Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  23:09:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
While you're waiting for Ed's reply Na-Gang, I'd suggest you read his "Shadow of the Avatar" trilogy for more on the malaugrym, as well as some of his past replies here at Candlekeep as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2008 :  00:20:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ashe, my "Deep Source" says: not yet.
Reason for the delay: unknown.
I'm watching eagerly, too . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2008 :  00:49:23  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Ed how did you play teleportations gone bad, did you actually have teleporters arrive within objects,

Well we know that the Company of Crazed Venturers teleported into the bar in the Inn of the Dripping Dagger closely followed by some explosive critters whilst fleeing the Dungeon of the Crypt and that was from a wish , so Beshaba only knows how devious Ed was when it was a normal teleport gone wrong

Cheers

Damian
who has a feeling that fires and frying pans might get mentioned.......

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 30 Oct 2008 00:50:13
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2008 :  15:34:00  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message
Well met, Ed (and THO)

I would like some advice on handling an encounter with a Dark Tentacles in my 2E campaign.

I have asked for help on this question in the Running the Realms scroll but to no avail. It was suggested to me that since you created--and no doubt DMed--this creature, you would be able to help.

I'm scaling up the tunnels under the Twisted Tower in Shadowdale (FRCS 2E) for a group of 6 level 4-5 PCs and I'm thinking of replacing the Aballin in room 4D with a Dark Tentacles.

As you know, this creature has a potential 36 attacks per round. Obviously, making 36 attack rolls would be very time consuming and make for difficult accounting. How, in terms of die roll mechanics, have you handled encounters with this creature?

Finally, has this creature appeared in any of your FR fiction?

Afet bint Tuzanķ

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2008 :  21:07:43  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, all. This latest, from the e-pen of Ed:

Which means to a human of "now" [either 1300s or 1400s DR] in the Realms, the Scrolls will SEEM like gibberish, but be perfectly readable (e.g. if English is your mother tongue, the following string of words will be meaningless to you, but you'll be able to read them aloud with no problems: "lat maraga torl looba doo").

So saith Ed, creator of the Realms and Master of its Linguistics.
love to all,
THO

Is that the Torilian equivalent of GORT KLAATU BARADA NIKTO?

Ahem. Many thanks, my Lady, to you and the Master for the window lore. I hope that it will delight my players.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  23:40:44  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed do you see Sayra Dlargareth being elevated as a major demon now that she is dead, I assume her soul went to the Abyss, possibly in possesion of demon parent. Also I assume she has a true name, does this true name change once she dies and is reborn as something else altogether, as in the example above?

I would think that whatever demonic powers she served would see the advantage in promoting her as a demon and allowing her to continue her crusade under a new guise and with legions at her disposal, well at least in my campaign thats the direction I'm going in.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2008 :  15:29:24  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I was talking on the phone yesterday to a friend of mine who works in publishing, and he said he'd seen copies of Ed's third Knights book, THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS, in a warehouse he'd visited that morning.
So . . . have you seen it yet? Has Ed seen it yet?
Dare we hope for a review from you, or any "insider" anecdotes?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2008 :  20:38:50  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Spells stilled, Scribes:

Ed, I have written up what I think is a logical 3.x feat for the creation of belluths.
But I cannot get my head around their appearence. My first thought was two rings set above and below the middle knuckle connected by a chain, then a one piece finger covering with a
hinge over the middle knuckle. Can you give us a physical description of what a typical market
belluth would look like?

I have come up with a history for the Nomad of Scars that was included that I like a lot, but can you talk about this character (only mentioned once in Forgotten Realms Lore)?

The Srinshee in Tears So White talked about the arrogance or pride of the elves in their magic being one of the reasons she and others (high magic practictioners I assume) left Myth Drannor. My questions is: You have talked about in the past forums that there are still several High Magic practicioners on the mainland, but were prevented from giving numbers (number=x) or locations. Could you give a rough percentage of that variable (X) that might be survivors from Myth Drannor. I want to construct the government of Myth Drannor as of 1378 DR, and I would like to give myself an idea a logical number of High Mages that would return to Myth Drannor.

Besides here at the Keep, are there any other websites or archives that you have done question and answer sessions or given otherwise unpublished information that I could investigate? I am starting to run out of places to look for info at.

Madam Hooded, are there any stories about Myth Drannor other that the assult on the Warrior's Gate that you may share with us? (I would even be willing to beg on my knees if necessary.)

Edited by - althen artren on 03 Nov 2008 01:46:45
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2008 :  23:23:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Just some quick replies this time; Ed is very busy today with some Realms writing I'm not allowed to say anything about, and will be very busy tomorrow with a family reunion and a memorial concert for his Dad (that Ed's mother and one of his sisters will be singing in). He promises a return to the Keep right after that.
I can confirm that Ed received his author's copies of THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS yesterday, but he has told me nothing more than "it looks good." I'll find a way to get a look at a copy, never fear . . .
arry, Ed is currently negotiating with some WotC staff re. what he'll be writing about the new continent for the website (DRAGON, I'm thinking), and what will appear here, so for now, he can't give you any definite answer.
Ashe, still no announcement. I suspect some legal hitch or other has popped up to delay things (whatever those "things" are).
Oh, and a tidbit of Realmslore from my notes (from Ed, of course) for you all. The impolite Realms term for breaking wind is the f-word all English speakers are familiar with, and the polite TERM for breaking wind is . . . "breaking wind." However, the polite Realms WORD for such an, er, bodily event is "shudderlar."
As in: "Quite a shudderlar" or "I do believe the lady shudderlarred."
Ahem.
That's all for now, folks!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2008 :  23:37:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Oh, and a tidbit of Realmslore from my notes (from Ed, of course) for you all. The impolite Realms term for breaking wind is the f-word all English speakers are familiar with, and the polite TERM for breaking wind is . . . "breaking wind." However, the polite Realms WORD for such an, er, bodily event is "shudderlar."
As in: "Quite a shudderlar" or "I do believe the lady shudderlarred."
Ahem.
That's all for now, folks!
love to all,
THO
Interesting.

My Lady, was there any particular reason why Ed didn't use "shudderlar" for the two existing "breaking wind" references that have popped up in previous Ed-crafted Realmslore -- such as pg. 21 in FR13 Anauroch, and Ed's "Daily Dwarf Common" article for the Realmslore series at WotC? Was it a "Ethics Code" concern, or something else entirely? Maybe the Realms term simply wasn't appropriate for the content of the book/article?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2008 :  03:17:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Presumably Ethics Code concerns on the part of the editors, Sage, because Ed put the references in . . . and someone took them out.
Both of the sources you cite were instances where Ed never saw galleys/Van Dykes/bluelines/mockups/ARCs between his raw turnover and the published end result. Quite often he sees what editors have done when you do: when the published works are released. It's a good way to keep him from "correcting" the corrections.
Thankfully, this is NOT the habitual way it's done with Realms fiction.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2008 :  15:07:12  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Another of my endless Realms questions: dead pets. Buried? Burned to bones on a small pyre? Left out in the wilds to be fed on by scavengers? Tossed into water?
Or all of the above - - or none of the above?
I'm assuming here that the pet is loved, not detested.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2008 :  15:11:25  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Ed and Lady THO,
Listening to speculative punditry about a certain real-world election (about which I'll say no more, I promise), I am struck by how much stock pundits put in how much of a state's or city's population came from "somewhere else."
My question is this: in the Realms, what percentage of the permanent, year-round population of Suzail came from somewhere else in Cormyr? What percentage came from outside Cormyr?
Likewise for Selgaunt? Westgate? Hillsfar?
Thanks in advance. I realize I'm asking for a lot. Oh, time period: just before the blue fire first comes.
Thank you again.
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2008 :  15:16:24  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Hmm, that question evokes a thought in my mind: in Cormyr, courtiers (from War Wizards to scribes for local lords) and power elites such as wealthy merchants and nobles have some influence on Crown decisions and policies by the information they pass on to the rulers, and presumably by expressing their wants to the Obarskyrs.
My question is: are there any situations in Cormyrean politics where citizens who aren't royalty get a vote? That the rulers respect/are bound by the results of?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2008 :  15:20:47  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
Lady THO and Ed,
My latest question is this: does the Realms have anything like "resorts"? By which I mean: expensive destinations where one can stay, and enjoy entertainments, that are open to anyone who pays sufficiently, NOT just to nobility or members of a particular society, business firm, or faith.
If so, where are these resorts, what are their attractions, and what surveillance (and by whom) will adventurers be under, if they go to stay at a resort?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  07:48:06  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met!

I hope this will be an easy question for Ed to answer (if no one else knows): is the pyramid on Sorcerer's Island in the Moonsea a ziggurat or a pentahedron?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  18:23:12  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Ed, could you please give us more details of "good" meals (impress a business partner meals, impress a social superior, not snacks or simple "stave off the pangs" fare or big sit-down feasts, either) in the Realms. I don't need detailed recipes (though I'd LOVE them, if you in some moment of weakness included them), but just what dishes are served, how, in what order, and with what drinkables. Enough info that a character knowing it can tell, without being told, when a meal is over. For instance: dessert at end, or desserts between main courses, as in medieval banquets. That sort of thing.
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  18:51:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I know this thread isn't really for commentary, so let me start-off with a question (that has probably already been answered at some point in the past by Ed) - Traveling Shows?

I was thinking in terms of a troupe of performers, sort of like a Broadway-production company that goes on the road and performs its 'great play' for audiences around Faerūn, but also anything about other entertainments that could be lumped into this heading, like Circuses, traveling Bestiary's, and even carnivals (are there 'rides' in the Realms?) Also, how about smaller groups, like charlatans who trick people with fake magic and potions, or gypsy-like musical performers?

quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

I'm assuming here that the pet is loved, not detested.

Okay... that just made me LOL.

Why would anyone HAVE a pet they HATE?

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I hope this will be an easy question for Ed to answer (if no one else knows): is the pyramid on Sorcerer's Island in the Moonsea a ziggurat or a pentahedron?
Are those pesky Imaskari leaving their Stargates around again?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Nov 2008 04:21:57
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  19:06:55  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Heh, yeah, I could have worded that better.
What I meant was: pet dies in the keeping of a person(s) who love it, as opposed to someone who inherited a family pet whom they regard as a burden (they can't bring themselves to abandon it or harm it, but they don't LOVE it).
I was driving at: how is a dead pet disposed of by someone who is very fond of it?
Thanks.
BB
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  20:01:09  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:

What I meant was: pet dies in the keeping of a person(s) who love it, as opposed to someone who inherited a family pet whom they regard as a burden (they can't bring themselves to abandon it or harm it, but they don't LOVE it).
I was driving at: how is a dead pet disposed of by someone who is very fond of it?
Thanks.
BB

With a hot fire and some spices?
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  20:30:12  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
quote:

Thanks.
BB

I'd wager "tossed into water" is not among the common practices.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  01:10:07  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Ooof! And I could have wedded THAT better, too!
I meant to echo the faith belief about returning the dead to water, to continue the cycle of life and death. (In our real world: the sacred Ganges, in India.)
I didn't mean throw poor dead Muffy the cat into the nearest puddle.
Must think harder before typing . . .
Sorry.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  04:24:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
And now this brings to mind what happens when little Timmy gets tired of his baby Beholder and flushes it into Waterdeep's sewers.

Also, this question is just begging for a Pet Cemetary answer (as in Steven King) -

"Look Mommy! Fluffy's come back to us! But whats that icky smell?"

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Nov 2008 04:26:08
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  04:30:57  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
I have a question stemming from a project I'm working on right now.

If the people of Mulhorand are essentially "Egyptian" and the people of Unther similar to the lands of ancient Sumeria...

Are there any cultures that resemble closely the Greeks; or more specifically the Spartans? If not so close to the Spartans, are there at least Hoplite-like soldiers in Faerun?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  09:44:15  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden
Are there any cultures that resemble closely the Greeks; or more specifically the Spartans? If not so close to the Spartans, are there at least Hoplite-like soldiers in Faerun?

I've always had the impression that the Chessentans were culturally somewhat close to the ancient Greeks.
Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  15:11:26  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message
Hey Ed, it being election day here in the US, I have to ask. Are there any democracies in FR? Also, in one of your recent novels, you hinted that Storm has... erm... dabbled in dalliances with the fairer sex. Anything more to that, or was she just toying with the dear queen of Cormyr?

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- Douglas Adams

Edited by - Kamuraki on 05 Nov 2008 02:01:13
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  02:42:31  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

quote:

I've always had the impression that the Chessentans were culturally somewhat close to the ancient Greeks.

I thought so too...but then I couldn't make sure from what I've read in the sources I have.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  03:12:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

quote:

I thought so too...but then I couldn't make sure from what I've read in the sources I have.

Most of the novels set in the area have pushed back a little on the obvious Greek influence, which is probably for the best... See Maiden of Pain, most recently, but also Rich Baker's Shadow Stone novel where the Shadow Weave was introduced and the comic novel set in the Blade Kingdoms wedged between Chessenta and Chondath.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  03:13:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Things that make Chessenta clearly Greek inspired, aside from Scott Bennie, the author of FR10 that introduced Chessenta having said that's what he was hired to do [though I will say I think Scott did a great job and I still quite like FR10]... Cimbar is a clearly modeled on Athens, Akanax on Sparta, and some of the Chessentan cities also appear based on other real-life Greek city-states; the prominence of art and philosophy; the mobs in Cimbar/Athens; the wearing of togas; the political structure of nominally independent city-states that unite against common foes; the Olympic-like Thulbian Games that take place; the prominence of Greco-style wrestling; the popularity of comedic and tragic plays; the pictures in FR10, one of which depicts warriors in Hoplites battling; and the list goes on.

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Nov 2008 03:15:49
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  03:22:52  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Things that make Chessenta clearly Greek inspired, aside from Scott Bennie, the author of FR10 that introduced Chessenta having said that's what he was hired to do [though I will say I think Scott did a great job and I still quite like FR10]... Cimbar is a clearly modeled on Athens, Akanax on Sparta, and some of the Chessentan cities also appear based on other real-life Greek city-states; the prominence of art and philosophy; the mobs in Cimbar/Athens; the wearing of togas; the political structure of nominally independent city-states that unite against common foes; the Olympic-like Thulbian Games that take place; the prominence of Greco-style wrestling; the popularity of comedic and tragic plays; the pictures in FR10, one of which depicts warriors in Hoplites battling; and the list goes on.

Unfortunately I'm not a big novel reader most often...so thanks for the input all...

It just makes what I've done with Ixinos feel better!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000