing that they were all the same.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 17 Nov 2008 02:55:58
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  07:04:28  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
I wonder if Ed is familiar with L-space.
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  10:42:39  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message
A though crossed my mind about the node magic and such.
If Mr greenwood dosen't mind, or someone else who can get an answer from him.

about Cormyr area; if by the new 4 system how does the spell plague effect the nodes in Cormyr area?

before the spell plauge: did the war wizards have war wizards that knew of all the nodes in Cormyer, and did the war wizards have wizards with the node feats and spell knowledge?

If Cormyer has nodes about how many and where would the nodes be at?

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  11:02:54  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

-Whats that?

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  15:27:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:

-Whats that?

BRIMSTONE

I just looked it up, and I assume that gomez speaks of a Discworld thing: L-space

It's a bit more complex than hammerspace, which is what I first assumed it was a variation on.

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  16:20:40  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Well, Ed, being a Librarian, should be in the know... Like Elminster, and Dalamar and Mordenkainen. I mean, how else did those three mages get together?
But I have to remember hammerspace for my next female barbarian character concept. :D
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  16:30:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I'm a huge fan of Backspace myself.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  17:06:38  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:

Well, Ed, being a Librarian, should be in the know... Like Elminster, and Dalamar and Mordenkainen. I mean, how else did those three mages get together?

They met at Ed's house for tea and cookies, of course!

Didn't you read ANY of the dragon articles?!?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 17 Nov 2008 17:07:09
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000