Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5041 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  22:22:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all! BlackMoria, you have launched a query that hurtled straight into the bright, shiny unyieldingness of a new NDA.
1. Congratulations!
2. Sorry. Sigh.
3. Well, you can infer the obvious from this, of course: that the Crown has, or will, resurface in the Realms in some fashion at some time, and that you and all readers of Realms fiction might in time to come read about it.
You made Ed grin. Quoth he:

"They read my thoughts, I know they do!
Proof positive, once more!

Heh. So saith Ed.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4291 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  22:58:29  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
With Eilistraee and Qilué Veladorn apparently dead have any of the NDAs been released yet?

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  23:35:02  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

With Eilistraee and Qilué Veladorn apparently dead have any of the NDAs been released yet?

So, uh, hey.

S'Been like, a month since that book came out. Some may not have read it. Some may have had that part spoiled. In other words, spoiler warnings MIGHT have been a courtesy to consider.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  23:50:11  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage  Send Kes_Alanadel a Yahoo! Message Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message
Greetings Ed and THO,

With the revealing of another NDA, I am reminded of a question that another scribe and I were discussing at one point. With all the massive changes, and the time jump in store for 4e, will that allow some of the old NDA's still in force to be revoked? Or will they stay in force, just in case an author is allowed to write a 'historical' novel at some point in time?

Thank You!

~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  00:29:54  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

Greetings Ed and THO,

With the revealing of another NDA, I am reminded of a question that another scribe and I were discussing at one point. With all the massive changes, and the time jump in store for 4e, will that allow some of the old NDA's still in force to be revoked? Or will they stay in force, just in case an author is allowed to write a 'historical' novel at some point in time?

I understand that NDAs are only lifted when they're explicitly lifted. So until Ed gets the all clear from the legal minds at WotC/Hasbro, they're all still firmly in place... Unfortunately.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
799 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  01:17:00  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message
Hey Ed:) Well met:P

Just a.......well, not so quick question.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10920&whichpage=5

Currently, we are discussing powerful Spellcasters. Larloch, etc, and the story Tears so white came up.

Larloch acts visibly afraid of Storm when she advances with Silverfire, and I personally maintain that this was a placating act on his part to show he meant no harm, etc.

My reasoning being, Even if she smoked him with Silverfire, he would simply return to his Phylactery safely within whatever crazy pocket Dimension he hid it in and he truly had nothing to fear permanently.

etc

Ill just cut and paste some of the conversation:

quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

After reading "Tears so white", it seems that the Sisters think Larloch has no protection against Silver fire and that Silver fire would be the end all of any fight with Larloch?

They assume nobody, not even Larloch, could make any sort of Barrier against Silver fire because it is unblockable, and that it would destroy him if it touched him.

Ill assume this story was set before Blackstaff and 4 of the Sisters fought Telamont Tanthul in the city of Shade and learned that Lord Shadow was capable of raising a spell shield powerful enough to block silverfire.

In any case, Larloch literally walked right up to Storm as she was channelling silverfire in her hand and stuck his face close enough to sniff it. Hardly the actions of a man afraid of the stuff, despite what they think.

I also don't understand why they think it would destroy him. Nothing short of taking out his Phylactery can destroy him, and Larloch has aranged matters so that his spirit takes over one of his dominated liches instead of going back to his phylactery for a day anyways.

I think you need to re-read the last three pages or so. As Storm steps towards him with the silver fire he steps back not once, but twice before finally holding his ground. Only after it becomes apparent Storm is not threatening him with does lean forward to lust after the thing he cannot have. That is part of what makes him so dangerous, he is Ultra-Powerful , but not too arrogant to realize his weakness.

Oh I don't deny he probably would not want his form destroyed and that is why he was backing off(Losing his items such as his 25 Ioun stones), but the fact is, he cannot be truly killed unless they destroy his phylactery, and if destroyed he would simply be soul transported into one of his bound liches instead of his phylactery, fully capable of instantly fighting again. He was in no immediate true danger of being wiped out.

Nobody is going to try to go into the Warlock's keep fighting 60 high level liches and 3 Demi liches + the Ultra lich himself to get his Phylactery. Not unless they are suicidal.

How much of his "fear" was simple posturing to declare he was no enemy? Looking at it logically, he really was in no immediate true danger. If that even was the true Larloch. Remember Ed Greenwood himself also said if he was ever to have a situation where Larloch was to interact and fight, and possibly lose, the character would find they only destroyed one of his controlled puppet liches.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Ill assume this story was set before Blackstaff and 4 of the Sisters fought Telamont Tanthul in the city of Shade and learned that Lord Shadow was capable of raising a spell shield powerful enough to block silverfire.

The story was set in the summer (I believe) of 1374 DR. That's definitely after the Shade debacle, but a few months before Blackstaff.

Well, weird then. Its been proven that extremely powerful Archwizards like Telamont Tanthul could spell shield Silverfire(Return of the Archwizards book 3. Tanthul spell shields a silverfire blast from Khelben Blackstaff)

Seems off that the sisters would overlook that Larloch is powerful enough to shield from Silverfire, or that a Lich cannot be destroyed short of taking out his phylactery. He really was in no true Danger, yet all parties seemed to act as if it was otherwise.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ShadezofDis

quote:
Well, weird then. Its been proven that extremely powerful Archwizards like Telamont Tanthul could spell shield Silverfire(Return of the Archwizards book 3. Tanthul spell shields a silverfire blast from Khelben Blackstaff)

Seems off that the sisters would overlook that Larloch is powerful enough to shield from Silverfire, or that a Lich cannot be destroyed short of taking out his phylactery. He really was in no true Danger, yet all parties seemed to act as if it was otherwise.

I'm not going to get into the Shades, don't know much about them and care less.

But, as for Silverfire destroying Larloch, I don't find it implausible that Silverfire would devour his soul, along with his body. Doesn't mean that it would happen, just saying it's not impossible. Silverfire is the essence of the Weave and is quite versatile in it's uses.

I have read almost every single DnD sourcebook and never have I seen anything that even implies Silverfire has the power to obliterate souls. Its section indicates that it delivers tremendous damage to any being struck by it, and details all of its other powers.

In his profile in Lords of Darkness, it states that Larloch has silver vulnerability and takes double damage from Silverfire and the like, but nowhere does it state that it can obliterate souls. Among other things, he has a quickened teleport and time stop contingency cast upon himself which would instantly move him to his sanctuary if he was harmed badly enough.

We can Ask Ed greenwood I guess. Where is this section you speak of walker?

Lol. So I guess in the end, What i am asking is, Could Storm have obliterated his Soul on the spot, despite usual lich Soul returning to Phylactery stuff(Or to another lich of his), Contingency spells teleporting him away, etc? Did he have genuine reason to immediately fear for his existence other than making powerful enemies of several Chosen who could together pose a greater threat??

Sorry about the long add ons and Quotes. Its just a weird question. It bothered me that Larloch the Ultra Lich would show fear to Storm, who a Manshoon clone could handle if she didn;t have Elminsters help(Spellfire book 2 seems to indicate that Storm thinks she would not match up well vs Manshoon without El's help)
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  04:53:31  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

My campaign recently jumped from my current home brewed world to Faerun (through the backlash of a portal being destroyed), and as such I've been doing a bit of reading up on certain places and people... Unsurprisingly, they're headed for Cormyr next.

I was just reading the Dhedluk entry in Volo's Guide to Cormyr where I came across the Women of the Woods. What additional information can you reveal about them? I'm also curious about whether or not they ever butt heads with the High Hunt (for example, if the current victim being hunted is a woman). Volo suggests that the leader of the Women of the Woods, Vandara "the Vixen" Thulont, is one of Azoun's many bastards, and Elminster in a footnote acknowledges this with a wink - can you reveal if it is actually true? Or have I found yet another NDA?

This organisation is likely to come up in the campaign very soon (within a fortnight at this point!) - the group is going to end up in Dhedluk following clues regarding the High Hunt (the party is a bunch of meddlers, who usually get into things over their heads but somehow still manage to land on their feet. I think they'll give the Harpers a run for their money by the time they're through with Faerun!). Anyway, the plan is that the victim is a female noble from Immersea (I'm thinking one of the Thunderswords?) - so maybe they might run across the Women of the Woods.

Speaking of which, anyone know where I might find more detailed information about the Thunderswords and the Wyvernspurs? Also, the entire Cormaeril family was exiled, right? So they no longer have holdings in Immersea?

Edit: I just realized how incredibly broad and unspecific I was in my questions just now, so here are a few I would mind getting answers for in regards to the Women of the Wood...

1) What role, if any, did they play in the war with the Devil Dragon? How much attrition did they suffer, if at all? And did the Ghazneth decide to feast on their highly magical headquarters (according to Volo, they made their home in the ruins of Meliyekur's Magical Museum - which I would imagine would have provided the Ghazneth with magical nourishment)?

2) If the Women of the Wood still survive in the current pre-spellplague timeline, what do they think of the current arrangement of the Crown - do they approve of Alusair as Steel Regent, or do they think she should be Queen? If so, what steps are they likely to take to ensure this comes to be (if any)?

3) What does Alusair think of the Women of the Woods, if she knows of them? Vangerdahast was watching and harrying the Women of the Wood, does Caladnei continue this policy?

4) What kind of numbers do the Women of the Wood have? Do they regularly get new women joining? If so, do the Women just accept any girl or woman who comes to them, or must they meet some criteria?

5) What kind of policy do they have regarding male children of members? Are members likely to leave the Women in order to raise their sons?

6) How likely is it that the organization will survive the 100 year jump into the 4th Ed time line?

I could probably come up with more questions, and plainly some of them are just questions that interest me rather than anything that is going to come up in my campaign - particularly the the last two.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 11 Jul 2008 06:00:08
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  22:30:34  Show Profile  Click to see Foxhelm's MSN Messenger address  Send Foxhelm a Yahoo! Message Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Quick question:

Of the different player races we might see in the realms (Dragonborn, Dwarf, Eladrin, Drow, Elf, Halfling, Tiefling, Half-elf and Genasi), which ones would have freckles? If not, do they have something like freckles in their physical make up?

Thanks,

HV

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2008 :  00:42:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes.
As it happens, I can answer Foxhelms’ question right away, with a quote from Ed, thanks to one of us players asking him much the same thing:

Humans, halflings, half-elves, gnomes, and tieflings can all have freckles (it’s rare in all of these except halflings), and there are freckle-like conditions created by the scarring of some diseases (akin to old “pox” scars in our real world) that can afflict almost all races.

So saith Ed. Who should be sending me a longer Realmslore reply soon. He promised.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2008 :  04:12:30  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Hi, Ed and THO.
A question: do War Wizards ever police Suzail or Arabel or Marsember in disguise, to assist the Watch (as spies, I mean, not as part of Watch patrols)?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2008 :  04:14:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time I set before interested scribes a Realmslore reply from Ed to scribe Firestorm, addressing this query: “. . . Currently, we are discussing powerful Spellcasters. Larloch, etc, and the story Tears So White came up.
Larloch acts visibly afraid of Storm when she advances with Silverfire, and I personally maintain that this was a placating act on his part to show he meant no harm, etc.
My reasoning being, Even if she smoked him with Silverfire, he would simply return to his Phylactery safely within whatever crazy pocket Dimension he hid it in and he truly had nothing to fear permanently.”

[[THO: scribes’ converse from a thread here at the Keep was then included, but I have snipped it here for brevity’s sake]]

“Lol. So I guess in the end, What i am asking is: Could Storm have obliterated his Soul on the spot, despite usual lich Soul returning to Phylactery stuff (Or to another lich of his), Contingency spells teleporting him away, etc? Did he have genuine reason to immediately fear for his existence other than making powerful enemies of several Chosen who could together pose a greater threat??
Sorry about the long add ons and Quotes. Its just a weird question. It bothered me that Larloch the Ultra Lich would show fear to Storm, who a Manshoon clone could handle if she didn’t have Elminster’s help (Spellfire book 2 seems to indicate that Storm thinks she would not match up well vs. Manshoon without El's help).”

Ed replies:

You have divined matters correctly, Firestorm. Larloch is trying to seem seem unthreatening, and so retreats a few steps, but he also DOESN’T want to get struck by the silver fire, not out of fear, but because it would burn away many layers of his interwoven magics, causing a “snowballing” deterioration of his lichnee condition AND forcing him to spend much time and trouble fighting this, and restoring all of his magics (if certain magics are destroyed, he would lose control over some of the liches who serve him, and they would certainly try to seize this opportunity [Larloch weakened? Our best chance!] to try to destroy him. I’m not saying they would necessarily succeed, I’m saying Larloch can foresee these problems and would prefer to avoid them. To do otherwise would be wasteful, and would also let others witness and remember (or hear of, from witnesses) this vulnerability and so perhaps foster future attacks on him.

The Sisters also know from experience and Mystra’s teachings something that Larloch hasn’t thought of, and the Princes of Shade never faced.
The silver fire is the raw energy of the Weave (and thus, effectively limitless; it’s the channeled vitality of the WORLD), and by its nature tends to sear both existing spell effects and living things - - and whereas spells can block and foil the silver fire of one source, and a mythal or powerful ward can be crafted so as to “drink” (absorb) silver fire and therefore be strengthened by it rather than destroyed by it, no known magic can withstand the concentrated strikes of six or more sources of silver fire (six or more Chosen and/or avatars of deities of magic who know how to derive and wield silver fire, such as Mystra and Azuth).

Larloch can never “have” silver fire to wield unless he submits to Mystra, abandoning his lichdom and becoming one of her servitor creatures, alive in a vastly lesser body and subject to her authority. He doesn’t know if she would accept him or destroy him, if he asked; all he knows is that she suffers him to continue to exist as he is now, a kingpin among liches, commanding many lichnee. Thus, as it’s a form of magical energy he can’t have and daren’t (as a lich) have overmuch contact with, he’s fascinated by it and hungers to have it (“human nature,” if you will). He approached Storm’s silver fire almost reverently, wanting to see it at very close quarters, yearning to have it - - and yet controlling himself iron-hard, to keep himself from touching it.

Yes, that was “the” (true) Larloch, by the way, not the lich lord inhabiting (controlling and speaking through) the body of another lich from afar (though he can and often does do this).

By the way, in response to “Nobody is going to try to go into the Warlock’s Crypt fighting 60 high level liches” (et cetera), that’s not Larloch’s fear. He fears revolt from within, if he is weakened or incapacitated; his own dominated undead, who so intimately know his powers, where his magic lies, and their ways around his domain, turning upon him.

As for silver fire destroying souls: I don’t know. Certainly no mortal has witnessed this happening (or if they have, understood what they were seeing correctly). Mystra and Azuth would of course know; her Chosen obviously do not.

In this case, with all of Larloch’s contingencies and his phylactery being elsewhere (though there are some special forms of undead that result when liches are magically prevented from contact with their phylacteries, when their lich bodies are destroyed; sorry, NDA on these) I doubt Storm could have destroyed Larloch’s soul on the spot, no. Nor do I think she would ever think she could. Liches are creatures of magic, and Mystra frowns on destroying them without good reason . . . and Larloch was NOT attacking her.

Whew. So saith Ed, master of all things lichnee from way back. Hmmm, “Expert on Lichdom” doesn’t appear that often on resumés, does it?
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
799 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2008 :  14:02:23  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message
Thank you very much:)
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2008 :  16:16:16  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2008 :  22:16:38  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
It may seem silly, but I just found a reason to consider my hat question to be of present interest: the answer would help to determine which (if any) plastic military miniatures would be acceptable interpretations of various nationalities of Toril. F'rinstance: if the Sembians wear floppy plumed hats, would French 17th century musketeers be good models to represent them? Et cetera.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

LetumLux
Seeker

17 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2008 :  23:08:39  Show Profile  Click to see LetumLux's MSN Messenger address Send LetumLux a Private Message
Hi everyone!

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I looked about but there's so much lore and answers to sift through I may have overlooked it!

I've got something of a publishing-lore question:

There's a Mongoose Publishing book from the Encylopaedia Arcane collection called Familiars: Crouching Monkey, Hidden Toad. In this book, it details all sorts of in depth aspects about Familiars and binding/bonding with them, and one of the things that caught my interest was the mention of being able to bind/bond with pretty much anything (with varying difficulties based on factors such as creature type, HD, and so forth), including human(oid) critters and other people.

What my actual question is, since this is a MGP and not a Forgotten Realms book, could any of this be canon for Forgotten Realms and/or is there a book that details Familiars in depth like this that is Forgotten Realms canon that may have the answer else wise?

Thanks in advance!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2008 :  23:53:02  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by LetumLux

Hi everyone!

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I looked about but there's so much lore and answers to sift through I may have overlooked it!

I've got something of a publishing-lore question:

There's a Mongoose Publishing book from the Encylopaedia Arcane collection called Familiars: Crouching Monkey, Hidden Toad. In this book, it details all sorts of in depth aspects about Familiars and binding/bonding with them, and one of the things that caught my interest was the mention of being able to bind/bond with pretty much anything (with varying difficulties based on factors such as creature type, HD, and so forth), including human(oid) critters and other people.

What my actual question is, since this is a MGP and not a Forgotten Realms book, could any of this be canon for Forgotten Realms and/or is there a book that details Familiars in depth like this that is Forgotten Realms canon that may have the answer else wise?

Thanks in advance!

I think that I can safely answer this one and have a decent chance of being correct: no and no.

That said, do I use Crouching Monkey, Hidden Toad? Yes. I will tell you from practical experience, though, that a DM has to keep monitoring the familiar use (or non-use) of PCs. There is a tendency for players to only trot them out when they want to take advantage of the bonuses they supply, and never mind the risks which having a familiar entails (such as having to role-play a relationship with what is, frankly, a pretty stupid companion). There is a strong temptation to bring out the familiar only when convenient, as does Vaarsuvius in Order of the Stick.

Another non-Realms book with useful familiars (such as the dog) is the White Wolf Player's Guide to Wizards and Sorcerers (or some such title). It is intended for the Scarred Lands campaign setting, but much of it is very useful in any setting.

Bona fide Realms familiars include the tressym, or winged cat, which is described in the (genuine) Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. The Monsters of Faerun supplement features a surprisingly large number of creatures which may be chosen as familiars (or "greater" familiars).

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 13 Jul 2008 00:17:36
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  04:55:00  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Reading Ed's response to "who are the best Realms swordsmen," I realize that I have no idea who Maethrammar Aerasume is... (race, nationality, etc.)

Is he in the FRCS by any chance?

By the way, I've summarized Ed's list here, from best blade to (relatively) the worst:

1. mh, Harmel Artru, Saerloon, Sembia.
2. ??, Maethrammar Aerasume, ??, ??
3. mh, Loaros Hammarandar, Narubel, Thindol.
4. fh, Ember Tsartaera, Furthinghome, Aglarond.
5. mh, Skoalam Marlgrask, Chessenta.
6. me (drow), Drizzt Do'Urden, Mithral Hall, Silver Marches
7. fh, Lyaunthra Aldegal, Waterdeep AND (Silverymoon, Neverwinter and Secomber)
8. mh, Sraece Telthorn, Yhaunn, Sembia AND Waterdeep.
9. mh, Artemis Entreri, Calimport, Calimshan.
10. mh, Ulmaer Rivrymm, Sheirtalar, Lapaliiya.
11. mh, Aka 'The Questmaster', Sword Coast North.

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 13 Jul 2008 05:01:42
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  05:13:18  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
He's one of Alustrial's dozen sons. Steven has talked about him, in the file that he created years ago, and if it's the one that also appeared in the Last Mythal books, etc.

Eh, or, since I didn't check, maybe that is their father. I shoulda looked it up first. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Reading Ed's response to "who are the best Realms swordsmen," I realize that I have no idea who Maethrammar Aerasume is... (race, nationality, etc.)

Is he in the FRCS by any chance?

By the way, I've summarized Ed's list here, from best blade to (relatively) the worst:

1. mh, Harmel Artru, Saerloon, Sembia.
2. ??, Maethrammar Aerasume, ??, ??
3. mh, Loaros Hammarandar, Narubel, Thindol.
4. fh, Ember Tsartaera, Furthinghome, Aglarond.
5. mh, Skoalam Marlgrask, Chessenta.
6. me (drow), Drizzt Do'Urden, Mithral Hall, Silver Marches
7. fh, Lyaunthra Aldegal, Waterdeep AND (Silverymoon, Neverwinter and Secomber)
8. mh, Sraece Telthorn, Yhaunn, Sembia AND Waterdeep.
9. mh, Artemis Entreri, Calimport, Calimshan.
10. mh, Ulmaer Rivrymm, Sheirtalar, Lapaliiya.
11. mh, Aka 'The Questmaster', Sword Coast North.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 13 Jul 2008 05:15:27
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  06:38:26  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
You mean Taerntym Tanagathor/Taern Moonweather?

Methrammar Aerasumé, of the Shining Guard [LG hem F14/W12] and commander of Luruar's armies [The North "Cities" pg. 55], is noted as being the most recognized son of Alustriel.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  08:41:11  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Thanks guys! I've updated my list!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  10:52:41  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Well Met All

A few questions about beer and hostelry names in Cormyr

Inspired by CAMRA's* most popular pub name in the UK (The Crown, The Red Lion and The Kings Oak), I have a query re Tavern and Inn names in Cormyr.

I don't recall seeing in any published lore a hostelry named The Purple Dragon (or similar derivatives). Is there an official crown edict banning the naming of establishments after the crown/ruler etc? or is it just seen as tempting Beshaba's smile upon the enterprise to be so 'pompous'?

Would the death of Azoun IV change any of this? Would enterprising folks want to honour him and his memory by naming a tavern after him? (and hope to 'cash in' on his memory).

Are there any establishments named after the place they are in? The Arabel/Thunderstone Arms etc, or again does the crown ban the use of offical names and heraldy for hostelry names? Similarly what are the rules regarding naming a holstery the Lord of Ghars/Baron of Eastern Marches etc.

Are hostelries of various types required by law to have a sign hanging outside of their premises? If so are there rules on the size, shape and content? Would the signs need to be registered with the local herald to ensure that that they don't 'clash' with others? (similar to noble heraldry getting checked before being approved).

Is there an offical ale taster/revenue officer/weights and measure department run by the crown who go around inns and taverns ensuring that people are being served 'correct' drinks e.g. taste and type, crown/guild approved measures.

Are there taxes levied on ale, wine and spirits? If so is there a difference between those who brew to sell to others and those who brew to consume themselves?

Many thanks

Damian
*CAMRA = Campaign For Real Ale

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  17:34:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all! Ed was delayed in replying yesterday due to a Net access outage in his neck of the woods (storm took down a telephone pole, taking a run of fiber-optics with it), but has emerged to tell me he really enjoyed the queries from Zandilar (which he will soon answer; he just has to find one little lore file first), and to deal with the most recent question posted here, by crazedventurers (see directly above).
Ed replies:

Hi, Damian! I’ll try to answer your questions in strict order, and restrict myself to the pre-Spellplague Cormyr in my answers; here we go.

Yes, there is a Crown law (brought into being about ten years before the death of King Azoun IV, when Vangerdahast and Alaphondar had an idle month and agreed on some things, this being one of them) banning businesses of all sorts (including inns, taverns, and private clubs) from using royal names, nicknames, heraldry, and “decrying the Crown” (which means you can’t name your tavern Azoun’s Codpiece or Duar’s Head or the Steel Regent’s Backrest, just to invent some examples). Local Purple Dragons would be offended, and might wreck such an establishment, even if there was no law; some veterans take a VERY dim view of anything that pokes fun at the Crown. They have a fierce loyalty to their “companions in harness” (comrades in arms) and the Obarskyrs who lead them (though not necessarily to some of the nobility serving as military officers). Such a naming would also, as you say, be seen as an attitude tempting misfortune, and might well be avoided by many potential customers as a result. Sometimes upstairs, undercover “drinking clubs” in Marsember get names that are a mockery of the Crown - - but never ‘real,’ taxable businesses.

In memory, Azoun IV is revered (and jovially celebrated in taverns everywhere as “our stallion,” with increasingly overblown accounts of his sexual prowess [lovemaking on the back of a galloping steed that’s leaping fallen trees and creeks as it tears through the forest, for example, something that sounds rather bruising for all parties involved]), but honoring him takes the form of remembrance festivals on the date of his birthday, and the naming of meals or ales as “Azoun’s Preferred” or “Azoun’s Chosen” (claims that everyone smiles at and does nothing to refute, this “everyone” including Crown agents), rather than dubbing buildings and businesses after him.

The naming law also prevents directly naming any business after a specific battle (even a victory), and any noble, noble family, local lord, and any specific heraldic blazon. So you could dub your tavern “The Rearing Stag” even though certain arms use a rearing stag as a device, but you could not duplicate the specific depiction of the rearing stag that appears in the Staghunt noble family blazon, nor adopt the heraldic description of that stag: “a full-antlered scarlet stag rampant to the dexter, its silver rack entwined with the branches of an oak tree” (heralds in the Realms do not use real-world French heraldic terms, though I have sometimes rendered their blazons into such, for clarity - - and ironically, now usually avoiding doing so, for the very same reason). There’s no rule against duplicating the name of a Cormyrean naval ship, simply because there were a few unintended duplications when Vangey and Alaph were drafting the law, and because neither of them considered that any confusion of association could ever arise.

You CAN name your tavern, inn, or stables (but not any other sort of business) directly after the place it is located in (so “The Arms of Arabel” is an illegal name, but “the Pride of Arabel” is not). Tailors can’t set themselves up as “the Flashing Needle of Arabel,” even if their customers give them that nickname, and Crown agents (the same guys who show up to collect taxes) will force a name change on the newer business in any case where they think a second business has been established with a name too similar to an existing one (for one thing, they never want the tax rolls to get confused). So if “the Pride of Arabel” is flourishing, you can’t legally open “the Promenade of Arabel” across the street or at the far end of the city).
No business can name itself after a place it isn’t located in (i.e. no inns in Espar calling themselves “High Horn Rest”). There ARE a few old, ‘grandfathered’ businesses that break both of the rules I’m addressing in this paragraph, and the right to go on breaking it can be bought and sold (but never increased; so the “Wyvernwater Inn” can continue to exist, but if it’s sold and continues operating under the same name, the seller can’t open a new inn called “the Old Wyvernwater House,” and if “Wheloon House” burns down, it can be rebuilt, but it can’t be expanded to two locations, “Old Wheloon House” and “Wheloon Castle”).

Mythical nobles (so long as they can’t be mistaken for members of a real noble family) CAN serve as the names of establishments, so “the Drunken Lord” or “Old Lord Roaringsides” are all right, but “Lord Old Roaringsides” would NOT be allowed in combination with a depiction, badge, or anything else (such as the black stallions famously bred by the Roaringhorn family) that would make a traveler think there was an association with the Roaringhorns.
Cormyr, like every other long-settled place, has several folk equivalents to our world’s Baron Munchausen, Casanova, and Squire Allworthy. These include Old Lord Roaringsides (a hunting, brawling, tirelessly-enduring lover of every female within reach, slayer of animals who devours them raw in the forest where he spears them or eats like sixteen men at a feast, belches loudly enough to knock nearby folk over, and so on), Lady Doom (an icily-sneering haunt of a gowned, gliding woman who sails through walls and locked doors without hindrance, says nothing to most but whispers of doom to a few, and whose appearance presages misfortune or death), and Lord “Firetongue” Haubrynton (based on a non-noble knight of a different name who fought alongside King Duar, long ago, and had the same fiery speech; Lord Firetongue is a solemn, dignified noble of senior years who has fits in which he swears like a sailor, punches objectionable people, chases maids, plays pranks . . . and then reverts, apparently forgetting everything he’s done; whereas the real knight apparently really had no remembrance, the fictional Lord Firetongue is always depicted as slyly winking when he claims to have no knowledge of his “wild deeds”).

As for signage, inns, public stables, and taverns are required by law to have signs (lit by lanterns or some other means, such as magic, so as to be readable by night, except during instances where local authorities specifically decree otherwise, such as during a war) clearly visible thrusting out into the street.
Other businesses may choose to have such signs (and may be governed by local guild rules or trade agreements), and almost all do have signs, though not all businesses use out-thrust signboards; some, particularly crafters, have flush-to-the-wall signs mounted over their doors.
In all cases, the Crown (acting through local lords, or Purple Dragon commanders in rural areas where there is no local lord) has instant and final say over the size, shape, content, and location of all such signage (“location” in this usage really meaning “how much the sign thrusts out into or over the road, creating a hazard for high-loaded wagons and coaches”).
Yes, local heralds have a duty to inspect and order any necessary changes to all such signage (on the grounds of infringing on heraldry or misleading the public as to the nature of the business, NOT on grounds of “good taste”). The Heralds can override local heralds, who can in turn override the tastes of a local lord or his agents (so citizens have a route of appeal if their lord just doesn’t like giant carved wooden boots or candles hanging from chains out over the street he rides down, for instance). It would be foolish for most shopkeepers to pick a fight with their local lord (who has many ways of getting back at them, if he chooses), but there is a strict prohibition on local lords harming businesses or crafters by denying them one sign after another, and in the past, local lords have been removed and publicly disgraced for doing so (notably Onslur Gelnwood of Wheloon in the last few years of the reign of Rhigaerd I, and Caltath Malurt of Waymoot in the second year of Azoun IV’s rule).

The tax collectors and all traveling Crown officials and courtiers have clear, easy, and confidential channels through which to complain about bad beer and similar shortcomings in inns and taverns. (They can speak to any Purple Dragon barracks commander, any local lord or bailiff of a local lord, any War Wizard, or to the Desk of Justice in the Royal Court of Suzail. Everyone of these “complain to” persons can also make complaints from their own observations, or on behalf of any citizen.) All complaints are routed to the Desk of Justice, which is really a room rather than a desk, and has nothing at all to do with Black Robes or judicial proceedings.
Rather, it is a small band of undercover inspectors run by a Highknight (and escorted for safety by War Wizards and Highknights when it seems necessary) who have the power to close a kitchen or taps on the spot, and to confiscate or destroy food, yank Crown licenses, and effectively shut down a business for good, or for as long as it takes to fix it. They rarely have to do so, these days; their mere appearance awes many patrons and frightens most hostelry owners bone-white.
However, there aren’t specific amounts or qualities set down in laws; what the Desk is trying to prevent is poisonings, the serving of food or drink that will spread disease or make folk ill, and (on a daily basis, the most important and prevalent part of their work) DECEPTION.
If you are promised a tankard of ale, there is an expectation that the tankard will be large enough to have a handle you can fit all of the fingers of your hand through, and that the tankard will descend at least two fingers below that handle and at least one finger above, in terms of the depth of interior space in the tankard that can be filled with drink, AND that said space is wide enough that all of fingers of your hand, squeezed together tightly, can be thrust down into that “hole.” (YES, that means that drinkers with huge hands should be given larger tankards, or given more ale in other containers, per drink paid for. For everyone, it means no miniature “toy tankards,” and no mugs that are only two inches deep, from lip to the “bell” [inside bottom].)
Similarly, if you are promised “mutton” or “goose eggs” or “ale from Arabel,” what you are served should be just that, and not something else passed off as what was promised.
In the ports of Suzail and Marsember, guilds are now forming or already exist to insist on, and try to enforce, strict labelling and precise identification of goods, so “Malaxan’s Best Brew” won’t be barrels of whatever Sembia sends labeled as such, but will always be beer actually brewed by the same guy called Malaxan, in the same place and to more or less the same recipe, and really be what he considers his “best,” and not “the mixed-bottom-barrel dregs slop Sembians won’t drink, so we’ll ship it to Cormyr, where all they can taste is horse-dung, so they’ll never know the difference.” (Which is why you can now buy really cheap, bitter, horrible ale called “Sembian Odds” at some dockside taverns; it really is mixed “odds and ends” from barrels, which is perfectly fine because it is identified as such.)

And finally, no direct taxes are levied on the sale of ale, wine and spirits to patrons in a tavern, but the businesses that produce such drinkables are taxed, both as businesses and a 1cp/barrel (up to 1 sp for the largest “tuns,” so making the barrel larger doesn’t allow a brewer to escape “the Crown’s take”). Small beer made at home is never taxed, and “local brews” are never taxed if they are drunk only by the owners or neighbors who may buy a tankard or pitcher. However, if drink is ever put into a barrel that is transported elsewhere (outside of town, as opposed to one street over in the same place), the “barrel tax” applies.
In Arabel, Marsember, and Suzail, ALL producers of “strong drink” (alcoholic beverages or “physics” and “cordials” [medicines]) are taxed, except for what they consume in their own house (i.e. the drinkers are their own family or guests). Individuals who try to elude tax by just running taverns or drinking clubs in their own homes quickly get visited by the Desk of Justice, the tax collectors, the Watch and everyone else (including War Wizards mind-reading them to determine their true intent and extent of their activities, because there’s an everpresent “wary watch” for smuggling), to tax them as businesses and hassle them out of such behaviour back into serving just themselves, family members, and a handful of dinner guests or overnight visitors.

Great questions, and you’re always welcome, Damian! May we both continue to enjoy the Realms for years upon years to come!

So saith Ed, creator of Cormyr and drinker of much ale.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 13 Jul 2008 19:03:04
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  19:20:11  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message
Great stuff! Wish more fantasy authors detailed their worlds so deeply and lovingly!
My question is about Ed's "non-drow" dark elf books. DARK WARRIOR RISING was a great yarn, and I hear the sequel (DARK VENGEANCE) is done and out in ARCs. Will there be a third? Or are negotiations and plans pending?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  19:23:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hmm. I think Ed and his editor (Brian Thomsen, who used to be head of Book Publishing for TSR) are still kicking ideas around, but I'll check, of course, and bring Ed's reply back to you.
Er, hello again, all.
More lore from Ed, this time in response to scribe althen artren: “Has Ed ever done anything with the Queen of Air and Darkness, or write up the Black Diamond, or create a comprehensive list of the gods of humanoid creatures, or did he use the Monster Mythology (one of my favorites)?”
Ed replies:

1. The Queen of Air and Darkness: yes. Currently covered by an NDA. Sorry.

2. No, that was another’s baby, and in staff hands at the time. It should indeed be written up, and I believe was (in brief, sketchy terms), but that’s hidden Wizards lore, not yet-to-be-published Ed Realmslore.

3. No, MONSTER MYTHOLOGY was published far too late for my use in designing the Realms. The published Realms has largely avoided “comprehensive” lists since, because designers always found it useful to create a new deity for this adventure or that back story. Until, of course, another designer expressed horror that we now had too many deities. :} Such is the “design cycle” that we Great Old Ones see, time and again. (No, I’m not a dread creature of the Cthulhu Mythos, though I have written about them. I’m a Secret Master of Gamin - - oops! FORMERLY-Secret Master of Gaming, and when you stay active in the industry for decades, you get the Great Old nickname.)

So saith Ed, who lies dreaming in lost R - - uh, in the book-filled basement of a farmhouse in a rural Ontario.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  19:37:21  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Spells stilled, all:

I was wondering, I am about to start gold prospecting as a new
hobby, and I was wondering if his area in Ontario looked promising
for the freelance gold prospector with friend, shovel, pan, and metal detector
Ed, have you ever done any recreational gold (or other materials)prospecting (if there are any good stories about it, PLEASE share!)

Edited by - althen artren on 13 Jul 2008 19:38:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000