Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  02:15:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Ashe Ravenheart recently posted: "Ah, a question brought on by going through another scroll, and one perhaps the lovely Lady of the Hood can answer forthwith:
You had mentioned Ed running various games at GenCon and other venues. Although I had never been blessed to play in one of his games, I did get to have a 'dinner and a reading' with him lo about ten years (or more) back. My question is, do you have a schedule of Ed's convention appearances outside of GenCon? Or can you point us to one?
My many thanks, THO and pass on my good hope to Ed and his family,
Ashe"

Ashe, your good hope has been passed on. I'm afraid Ed doesn't have a formal convention schedule posted anywhere, and from now on his wife's health is going to largely dictate what he can and can't attend.
However, I can say this much: Ed firmly intends to attend GenCon Indy in August 2009, he attends Phantasm in Peterborough whenever he can, and he has been asked to attend the 2009 Pentacon in Fort Wayne, Indiana (a convention he loves, but can't always manage to fit into his writing work and day job schedule).
This past year, with the launch of 4e, Ed guested at more conventions than he has for some years, managing to show up at D&D Experience and Origins for the first time in many years (his last D&D Exp before 2008 was a Milwaukee Winter Fantasy, and his last Origins was the year it was combined with GenCon, also in Milwaukee).
I will promise that when I know ahead of time that Ed's attending a convention, and he tells me it's okay to let the wider world know (and I can't see why he wouldn't), I will post the news here, with as much advance warning as possible.
Everyone should get their Eddie fix, if they can.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 02 Oct 2008 03:03:47
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  03:10:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I've just received another brief e-mail from Ed, and the long arm of coincidence is apparent; it, too, deals with an Ashe Ravenheart question, this one from back on Page 59: "Yes, I've remembered my Lore question. I don't recall seeing mention of the Knights of Myth Drannor in the FRCG. Even if some of the members are no longer with us in body (although they will remain in spirit forever), has the group still survived? Possibly with Azalar Falconhand heading the group for a time?"
Ed replies:

I'm afraid heavy NDAs cover the Knights, as far as the 4e Realms are concerned. Part of that is to give my players the freedom to play their characters their way, and part of it's because I DO plan to say something in a future Realms novel. "Something," I said, not necessarily future fictional appearances by any of the Knights.
I could say more, but that would (ahem) be telling.

So saith Ed. Coy old rogue that he is.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  04:22:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Stonwulfe
"Is Old Snarl Elminster or some other great wizard?"

I've attacked this question from several angles, trying the same methods I might use to answer "where does Clark go when Superman appears?" This might sound like a bit of an oversimplification, but that's the biggest part of it. While I recognize that Elminster is (formerly) the Sage of Shadowdale, he seems to be the only human who knows anything of truth about Klauth, with most of the lore about the dragon penned by his hand. To the best of my knowledge they've never fought, never been in the same place (at least by witness account), and never been friends (who can be a friend to a bugger-mad old red dragon?). Mind you, I'm not as up on my readings as I should be, but still.
<snipped for space>
It would make sense that Elminster would create a spell that only one dragon in existence has access to, and only one would be mad enough to use, to explain his incredible size, longevity, and power. One could argue that it's a convenient explanation for the fact that Elminster is nigh-immortal, and he would have to pass on that same to his draconic form.

I had a similar suspicion, and an interesting coincidence on the WotC website that brought it back to mind. I was downloading the "Wyrms of the North" articles, and the only one listed in the site archives that I wasn't able to download at least as a web page was... you guessed it. "Old Snarl" himself. Now, is this a coincidence, or an NDA waiting to be slammed into at full speed?

On a related note: As far as past articles by Ed that are no longer available for viewing or PDF download on WotC.com, is there any way to obtain electronic copies directly from Ed or another source via e-mail? With the direction 4E is taking, both with events in the Realms and with (as I understand it) a "zero published supplements outside of Insider" policy, I want to accumulate all the existing lore I can. I would even pay money to Wizards for a CD or DVD with all of Ed's (and others', even) pre-Spellplague Realmslore e-writings (and that's about the only thing I would pay Wizards for, given that we're not going to be seeing any more 3E sourcebooks now). Thanks for any information you can provide.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  04:43:25  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

On a related note: As far as past articles by Ed that are no longer available for viewing or PDF download on WotC.com, is there any way to obtain electronic copies directly from Ed or another source via e-mail? With the direction 4E is taking, both with events in the Realms and with (as I understand it) a "zero published supplements outside of Insider" policy, I want to accumulate all the existing lore I can. I would even pay money to Wizards for a CD or DVD with all of Ed's (and others', even) pre-Spellplague Realmslore e-writings (and that's about the only thing I would pay Wizards for, given that we're not going to be seeing any more 3E sourcebooks now). Thanks for any information you can provide.

Well it is for Ed to answer fully, WotC owns FR and thus the content. There is no legal way you can obtain material that WotC is no longer providing for free.

On the upside it is posible the material is still free, just need to find it in obscure locations of WotC website. Search never points to all articles in topic, though having a direct link I can link to it. Alas for you, what few bookmarks I saved and still work does not include what you are seeking.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 02 Oct 2008 04:44:54
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  05:15:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I had a similar suspicion, and an interesting coincidence on the WotC website that brought it back to mind. I was downloading the "Wyrms of the North" articles, and the only one listed in the site archives that I wasn't able to download at least as a web page was... you guessed it. "Old Snarl" himself. Now, is this a coincidence, or an NDA waiting to be slammed into at full speed?
Hmmm... I didn't have any problems downloading the page. Which web browser are you using? Perhaps it's detecting a particular problem with the page itself and, thus, won't allow you to download it.
quote:
Most of Ed's past "Realmslore," "Waterdeep News," and "Border Kingdoms" articles can still be accessed freely via the Wizard site here. There are also some other FR articles, like Eric Boyd's fantastic "Minitper's Chapbook," stored in the 'Retired Articles' section of that archive as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Oct 2008 05:17:34
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  05:28:42  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Most of Ed's past "Realmslore," "Waterdeep News," and "Border Kingdoms" articles can still be accessed freely via the Wizard site here. There are also some other FR articles, like Eric Boyd's fantastic "Minitper's Chapbook," stored in the 'Retired Articles' section of that archive as well.

Would'st it not were safer to store all such materials here in the Keep?

Yonder wizards are subtle and quick to anger, and not known for their devotion to old lore and dry scrolls in any case.

In the Keep such scrolls may rest with due reverence, so that all shall know them by the grace of Oghma and the everflowing bounty of Deneir.

Knowledge must not die.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  05:54:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Keep in mind that in addition to using things like Google's cached pages, you can also -- provided you know the timeframe -- use the Internet Archive and its Wayback Machine to find older versions of existing sites. I viewed the Klauth article earlier today, using the cached version.

From what I've seen, WotC rarely takes stuff off of their website -- they just stop updating the links. For example, the original Roll of Years rtf file, posted back in 2000, is still on the website -- you just have to know the exact URL to find it. There's some other articles like that from early 2000 mentioned in my Lost Archives thread.

The WotC site is neither the best organized nor the best constructed. When I can't find something specific, it's usually because they've hosed something again, and it'll be back in a few days.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  05:56:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Hmmm... I didn't have any problems downloading the page. Which web browser are you using? Perhaps it's detecting a particular problem with the page itself and, thus, won't allow you to download it.

That's gotta be it. I can't load the page with IE7, but Firefox has no problem loading it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  06:07:31  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Originally posted by Althen Artren in the 2007 scroll:

quote:
Got another question about the Baneblades while you have those notes out, Ed. When exactly was Dragathil recovered? In my version of the Realms, I have it as the sword of the Arms Major of Evereska, but would like to have the back story if not covered by a *crunch* NDA.

I was wondering about this myself, and I was only able to locate the question quoted above. The latest dated information I can find is the following, from GHotR page 92:

quote:
590 Year of the Turning Leaf
Arms-Major Pirphal dies with most of his patrol in the western forest, victims of the black dragon Mrinabnahor. Dragathil is lost to the elves for the next four centuries, as the wyrm steals it away for its mountain hoard west of the Dragon Sea.

The phrase "the next four centuries" would indicate that it was recovered sometime around the year 990 to 1000, give or take... but the recovery is never described in any source I can find.

Apologies if this was answered earlier; I searched the 2007 scroll page-by-page and could find no other reference to Dragathil. Maybe my search-fu is lousy.

On a related note, I'm also trying to establish how the Artblade got from Edallisufanxar to Josidiah Starym, and from there how Guenhwyvar got from Josidiah to Drizzt. I have two alternate theories:

[1] Josidiah encountered the dragon in his lair, spotted the blade, and offered the figurine in trade (such a wondrous figurine is far more interesting to a dragon than *another* magical sword), and the dragon was subsequently killed by a drow adventuring party, and from there the figurine finds its way to Drizzt as per the account (which I don't recall just now and can't look up) in the Dark Elf Trilogy by Bob Salvatore.

[2] (in brief) Elf meets drow. Panther attacks drow. Elf succumbs to sleep poison and is left for dead. Drow takes figurine. Elf wakes up. Elf finds lair of now-dead dragon. Elf finds elfblade. Elf returns to surface. Eventually, Drizzt gains the figurine as described by Bob Salvatore. Josidiah can't talk about what happened out of shame for his inability to defend himself or his feline friend. I don't find this the least bit plausible, but I'm throwing it out there all the same.

Any thoughts anyone has on these questions are appreciated, but I'm particularly interested in what Ed and the always lovely and flirtatious Hooded One have to say on the matter.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  06:12:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That's gotta be it. I can't load the page with IE7, but Firefox has no problem loading it.

That's probably it then. I'm using IE7. Bleh.

I tried tweaking the specific filename in the URL, thinking that might have been the problem, but if the link works, then it's all my browser. Thanks to both The Sage and Wooly Rupert for fielding this one for Ed, since it didn't end up being a Realmslore query at all.

[Edit:]
Although... there is something to be said for the theory quoted earlier... perhaps Ed can comment on the idea of "Klauthminster" if he has the time?

With all this Realmslore I'm downloading, my hard drive is starting to look like the digital equivalent of a tiny corner of Ed's basement... I would never claim it to be as filled as the whole thing, after all the descriptions I've read in these scrolls.

Edited by - Jakk on 02 Oct 2008 06:21:10
Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  06:21:40  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message
I think I've got a good one. What moment, in terms of emotional attachment to characters, was the hardest you've had to write in all the time you've been writing about the realms?

And another quick question, what is your favorite type of hero to write about? Noble, righteous, scoundrel, etc?

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  06:58:01  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Sorry... my questions just keep coming this evening.

I was searching Candlekeep for lore on the mythal cities, in particular the cities of old Keltormir (Myth Rhynn, Myth Unnohyr, and Myth Dyraalis) and I found this post in the 2006 scroll:

quote:

Hi, all! createvmind recently asked: “Are there any plans to reveal what is in Myth Rhynn in the Wealdath, if no NDA could you give us a snippet of what may be or have "recently-1372 to current" traipsed/reside through/in the corrupted Mythal and it's ruins?”
Ed replies:
Although it’s looking increasingly less likely that published Realmslore will get around to exploring Myth Rhynn, there are in fact TWO NDAs (one rooted in Wizards’ Book Department, and the other part of a computer game license) preventing me giving any lore-answer about Myth Rhynn at this time. I have no real idea how soon I’ll know otherwise, though I can speculate: 2008. Perhaps.

If the NDAs are still in effect, perhaps you can still provide founding years for the mythals of Keltormir (Myth Dyraalis, Myth Rhynn, and Myth Unnohyr), which I assume would date back to before -10000, given that the realm existed from -17800 to -8500. Any more precision you can give to these dates would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note: Any chance of WotC weeding out its obsolete NDAs so you can give us more Realmslore? (he asks without holding his breath)

Thanks for any and all details you can provide, and best wishes.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  08:45:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

Would'st it not were safer to store all such materials here in the Keep?
Candlekeep does have links to most of the original FR articles uploaded to the Wizards website. We've even got some of them stored here too, as well as articles taken from other sites.

I suppose such a move *could* be possible. But it's likely we'd have to wait for the new fansite license from WotC which should clarify how such content can be managed by non-WotC sites.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  08:47:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'd initially tried through FireFox, with no problems. I've since attempted to download the page via SageOS, and encountered a similar IE-related inability to download the article properly.
quote:
That's probably it then. I'm using IE7. Bleh.

I tried tweaking the specific filename in the URL, thinking that might have been the problem, but if the link works, then it's all my browser. Thanks to both The Sage and Wooly Rupert for fielding this one for Ed, since it didn't end up being a Realmslore query at all.
Do you have the article now? If not, I can probably send you a copy.

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Oct 2008 08:49:26
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  09:35:22  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Yes, thanks, Sage. I'll let you clean up this collection of posts if you'd like, seeing as they don't really have much to do with Ed.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  09:52:39  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Question regarding Halaster's apprentices: In the Grand History, they're all named, but previous material only reveals the fates of five: Muiral, Trobriand, and Arcturia have their own realms in the Underhalls, Jhesiyra was Magister at one point, and Nester (I believe) met an unfortunate but lingering fate with his attempt at lichdom. What became of Marambra Nyghtsteel and Rantantar?

Thanks again to Ed and THO; I promise I won't ask any more questions for a while... at least, I'll try...

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  11:42:47  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
quote:

Yes, thanks, Sage. I'll let you clean up this collection of posts if you'd like, seeing as they don't really have much to do with Ed.

I'm going to continue this off-topicness for a little while longer to say:
Unfortunately, PDF versions of the "Wyrms of the North" only started with Valamaradace, "the Dragon Queen". I have taken the liberty of compiling PDF versions of all the older ones, including Klauth, so PM me anyone that wants them.

While the Klauth article cannot be accessed by IE7—and possibly other browsers and/or versions—the printer-friendly version works at least once you've changed the dnd/article.asp?x=fr/fx20030226wn part to default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20030226a in the URL.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  14:15:34  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

Umm, Christopher, what's the Order of the Blue Fire?
(How have I missed seeing this, in my Realmsian readings?)

The Order of Blue Fire is detailed in the Threats chapter of the FRCG, specifically at pages 264-267. Other mentions of them are sprinkled throughout the published 4E lore. In brief, they are a quasi-religious order of spellscarred whose public aims relate to offering aid to those affected by the Spellplague, increasing knowledge and understanding of Plaguelands, and even encouraging people to intentionally take on spellscars by means of "Scar Pilgrimages." Secretly, natch, their aims are more sinister. Not to mention creepy as all get-out.

I'm still playing a long, long game of catch-up with Realmslore that appeared between the early nineties and this year, so I don't know a lot about who the sharn are, but it looks like the Order has incorporated those ancient beings--now considered "embodiments of the Spellplague"--into their beliefs. I find hints in the lore that the sharn are the ones doing the incorporating though.

This makes me want to do an annotated bibliography of Blue Fire lore as a followup to the Harpers in 1479 scroll I put up yesterday--these guys are pretty interesting.

And now that I've established that this post is at least somewhat on topic...

quote:
Originally posted by Kyree

I'm going to continue this off-topicness for a little while longer to say:
Unfortunately, PDF versions of the "Wyrms of the North" only started with Valamaradace, "the Dragon Queen". I have taken the liberty of compiling PDF versions of all the older ones, including Klauth, so PM me anyone that wants them.

The version of Firefox I use actually has a little button right up next to the search window that automagically converts whatever page you're looking at to a .pdf for you to download. There's probably something similar on most new generation browsers.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  14:52:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Question regarding Halaster's apprentices: In the Grand History, they're all named, but previous material only reveals the fates of five: Muiral, Trobriand, and Arcturia have their own realms in the Underhalls, Jhesiyra was Magister at one point, and Nester (I believe) met an unfortunate but lingering fate with his attempt at lichdom. What became of Marambra Nyghtsteel and Rantantar?

Thanks again to Ed and THO; I promise I won't ask any more questions for a while... at least, I'll try...

While Ed will likely have more... I'll attempt to provide a few extra tidbits:-

Jhesiyra Kestellharp, who left and became Magister, and also, as I recall, popped up in Blackstaff.

Nester, who is now a lich-thing on Level Two of Undermountain.

CoS:W lists Murial and Trobriand as living, and one as being dead; they both have sub-levels described in the second Ruins of Undermountain boxed set [though, as I recall, Trobriand was chased out of his level during Halaster's Harvestide].

Arcturia, who was killed during Halaster's Harvestide.

So that's five of the seven. And, until recently, we didn't even have names for the last two -- that is, until Eric Boyd finished naming them in Expedition to Undermountain. They are Marambra Nyghtsteel and Rantantar. Though, they've yet to receive any significant coverage in the Realmslore.

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Oct 2008 14:52:57
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  17:19:49  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hmm. I'm not so sure Eric Boyd actually named them. I recall the name "Rantantar" turning up on a message (scrap of parchment) that our group of PC adventurers found in Undermountain at a long-ago (mid-Milwaukee era) GenCon play session run by Ed.
(It was one of those cryptic "part of a communication not meant for you, that mentioned some intriguing things" fragments Ed is fond of, and my character didn't find it, so I'm not the player who kept it [yes, even back then we recognized the Realms was special and little keepsakes from Ed were prizes to be treasured].
I've heard Ed and Eric Boyd are friends and confer with each other whilst designing Realms stuff, so I'm thinking Eric got one or both names from The Great Bearded One.
BB

Edited by - Blueblade on 02 Oct 2008 17:24:39
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  17:38:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time I bring you a Realmslore reply from Ed to this September 7th of this year query from Jamallo Kreen: "Well met! Ed, did Szass learn mage tunnel from Larloch, or did he develop it himself? If the latter, would you please give us some insights into how he researched and developed it? Mercy buckets!"
Ed replies:

Neither. Szass Tam learned it from another source. Which source, how, when and where are all NDA-shielded right now. Sorry. (And heh-heh.)

So saith Ed. Who of course can see farther amid the tangles of as-yet-unrevealed Realmslore than all the rest of us. Heh-heh right back at you, big boy.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

PaulBestwick
Seeker

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2008 :  22:50:21  Show Profile Send PaulBestwick a Private Message
THO and Ed, I am back again to ask for more information on the area of the Great Dale. My campaign starts soon and I have an idea to flesh out the labyrinth beneath the Great Barrow. From reading Lost Empires of Faerun, it implies that Nergal and his Family were entombed by Gilgeam within the Labyrinth. I get a feeling that this could well have included a good part of Nergals clergy. I have read that Nergal was teh Untheric god of the underworld, but what else did he/she have as other parts of their portfolio, or even better what cleric domains would be appropriate.

I want to be prepared when my players decide their characters want to start nosing around the Great Barrow

Yours with thanks in advance Paul
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  00:07:01  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Question/inference regarding Khelben Arunsun (both grandfather and grandson):

When the elder Khelben was cloistered in Candlekeep studying Alaundo's prophecies, he apparently encountered warnings of some dire event; was this the Time of Troubles, or the Spellplague? Given that his grandson shipped off to Oerth and the Elder assumed the guise of the Younger at this time, we could infer that the Elder uncovered foreshadowing of both events, and sent his grandson offworld to keep him untouched by these happenings. Following that logic, one would think that the Younger would at some point thereafter return to Toril... say, in the upcoming Year of the Star Walker's Return (1490 DR)? Just a thought...

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  00:34:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oooh, Jakk, I was WONDERING when someone would notice that, and put two and two together to reach a particular total.
I did, some years back, when reading Steven Schend's Khelben the Younger stuff . . . and when the Spellplague notion first surfaced, I privately asked Ed: "This dovetail fits perfectly with that one; sheer coincidence, or - -?"
Whereupon he smiled and replied: "NDAs are darned annoying things, aren't they?"

Ahem.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  01:06:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Hmm. I'm not so sure Eric Boyd actually named them.
From what I recall, this is what Eric said to me directly when we were discussing the subject of Halaster's seven apprentices some time ago.

Maybe THO can elaborate on this, since Eric's largely inactive here these days.

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Oct 2008 01:08:19
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  01:44:52  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Oooh, Jakk, I was WONDERING when someone would notice that, and put two and two together to reach a particular total.
I did, some years back, when reading Steven Schend's Khelben the Younger stuff . . . and when the Spellplague notion first surfaced, I privately asked Ed: "This dovetail fits perfectly with that one; sheer coincidence, or - -?"
Whereupon he smiled and replied: "NDAs are darned annoying things, aren't they?"

Ahem.
love,
THO

I do love it when I'm right.

And that's the second time I've been right in a hypothesis lately. Either I'm lucky, or I do know the Realms as well as I think I do.

THO: Not to pester, but just wondering if there will be any more information forthcoming on the mythal cities as per my earlier request. While I'm waiting, I'll give you one more hypothesis that was touched on earlier but not expressly stated:

The line in the old FRCS grey box: "Smashed the black star! Dove! Dove!" ... I assume this refers to the attack by Dove and Storm on the Shadow Weave bubble surrounding Shadowdale. Am I 3-for-3?

On that note, are the fates of Dove and Storm still NDA at this time?

Thanks again for Ed's and your time answering our queries, and continued best wishes for Ed in all he's dealing with.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  02:38:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Jakk, Ed will say more re. the mythal cities when he can get to that request. As you can probably tell, looking back over the recent pages of this year's thread, Ed is pouncing on questions right away when he has the answer at his fingertips or answering won't bollux up some NDA or Realms designing or writing someone else is right in the middle of, and the rest of the queries are going on the pile.
As for your other queries: what's behind "Smashed the black star!" was revealed here in this thread by George Krashos, after recent events (publication of the Spellplague) made it timely to reveal some of his earlier private e-mail exchanges with Ed. It's not quite what you're surmising it is.
The fates of Dove and Storm are both still NDA at this time, I'm afraid. All Ed will tell me (though I suspect from his smiles that my conjectures have been close to the mark) in response to verbal queries of mine on this topic is: "Some people are going to get some future surprises, but others . . . not so much."
Ed promises he'll be more specific as soon as he can.
love,
THO
P.S. Sage, "Rantantar" is definitely a long-standing Ed Realms name, but that doesn't of course mean he named the last two apprentices rather than Eric doing so. I've sent Blueblade's post and yours along to Ed for the definitive word, of course. Perhaps Eric picked names from one of Ed's little "here are some Realmsian names for you to use" lists (which he was famous for, in the old days of players wanting his input on naming their characters).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  02:52:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

P.S. Sage, "Rantantar" is definitely a long-standing Ed Realms name, but that doesn't of course mean he named the last two apprentices rather than Eric doing so.
Thanks. I'm keen to see what Ed will say.
quote:
I've sent Blueblade's post and yours along to Ed for the definitive word, of course. Perhaps Eric picked names from one of Ed's little "here are some Realmsian names for you to use" lists (which he was famous for, in the old days of players wanting his input on naming their characters).
I'm thinking that's likely the case, since Ed has previously said that some authors/designers like to draw from his "pool of Realmsian names" on occasion, and then further define the character/s and relate them to existing Realmslore.

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  06:38:47  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by The SageI'm thinking that's likely the case, since Ed has previously said that some authors/designers like to draw from his "pool of Realmsian names" on occasion, and then further define the character/s and relate them to existing Realmslore.

Ooh, what I wouldn't do to get my hands on that pool of names!

Name lists are a wonderful resource for DMs. Especially since they make the world feel more consistent.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2008 :  09:21:56  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

The version of Firefox I use actually has a little button right up next to the search window that automagically converts whatever page you're looking at to a .pdf for you to download. There's probably something similar on most new generation browsers.

Malagard! I've been replaced by a clockwork-golem. Time to resign my post as scribe and put in motion my plans to monopolise the last remaining qahwa in the Realms.

Back, semi-on-topic—if perhaps already belated—but Ed and family, you are in my prayers. I almost missed the bad news, and then the oppurtunity to respond to it. Now at least I have. *slinks off feeling less guilty*

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000