Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  15:40:37  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Hmmm. I like BA's question, but I'd like to apply it to Sembia. Specifically this: as the influence of Shade grows in Sembia, do the hot-headed young folks defy it? Embrace it? Think it's/Shades are cool? ?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  15:48:06  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,
I have yet another Realms question, too.
Fish. Taken well inland, for sale as food. Customarily: Dried? Smoked? Salted and dried? Made into cakes or something? Packed in clay jars, in oil?
(?)
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  16:04:32  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Baleful Avatar
My Realms question for today concerns Cormyr, and "rebel teenagers" (of both genders and all actual ages). We know that nobles can be "rakes" (wenching, drinking, vandalizing rips, like the young noble characters Ed and Elaine portrayed in the novel CITY OF SPLENDORS), but are NON-noble "rakes" tolerated? Do they exist? Are they the sort of role models younglings and teenagers would want to be like? And what about young, rebellious females? Can they be rakes, or do they "act up" some other way?
Non-noble "rakes" do exist, though they tend to be of the wealthier classes (merchants' sons, usually younger children, who aren't expected to learn the family's trade and take over for their fathers in a few years). Most lower-income families can't afford rakish behavior, because it means that there's a son that isn't helping the family well enough; if your boy has enough energy at the end of the day to go out wenching, then he didn't put his back into that day's work.

In more rural areas, there is inevitably a "heartbreaker" sort of young man, who likes to jump from the affections of paramour to paramour, but they tend not to be the destructive type--unless they are truly malicious or planning on pursuing, in short order, a life of quiet marriage or one on the road adventuring. Folks in places like Espar simply don't abide that sort of behavior.

As for female rakes, well, ahem, yes. They exist, of course. They tend to fall into two sorts: the hard-riding, fencing, kiss-claiming "tomboy" type that inevitably wind up adventuring for some part of their lives (Alusair is a prime example of this type of "rake"); and the very beautiful, alluring, barely-clad type that wears gowns which plunge and rise in all the correct places, reveal entirely too much flesh, conceal certain bits with strategically hung or applied (through glues and similar adhesives) metals and gemstones, and otherwise serve as tempting "prizes" at noble revels. The Lady Regal presented early in Elminster's Daughter (whose proper name escapes me at present) is one such lady.

Noble rakes of both genders and all classes tend to pursue their activities out of boredom and excitement, although some do so from excesses of particular appetites (lust, drunkenness, or desire for destruction). The behavior is generally tolerated more in males than in females, although the attitudes are different; men are expected, on marriage, to reduce their destruction (though not necessarily their wenching), while women are expected to direct their energies toward their husbands, in order that they might draw their desires to the marital bedchamber rather than festhalls and the like.

Part of the reason that revels are so popular among young nobles is that they allow unmarried, unbetrothed young folk to "feel each other out" (pun only slightly intended), to see whether their appetites match one another, and if a couple will be capable of keeping one another's attentions. Woe to the husband that thought his wife's sultry appearance and navel-baring gown when he first met her was entirely for show. He's meant to reward that display with attention worthy of the challenge.

More from Ed, I hope...
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  16:16:03  Show Profile  Click to see Foxhelm's MSN Messenger address  Send Foxhelm a Yahoo! Message Send Foxhelm a Private Message
This is a 4th Ed question.

In the FRCG, there is a chapter for threats for the new realms of the 1400's. My question is what kind of organizations would a good/Lawful Good/Unaligned character want to join?

Thank you.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  18:46:51  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Ooooh! Great reply, Garen!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  18:51:55  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I'm sure there have been some changes to merchant trading costers (and priakos) in the hundred years between the Grand History and the 4e FRCG, and I don't expect a long catalogue of them, but I do want to know: is the relative social and economic importance of costers and priakos changed much? Do they still fulfill the same function in overall trade, and generally in the same way?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  18:55:17  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Hi. Question for Ed:
How "Lovecraftian" (eldritch horror 'behind' everyday life, revealed slowly through PC campaigning) is the home FR campaign? How like that did you envisage the original Realms as being?
Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  19:09:31  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Oho! So on another thread here at the Keep, I read this, from our very lovely Lady THO:
"Hey, now, Ardashir, don't go applying our real world morals to Cormyr in the Realms! Fee knew all about Azoun's character before she married him, and their marriage was very happy (read some of the scenes in the Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy, and Ed's Realmslore web columns, for examples).
Ed tells me he has a Filfaeril story idea or two up his sleeve, for publication somewhere and somewhen . . . (both young Filfaeril and Dowager Queen Filfaeril).
And then, of course, there's the famous "cutting room floor" royal bedchamber sex scene Ed wrote for a novel, long ago, where Azoun and his queen are TRYING to make love, but keep getting interrupted (by servants, would-be assassins, War Wizards, Vangey, both of their daughters, Glarasteer Rhauligan . . .) :}
love to all,
THO"
Obviously, my question is...WHEN DO WE GET TO READ THIS SCENE?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  19:27:23  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Hmmm. Is that the one Ed read out at a long-ago GenCon (Phil Athan's first GenCon, I think, because he was attending that "fiction reading" session looking more and more shocked), when Ed would sing "doo doo doo" whenver he got to any naughty words or descriptions, because someone had brought their young children to the event?
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  19:39:46  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message
Ah, the good old days when every GenCon had Author Readings. Often on a stage, mind you, with a large audience, and the likes of Jeff Grubb treating us to forthcoming scenes.
Not to mention Ed PERFORMING his!
Go to Top of Page

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  19:53:25  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I have an unusual request. A friend of mine is getting married, and he and his lady would like to have the wedding feast consist of Realms dishes (some appetizers/finger food, a main dish, and a dessert that can be served in a glass [need not be liquid, though]). Any suggestions? Any of your published recipes that really "work"?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  20:45:28  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,
My latest question (ta dah!) concerns walking sticks. In fashion, anywhere in the Realms? Nobility only, or wannabes, or by guild, or--? Older generations only, or "cool" among the up-and-comers? Restricted by law or custom anywhere to particular ranks, races, groups, etc.?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  22:09:05  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Hi, Ed and THO,
In the "new" Realms (post-Spellplague) are there any realms that brand human criminals? Does any guild or organization brand members?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2008 :  23:57:31  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed I'm curious for terms used by bandits and such, like "Stand and Deliver", what would a city rake say as opposed to a pirate seeking valuables on a boarded ship. What is say when one is relieving a lady of her jewels in Baldur's Gate compared to whats said to a barbarian who robs a caravan in the north?

Just any colorful terms and slang across faerun that you recall.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  01:46:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello all, I bring you Ed's reply to this query, from Marek: "Is there a list of all Thayan enclaves in the Realms? I realized those listed in the paragraph in Lords of Darkness are not all. Thanks!"
Ed replies:

Hi, Marek. No, the Realms designers (this is the 3e team I'm speaking of) deliberately did not want to list them all, so a DM would be free to have either no Thayan enclave in a given settlement (with the exception of the relatively few specified in canon printed lore), or to place a small, hitherto-unknown (or even secret, save from a ruler or a powerful cabal of nobles) local Thayan enclave in whatever locale the DM desires to, in his/her campaign.
In other words, don't worry about having a complete list; do what fits your campaign.
This is the same reason I long ago established the "loose ends" rule: for every "loose end" you explain away in the Realms (as a game or fiction writer), generate at least three new ones, so as never to run DMs out of "elbow room." The best have followed this rule whenever possible.

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms and THE Master of "making it all seem real."
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  01:54:26  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Aha! Been thinking about that reply of Ed's re. the hair and the headgear, a page back in this thread, and Rino wanting to see a picture.
Ed, re, the hats: would some of the (simpler, early) hats in THE 500 HATS OF BARTHOLOMEW CUBBINS (think I've got the title right; the Dr. Seuss classic, anyway) be right, in appearance? It sure sounds like it!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  05:07:48  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Dear Ed and Lady THO,
My latest question (ta dah!) concerns walking sticks. In fashion, anywhere in the Realms? Nobility only, or wannabes, or by guild, or--? Older generations only, or "cool" among the up-and-comers? Restricted by law or custom anywhere to particular ranks, races, groups, etc.?
Thanks!
BB

... And what modifications do they typically have? The walking sticks, not the people.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  20:41:56  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message
And now I harass poor Mister Greenwood with my lunacy again...

There's a rather interesting thread here http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7441&whichpage=1 which talks about 'changing your race' in the Realms.

I do remember Mister Greenwood did mention that this does happen sometimes in the Realms. I think the book about the Harpers said that sometimes Harper agents have to accept changes of race or even species for a mission, but I would like to know just how is 'race-shifting' regarded in the Realms?

For that matter, if someone gets reincarnated and comes back in a vastly different form, just how do most Realmsian societies react to them? I can't help but to think that at least a few people would be suspicious when some bugbear or gnoll shows up at the front door claiming to be Lord or Princess Whoever, "But I was killed and then a druid brought me back! No, really! Ask me anything, I'll prove it!"

Eagerly and respectfully awaiting a response.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  22:37:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone. This time I bring you Ed's response to Malcolm's post: "Aha! Been thinking about that reply of Ed's re. the hair and the headgear, a page back in this thread, and Rino wanting to see a picture. Ed, re. the hats: would some of the (simpler, early) hats in THE 500 HATS OF BARTHOLOMEW CUBBINS (think I've got the title right; the Dr. Seuss classic, anyway) be right, in appearance? It sure sounds like it!"
Ed replies:

Sounds like it and IS. You've got it exactly, if you picture that sort of hat mated to long hairpins (not the "straight pin" sort, but the bobby-pin two-pronged type) that can "clip" around tresses of hair and at the same time penetrate the hat, to hold it securely. Two or three of those used to keep the front point ('prow") of the hat down and the rear of that hat "up," so the result is headgear pinned diagonally, front low and rear lofting into the air.

So saith Ed. Primping well-dressed Waterdhavians everywhere.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  22:40:36  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Do my spies deceive me, or has Phantasm, the annual gaming con in Peterborough, being held again?
If so, will Ed be there?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  22:46:08  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
As in: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada?
Rather a long trip for many of us.
Sigh.
Yet (as usual) another Realmslore question occurs to me, while watching college football. Is there a football-like (American, I mean, with thrown balls and plays from scrimmage) game played in the Realms, with local rivalries and betting on outcomes and suchlike? (I'm assuming there's a soccer/British football equivalent, just because the slightly simpler "two teams kicking a ball, trying to get it into opposing team's goal" games seem to exist in all cultures (and I seem to recall mention, somewhere, of orcs playing a version of soccer in the Realms using severed heads for the balls).
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
777 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  23:21:49  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Spells stilled, scribes:

This question is for you Madam Peekaboo (what is under
that lovely hood I wonder ?),

In any of Ed's games, have you ever got the impression that the
Srinshee was one of the winged elf race. I have looked over
some of the older material and just get this feeling that it might be a possibility.

For Ed, who among the Chosen or the lost arcane masters of the
past have studied in the Golden Grove of Knowledge that are outside the list CEoE. If you can't remember, that's okay, I know it is a pretty obscure question.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2008 :  04:08:27  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
althen, what is "CEoE"?
I know I should know, but my tired brain is drawing a blank.
So: ?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Pasta Fzoul
Learned Scribe

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2008 :  04:19:44  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

althen, what is "CEoE"?
I know I should know, but my tired brain is drawing a blank.
So: ?
Thanks.

Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves, I'd guess.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2008 :  15:58:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. This time I present Ed’s response to Blueblade’s query: “Hi Ed and THO, I have yet another Realms question, too. Fish. Taken well inland, for sale as food. Customarily: Dried? Smoked? Salted and dried? Made into cakes or something? Packed in clay jars, in oil?
(?) Thanks! BB”
Ed replies:

Heh. All of the above. In Waterdeep, you can buy it all of those ways, though salted-and-dried is intended for long-term travel and storage (i.e. you’d buy it to consume during a long overland journey, or if you were a caravan merchant intending to resell it along the way or at the end of your “run” (overland journey).
In the Sword Coast north, smoked (and North American scribes please note: this really means smoked, in smokehouses until dried out, NOT chemically bathed with a flavoring agent the way most supermarkets sell so-called “smoked salmon”) fish that’s packed in wax-sealed clay pots of oil is the most popular way that “fish or shellfish from afar” (as opposed to fresh-caught local fish, which is abundant across the North, from crabs and river clams to all manner of fish) is offered for sale.
A “tile” or square of wood about two feet across, on a side, is fashioned with three layers: a bottom and a top that are latched together with rope or metal bolt-and-crosspin corner fastenings, so as to sandwich a centre layer wood square pierced with holes. The clay pots, which are really circular lidded bowls, fit snugly into round holes in the centre wooden square, and are held immobile by the “top” and “bottom” squares (plus, usually, some old scrap cloth padding that’s clamped between them).
Traditionally, a few spices have been added to the oil, which is typically saved by the purchaser after the fish has been consumed, and used for other “keep from the air and therefore from rotting” food storage, i.e. for some cheeses, for small cooked meat scraps, and the like. (However, please don’t infer from this that they are strongly or “hot” spiced; the spices tend to be a gentle mix that’s either “tarragon plus sage plus wild leek” or some variant of same, NOT hot peppers or anything of the sort. The LAST thing most folk of Faerűn desire is to have the mild flavors of no-longer-fresh fish overwhelmed and hidden by seasonings.

So saith Ed. Whose notes were at the ready for this one, I see.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000