Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  21:31:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I, too, have noticed a certain "blandness" to 4e prose, as if Ed's little idea-nuggets, get-you-thinking-hooks and "word pictures" he puts into his Realms game lore sentences were getting "smoothed out." A real pity.
Sorta like having a veteran quarterback and using him as ball boy, to use just one (sports; sorry) analogy.
I believe the real culprit in the FRCS situation (aside from the "do it in a week or so" deadline, over Christmas) was the wordcount: only this many words, and coverage of all topics must fit on 1 page, or a 2-page spread, or multiples of same.
To use another analogy, instead of Ed writing the equivalent of "Here's an interesting state of the United States for you to explore," extreme space constraints forced him into "Here's a line or two about the major places in a state," such as one finds on a travel map prepared by an auto club.
I'm very much hoping that Ed will have the chance to address some of the lack of detail in forthcoming Realmsmore columns. They don't have to be huge screeds, they just need to be long enough to make me "see and feel" a place in my mind.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  21:47:04  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Lady Herald, here is a question straight out of left field , but one I would love Ed's thoughts on(yours as well!)
Early this coming year, My wife, 2 kids and I will have what is with ours jobs, a once in a lifetime chance to take an extended vaction together.
I know this is unlikey , but if Ed had a 7-14 days to go anywhere in the world without any constraints of work or outside influences, where would he go and why?
Why would I ask Ed this? Simple, his love for life and fun are unrivaled by anyone I have ever spoken with and would love to hear what kind of place it would take to spark his imagination to explore and enjoy. We have several ideas, but really want to make it special!(Which it will be with us all there, but I digress)

Thanks for the time in advance Lady Herald and Ed!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  21:48:34  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
-Wow that post about Returned-Abeir is pure win!

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 05 Sep 2008 21:49:50
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  23:28:19  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Spells stilled, Asgetrion:

Indeed, one must be quick to defend one's self when adventuring in the halls
of the Greenwood. Word traps everwhere, tantilating sirens waiting to latch on
to your.... soul (yeah, that's it, soul), Sembian merchants waiting to undercut your melon revenue, and WATER hazards everwhere. That's why the greeting of mine to neutral parties. In addition, I don't think Ed minds whatever polite (and maybe not so polite?) names we use for him. Some are much more creative that me.

So, are the voices in Elminster's head kind of like the voices in your head? All screaming
to get out and waiting to showcase themselves in the Realms in general?

I also recently was looking over 1 ed. Anauroch, and I was wondering if the NDA Wall of Razor
have come down on any of the civilizations and ruins buried under the High Ice?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2008 :  16:22:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Red Walker,
That's a lovely question. To answer it best, though, I and Ed would both like a little more information.
What general ages are your children and how mobile is everyone? Or to put it another way, if Ed or I suggested climbing mountains, exploring flooded caves, or real trackless wilderness "roughing it," would that be horrible?
Are access to shopping and fine restaurants preferred? Swimmers/non-swimmers? Love hot climates/can't handle them?
Do you all want a week to relax together and take it easy, with perhaps some "when we like it, as slow as we like it" day trips or expeditions, or do you want to cram in all you can of travel and sightseeing in ten days?
Is a tight budget part of it, or have you coins to spare?
Are there any places you've been already, that you really liked or really hated?
One of Ed's players really likes exploring castles all over Great Britain (JUST castles, no stately homes need apply), but one of his longtime gaming colleagues just likes to camp, far from people and shops and cars.
See what I'm trying to find out? The last thing Ed or I want to do is lead you astray!
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 06 Sep 2008 16:24:29
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2008 :  19:24:24  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
And so Laerakond joins the multiverse (and one of my Realmsprojects, whose working title is 'Worldwalking').
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2008 :  20:02:26  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

THO you said Tome dragons do exist in faerun, what I would like to know is what a half-dragon humanoids breath weapon and abilities would be with parent being a Tome Dragon?
Any of you learned sages in here can assist if willing.

Also do half-dragons live much longer than other parent race?

Thanks

Edited by - createvmind on 06 Sep 2008 21:07:37
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  04:02:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I present another “handful of brief replies tacked together” post, this time, with Ed handling several queries in no particular order.

First, in reply to this, from Ashe Ravenheart: “THO, Would Ed be interested in having an assistant/indentured servant/slave that would work for mere scraps and could help him in various degrees of searching and cataloging Realmslore? I can send my resume with a bribe, if that would help!”
Ed replies:

Ashe, thanks for your kind intent, but I’m afraid I must decline. I spend much of my time caring for my wife, these days, and sagging (gracefully, I hope) into my declining “gray” years. Don’t get me wrong, I would LOVE to have FORTY assistants (and if they could all be beautiful female humans who don’t like to wear clothing and are rich enough to pay for all my needs, all the better), but when viewing matters in sober real-world consideration mode, there’s a big problem with even the most eager of assistants: I have to direct and explain, and that eats up as much time as doing it myself. It’s the old dilemma faced by the veteran worker: I can either work long hours doing it myself, or spend even more time training and guiding someone else to do it for me. Hmm, which to choose? Well, alone I eat less, can wear less, and can relax and think more - - so for a writer, the “going it alone” usually works best.
Yet thank you very much for your expressed intent. I have had many kind offers in the last few months, and may some day weaken enough to accept one. :}

So saith Ed. Who isn’t done yet, as we turn to this, from Marek: “One more question from my community that is now madly in love with Ed: We would like to know if there are organized cults worshiping dragon deities. We know about some divine intervention of Bahamut/Xymor/Marduk in Mulhorandi but no info about any human worship of them. As far as I know the only described cult is Tiamat's.
Do you have any info concerning this subject?
p.s. a new fellow player wishes to play a cleric of a Dragon god and we're trying to figure out a way to do so. Do you have any suggestion?”
Ed replies:

Yes, there are literally scores of small, local cults in rural areas of the Realms who worship a locally-lairing dragon. Some of the dragons thus venerated are flattered enough (or see enough practical lair-guarding benefits) to repay this worship in some way, usually with an eye to protecting their sleeping selves or gaining wealth for their horde, either by sending devout worshippers out into the wider Realms to seize or steal magic and gems, or by using worshippers to spread tales of the fabulous hoard so as to lure adventurers and others to become food or yield up magic and wealth they may carry.
Certain deities (notably Talos, Malar, and Bane) have taken to granting divine spells to self-styled clergy of a few of these individual dragons, so as to influence cult activities and ultimately those of the wyrm the cult is worshipping. Such dragons can become “secret weapons” to hurl at armies or communities, or to serve as steeds on rare “travel far and fast” emergencies, for a deity’s senior clergy or important personages.
I would have a PC wannabe-dragon-cleric hear of such a dragon god priest immediately after said cleric has been slain or died of sickness or misfortune, or even blunder (with the party) into wounding or slaying such a cleric - - and being forced, on pain of death, to become the replacement (a roving, adventuring one, in penance). More than a little unsubtle DMing technique, but swift and effective (and can become the backbone result of an interesting adventure you can craft, if you have a little more design time to play with).

So saith Ed. Who now moves on to this, from Menelvagor: “Oh! Another question I forgot. Why don't El and The Simbul marry? Why are they content to remain lovers? In fact, all the Chosen I remember (except Laeral&Khelben, and Dove) are unmarrried, even if they have (like Alustriel - 12 sons, I think, and some daughters not mentioned), more than 10 children.”
Ed replies:

Menelvagor, you seem (forgive me if I’m misreading you) to have fallen into the trap of thinking of the Realms in modern real-world terms.
Mystra’s Chosen, whether they may formally marry “in the eyes of mortals” or not, can have children only with Her permission (in any time in the Realms in which Mystra is alive), and can only be happy in any long-term relationship if they have Her blessing for it. They are servants of a greater goddess whose lives are dedicated to her, and although they have a degree of personal independence unknown in senior servitors of most other deities (Lurue, Azuth, and others are exceptions, but that’s because of the essential nature and character of such exceptional deities), serving Mystra and pleasing her with their diligent service is what fulfills them.
So they will only consider themselves married to another being if this pleases Her. They don’t need to find a church, temple, shrine or altar and a mortal priest, unless She deems such fripperies necessary; they ask Her personally to grant and confirm their unions.
And being as we’ve seen only glimpses of the deeds of any of the Chosen, most of whom have lived for centuries and crammed many, many deeds into thbose very long and very full lives, I don’t believe any of us can make any definitive statement at all as to whether any of them are, were, or are still married, other than to note that several of the Seven Sisters DID formally marry, centuries ago in kingdoms they founded or ruled, that have now vanished (and have outlived those spouses).
When you have to request permission from your goddess (and remember, Chosen are among the relatively few intelligent beings in the Realms dedicated to just one deity) to wed, you have no need to approach clergy to hold a wedding service; if the deity wants a service, the clergy will be divinely commanded to perform it, whether it’s a moment of murmured words over joined hands, when all concerned are falling down a cliff together, or a grand ceremony in which Mystra transforms all the buildings in a town into walking statues that move into a path and then become bridal arches.

So saith Ed. Whew. He’s mindful of other outstanding marriage and other religious ceremony lore requests made by various scribes of the Keep, and will get to them, though he remains as busy (and overloaded; you would not BELIEVE all the novel short story, article, column, and game article requests Ed is fielding right now) as ever.
More soon, I believe, and in the meantime:
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  19:42:44  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message
LHO, if I may ask a question of Ed...

This came up in another thread and I guess I should ask it here: is there much of a recycling/scrap industry in Faerun?

I'm loathe to introduce real-world physics into a place like Faerun, and I can imagine that when you have arcane spellcasters effectively able to create material ex nihilo (or just open portals to the Plane of Earth) there is little pressure to reuse materials. However, judging from the frequency of both mines and abandoned mines, it does seem as if mundane origins for industrial and semi-industrial materials are preferred.

Hence are there Faerunian equivalents of Steptoe & Son? And if so, are there any notable characters involved in this trade?
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  22:06:13  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
I certainly can't answer for Ed, but I think that they would probably be of the "rag and bone man" type. Even miserable old scraps of cloth may be pulped to make paper. Wood-based paper was a 19th century invention; I'd like to know if it is used on Toril, or if El passed on the word (perhaps learned from a certain Scribe o' the North) that wood-based paper, while marvelous for cheap distribution of writing, is miserable for long-term storage.

Her name escapes me at the moment (and The Fly is about to begin, so I am not going to look it up), but the shop of the heroine of Thornhold was a used-goods store with a range of stock from just old to genuinely valuable and, in some cases, really magical.

(For those not hep to the jive, "Steptoe and Son" were transmogrified into "Sanford and Son" in the USA.)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 07 Sep 2008 22:08:15
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  22:10:18  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met!

Ed, did Szass learn mage tunnel from Larloch, or did he develop it himself? If the latter, would you please give us some insights into how he researched and developed it? Mercy buckets!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  05:29:50  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Talwyn

quote:
Originally posted by Talwyn

Greetings THO & Ed,

my question to Ed is this:

in a campaign I am involved in, I play a paladin of Torm. Now one of the duties of the faithful of Torm is that they help out all goodly faiths as best they can. My paladin has come across a small shrine of Eilistraee's and it's small number of priestesses and faithful. Of course he didn't detect evil in the shrines residents but it took him a bit of time to overcome his racial prejudice towards drow. He has now installed himself as a defender of the temple and its members as part of the 3 duties as he interprets them.
How would the clergy of the main temple in Tantras, and Torm himself react to this and would they support his decision to defend and aid a non human god and her followers?

I realise that Torm is more often than not set on battling Bane and other great evil deities however I'd have thought he may have taken an interest in seeing one of Faeruns more evil races being turned away from their path of darkness and would at least give some support to Eilistraee.
Also is there any examples of deities of differing races lending their help to each other in recent realms history?

Once again thanks to THO for that piece of lore in repect to Tymora's splendid mammories

Best wishes

Talwyn

I'd like to expand this question on the Tormish religeon if I may.
Since's Torm's return after ToT, it's been noted that he's church has been incresing in popularity through Faerun. Now because Tantras lost many of it's citizens who sacrificed themselves to aid Torm defeat Bane, where did the new priests and paladins come from?
Also, what is *ahem* the missionary position of the church of Torm? Do they activity send out preachers from Tantras to spread the gospel of the True God? Also, if Torm has assumed greater god status by taking over Tyr's portfolio, does that mean the temples that were previously dedicated to Tyr and Helm are now being devoted to Torm? If so, which would be the main temples or seat of the high priest of the faith? Would it still be Tantras or would it be one of Tyr's major temples?

With Torm being a native to Toril who has assumed godhood, does he still frequently walk the realms now he's ascended to greater status?
How is the church of Torm dealing with the massive influx of new follwers and how is it managing this enormous responsibility without falling back into the problems it had during the ToT? And now that Torm has taken over from Helm & Tyr, how has the rest of Faerun reacted to Torm being probably the most powerful of the good deities?

Talwyn

*bump*

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

Pierre-Luc
Acolyte

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  06:12:38  Show Profile Send Pierre-Luc a Private Message
Hello, I'd like to know more about the membership of the "1479 FR" Zhentarim. Any new NPC leaders, except Orbakh ?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  06:51:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
There's no need to "bump" your requests to Ed, Talwyn. The Lady Hooded One remains ever vigilant in her shifting of queries to Ed. He'll get to them eventually.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 08 Sep 2008 06:51:51
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  14:31:17  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
And Albert & Herbert in Sweden.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  14:52:14  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I certainly can't answer for Ed, but I think that they would probably be of the "rag and bone man" type. Even miserable old scraps of cloth may be pulped to make paper. Wood-based paper was a 19th century invention; I'd like to know if it is used on Toril, or if El passed on the word (perhaps learned from a certain Scribe o' the North) that wood-based paper, while marvelous for cheap distribution of writing, is miserable for long-term storage.

Her name escapes me at the moment (and The Fly is about to begin, so I am not going to look it up), but the shop of the heroine of Thornhold was a used-goods store with a range of stock from just old to genuinely valuable and, in some cases, really magical.

(For those not hep to the jive, "Steptoe and Son" were transmogrified into "Sanford and Son" in the USA.)

Her name be Bronwyn, one of my favorite characters brought to life by the lovely Elaine Cunningham!

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  15:41:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. StarBog, I have sent your question on to Ed, who will reply in the fullness of time, of course, but from playing in the Realms I can tell you that there are rag-and-bone men, vellum gets scraped and re-used, smiths often melt down metals (and priests of Gond regularly melt down alloys and separate the metallic components!), and bones get ground up for use in fertilizer. I'm not sure if any of this is thought of as "recycling" so much as it's "just getting by" and making sensible use of what's around. Yet, as always, we'll see . . .
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 08 Sep 2008 15:45:06
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  16:12:02  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Red Walker,
That's a lovely question. To answer it best, though, I and Ed would both like a little more information.
What general ages are your children and how mobile is everyone? Or to put it another way, if Ed or I suggested climbing mountains, exploring flooded caves, or real trackless wilderness "roughing it," would that be horrible?
Are access to shopping and fine restaurants preferred? Swimmers/non-swimmers? Love hot climates/can't handle them?
Do you all want a week to relax together and take it easy, with perhaps some "when we like it, as slow as we like it" day trips or expeditions, or do you want to cram in all you can of travel and sightseeing in ten days?
Is a tight budget part of it, or have you coins to spare?
Are there any places you've been already, that you really liked or really hated?
One of Ed's players really likes exploring castles all over Great Britain (JUST castles, no stately homes need apply), but one of his longtime gaming colleagues just likes to camp, far from people and shops and cars.
See what I'm trying to find out? The last thing Ed or I want to do is lead you astray!
love,
THO

First, Lady thank you for your response and interest.
I just noticed that I was quoting time in my Farmer frame of mind. When I said "Early this coming year", being a farmer I am always thinking a year in advance, what I mean is we will be looking to make arrangements early next year for a trip the following(late winter '09 or early 2010). We want to book well in advance to "stretch our $"
Our children, daughter Marjley(silent j) will be 13 and very mobile! She loves walking trails and climbing hills just like her mother. Our son Tristan will be between 2 and 3 and judging by his progress very mobile as well, while still small enough to lug around any rough spots. I am not big on roughing it, but wife and daughter are, so I can and do on occasion(without complaint)
Shopping while enjoyable is of no importance at all, all we would be wanting to take home would be something "real" that represents the area to us. Fine dining is also enjoyable, but we would much rather be able to immerse ourselves into the culture and eat what the locals eat. Everyone swims well enough to snorkel or just kick it on the beach! I think day trips and expeditions so we can take our time and enjoy and soak everything in would be preferred.
Budget, it won't be frivolous, but we have been saving towards this for some time and we do not wish to cut any enjoyment due to trying to save a few extra $ on the road, if we got a sense that the trip we plan is not funded well enough we are patient enough to wait another year, as I said this is something we will have to plan well in advance to make it work.
Places we have been: Vegas for honeymoon. Do not intend to go back! Too fast, had a hard time relaxing because we tried to do it all. Weather was good though 100 F plus, but low humidity.
Paradise Island, Bahamas. Went in winter so avg temp was about 70 F, nice ocean breezes. Dolphind to swim with. Snorkling, Beverages with fresh fruits and liquor from the next isle over! Was very enjoyable and intend to return sometime.
Alot of other trips to state parks, walking and climbing trails, riding horses and exploring caves. Indiana actually has several fine caves to explore. Enjoy anything that gets us outdoors and moving.
We have also always wanted to get to Ireland and tour the castles and hihglands. England to research our family tree which takes us to a little village outside of early 1600's London. Austrailia and New Zealand for all the breathtaking natural beauty. Mainly we just dont want to "miss" something, which is why we have asked about 10 people whos opinion we value the same question!

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  21:40:58  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I'll echo the praise for Ed's Abeir-reply already expressed here by others. But I'll also offer an observation - I don't know if it's due to the phonetic differences between Swedish and English, but I actually find Laerakond to be a lot more softer-sounding than Tarathdeon. *shrugs*

That is probably because Swedish is phonetically such a weird and funny language! To a Finn Tarathdeon sounds softer and easier to pronounce... (BTW, isn't it 'Laerakånd' in Swedish? )

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  22:32:00  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
Hello, dear Hooded One and Ed.

I don´t bring a question today, only a comment. I watch the movie In the Name of the King - A Dungeon Siege´s Tale this weekend, and I want to share with you that I see a lot of "cormyrean feel" in the movie (IMO).

Let´s see:

A good old king with unknown bastard sons in the realm? Check.
A bastard son of a good old king destined for glory? Check.
A court mage that take care of the kingdom with spell, ruthless, and a good grip on the informations? Check.
Women of the woods? Check.
Treacherous nobles and relatives of the king? Check.
An external menace, and a great invading horde? Check.

Well, it pays the pop corn, for sure. And with Burt Reynolds, Jason Statham, John Rhys-Davis, Kristanna Token, Ray Liotta, and others... we don´t have much story and history, but we have a lot of fun!

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  00:48:24  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
A raft of questions this time that I'll understand if you don't want to answer yet: sailing times from Faerun nearest port to Tarmalune or Imdolphyn in Returned Abeir? Usual weather? Any hazards along the way (reefs, shoals, whirlpools, frequent storms in a particular area?).
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  00:49:36  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Aha! You planning a merchant shipping Abeir/Faerun campaign, too? (If so, are you planning to have pirates? If yes, let's talk!)
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  00:53:57  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Yes, I am!!! Pirates, dunno, but probably.
Another question for Ed: just saw this, in THO's reply above: "bones get ground up for use in fertilizer," and am moved to ask: in Ed's fiendish design hands, is there such a thing as a Ground Bone Zombie? Or Golem?
Thanks!
BB

Edited by - Blueblade on 09 Sep 2008 00:54:52
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  03:32:02  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message
Hello, it has been awhile since I've bugged THO and Ed, so I had another question pop into my head lately while reflecting upon a locked scroll (other books to read scroll that was locked.)

In Zelazny's Lord of Light, Sam makes a generations long quest to defeat the "gods". Has anyone done anything similar in Faerun? I can see Larloch having the time, and the lichs to start problems where and when, but am not sure it is his style to start heresy's in this church, rumors in this nation, defeating this country's rulers, etc. Maybe if Manshoon has been around longer, I could see something like this as his work.

Have fun in the north while I eat my cooked trout over a campfire next weekend.

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  15:26:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ahhh, fresh-caught trout. As it happens, I caught two nice ones a few days back, right off my dock, and got them into the pan right away. Lovely. A completely different taste than trout that aren't fresh, or that have been refrigerated or (gak!) frozen.
And as it happens, your question is one I and some others have asked Ed, over the years. He has declined to give details for "unfolding campaign fun" reasons, but has confirmed that some gods have quietly tried to covertly eliminate many other gods, and that "at least four" mortals have made "serious attempts, that 'got somewhere,' " to take on, and destroy or take the place of, various gods.
Obviosuly without success. Or wait . . . perhaps they WERE successful, and we mortals just don't know! Bwoohahahaha! (And so forth.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  15:29:59  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Heh. Dear Hooded Lady, shouldn't that be "Ahhh, fresh-caught trout" ?

BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  15:32:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Now, now, Blueblade, a lady never shows tongue.
Good thing I'm no lady!
love,
THO
P.S. My, er, repartee reminds me of Knightly moments of Pennae, verbally giving it back to Semoor.

Edit: added Ye Postscripte.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 09 Sep 2008 15:33:39
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  16:31:58  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Now, now, Blueblade, a lady never shows tongue.
Good thing I'm no lady!
love,
THO
P.S. My, er, repartee reminds me of Knightly moments of Pennae, verbally giving it back to Semoor.

Edit: added Ye Postscripte.

Are there any Pennae scraps that didn't make the three 3 knights books that can be shared??

Pretty please

Edited by - The Red Walker on 09 Sep 2008 16:32:24
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2008 :  02:10:20  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I have heard a rumor that one of Ed's books is about to be made into a movie, but the source had no details at all. IS this just a rumor?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2008 :  02:13:58  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message
I'm not Ed or THO, obviously, but I must say: don't get your hopes up. I've been hearing variations on this rumor literally since 1988 (Realms novels only, back then, but with every single one of Ed's non-Realms novels, since. I thought the funniest rumor was the one that had Jack Palance (!) [he was still alive, back then] starring in a movie of one of Ed's Band of Four books.
Still, wouldn't it be nice if it was real, for a change?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000