Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  05:47:43  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, everyone. I just received this message from Ed:

Zandilar, whatever you prefer. I have found your livejournal on my surfing, and can readily read it there if you’d like, or we can use the long-suffering Ham’s e-mail route, via THO. If you’re not quite ready to let my eyeballs roll over it, that’s okay. No worries; let it be at your convenience, please, so you don’t feel any pressure to rush and “get it ready” or feel you’re plunging into some sort of royal command performance. Whenever, really.

Well I just put it up on Goddess Musing. It's the latest entry, the story title is Blood and Snow.

It was pretty much finished when I mentioned it. But I'm still nervous about showing it off... I always am when it comes to my writing!

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  06:22:16  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:

Today, for instance, I listened to cuts from Feist, Barenaked Ladies...

That's a coincidence. I enjoy looking at barenaked l... ehr... never mind.

quote:
, the Shakespeare In Love movie soundtrack, the Kipper Family, the Doctor Who Series One and Two Soundtrack (latest BBC TV incarnation, that is

Catchy tune, eh? I believe there is a new variation in the year 3 series. The last Chrismas Special had it (though I missed the soundtrack on that episode).

Gomez,
suddenly imagining Daleks invading Cormyr...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  06:22:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

...the Doctor Who Series One and Two Soundtrack (latest BBC TV incarnation, that is)
They really are such grand works. I've been suitably impressed with the depth Murray Gold has managed to achieve with his compositions for the new series.
quote:
....the Lord of the Rings Return of the King movie soundtrack (anyone know if the symphony that Howard Shore condensed out of all of his soundtracks has been released on CD yet?)
I'm not entirely sure. The last I heard... this was still in the production stages.
quote:
What Ed failed to mention is how often he sings around the house (and sings very well, too!). G & S, mostly, these days.
love to all,
THO
Any particular G&S favorites?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  14:19:47  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
First post. Anyway, I've got a few questions to add to the pile (which, hopefully, aren't covered by NDAs, or have already been answered previously).

1) I was skimming through Volo's Guides, coming across the World Serpent inn, and since the group might be running into it rather soon (the way things are going) in the current storyline I'm pursuing, I've got a question or two about the place. Mitchifer basically seems to be an avatar of a god, or at least a demipower in service to a higher deity - is there any chance of finding out just which one he is? At the moment, the "congress with new and interesting beings" sounds suspiciously like knowledge to me, which would put under the domain of Oghma. Second, have you ever detailed it (the inn) more extensively elsewhere, and if so, tidbits, factoids, and other things about the place that the Guide doesn't cover would be most appreciated.

2) To move away from magical, extra-planar inns and taverns (which I'm somewhat fascinated by, and any hints or tales about similar inns and the like elsewhere in the Realms would be fun to hear about), a question that jumps to court life in Cormyr. Festivities, "royal balls", and so on. What sort of clothing are the royals and the like often found wearing? For example, Swords of Dragonfire gave a basic idea of Azoun and Filfaeril, but what are Tanalasta and Alusair likely to wear, for example? I sort of see Tanalasta as being the kind to wear a dress, but Alusair isn't one who strikes me at first glance as agreeing to wear one unless the world would fall apart if she didn't.

3) Magecraft in Cormyr, or, more specifically, magefairs. If one was to be held within the borders of the realm, exactly how would Vangey and the War Wizards react? It's something of a rather large gathering of power, which could threaten Cormyr's stability, but on the other hand, the mages attending tend to be largely peaceful... at least while the magefair is in process. Are the War Wizards and Vangey likely to stake out the gathering, or pretend it isn't there? Or some mix of the two?

4) Again on magefairs, how regularly do "higher-up mages" show their faces? For example, we see Elminster visiting one, but how often is he (and others like him, be they Chosen, or Archwizards in general) known to attend? Elminster does mention that he "hasn't been to one in years", but to him, "years" might be a century. Secrets of the Magister tends to show that the Magister is likely to avoid the gathering, too, for obvious reasons - is this something that tends to be echoed among archwizards (young ones stealing secrets or hoping to jumpstart a career with defeating an established caster, after all), or are they more open? At least, open enough to have a look around, confer with mages at the fair that they haven't seen in a while, and so on? Or is it more a mix of the two? They'd naturally conjure up disguises for themselves, of course (and hope that an enemy doesn't figure out that they're not who they pretend to be).

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  15:47:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar
Anyway, I wouldn't be looking towards Alusair becoming a demigoddess any time soon (no matter how much the idea appeals!). They're simplifying the gods list, demoting some, merging a few, and killing others - most of the lesser powers and demigods look as if they are being demoted to saint/legendary hero status - losing their churches and worshipers into the bargain (they'll be attached to other more powerful deity's churches, and those more powerful deities will be the one accepting the worship and granting spells). So I don't think they're really considering any new deities.

Well, Rich *did* mention that we can expect to see some new deities in the FR (although probably not many).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  17:30:58  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Hello again Ed. Adding to the pile here.

Is it possible to get details on the wedding ceremonies for Siamorphe? Thanks in advance, and for all the Realmslore you supply despite being seriously busy!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  17:36:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Okay, since I had no replies in my thread about this, I guess I've got to add another question to my own queue...

Most of what we know about the Royal Mages comes from Cormyr: A Novel. I've not read this one in years, and I have yet to replace it -- so if there is more info in there, I can't check.

We do have this info, that I snagged from some prior post by Garen Thal (aka, Mr. Cormyr ).

quote:
Cormyr: A Novel provides a fairly complete succession of Royal Magicians in Cormyr. Although it doesn't give exact dates of change in power, it does show all the Mages Royal, in order, with most dealing with their predecessors in some way.

There is really only one dates missing from the succession below: the change from Thanderahast to Jorunhast. All the other information is readily available in the novel or from other official sources. While I can't reveal the exact date or circumstances of Jorunhast's ascension to his position, careful reading of C:AN will narrow the date down to somewhere between 1018DR (where he is apprentice to Thanderahast) and 1188DR (when he is already Mage Royal for some time). More detail, however, I can't provide.

Baerauble Etharr (26DR to 429DR)
Amedahast (429DR to 629DR)
Thanderahast (629DR to ???)
Jorunhast the Kingslayer (??? to 1286DR)
-Interregnum- [1286DR to 1306DR]
Vangerdahast Aiulvana (1306DR to 1371DR)
Caladnei (1371DR to ---)

What I'm wondering about is other Dahast descendents. As I recall, we never had mention of any of them other than the Royal Mages. And even though there's been less than a double handful over the last 13 and a half centuries, it still seems likely that at least one of them would have had more than one child.

So, are there any non-Royal Mage Dahasts out there, and if there are, can you tell us about them?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  17:47:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

First post. Anyway, I've got a few questions to add to the pile (which, hopefully, aren't covered by NDAs, or have already been answered previously).

1) I was skimming through Volo's Guides, coming across the World Serpent inn, and since the group might be running into it rather soon (the way things are going) in the current storyline I'm pursuing, I've got a question or two about the place. Mitchifer basically seems to be an avatar of a god, or at least a demipower in service to a higher deity - is there any chance of finding out just which one he is? At the moment, the "congress with new and interesting beings" sounds suspiciously like knowledge to me, which would put under the domain of Oghma. Second, have you ever detailed it (the inn) more extensively elsewhere, and if so, tidbits, factoids, and other things about the place that the Guide doesn't cover would be most appreciated.

I believe the World Serpent Inn was first described in OP1 Tales of the Outer Planes, an adventure anthology from 1st Edition. It's been a while since I perused that one, but I don't recall much info on the inn itself -- it was described, but served mostly as a vehicle for the adventure. You can see a pic of the book and read the back cover blurb here.

I've bought the book from eBay twice now; I don't recall it being pricy or difficult to lay hands on.

The Inn was also covered as a web enhancement for the 3.x Manual of the Planes. You can download the pdf from this page.

The web enhancement doesn't give any hard info on Mitchifer, either. He's basically a mystery of the planes, and is likely left vague to allow the DMs to use him as they will.

Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  18:30:53  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I believe the World Serpent Inn was first described in OP1 Tales of the Outer Planes, an adventure anthology from 1st Edition. It's been a while since I perused that one, but I don't recall much info on the inn itself -- it was described, but served mostly as a vehicle for the adventure. You can see a pic of the book and read the back cover blurb here.

I've bought the book from eBay twice now; I don't recall it being pricy or difficult to lay hands on.

The Inn was also covered as a web enhancement for the 3.x Manual of the Planes. You can download the pdf from this page.

The web enhancement doesn't give any hard info on Mitchifer, either. He's basically a mystery of the planes, and is likely left vague to allow the DMs to use him as they will.

The World Serpent Inn and it's many interconnected gates to other worlds was covered in one of the final issues of Dragon Magazine iirc.

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 24 Jan 2008 18:33:09
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  19:03:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

The World Serpent Inn and it's many interconnected gates to other worlds was covered in one of the final issues of Dragon Magazine iirc.

Ah, I forgot about that one... A lot has happened since that issue came out! The issue is 351, according to the DragonDex.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  19:30:47  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Magecraft in Cormyr, or, more specifically, magefairs. If one was to be held within the borders of the realm, exactly how would Vangey and the War Wizards react?

That is an excellent question, nice first post! I would be interested in hearing more views on this one.

Re your question about Archwizards attending: I think yes they would, but unless completely mad or very very very powerful, they would attend in disguise and probably only briefly, to purchase the specific spell component they need; make/renew/investigate a 'deal' with other wizards; pass on some 'lost lore' (to tempt lesser wizards into death traps from which they can gather up their magic/to test lesser wizards and take them as an apprentice if they survive); or generally act rather silly and stupid for a few hours changing shape, gossiping, drinking and fireball flinging, before going back to court and becoming Laspe....errrr a wizard in the service of a King

Just my thoughts

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 24 Jan 2008 19:31:44
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  21:20:39  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed I assume that sentient magic items fall into select categories, items that know they were once living creatures, items that don't know they were once living beings and items that are coded to believe they are alive. Could you elaborate on this and if any of these groups can go insane from boredom, confinement in tomb or bottom of ocean or having disruptive magics cast on it to alter it's original purpose. Do they actually have the capacity for emotions or is this a false imprint given to help create a personality. What about the passage of time, does an item view times in hours and days or some other type of cycle to help stave off the possible long years of inactivity? Any bit of knowledge on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  21:41:56  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

@Eldacar - Alusair wears a dress in Swords of Dragonfire... For a short time... It's when she's demanding a certain person forgive a transgression of a certain other person... To be intentionally vague to avoid spoilers.

@Rin - I don't know how that makes me feel. If they do introduce new gods in 4th Ed FR, it would be like a slap in the face to all those people who lost favorites or had their favorites act like idiots.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
So, are there any non-Royal Mage Dahasts out there, and if there are, can you tell us about them?

We know of at least one... Is introduced in Elminster's Daughter, and that's all we know. No mention of that one in any further text, though, I suspect it will end up a footnote in history. (Yes, I'm talking about Myrmeen Lhal's child by Vangerdahast.)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  22:54:45  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:

Heya,

We know of at least one... Is introduced in [i]Elminster's Daughter

Spoiler perhaps required?

Zan some folks might not have read this book yet and it is a major development at the end. For instance I have not yet read book 2 and have had to not read the very interesting discussion about the gay couple! that a certain someone started

Thanks

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  01:09:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone! I bring yet another Realmslore reply from Ed, this one to Question 4 of Asgetrion’s recent list of unrelated Realms queries: “Is it more typical for urban inns to have a stable and/or coach house than not? Or do they just tell you that "Ol' Tharrask's stables lie yonder, just two blocks away along the Mistride"? And, are inns typically/usually built within a "compound" (i.e. with walls surrounding the inn grounds)?”
Ed replies:

Urban inns do have stable AND coach house facilities of their own, most of the time. What they may not have is stables and a coach house directly adjacent to the inn proper; they may have staff who take mounts, coaches, wagons, and beasts of burden “around the block” to this other site, and bring them back again when guests are departing (just as some real-world urban hotels do, for example in downtown Chicago).
Directly onsite stables and coach houses (with a “yard” for loading, unloading, hitching up, and getting “parties” in order before departing) are preferred, of course, and managed whenever possible. Sometimes, however, it’s just not possible. That same comment applies to compounds: in urban areas, no matter how desirable it may be to have walls and cut down on thefts, it’s sometimes not possible. Rural inns of course avoid this expense whenever it’s not deemed necessary, but very much take refuge in at least a stout timber “stockade” of walls where it is (e.g. most of the North).
In urban Amn, Tethyr, and Calimshan, the fashion is to have the outer walls of an inn compound be composed of inn accommodations (of three to six floors), facing onto an inner courtyard, rather than just walls surrounding buildings. There are seldom ground-floor outmost-side windows or doors in such structures, and almost never any balconies on the floor above, either. Which is why the most expensive inns relegate kitchens, pantries, granaries, servants’ quarters, stables, hay-pens, coach-houses, brewhouses, laundries, tenant shops, and workshops to the outer “ring” of buildings, put in an inner ring of greenery (trees or gardens, depending on space available), and then build mansions with balconies facing the greenery for actual guest accommodations. Or, lacking space for all that, go for a soaring “castle” construction with the guests lodged above all the “stinking, working” parts of inn life.
Across the Realms, travelers will find many variations on mixing the two styles (walls around buildings, or buildings built so as to form an unbroken wall around a courtyard accessed through a gate or tunnel through a building).

So saith Ed, who (as has been said before, a time or two) thinks of everything. Really.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  01:20:07  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Odd question.

Ed, how common are Deities mating with mortals? Furthermore, how common are the offspring of such unions? Are they, in your opinion, 0-Level Deities or more like Half-Fiends/Celestials or Aasimarr and Tieflings?

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  01:50:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
One answer from me, and one from Ed, to share with everyone:

Sage, re. your G&S query, I recall Ed most often warbling “We Sail The Ocean Blue” and “Things Are Seldom What They Seem” and “He Is An Englishman!” and even (yes!) “I’m Called Little Buttercup” from Pinafore, “A More Humane Mikado Never Did Exist” (aka “The Punishment Fit The Crime”) and “Titwillow” from Mikado, “For The Merriest Fellows Are We” from Gondoliers, “When I First Put This Uniform On” from Patience, and especially “When A Felon’s Not Engaged” and “For I Am A Pirate King” from Pirates of Penzance.

And Wooly, Ed wants you to know that “-ahast” matters are firmly under a big, bold, hearty NDA just now. And possibly for some time to come.

(Sorry. Still, take heart in speculating about just what the very existence of that NDA might mean.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  02:23:47  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers
Zan some folks might not have read this book yet and it is a major development at the end. For instance I have not yet read book 2 and have had to not read the very interesting discussion about the gay couple! that a certain someone started

I'm sorry about that. I figured it was long enough out that spoiler space shouldn't be required. Is there some etiquette as to how old a novel is before spoiler space isn't required?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  02:44:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I'm not sure we've ever really established an "official" time limit for novel SPOILERS here at Candlekeep.

My own personal belief is that 6-to-9 months is usually long enough for singular FR books -- like those in the "Dungeons" series for example. By this time, they've largely been released almost everywhere and read by most Realms fans within that time. However, I'll sometimes stretch that to a year, or even two or three... especially with trilogies since there are many scribes who, like me, usually don't read FR trilogies until ALL the books are released.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  02:46:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Sage, re. your G&S query, I recall Ed most often warbling “We Sail The Ocean Blue” and “Things Are Seldom What They Seem” and “He Is An Englishman!” and even (yes!) “I’m Called Little Buttercup” from Pinafore, “A More Humane Mikado Never Did Exist” (aka “The Punishment Fit The Crime”) and “Titwillow” from Mikado, “For The Merriest Fellows Are We” from Gondoliers, “When I First Put This Uniform On” from Patience, and especially “When A Felon’s Not Engaged” and “For I Am A Pirate King” from Pirates of Penzance.
Wonderful!

Thank you my Lady. It looks like I'll have to brush up on some of my G&S, since there are one or two here that I've never really listened to.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  03:46:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Zandilar, Ed just sent me this, for you:

Thank you.
A VERY enjoyable story. It's a little stark in places (converse but not enough description of faces, rooms, colours, etc.) but my only crit can be boiled down to grammar nitpicks:

“to raiseow” should be: to raise his crossbow

“too forward” rather than “out of line”

“glamored” rather than “glammered”

in the passage “wizard she had worked when” the word “with” is missing

“Nice try, my lord,” is wrong speech for educated Cormyreans (Semoor might use it). “Nicely attempted” would be better.

“So deal with it.” is also too modern in tone. “Pray embrace it.” is the sardonic Cormyrean equivalent.

“Ash had had a chance to add dimensional anchoring to the audience chamber”
This passage is WAY too “game mechanical” (as well as awkward). Why not just: “Ash had done her anchoring by then” ?
(Or: done her work by then
or: done her casting by then)

...That's it. Literally just these few tiny touches. The mysterious assailant with the crossbow, and the identity of the mage who did the dog thing, would be elements that should be explained more deeply if the tales were longer, but I like this tale very much.
Hugs,
Ed

And there you have it!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  04:10:00  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
quote:
@Eldacar - Alusair wears a dress in Swords of Dragonfire... For a short time... It's when she's demanding a certain person forgive a transgression of a certain other person... To be intentionally vague to avoid spoilers.

I think I know which part you're talking about (though I'd have to go have a look at my copy to be certain). Earlier, however, when she's poking around and finds that certain something which makes the War Wizards go you-know-what over her (I think that's vague enough), she seems to be wearing more "mannish" clothes (tunic, breeches, etc.), which may have been a habit that stayed with her as she grew older.

Oh, and to those who found some of the World Serpent Inn bits and pieces, thanks. Now I just need to track those sources down. :)

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  10:55:14  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:

So saith Ed, who (as has been said before, a time or two) thinks of everything. Really.
love,
THO

My thanks for a very insightful answer! :)

As always, Ed had thought of this in more depth than I ever did (so it's very easy to believe that he truly thinks of *everything* :)

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  11:00:18  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Thank you.
A VERY enjoyable story. It's a little stark in places (converse but not enough description of faces, rooms, colours, etc.) but my only crit can be boiled down to grammar nitpicks:

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to read my story. I know you are exceedingly busy, so it really means a lot to me.

Detail is one of my weaknesses, so I'm not really surprised to hear that. I suppose it gets left behind in my rush to actually write the story. When I go over it again, I'll probably put more in.

Thank you also for picking up the grammatical errors. I'll definitely go back and fix them. :)

quote:

“Nice try, my lord,” is wrong speech for educated Cormyreans (Semoor might use it). “Nicely attempted” would be better.

“So deal with it.” is also too modern in tone. “Pray embrace it.” is the sardonic Cormyrean equivalent.

“Ash had had a chance to add dimensional anchoring to the audience chamber”
This passage is WAY too “game mechanical” (as well as awkward). Why not just: “Ash had done her anchoring by then” ?
(Or: done her work by then
or: done her casting by then)

Good tips, I shall definitely take them to heart.

quote:
...That's it. Literally just these few tiny touches. The mysterious assailant with the crossbow, and the identity of the mage who did the dog thing, would be elements that should be explained more deeply if the tales were longer, but I like this tale very much.
Hugs,
Ed

I am glad you did! To be honest, I hadn't worked out exactly who the man with the crossbow was, but I do have a bit more of a story in my head about who Ash's (and her mother's) enemy was, and what they were after (Ash's staff), but not exactly the why... Or why they chose such a cruel punishment for Ash (and why they weren't able to get the staff!). As you can tell, I tend to write from the seat of my pants and let things fall into place as I go - which sometimes leads to nightmares with consistency... It really is a bad habit.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  13:49:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, but for this reader (and I'm sure for Ed, given his comments), you mastered the important thing: you made the characters come alive, they "felt right" to me (as someone who has interacted in-character with Myrmeen Lhal), and it "felt like" the Realms.
When you pull that off, everything else is just little details.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  19:45:53  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

Ah, but for this reader (and I'm sure for Ed, given his comments), you mastered the important thing: you made the characters come alive, they "felt right" to me (as someone who has interacted in-character with Myrmeen Lhal), and it "felt like" the Realms.
When you pull that off, everything else is just little details.
love,
THO

Hear Hear! T'was a nice little slice of the realms for sure.

Thanks for sharing. Makes me wonder where Ed was 9 months before Zan was born

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2008 :  02:08:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
I know this is Ed's scroll, so--bowing and scraping before the God-Emperor of the Realms, as he well deserves!--I wanted to pop in and address something to Zandilar, if there are no objections.

Z,

Bravo. What an amazing exchange with Ed over the last week or two, and I'm so glad you brought up the things you did. I myself am very interested in the subject, and long for the day when we don't have to be so coy and can be honest in our narratives.

I know I have been inspired, at times, in certain aspects of my own writing by your advocacy and analysis on these boards.

Keep up the good work!*

*And that includes your slash fiction, which was a treat.

Also, this comment...
quote:

About the only clearly lesbian couple in the Realms is Yanseldara and Vaerana Hawklin - and even then, as you probably recall, there was some argument over the term "consort".

(It probably comes as no surprise that when I find Zandilar taken on a given website/forum, I use Yanseldara as my screen name - my main character in World of Warcraft is called Yanseldara.)

...made me particularly proud of that one little word in my Realms of the Elves story, found on p. 146.

And on that subject:
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

I was disappointed that there was only a short mention of them and no more details! I actually was interested in sending my player characters there just because of the happy couple!

Aside from the aforementioned cameo, Y & V appear in the Veiled Dragon Harpers novel. And if I'm not mistaken, Elversult is the setting of Temple Hill, aye?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2008 :  03:33:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
And if I'm not mistaken, Elversult is the setting of Temple Hill, aye?

Cheers

It is. And Vaerana makes an appearance therein.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2008 :  22:58:25  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
Bravo. What an amazing exchange with Ed over the last week or two, and I'm so glad you brought up the things you did. I myself am very interested in the subject, and long for the day when we don't have to be so coy and can be honest in our narratives.

I know I have been inspired, at times, in certain aspects of my own writing by your advocacy and analysis on these boards.

Keep up the good work!*

*And that includes your slash fiction, which was a treat.

Ah... Thanks.

quote:

Also, this comment...

<snip my own comment>

...made me particularly proud of that one little word in my Realms of the Elves story, found on p. 146.

When I read the story, I smiled at that (and probably muttered something like "about bloody time!"). It finally put the word "consort" from the FRCS entry for Elversult into its proper context.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

Edited by - Zandilar on 26 Jan 2008 23:24:57
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2008 :  01:35:42  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Hey Ed, Sir Gareth the King of Damara was supporting the buying of Goblin ears in The Sellswords by Bob Salvatore. This has lead to some controversy at my table. It's inclination that Sir Gareth's treatment of the humanoids in the land of Vaasa is pretty much the equivalent of ethnic cleansing and he's become a Fallen Paladin that's LN despite the fact he's otherwise a nice guy (and might be working towards LE because of his racism).

My players are suspecting that King Gareth may be just ignorant of what bounty hunters and so on are doing in his name.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000