Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2008 :  14:50:56  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

Dear Lady THO and Ed,
I have a relatively small, simple question this time. Long ago Ed established "everbright" and another enchantment "blueshine,"
My question is: did the collapse of the Weave have any general effects on these enchantments, or rather on existing swords bearing them?

Malcolm, both treatments are achemical and part of the crafting process rather than magical so I see no reason why the collapse of the Weave would affect them. As to whether the knowledge and skills to perform the processes still exist post Spellplague then whatever best suits your game seems the sensible choice?

To quote from Volo's Guide to All Things Magical which is a free download available on the WoTC site

Metals treated with everbright gain an enduring bright shine (akin to chromium) and become immune to tarnishing and other discoloration, acidic corrosion, and rusting, even that caused by rust monster antennae. The passage of time does not affect the efficacy of everbright protection, but it can be broken if a protected item is shattered into more than three pieces or comes into contact with lava, dragon fire, spellfire, or the heat of a forge hotter than that used in the latter stages of the everbright application.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 29 Aug 2008 14:59:36
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2008 :  14:53:15  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Aluena breeds pegasi. I don't think that unicorns would consent to being "bred" by a human. Serpent Kingdoms lists her as Neutral, Wizard 9/Harper Mage 3 and associates her with Serpent's Cowl not with Boareskyr Bridge, as she had been in previous materials. I think Ed answered a question of mine about her a couple of years ago, possibly in connection with his answer about Atad "Yelloweyes." Download the Ed Answers archives and run a search on them to find anything Ed may have said in the past.

My files aren't as complete as Sage's, but I didn't find any queries about Aluena. She was mentioned in a question about Atad "Yelloweyes", but only in the question.

My files contain all of Ed's replies from Candlekeep, up to the beginning of this week. And aside from the reference Wooly notes above [11 June 07], I can find no further info on Aluena in Ed's past replies.

I will point out that Aluena is also briefly mentioned in the Old Grey Box, Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast and Elminster's Ecologies Appendix II. And she receives significant coverage in the Player's Guide to the Forgotten Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2008 :  21:40:23  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Thanks very much, Damian. For some reason I was remembering them as Weave-based magical. So . . . hmmm . . .
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2008 :  22:15:15  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Sage, since your compiled answers are so complete, would you be willing and able to update the compiled answers in the archives? As far as I can see, they stop after the first quarter of 2007. I was planning to undertake that task today (someone having explained to me that my computer's operating system has the built-in ability to create pdfs), but I don't want to duplicate work that someone else has done.

This is what Elminster's Ecologies, Appendix II has to say about Aluena (page 29, in the Boareskyr Bridge entry under "Serpent Hills" -- above the Serpent's Cowl section):
quote:
Upstream a short distance from the bridge is Heartwing, the private estate of Aluena Halacanter, a mage who raises pegasi. She confided to me that her original pegasi eggs were a clutch she rescued from the heights of the Serpent Hills years ago. So, though wild pegasi are extremely rare in the hills (because predatory reptiles raid the creatures#146; nests), pegasi thrive at Heartwing.

I looked in The Player's Guide to Faerun and couldn't find anything about her (it's called an INDEX, WotC, an index!). Is she listed in one of the new abominations (which would make her something like 140 years old)? Does she have tentacles and pseudopods, or is she one one of those "special" high-powered wizards who don't "unbalance" the game the way that PC wizards did?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  01:42:11  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Sage, since your compiled answers are so complete, would you be willing and able to update the compiled answers in the archives? As far as I can see, they stop after the first quarter of 2007. I was planning to undertake that task today (someone having explained to me that my computer's operating system has the built-in ability to create pdfs), but I don't want to duplicate work that someone else has done.
Are you referring to the "So Saith Ed" archives? If so, Kuje finished up the '07 files and Alaundo's stored them on the main site. I've also compiled the first quarter of '08 which Alaundo has only recently stored in the archive during the last site update.
quote:
I looked in The Player's Guide to Faerun and couldn't find anything about her (it's called an INDEX, WotC, an index!). Is she listed in one of the new abominations (which would make her something like 140 years old)? Does she have tentacles and pseudopods, or is she one one of those "special" high-powered wizards who don't "unbalance" the game the way that PC wizards did?
Heh. Note, that I did say Player's Guide to the Forgotten Realms, a 2e resource.

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  15:45:04  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,
Another question from the Tireless Questor: there has been much talk here and elsewhere about the new FRCS and its lack of depth compared to the approach used in the "core " FR books of previous editions. I personally hold the view that if you design a vast and detailed world, no "core" book that's economically viable can ever be long enough to hold all the lore you need it to, and I suspect both of you would agree with that, but (if this isn't too impolitic to ask at this time), IF Ed were running Wizards right now, but had to produce a new line of FR books with the same time jump and Spellplague, what products would he propose? Would we see Volo's Guides equivalents? Regional sourcebooks? ?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  17:50:37  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
I would like to ask Ed and Lady Hooded if there is a word in any Realmsian language that is the equivalent of safari?
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  18:01:24  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
"Safari" as it's used in English, meaning "expedition to hunt big game," you mean?
I once used it that way in a school essay and got rather coldly corrected by my (black African) teacher at the time, who said the word has different "original" meanings in some African languages (it apparently got borrowed over time, and ended up in several languages).
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2008 :  22:59:39  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry I should have made it clearer
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  08:32:04  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
From the Online Etymological Dictionary: "safari -- 1890 (attested from 1860 as a foreign word), from Swahili, lit. "journey, expedition," from Arabic, lit. "referring to a journey," from safar "journey" (which is attested in Eng. as a foreign word from 1858)." The word is Arabic (Swahili is a dialect of Arabic), and is only "African" to the extent that Arab traders (and slavers) used it to communicate with locals in East Africa.

I'm "on" Africa this week because I have seen Hasbro's preview of its Chult chapter from their new Forgotten Realms {sic} Campaign Guide. Having seen that, I despair for the future of the Forgotten Realms, and sincerely hope that Ed uses that chapter as justification to withdraw his endorsement of Hasbro's Realms.New.Coke. *sigh*

Apropos of Ed's Answers, I would like to verify that I have everything that is supposed to be there: the 2007 Index "doc" file has the index for January through June, and the 2007 Index "pdf" covers January through March, and there's not yet a 2008 index, right?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  10:28:37  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Not yet. I just haven't had the time to compile an "Index" for the '08 reply files that have been uploaded already.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  15:24:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time I bring swift and simple Realmslore from Ed in response to arry’s question: “I would like to ask Ed and Lady Hooded if there is a word in any Realmsian language that is the equivalent of safari?”
Ed replies:

“Safari” originally meant “about or pertaining to a journey” (“safar” is journey), but in ‘Western’ English, these days, usually means a journey that’s a big game hunt (with camera, if not always, as it almost exclusively meant not so long ago, with guns).
There are, of course, many words for both meanings in the wide variety of Realmsian languages, but only these I list here are often used by speakers employing the Common Tongue (because they’ve crept into Common):

• “starstride” (from a human bardic translation of an elven saying) means: “leave on a journey that one wants to make, or because one has the itch to travel.” It’s used somewhat as Australians say, “going [or: gone] walkabout.”

• “hardride” (old human word, retained into Common) is any longish journey in wild or lawless or unfamiliar to the speaker terrain, often for trade purposes (so no one in Cormyr would speak of “hardriding” to anywhere else in the realm, even the westernmost mountainous areas, but might use it for the Stonelands, and would definitely use it to describe a journey that went into backland Sembia or westwards into Tunland or “monster-haunted parts beyond”).

• “harhoon” (derived long ago from a misheard goblin word that’s curiously close to the gnomish word “larahoun”) means a kidnapping (or beast-capturing) expedition, and these days is used when one is expecting trouble and perfectly prepared to kill without hesitation, if need be, to achieve the goal of the trip. A “harhoon” is never a regular military patrol (which is, ahem, a “patrol” or a “sword-see”).

• “creak-saddle” is an abjective (of fairly recent Common-Tongue coining) used to describe any journey that involved harsh conditions or that tired or injured (or slew) mounts, pack animals, or riders/walkers. It is usually extended to describe bad routes, dangerous passes or trails, and so on (“proper creak-saddle way of getting there, if ye ask me”).

• “bloodlance” is the polite or formal term (of fairly recent Common-Tongue coining) for an extermination expedition or killing raid (either to “put down” enough predatory beasts to make a route safer, or to slay intelligent foes in a skirmish or as part of an ongoing war.

• “tarsark” (derived from the gnomish “tarsurk” or the halfling “tassark,” or both) is the more casual, less polite equivalent of “bloodlance.”

• “barellar” (derived from the gnomish “bellarra” [because gnomes dwell so much with humans, in human-dominated cities, many gnomish words influence the Common Tongue]) is a hunt to kill beasts, either for food or sport.

So saith Ed, creator of most of the Realms and most of its linguistics.
Love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  17:49:40  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Ed replies: “Safari” originally meant.....
<<SNIPPED FOR BREVITY>>

Just amazing, this has made my day

True Lore about the Realms that can be used whatever edition or game system you are playing.

My thanks to Ed and THO for this.

Can't wait for my next game to bring these words into play.

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 31 Aug 2008 22:17:41
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  21:31:58  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3302 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2008 :  22:34:45  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Ed,

If one was to use the FRCG's 'Abeir' under another name and as part of another world from Toril, what might that name be, and what other advice would you give?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  04:39:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, Faraer, great question!
I have forwarded it to Ed, and I know a swift answer should be forthcoming (once his family has departed), because two close friends of Ed's have already asked him this very question, privately. I can't recall all of his answer off the top of my head, I'm afraid, but I CAN recall that he considered the two dragon empires (which Wizards asked him to include) too unbalanced if the continent sees "standalone" use, UNLESS they are even more "fallen" than they are presented as, in the FRCS (i.e. draconic rulers dead, or l-o-o-o-ng asleep and nigh-legendary [so PCs better not wake them or else!], or insane after being magically transformed into non-flying, trapped-in-their-lair forms.
I also know that Ed REALLY wanted to detail the Sword River settlements and the larger port cities more than he had space to, and will try to amend that in Realmslore web-columns.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  07:10:35  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Another qustion: What happened to Syrumstar Auglamyr? In Cormanthor, she is mentioned, nut did she survive the Fall of Myth Drannor and coninue on as a Chosen? Or did she fall defending the city?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  08:18:18  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Steven has told us, over the years, that she is dead. More about her can be found in the Fall of Myth Drannor module and her chocker was updated for 3/3.5...... in Lost Empires maybe?

quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Another qustion: What happened to Syrumstar Auglamyr? In Cormanthor, she is mentioned, nut did she survive the Fall of Myth Drannor and coninue on as a Chosen? Or did she fall defending the city?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  09:02:44  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
I'll check that.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  09:04:59  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Steven has told us, over the years, that she is dead. More about her can be found in the Fall of Myth Drannor module and her chocker was updated for 3/3.5...... in Lost Empires maybe?

quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Aye. She's dead... according to Steven Schend. We don't know much beyond that. Elminster in Myth Drannor is another source for Symrustar too. And 'Symrustar's Choker' was detailed in the Player's Guide to Faerûn.

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  09:28:40  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Forgot that question. I found in the Fall of Myth Drannor that she was last seen at the Battle of Shadusk's Glade, where she was last seen exploding with Malimshaer. Malimshaer's seared skull and ribcage fell at Captain's Selorn's feet. No remains of Syrumstar were ever found, but Captain Selorn found that he held her Choker in his hand at the end, and she had sworn it would leave her only at her death.
So my new question is, why were there no remains of Syrumstar? Was she totally consumed by the fire, leaving only ahes that were swept away in the wind? Or did she survive and go somewhere else? If so, why did she leave her Choker?

Go to Top of Page

Marek
Seeker

Italy
52 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  11:43:50  Show Profile  Visit Marek's Homepage Send Marek a Private Message
Hello,
I'm back again with some question about Thay.
Why Mystra and Azuth, being the most important deities of magic, are not worshipped in Thay?
I know there's a secret temple of Mystra in Bezantur but it's more of a Harpists hideout.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  17:24:18  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Spells stilled, all:

Edward, I am in the middle of statting up Nezras the traitor Wiz23/Arch5/NethereseArcanist3.
3.0. Tell me if this is a combination close of what you had envisioned, and what types of magic schools and studies he concentrated on. Thanks ahead of time.

(I have also statted up The Nomad of Scars, and I think everbody will
like what I envisioned him as.)

Edited by - althen artren on 01 Sep 2008 17:25:35
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14528 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  17:37:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
THO and ED, thank you for all that lore. Its the little things like that that make the Realms come to life for many of us.

quote:
Originally posted by Marek

Hello,
I'm back again with some question about Thay.
Why Mystra and Azuth, being the most important deities of magic, are not worshipped in Thay?
I know there's a secret temple of Mystra in Bezantur but it's more of a Harpists hideout.

You answered your own question, you know.

There may have been a time when Mystra's worship was more prominent amongst the Red Wizards (probably right after they broke with Mulhorand and the Pharaonic Pantheon). However, with each 'revision', Mystryl/Mystra has been getting less and less 'neutal' in her outlook, and her obvious asociation with the Harpers (she had Elminster form them!) precludes any sort of large-scale devotion to her within Thay.

As you pointed out, Temples to Mystra would just all become 'safe-houses' for Harper spies.

As for Azuth - he's Halruaan. Its that simple; Thay and Halruaa are the two big, magical 'power-houses' of the Realms, so are natural rivals. The Thayans would be too paranoid that Azuthans were trying to steal their magic for Halruaa (which is ridiculous, but we are talking about a paranoid, insular people here).

Hope that helps, until Ed comes along with something more official.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Sep 2008 17:39:42
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3302 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  20:40:15  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
The picture in the Old Grey Box and in FR6 Dreams of the Red Wizards is that Mystra and Azuth are worshipped in Thay but in lesser roles than Kossuth and other gods. In Spellbound, worship of Azuth and Mystra ('patron of the hated Harpers') has been banned. 'The Red Wizards jealously guard the secrets of magic and hate any being, mortal or immortal, who seeks to spread knowledge of sorcery to others.' That is a plausible reason for Mystra's lesser role there, but I think the idea of her getting less neutral is far more a matter of fan and (to an extent) designer perception than a fact in the Realms (viz. the unjustified attention given by some to one unlikely episode in one of the Avatar sequels). Manshoon worships Mystra; she is seen as the Weave first of all and Harper-involved much less, in any time period.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000