Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  20:39:30  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Uh... Hello. Red is Evil. Blood, Fire, Lust, Pain... Awesomness!

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  22:56:20  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Spells stilled, Scribes:

Here comes another long list of questions by yours truly
that will bring down the NDA field faster that the
USS Enterprise raises her shields.

* I assume that Elminster and the Shrinshee have been intimate.
If not, please correct me. If so, would they have a child together,
or would the Shrinshee have a child with anybody?

*If we ask a question about "what if" Realms questions that might be covered with a NDA, will we be able to get info or does the NDA still
cover alternative history questions?

*With the above question in mind, would the elves of Myth Drannor be able to reconcile with the drow of Elven court after the Cormanthor War? I don't know if I will use parts of the War of the Spider Queen, and so would like a kind of just in case answer.

*How do the ruins of Elven Court look as of 1375 DR? Is it riddled with portals like Myth Drannor?
Madam Hoody, have you ever journeyed to Elven Court in-game? Could you give us some memories or notes?

*Elminster having kids as a female; have any of the other Chosen ever (except Khelben, I don't think he would stay long as a woman, I think he is too muy macho) gender-switched and father/mothered a kid?

*Have you ever mapped out the 5-10 mile range around Myth Drannor? Can you give us some of the burbs around?

*What if, an Elven High Mage ran across Aecnar the Mantled King's watchghost and offered him the chance to come alive and serve Myth Drannor and allied Dales, would he say yes?

*If adventurers were to dedicate themselves to exploring the Desertmouth Mountains, what would they find? Where is the old fortress of the ex-Chosen dracolich father writer leader?

*Would Larloch be guarding against a previously unknown/unmentioned elder elemental evil, or have there been any hints published?

*The Harpers have hid many possible heirs to countries to keep them alive. Have they done that with any of Queen Amlaruil's missing children?

*Would a nature elemental (found on Eric Boyd's website compendium)
be enough to restore the soil in Sessrendale to a livable state? Would that allow the Sessrendale ghosts to rest? Where did the survivors of Sessrendale flee to during its destruction?

*At the old battlefields of the Weeping War, what would adventurers find in the soil/rubble left over?

(sops brow) Whooh, that was long. Okay everyone, watch nothing happen
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  03:48:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring you the latest words of Ed:

I am away from my notes on the Red Wizards at the moment, so I probably won't be able to give you the few lines therein on the origins of their name (from the hue of their robes, of course, but I mean the origins of their wearing garments of that color, which should be a shiny crimson, or "deep red with a sheen to it" if you prefer) until tomorrow.
In the meantime, let me tackle the easy few amongst the latest flood of questions from althen artren:

Yes, El and the Srinshee have been intimate. Any offspring would only occur if Mystra wanted it AND a certain elven goddess wanted it, too. Have they? Heh-heh: NDA!!!

NDAs usually cover alternative "what ifs," just to prevent eloquent and clever gamers (which, let's face it, is most gamers, right?) from learning too much with a succession of carefully-worded questions.

Yes, THO and the Knights have journeyed to the Elven Court, in-game. Descriptions forthcoming? Not so much. :}

The Mantled King has ALREADY been offered the chance to live again, and refused. He has, however, accepted augmentation of his undead powers (from certain Weave-ghost servitors of Mystra) so as to serve more effectively as a ghostly guardian of the Dales.

Larloch is guarding against something, but just what, is decidedly NDA.

No, a nature elemental alone couldn't restore Sessrendale, because other magics have been cast there since its desolation. What, why, and by whom, are all, yes, NDA!

Yes, I've mapped Myth Drannor and its environs. However, those maps are the property of Wizards, and can't be revealed/published except with their permission.

Yes, Chosen who switch gender CAN father or bear children, as the case may be, but only with Mystra's permission (she controls conception). As to who may have done this, why, and with what result, yep, those trusty NDAs are riding forth again! Yee-hah, and so forth and suchlike and tings of dat naytchooah.

So saith Ed. Who is imparting all he can, believe me. So, Thay lore (we hope) tomorrow.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Marek
Seeker

Italy
52 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  09:06:20  Show Profile  Visit Marek's Homepage Send Marek a Private Message
I'm shivering with anticipation
Go to Top of Page

Marek
Seeker

Italy
52 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  11:50:49  Show Profile  Visit Marek's Homepage Send Marek a Private Message
Actually, I'd like to ask one more thing related to the Red Wizards.
In the campaign setting, zulkir Nevron is referred to as "fiend-touched". However, his official stats describe him as being entirely human.
To what extent shall we consider him a fiendtouched then?
Thanks for this one too

Ok, hte other players from the online shard would like to ask a few more questions and I'm acting as an ambassador

1-A paladin of Mystra can gain levels as a sorcerer but needs to go through some kind of initiation. Faiths & Pantheons doesn't specify what kind of initiation. We would like to know what it is about

2-Also from Faiths & Pantheons, we would like to know more about the mistake made by Lathander called "Dawn Cataclysm"

Thanks!!!!!!

Edited by - Marek on 25 Aug 2008 15:07:47
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  17:06:53  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Spells stilled scribes:

(Chuckles)

Yeah, I thought as much. You know, I'm having just as much fun
throwing questions out there to be shot down by NDA artillery
as I am getting my questions answered. Good thing, eh?

Going back to my Desertmount Mts. question, can we also have some locations and descriptions of passes from the Dalelands into Anauroch? Who uses them, who guardes them, inhabitants, etc?

Also, the elven goddess who needs to grant permission to the
Shrinshee is assume is NDA as well?

Edited by - althen artren on 25 Aug 2008 17:09:56
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  17:10:18  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message

THO, can you give us some guidelines about what we can ask to Ed about the 4E era Realms ?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  19:43:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Skeptic. I'm afraid I can't, yet, because neither Ed nor I know. Tell you what: ask anything, but don't expect any substantial answers at least until after the FR Players Guide (the text of which Ed hasn't seen) is out (and Ed has had a chance to look at it). Okay?
In the meantime, I do bring this from Ed, in response to Marek:

Hi, Marek. I'd say Nevron looks human, acts human, and has fiendish bloodlines at about the grandparent (or great-grandparent) level. Which means he has a minor latent power or ability or two, that will manifest at moments of great stress (i.e. when the DM needs them, in a fight with PCs), and that Nevron will instantly be able to understand and use, if not necessarily control precisely. There. Heh-heh. :}

As for paladins of Mystra: they get tested (with temptation, not anything formal, and at least twice, in two entirely different ways) by undercover servants of Mystra, to make sure they won't easily be corrupted with power. If they fail, they don't progress unless they redeem themselves somehow; if they pass, Mystra grants them the ability to begin to understand and wield the Art. There's a formal ceremony afterwards, which is what conceals the nature of such testings from the uninitiated, that is referred to as "the initiation," but it's more of a "momentary meeting with the goddess" plus party than a real test. Mystra WILL spot any secrets and deceit within the paladin at this meeting, however.

Regarding the Dawn Cataclysm: Eric Boyd, George Krashos, Brian James, and others have speculated and written extensively about this event here at Candlekeep and in THE GRAND HISTORY OF THE REALMS. Mortals may never know much more about exactly what occurred, way back then . . . which may help them stay sane, for one thing. Are your questioners familiar with all of this lore. or are they looking for a different take on matters? :}

So saith Ed. Creator and Eternal Master of the Realms. Note that when he talks about temptation testing for the paladins, he means they shouldn't know they're being tested, at least at the start; it's by circumstances of life, and not a formal ritual or "holy test" in a temple.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 25 Aug 2008 19:45:57
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  20:27:30  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Excellent! Free rein to ask questions! Let the bombarding commence! Artillery!

Is there a new Mystra?
If so, who is she?
It it maybe a he?
WWtSD (What Would the Seven Do)?
WWED (Same thing, only with El)?
Since the Seven are so powerful, how come they never seem to be able to cough up a Wish or a high level cleric to resurrect people (Qilue, Syluné, etc.)?
Does Mystra object?
Why is the Simbul kind of cracked?
How wdid she survive these 100 Years of Chaos doing nothing but caring for El?
Unless she was doing something else?
What's the truth of Laeral's and Khelben's relationship?

Well, that's all the ammo I have for now. Wait until I reload!

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  21:11:48  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

What's the truth of Laeral's and Khelben's relationship?

I'll tackle that one for ye, Ed, if you don't mind.

To quote the Grumpy One, "All the truth you need to know is this--we love and respect one another as equals, regardless of power or age or birthrights. Whether others understand or know that is irrelevant, for we realize and embrace it."

I'm not sure if that answers your question, but it's the answer that Khelben put in my head.

Laeral's answer made me blush enough to not share it publicly.

Steven
who is still saddened he can't tell more of Khelben and Laeral's story but perhaps it's better that way as it's left to our imaginations.....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  22:13:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Excellent! Free rein to ask questions! Let the bombarding commence! Artillery!

Is there a new Mystra?
If so, who is she?
It it maybe a he?

There is no deity of magic in the post-Sellplague Realms. Having a deity of magic was considered a problem by some, since she was "too powerful". Part of the point of the Sellplague was to do away with that position.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  22:57:37  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
And yet Vecna makes the list for the Core rules... Ah well, at least it will bring in a new group of players to search for the 'Head of Vecna'.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  23:51:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all! Ed's still not home to lay hands on his Thay notes, but he did send me this:

Hi, Menelvagor.
Herewith some replies. Steven (thank you, sir!) has ably dealt with your Laeral/Khelben query, and Wooly with your "Mystra replacement" triad.
So, herewith SOME replies for your others.
First: the Simbul didn't spend a century looking after Elminster. Oh, no. More the other way around . . .
Very few mortals can carry the power and "load of cares" of divinity; attempts to do so drive many of them insane (see: Cyric and ALL of the senior Chosen of Mystra). So that's why the Simbul is the way she is.
One of these reasons they go crazy is sheer frustration, and that's often rooted in what Mystra prevented them doing. They are usually forbidden to just go and blast a powerful magic-using foe (e.g. Manshoon) because Mystra wants magic to be widespread. They can battle and frustrate the schemes of oppressive magical organizations (i.e. those that seek to control general magic-use), but can't go around "settling scores." Gamers who complain that the Chosen are goody-goody all-powerful types who get in the way of PC heroism have usually overlooked or forgotten this basic fact.
I'll put it even more strongly: Mystra and Azuth want "mere mortals" like PCs to live their own lives and undertake their own strivings, so as to use magic "on their own two feet," and THAT'S why the Chosen are often unable to assist, even when they dearly want to. In the case of fellow Chosen, they AND Mystra are forbidden (By Ao, presumably) to "bring a Chosen back to life" directly. By indirect means, mortal assistance, forethought and caching magic or setting up pacts with non-Chosen and non-servitors of Mystra, yes, but by direct magical means, no. The silver fire screws up Wish and Limited Wish magics, by the way, which is why they can't successfully be used in a hostile manner on any Chosen of Mystra.
As for "what would the Seven/El do?" . . . I need clarification: during the 100 years? In any given situation? To try to replace Mystra? ?

So saith Ed. So, over to you, Menelvagor.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Neil
Learned Scribe

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  00:03:03  Show Profile  Visit Neil's Homepage Send Neil a Private Message
quote:

Since the Seven are so powerful, how come they never seem to be able to cough up a Wish or a high level cleric to resurrect people (Qilue, Syluné, etc.)?
Does Mystra object?

That's the gap where a necessary game mechanic runs into the ability to tell great stories. Raise dead and resurrection are great for raising fallen comrades, but they can make meaningful sacrifice in the fiction problematic.

I've always worked under the assumption that folks like the Seven, Elminster and Khelben, being agents of deities, are somewhat tied to a destiny. When their number is up, it's up (like Qilue or Khelben) and when disaster strikes before their work is done, they'll cheat their final death (Syluné or Elminster).

Then again, it could be as simple as they don't like using that sort of magic as they don't like cheating the dead of their well-deserved rest.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  00:13:44  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and lovely Lady THO,
I have, of course, yet another inane Realms question. Are there meringues, souffles, and other "puff" foodstuffs (not puff pastry, but things that have lots of air in them, like cotton candy) in the Realms?
Ummm, my tummy's rumbling . . .
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  00:17:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Now, now, Blueblade dear, there is no such thing as an inane Realms question.
Or to put it another way, the Realms encompasses all forms of inanity.
Yes, there are "spun sugar" desserts with airy confections atop them, as I recall from Realmsplay, but I don't remember if Ed ever described their making. Our visits to kitchens usually involved fleeing through them at high speed, with Rathan and Torm grabbing handy food, and pratfalls galore occurring (involving sliding helplessly in food, upsetting platters of food, clearing off tables full of food, and ducking cleavers).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  01:00:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Regarding the Dawn Cataclysm: Eric Boyd, George Krashos, Brian James, and others have speculated and written extensively about this event here at Candlekeep and in THE GRAND HISTORY OF THE REALMS. Mortals may never know much more about exactly what occurred, way back then . . . which may help them stay sane, for one thing. Are your questioners familiar with all of this lore. or are they looking for a different take on matters? :}
And to this, I will just add that perhaps Marek should perform a search here at Candlekeep for scrolls pertaining to the subject of the "Dawn Cataclysm." As Ed said, this is a topic that has long been discussed, and many intriguing theories have been put forth by various scribes [myself included], which deal with what limited tidbits we know about the event. They're definitely worth reading Marek.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Aug 2008 01:02:57
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  02:06:05  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
Heyo, evehbuddy.

Mr. Greenwood, on the transformation Elminster went from 2E to 3E (namely, the shortening of the hair and the change in visual presentation), how much of it was your call? I can't remember how much you've said on the control you have over your characters, but I get different impressions looking at the two different versions of the character. The first is obvious wise and sagely, but the other has a roguish, ne'er-do-well feel to him.

Both fit, but it seems a pretty extreme change. If it wasn't your call, how did you feel about it?

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Solomon
Acolyte

New Zealand
23 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  03:01:32  Show Profile  Visit Solomon's Homepage Send Solomon a Private Message
First off I just want to thank Ed for the response to my questions long ago regarding Arkhon the Old and various mentors to Elminster over the years - very informative. Much thanks also to the Hooded One for bringing this knowledge to us - we are in your debt.

I was just wondering if Ed would be able to provide me with some details on the city of Saerloon in Sembia other than the vague outlines presented in various sourcebooks. In particular, I was hoping he could describe some of the more powerful/influential/prominent "movers and shakers" in the city, particularly in the way of merchant houses. Detailed information on the underworld/criminal element of the city would also be thankfully received.

Ed, thanks a lot for all your help - I really enjoy reading all the wonderful fleshed out nuggets of realmslore you provide here on Candlekeep.

Cheers,
Solomon
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  07:24:24  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
I still don't understand why The Simbul is cracked. El's been a Chosen for a 1000 years longer, yet he doesn't seem that cracked. I can see why El would have to take care of The Simbul in the 50 years before 4e FR kicks off, but isn't El the one with the problem? The Voices in his head? Who are they? Deceased users of magic/Chosen of Mystra/Mystra&Azuth? What would they want from him? To direct his actions? To do what? We stated she's not coming back.

I meant, what did El and The 7 (sounds like a band!) in the Hundred Years of Chaos? What are they doing now?

Oh, a new question: SInce Mystra isn't there anymore, and they've lost their Chosen powers, what prevents her from getting pregnant (aside from the fact that Cracked Powerful Chosen+Pregnant Woman=Total Destruction)?
And does El have any other Kids he does or doesn't know about (aside from Nanra)?

Oh, and we want to hear Laeral's reply (especially if it made you blush)! And if you can't tell us Laeral's reply, tell us what made you blush in it! Cursing? Bluntness?

Edited by - Menelvagor on 26 Aug 2008 07:27:24
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  07:41:40  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GoCeraf

Heyo, evehbuddy.

Mr. Greenwood, on the transformation Elminster went from 2E to 3E (namely, the shortening of the hair and the change in visual presentation), how much of it was your call? I can't remember how much you've said on the control you have over your characters, but I get different impressions looking at the two different versions of the character. The first is obvious wise and sagely, but the other has a roguish, ne'er-do-well feel to him.

Do you know that El is back to his 2E appearence in the 4E FRCG ?
Go to Top of Page

Marek
Seeker

Italy
52 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  09:33:34  Show Profile  Visit Marek's Homepage Send Marek a Private Message
Wow thanks a lot for the info!
I'll definitely look for more info about the Dawn Cataclysm in here...the only boring part will be putting them all together and translate them for the other players XD.
Still waiting for the answer to the ULTIMATE question, why do Red Wizards wear red and I shall add that any official info from Ed that has never been published(I already have any manual or novel speaking about them) is going to be very very very welcome.
I am mad about those wizards!

Edit:
now that I discovered this questions keep popping in my head!
I'd like to ask one more thing about the Red Wizards.
What about their enclave in Baldur's Gate?
The dukes are part of the Lords which usually oppose Thay. I know some are less strict about that but how would you consider the relationship between the Thayan enclave in Baldur's Gate and the local rulers?
This is very important for us to know since on the online shard we play Red Wizards from that enclave

Edit 2: Argh...I found 4 pages of threads in which to read about the Dawn Cataclysm but brwosing through them I couldn't find anything related to it O_O Is there a specific thread you suggest to look into? I'd like not to have to read all of those threads! XD

Edited by - Marek on 26 Aug 2008 10:10:57
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  12:52:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Marek

Edit 2: Argh...I found 4 pages of threads in which to read about the Dawn Cataclysm but brwosing through them I couldn't find anything related to it O_O Is there a specific thread you suggest to look into? I'd like not to have to read all of those threads! XD

Really, there's next to no information out there about the Dawn Cataclysm. About all we know is that it was a divine conflict that presaged the fall of Myth Drannor, that Lathander started it, that a deity named Murdane died because of it, and that Tyche split during it. And that's the sum of the official info. It's said by some designers that it happened "outside of time", but that's an explanation that I myself just can't stand -- especially since there's enough info to nail it down to some time between 700 and 712 DR.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  13:04:49  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message
Reposting my question in case it was missed:

quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber

Question for Ed;

It's been reported in several forums that the doom Halaster was seeking to prevent in Expedition to Undermountain was in fact the Spellplague. Was this the intent when the adventure was written, or was it decided to establish a connection after the fact?

I ask this because the references to the impending doom in EtU don't match up very well with the Spellplague. On page 8, it describes, "This disaster takes the form of a convergence of powerful arcane power moving in slow, inexorable unison with Undermountain. This arcane power moves into the same physical space as the dungeon Halaster has overseen, guarded, strengthened, and modified for so long. (His visions convey nothing of the nature of this arcane power, or the why and how of its movement.) Since Undermountain literally glows with numerous wards and countless localized spells, an explosive collision of these magics with the approaching arcane power would result in the collapse and destruction of most of Undermountain—in turn causing the city above to fall into the vast dungeon beneath, killing thousands upon thousands."

Obviously, nothing like this happened, and Waterdeep is relatively unscathed. Further, it seems that the collapse of the Weave wouldn't be a "collision" between some separate source of arcane power and Undermountain's magics; wouldn't it simply be Undermountain's magics going haywire all on their own?

Also, on page 188, it's said, "Recently, he performed a great service for a goddess of magic. To reward him, she stabilized his mind, which allowed him to devote almost all of his time to his master spell." Wouldn't both Mystra and Halaster know that no spell could stop the collapse of the Weave itself, especially if the goddess of magic has been killed?

Lastly, on page 193, it's said, "So, what was the doom that Halaster foresaw and tried so hard to defend against? We leave that mystery for DMs to determine, since they know best what might be a true and terrible threat for their campaign. Check out the upcoming Elder Evils supplement for ideas that may inspire a follow-up adventure to the events that took place in Undermountain."

This suggests that the threat wasn't of such Realms-Shaking importance that it needed to be firmly defined (or that it would even necessarily occur). And the suggested Elder Evils supplement as a follow-up doesn't contain anything Spellplague-related. So, was the idea of connecting the events of EtU to the Spellplague an after-the-fact decision?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  14:10:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Marek

Really, there's next to no information out there about the Dawn Cataclysm. About all we know is that it was a divine conflict that presaged the fall of Myth Drannor, that Lathander started it, that a deity named Murdane died because of it, and that Tyche split during it. And that's the sum of the official info. It's said by some designers that it happened "outside of time", but that's an explanation that I myself just can't stand -- especially since there's enough info to nail it down to some time between 700 and 712 DR.

It was dated once [161 DR], in a poster handed out a GenCon -- the seriously flawed [and now largely ignored] "Netheril Timeline" handout as I recall.

Though, Eric Boyd first suggested that the Dawn Cataclysm happened outside the timestream and, thus, cannot be dated.

Marek, you'll find what little we do actually know about the Dawn Cataclysm in both Faiths & Avatars and Faiths & Pantheons.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  14:13:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber

Reposting my question in case it was missed:
Cylver, just for future reference, there's no need to re-post your questions. THO always sends all the questions asked by scribes here, to Ed. He'll get to them when he can.

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Aug 2008 14:15:27
Go to Top of Page

Marek
Seeker

Italy
52 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  14:14:42  Show Profile  Visit Marek's Homepage Send Marek a Private Message
Thanks, I'll tell the others about it. I think they checked on Faiths & Pantheons but not on Faiths & Avatars.
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  14:19:03  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

First: the Simbul didn't spend a century looking after Elminster. Oh, no. More the other way around . . .

I couldn't exactly picture the Simbul mothering Elminster...
And I am sure there are lots of ways to prevent pregnancy by a powerful mage if she wants to. Simple prestidigitations or alchemical solutions might work. They may not be efficient always (my Greyhawk character, a dragon disciple, discovered that her herbal solutions didn't work as well on her half-dragon boyfriend).
My Realms character (who is a barber, if not a very talented one) probably carries some means about (for use by other people, obviously).
Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  15:10:49  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gomez
My Realms character (who is a barber, if not a very talented one) probably carries some means about (for use by other people, obviously).

A pair of shears?

*crosses legs*

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  15:27:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Whooo, things get a little rough around here when I'm not looking. I've heard of major snippage here at the Keep before, but . . .
CylverSaber, worry not; Ed did get your question and will get to it. When he or I respond to later questions first, it's either due to the nature of the request or because we happen to have the answer handy (e.g. Ed has recently been doing Realms work or looking something up for another Realms writer that involved dredging up lore that can now be used right away in the answer, rather than being hunted for).
GoCeraf, I recall that Ed had no say at all in the change in El's portrayal from "near- Gandalf" to "Sean Connery carrying the Lion Sword." For the record, Ed likes both portrayals, and made the point at the time of that change that El magically controls the way he looks all the time, anyway, and is a consummate actor, so whatever the "real El" is, we may not be seeing it.
In the original Realms campaign, The Simbul is almost always disguised as a bird, fencepost, snake, spider, kitten, or whatever; she moves about the Realms in other shapes, spying on things, more than she's in her own shape.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 26 Aug 2008 15:59:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000