Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2008 :  02:27:51  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Yeah, I'll believe that one when I see the movie, and not before. In the meantime, I have (yep) another Realmslore question, or rather bunch of related questions.
I'm a traveler, and I rip the seat of my breeches, ny clout, and the back of my cloak all at once, on one branch, falling in the woods. So, in the next town, when I take rooms at an inn for the night, how would I find a seamstress to do repairs? Do the staff at most inns attempt stuff like this (I just want things sewn up, I don't care how it looks)? Would they have old clothes for sale? New ones? (Again, not caring about style or color, but: any cloaks? any clouts? Breeches of most sizes?
And if not, but there are shops in town, how late would they stay open/early would they open in the morning? If the proprietors or their workers happen to be eating in the inn and I offer extra coin for them to open and let me buy, would they be likely to oblige?
I'm talking the Realms of pre-Spellplague, Dalelands and upland Sembia and Elturel and area, too, not during wartime or around the time of an orc horde or during a banditry flareup; just "business as usual" times.
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2008 :  07:09:42  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Are Manthol-Derith and the Twilight Traders Greenwood creations and if yes can you share any info on either?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2008 :  15:06:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
No, createvmind, I'm afraid they're not Ed creations.
Broken Helm, there are frequent "expressions of interest" about many of Ed's creations from various television, feature film, and console or computer game makers. If they are Realms-related, Ed often doesn't even hear about them until after the fact (thanks to the increasingly poor communications between Wizards' and now Hasbro's licensing people and Ed as the original creator (Hasbro tends to handle its properties in a certain way, ignoring [or being unaware of] the details of the original Realms agreement re. "keeping Ed in the loop" at all times). For non-Realms Ed creations, Ed is of course informed right away (usually because the interested parties contact him directly). I am aware of four recent such contacts, but I'm not aware of any going on "right now." (There's no reason why I would, of course.)
The majority of such plans, all across the entertainment industry, never make it to a final product, for a huge variety of reasons. The majority of "adaptations" of written works aren't very close to the original. And thanks to "Hollywood accounting," the majority of movie adaptations make the creator of the original written work surprisingly little money. As another writer once put it: "I got enough money to repair my porch, not buy a new house."
Both professional courtesy (and, if a deal is reached, often clauses in the actual contract) keep Ed from speaking freely about any of these negotiations. So even if there was a deal actually moving forward as I post this, Ed probably couldn't talk much about it. I would caution all scribes not to interpret his silence as meaning there IS a deal, because if there was no deal, he's still have, yes, nothing to say about that non-existent deal.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2008 :  15:42:13  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
you gotta love NDAs

or love to HATE them

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2008 :  17:14:18  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message
My apologies for asking this, but...

I asked a question of Mister Greenwood a couple of months back on this list, and have yet to relocate it. Does anyone know if he was able to get to it yet, and if so, where the answer is?

Thanks muchly for any help.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  00:32:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

My apologies for asking this, but...

I asked a question of Mister Greenwood a couple of months back on this list, and have yet to relocate it. Does anyone know if he was able to get to it yet, and if so, where the answer is?

Thanks muchly for any help.

Do you remember what your question was about? If so, it'll make it easier for me to check through the archives.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  15:53:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time, Ed makes reply to The Red Walker’s query re. a good possible family trip, as follows:

Well met again, Red Walker! This is a GREAT question, and the first thing I’m going to say is: don’t be swayed by me; listen to your heart and longings (and those of your loved ones) first and foremost. From what you replied to THO, if I were in your shoes, I’d be jumping on the plane to England right away - - but that’s ME. :}
Let me state my case a little more fully. :} London alone is packed with years of potential exploration, from the Tower of London to the London Museum to seeing Harrods to the Victoria & Albert to some superb gaming shops to the British Museum to Highgate Cemetery to St. Paul’s to . . . (well, I could go on for literally PAGES, and not knowing exactly what would grab you most, many of my suggestions might be a little off-base; what I mean to communicate is that there’s a HUGE variety of things to see and do). In the case of your family research, it’s also home to the National Archives, which took over from Somerset House in keeping all the genealogical records.
There are also three money-saving wrinkles available to North Americans (unless my information is out of date), the first two of which aren’t available to locals. These first two are the Britrail Pass and the London Transport Go-As-You-Please pass. Both of these work as follows: you can only buy them as a tourist IN THE USA (or Canada), before you hop the Atlantic (I’m not current on whether they’re only available at consulates or embassies, or if you can still get them at travel agencies [there was talk of “tightening up” in the wake of 9/11]). They entitle you to a number of days of “hop on any train outside of London, and any tube or bus or tram inside London” use, being stamped the first time you use them, and with your clock running from then on (I believe my last Britrail Pass lasted 14 days, and my LT ran for 12 days). So if you miss a train or decide to stay later, so what? (Assuming, ahem, you don’t miss the LAST train of the day.)
The third wrinkle is the Hospitality Trust.
Most vacationers have heard of The National Trust, which is the organization that owns and maintains stately homes, gardens, and other historical or tourist sites (and Web searching from home, using their site and others, can pack your days with potential sites of visit.
The Hospitality Trust, on the other hand, is an organization that maintains houses, flats (apartments) and cottages for short-term rentals (i.e. a week or several weeks). So you can live, sleep, and do your own cooking in one of these places, using it as a “home base,” and make day trips from it; if it’s well-located, car rentals (and driving on the left-hand side of the road on often very narrow streets with roundabouts and perennial parking problems) can be kept to a minimum. The kicker is, of course, booking far enough in advance, but your wise lead time leaves you perfectly positioned to do that. (Look them up on the Net, too.)
For a lot of the “nitty-gritty” of enjoying vacations in England, hit your local library for a copy of (or an interloan from another library) of MY LOVE AFFAIR WITH ENGLAND or ENGLAND FOR ALL SEASONS or one of the other good “my tips for trips to England or experiences there” books by Susan Allan Toth, who covers many of the everyday problems (how electrical “points” work a little differently than North American domestic juice, how to turn on gas, washing up and laundry, packing tips, etc. etc.)
There’s an Automobile Association (AA) in the UK as well as the USA, they publish many large-scale maps, and even better they publish endless “walking trips” books, some of them VERY detailed (“go over this stile beside the large oak, not that stile;” my older ones have painted “scenes” of their suggested walking routes), that again you can get from your local library (or interloan from larger libraries, through your local library).
London dominates the transportation system in England far more than any American city dominates in the USA (an “up” train is towards London, and a “down” is away), so use of those passes I mentioned earlier allow you to make easy day trips out from London to such places as Hampton Court (palace), Oxford and Abingdon (the colleges and the Bodleian and the “atmosphere,” medieval alms houses), Wimbledon or Ascot if you’re interested, and some beautiful Home County rural areas, too. A few hours on the train can get you to Cornwall (and LOTS of beaches; Dawlish is a nice smaller center) or the Lake District or the city of York (where you can meet at a pub and go on a REAL ghost walk, that leaves many similar ghost walks in the dust) . . . and then, of course, there are the many, many stately homes (Hatfield House, just to name one, is within very quick and easy reach of London) and historical sites (Roman ruins at St. Alban’s) and you can also take bus trips (e.g. to the New Forest) that do the “dump you here, you have the day to do what you want, pickup is right there at X o’clock this evening” thing. Roughing it is actually harder in densely-populated England than in North America, unless you deliberately set out to do so (i.e. walking the fells, or going out to Exmoor or Dartmoor).
Hint: it’s going to be damper, and often cooler, than your tropical trip; take layers of clothing and stuff you can easily dry, so you can change socks often and keep warm, dry, and refreshed.
Ah, so much to cover . . .
I also love both Australia and New Zealand, but either one of them is a longer and more expensive trip with (probably) more traveling over longer distances, once you get there, and my trips to Ireland were made too long ago (when I was much younger) for me to pass on much still-accurate advice.
Thanks for asking me, and I hope I’ve been of some small help. (If I were wealthy, I’d visit London for a three or four-day stretch, about every two or three months, for the rest of my life.)

So saith Ed. Who as you can tell, loves the green and pleasant sceptered isle fondly. As do I.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  16:29:16  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message
Hello THO and Ed,

In an above post, she mentioned that Hasbro was not aware that they had to keep Ed "in the loop" on all things Realms as per the original agreement of the sale of the Realms to TSR. Has this been remedied?

Thanks,
Hawkins

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  16:31:18  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message
As an aside to this sage advice, there's probably enough of us Candlekeepers about who live in various parts of the Sceptered Isles who would be more than happy to assist other Candlekeepers with advice and more, should you come over to this side of the pond.
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  16:50:20  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
This is a question that probably has been asked before (by me), but I have seen no answer.

I found in the Fall of Myth Drannor that Syrumstar Auglamyr was last seen at the Battle of Shadusk's Glade, where she was last seen exploding with Malimshaer. Malimshaer's seared skull and ribcage fell at Captain's Selorn's feet. No remains of Syrumstar were ever found, but Captain Selorn found that he held her Choker in his hand at the end, and she had sworn it would leave her only at her death.
So my new question is, why were there no remains of Syrumstar? Was she totally consumed by the fire, leaving only ahes that were swept away in the wind? Or did she survive and go somewhere else? If so, why did she leave her Choker?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  17:05:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I also love both Australia and New Zealand, but either one of them is a longer and more expensive trip with (probably) more traveling over longer distances, once you get there,...
Still, we'd love to have you here again. And if you bring the Lady Hooded One, well... she can stay at my place. And you as well. The Lady K won't mind.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  18:44:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I also love both Australia and New Zealand, but either one of them is a longer and more expensive trip with (probably) more traveling over longer distances, once you get there,...
Still, we'd love to have you here again. And if you bring the Lady Hooded One, well... she can stay at my place. And you as well. The Lady K won't mind.

I'll take you up on that offer, actually, if we get to go to Ningoloo Reef.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  19:20:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
You might want to go ask Steven for an answer to this. And I also have the feeling that Ed might say the same, since Steven is the one who has answered most of our questions about Syrumster and Steven also wrote the Fall of MD. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

This is a question that probably has been asked before (by me), but I have seen no answer.

I found in the Fall of Myth Drannor that Syrumstar Auglamyr was last seen at the Battle of Shadusk's Glade, where she was last seen exploding with Malimshaer. Malimshaer's seared skull and ribcage fell at Captain's Selorn's feet. No remains of Syrumstar were ever found, but Captain Selorn found that he held her Choker in his hand at the end, and she had sworn it would leave her only at her death.
So my new question is, why were there no remains of Syrumstar? Was she totally consumed by the fire, leaving only ahes that were swept away in the wind? Or did she survive and go somewhere else? If so, why did she leave her Choker?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2008 :  01:04:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

You might want to go ask Steven for an answer to this. And I also have the feeling that Ed might say the same, since Steven is the one who has answered most of our questions about Syrumster and Steven also wrote the Fall of MD. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

And I'll just note Menelvagor already asked Ed this particular question, back on the 1 September. Though, he hasn't had an answer yet. But there's no need to re-post your question Menelvagor. Ed will get to it when he's able. And if you'll note the replies from both Kuje and I earlier, in response to your query, we offered some information that you may find useful.

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Sep 2008 01:05:37
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2008 :  01:08:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Well, it'd be the first time for both of us then, because I've never actually been to the Reef.

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2008 :  04:42:26  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:

quote:

*chuckles* Well Ed would be quite welcome in my home if he ever makes it down to Melbourne. (We did try to get up to Brisbane the last time you were here, Ed, but unfortunately time and finances were firmly against us ).

I'd also be happy to help any scribes if they happen to make a trip down here to SE mainland Australia, though I suppose I'd only really be helpful with Victoria and Melbourne.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2008 :  05:59:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Yeah, Victorians are like that ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2008 :  07:11:30  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
I'm sorry about that, but I planned to post it as a question to Steven, and didn't notice I posted it here instead until now.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2008 :  15:03:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Well, it'd be the first time for both of us then, because I've never actually been to the Reef.

All the more reason to go!

I'll go anywhere in Australia, although I have to admit the Great Barrier Reef is first on my list (*after* I learn how to scuba dive!). All right, now back to topic.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2008 :  15:30:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time I bring a reply of sorts from Ed of the Greenwood to Menelvagor, re. this query: “This is a question that probably has been asked before (by me), but I have seen no answer.
So my new question is, why were there no remains of Syrumstar? Was she totally consumed by the fire, leaving only ahes that were swept away in the wind? Or did she survive and go somewhere else? If so, why did she leave her Choker?”
Ed replies:

Hi, Menelvagor. Well, I can’t say much about this because the official WotC position on Syrumstar Auglamyr at the moment is that she is NDA.
Which itself should tell you something, yes?

So saith Ed. Who (I'm explaining because Menelvagor is newer to the Keep than some scribes who’ve seen such responses from Ed before) is implying that some future publication plans on someone’s part for Syrumstar Auglamyr exist.
Love to all,
THO
P.S. Ah, the Reef. Ed’s been once, I think, and I’ve been many times. I love Melbourne, but have only passed through Victoria briefly.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 12 Sep 2008 15:34:27
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2008 :  15:39:37  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
My lady, you are perfectly right. I am young, brash, hasty, and new to these Forums. I am also new to this kind of of responses. While having experience of some three years in the Dragonlance Forums, that world is much smaller, and Authors usually stick with their story lines, so they can say what's hapenning, and give clear answers.
I am not trying to criticise this Forum, of course. It has already been amazingly helpful, and I shall continue to come here. I am just asking of people to be patient with me, as I have an incredible thirst for knowledge, and want to always know more. I try to read at least 4 books a week, and they are my constant companions.

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2008 :  15:40:44  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hello! I have (surprise!) another Realmslore question for Ed.
O Creator, what effects do you see the Spellplague having on the "tech culture" of devout worshipers of Gond? As in, what state is it in, when the hundred year jump has been made? I can infer what has happened to the church and priests, I'm more interested here in whether there's still, among some small pockets or amounts of the populace, an exciting "invention caps invention" time, like the real-world Renaissance?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2008 :  15:44:14  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Hi! That OOTS 20-lb. tub dialogue in Menelvagor's sig put me in mind of a question I keep forgetting to ask Ed: are there any (or many) foods in the Realms that incorporate a sweet "icing"? If so, how much is this a feature of urban sophistication, as opposed to rural farm fare?
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2008 :  21:39:04  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Spells Stilled, Scribes:

Syrumstar Auglamyr is NDA, and there was no body in
FoMD. SES is right, always look for a body! Death is
not a career ending status in the realms.
Interesting to see what happens.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2008 :  00:55:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Indeed. One of Steven's rules while writing comes from his love of comic books: "If I don't leave a body behind when a character is declared dead, never rule out the possibility that (s)he might be back......"

I love this guy!

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2008 :  06:05:21  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Hello! I have (surprise!) another Realmslore question for Ed.
O Creator, what effects do you see the Spellplague having on the "tech culture" of devout worshipers of Gond? As in, what state is it in, when the hundred year jump has been made? I can infer what has happened to the church and priests, I'm more interested here in whether there's still, among some small pockets or amounts of the populace, an exciting "invention caps invention" time, like the real-world Renaissance?
Thanks!
BB

After looking at the map of the new realms and also reading through the book...i don't see much in the way of Gond's Wonder. Lantan looks like it is wiped clean or some such...and I didn't see much on smoke powder or other such things...even Thay's Naval forces seem to have taken a huge hit and they loved cannon in Thay!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2008 :  15:28:12  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I'm sure you're soon going to become sick of "how has X changed in the 100 years between 3.5 and 4e" questions, and I am NOT trying to rush either of you; I'm expecting to wait until after the Scepter Tower and the FRPG come out. My question is this: how has heraldry changed, from "old" Realms to "new"?
Yes, the Heralds, but I'm more interested in the actual blazonry. Is it closer to our real world, English College of Arms model?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2008 :  15:32:40  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lovely Lady Hooded,
I have always run the Dalelands, the more southerly Savage Coast North, and the lands in between (Iriaebor vicinity, Tunland, etc.) Realms as a place plentiful in game and free-for-forage edible plants, that travellers and homesteaders can readily live on. Is this still ture in the 4e version of the Realms?
Thanks,
BB
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2008 :  15:38:31  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
THO and Ed,
Yes, I have another Realmslore question. Heard your long Origins interview on the Tome, and though it was necessarily "introductory" and light in tone, all sorts of thoughts came to me as I listened.
Locks in the new Realms: elaborate, with easily-obtainable locks that need two or three keys at once, or about the same "tech" level as pre-Spellplague Realms?
How many guilds, costers, and local trade "rules" went away because of Spellplague deaths and the passage of time? Are things generally more "Wild West" about these three things, or is it about the same as the pre-Spellplague Realms?
And, are there any gates/portals linking Returned Abeir with mainland Faerun? (If so, how well known? Guarded? Controlled by whom?)
Whew. I'll stop now, before I really get going.
Thanks in advance for anything you can tell us.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2008 :  15:41:22  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hi again! I'd just like to echo Baleful Avatar's question about guilds. In particular, guilds in Cormyr: how many (if any) and how strong? If there's a guild of roofers in Suzail, do they control all roofing in the city? Or just dominate? (And is it control or domination or less, in any line of work and for any guild?)
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000