Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  17:02:35  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message
Question for Ed;

It's been reported in several forums that the doom Halaster was seeking to prevent in Expedition to Undermountain was in fact the Spellplague. Was this the intent when the adventure was written, or was it decided to establish a connection after the fact?

I ask this because the references to the impending doom in EtU don't match up very well with the Spellplague. On page 8, it describes, "This disaster takes the form of a convergence of powerful arcane power moving in slow, inexorable unison with Undermountain. This arcane power moves into the same physical space as the dungeon Halaster has overseen, guarded, strengthened, and modified for so long. (His visions convey nothing of the nature of this arcane power, or the why and how of its movement.) Since Undermountain literally glows with numerous wards and countless localized spells, an explosive collision of these magics with the approaching arcane power would result in the collapse and destruction of most of Undermountain—in turn causing the city above to fall into the vast dungeon beneath, killing thousands upon thousands."

Obviously, nothing like this happened, and Waterdeep is relatively unscathed. Further, it seems that the collapse of the Weave wouldn't be a "collision" between some separate source of arcane power and Undermountain's magics; wouldn't it simply be Undermountain's magics going haywire all on their own?

Also, on page 188, it's said, "Recently, he performed a great service for a goddess of magic. To reward him, she stabilized his mind, which allowed him to devote almost all of his time to his master spell." Wouldn't both Mystra and Halaster know that no spell could stop the collapse of the Weave itself, especially if the goddess of magic has been killed?

Lastly, on page 193, it's said, "So, what was the doom that Halaster foresaw and tried so hard to defend against? We leave that mystery for DMs to determine, since they know best what might be a true and terrible threat for their campaign. Check out the upcoming Elder Evils supplement for ideas that may inspire a follow-up adventure to the events that took place in Undermountain."

This suggests that the threat wasn't of such Realms-Shaking importance that it needed to be firmly defined (or that it would even necessarily occur). And the suggested Elder Evils supplement as a follow-up doesn't contain anything Spellplague-related. So, was the idea of connecting the events of EtU to the Spellplague an after-the-fact decision?

Edited by - CylverSaber on 03 Aug 2008 17:05:23
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  22:17:13  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Oh, no, not a "What If" Realms split. If we go down that road, my poor piggy bank won't be able to keep up, to say nothing of my brain!
(How Ed keeps track of even half the Realmslore he generates, I don't know.)
Which means, of course , I'm here to nudge him to add to it again.
Weddings of non-noble, non-rich, non-military "just plain folks" citizens of Suzail, Ed and THO: do the happy couple wear anything that someone far down a street could recognize as identifying them as "bride" or "groom" or whatever the in-Realms terms are? What are honeymoons like? Any other customs (parades, feasts, gifts) you can tell us about?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  22:20:38  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I have a question that I want to ask now, but not have answered until the FRCG is released (if it answers me adequately, just say so, once the book is out).
How violent are the "swapping out" of some Faerunian lands with territory from Abeir?
(What I'm really asking is: could a non-PC, non-hero, non-magically-gifted shopkeeper, shepherd, or fisherman out in a boat live through some of these titanic events? Run around as their familiar surroundings disappeared, but somehow survive?
Thanks in advance,
BB

Edited by - Blueblade on 03 Aug 2008 22:21:34
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  03:12:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time I bring you another brief Realmslore reply from Ed, this one to these queries and speculations from Markustay: “First, a question, inspired by some of the above:
It occurs to me that in a magical world, one need not think in terms of 'traditional couplings' when it come to children. In fact, it's entirely possible that Elminster himself is a mother!
So, oh wise one of the Verdant Wood, have there been any children in Faerûn that had parents of the same sex?
It would also make for one helluva a story for Caladnei - if it didn't violate WotC's new 'morality clause'.”
Ed replies:

Markustay, it’s MORE than entirely possible that “Elminster himself is a mother.” However, NDA on who, how, when, where, and offspring.
And yes indeed, there have been children born to parents of the same gender. This is rare, and it is also NDA (sorry).
It would indeed “make for one helluva a story for Caladnei,” but as it happens, her story is different. And (ahem) NDA.
Sigh. There are times when “NDA” just has to come out of my mouth more often than any other word, acronym, or phrase. Sorry again, to all.

So saith Ed. And there you have it; another NDA by Ed regarding NDA and NDA, when what he’d REALLY like to say is NDA NDA NDA NDwheeA . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  04:01:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Nice.

I do have a doozy of a Geographic question (several related ones, actually), but I'll save it for a few days, seeing as how quickly I got that last response.

Instead I present another answer; this one for CylverSaber:

The Undermountain adventure, you will note, was written WITHOUT the Forgotten Realms logo, and is therefore 'Core'. Now certain events were extrapolated out of that and added to the GHotR as canon, but the adventure itself was written from the perspective that a person could drop it into any setting, with a few minor alterations.

Ergo, the 'doom' Halaster forsaw was left generic enough for any DM, not just an FR one, but when 'translated' into FR terms, what he saw coming was an Arcane disaster that would cripple Undermountain's mythal, and he took certain steps to prevent that. He did not know the details of the disaster, or that Mystra would die, because if he did, he would have most certainly warned her.

BTW, the details about Mystra curing Halaster can be had in the very excellent Elminster in hell.

Lets just say even Asmodeus found the level of Halaster's madness 'stunning'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Aug 2008 04:04:05
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  14:12:49  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message
Hi there. It was recommended that I move this here from where I'd originally posted it in "Sages of Realmslore."

Cheers,

Christopher
---

I think I've got a pretty good handle on adventuring charters as they've worked before and as they now work under Foril, but I'm wondering if the actual wording of a adventuring charter has ever appeared in an official supplement or novel. I'm also curious about their actual appearance. I'm big into props for my group and want to work one up for them as we're playing the Realms conversion of the Keep on the Shadowfell.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  17:30:28  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed have any of your creations has run-ins with Inevitables, are there any ongoing feuds with these beings and any groups/individuals in faerun in 1370's?

Before the orcgates were opened, who did the original faerunian orcs worship?
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  20:36:17  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
Instead I present another answer; this one for CylverSaber:

The Undermountain adventure, you will note, was written WITHOUT the Forgotten Realms logo, and is therefore 'Core'. Now certain events were extrapolated out of that and added to the GHotR as canon, but the adventure itself was written from the perspective that a person could drop it into any setting, with a few minor alterations.

Ergo, the 'doom' Halaster forsaw was left generic enough for any DM, not just an FR one, but when 'translated' into FR terms, what he saw coming was an Arcane disaster that would cripple Undermountain's mythal, and he took certain steps to prevent that. He did not know the details of the disaster, or that Mystra would die, because if he did, he would have most certainly warned her.

But the thing is, as in the passage I quoted, he did have some fairly specific details about the disaster and the effect that it would have on Waterdeep and Undermountain, and they didn't match the eventual Spellplague. Of course this can be creatively explained away, but the discrepancy does make me wonder about the original intent.

quote:
BTW, the details about Mystra curing Halaster can be had in the very excellent Elminster in hell.

Lets just say even Asmodeus found the level of Halaster's madness 'stunning'.

Thanks, I think I will pick that up!
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2008 :  01:12:46  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed are there Tome Dragons in faerun, from Dragon issue 343. Any such dragons of note in your world or alternate plane that is known to those in faerun.

Edited by - createvmind on 05 Aug 2008 05:18:08
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2008 :  21:45:49  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Spells Stilled, Scribes:
Hey Ed,

Has there been any discussion at all about a short story or novel
series based on the Knights and their fighting in the
Cormanthor War against the Zhentilar and the Drow of Elven Court
I think this would be an absolutely great read, and a great look
of Myth Drannor after the Last Mythal series.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  01:51:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all!
althen artren, Ed sent me a reply to you straight away:

Yes, there has be some discussion, but I'm not at liberty yet to say what conclusions were reached, other than these factors: I will never tire of writing about the Knights (and have always had a soft spot for Myth Drannor, one of my favorites among my creations [with "mythals" being another], but there have been strong pressures for me to get back to writing fiction about Elminster - - and, of course, the "time shift" between the 3e Realms and the 4e Realms makes stories set in the "new" Realms a higher priority than tales set in the old.
However, it's too early to give you a reply that's anything like definitive on this, yet. I have about forty people and places I desperately want to write about, in the Realms, and unless I can somehow convince Wizards (and my wife and family) to let me write and get published four Realms novels a year, I'm never going to get to do even half of them, before I die of old age or ill health or mischance or my own stupidity. :}
As Pink Floyd first sang in my youth:
"And you run and you run to catch up with the sun
But it's sinking, and racing around to come up behind you again"
. . . and so on.
Wish me luck, everyone. And give me Spin A Yarn story elements each year that allow me the opportunity to do some serious Yarns, as Realmslore-full short stories, not just joke-fests.

So saith Ed. I hope many GenCon-bound scribes will read and heed that last line!
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 06 Aug 2008 16:07:30
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  03:57:32  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
I will be friont and center for the Spin a Yarn, if I do get a chance to give a suggestion.....

Is there anything that Ed wishes I would put forth? Anything that he is ready to pounce all over , but has never had come up in previous years?

I love the previous Spin a Yarns irreverant sense of fun first, but would gladly put forth a very important suggestion behalf of Myself and all of the Scribes here at Candlekeep.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 06 Aug 2008 03:59:44
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  04:52:54  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Sadly no Gencon for me this year due to birth of daughter last month but we'll be there when she gets a bit older to join in on the festivities once again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  16:06:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
To The Red Walker: Ed really doesn't want to try to influence what anyone in the audience suggests, other than following the rules (no real world named people or racial, ethnic, or national groups, no named real world places, no real world trademarked things, and no toys primarily belonging to other writers; e.g. Drizzt or Danilo and Arilyn, though Elaith IS fair game) and hopefully giving him stuff to work with that isn't TOO offensive or way-out (and believe me, Ed can handle more way-out than most writers!).

However, having talked this over with him in the past, I know he'd love to include one or more of the Knights (Rathan and Torm?) or Mirt, or Azoun and Filfaeril (remember their lovely little slanging matches in the Realmslore web-columns?), or Alusair, or . . . YOU know; Ed-created Realms characters we'd all love to see more of.
Have fun at the con!
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 06 Aug 2008 16:08:02
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  16:44:33  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
"but there have been strong pressures for me to get back to writing fiction about Elminster "

Personally, I'd love to read more adventures of him. But it would be truly unfortunate if Wizards (which I assume are the ones doing the pressuring) got the idea that you're best pigeonholed into writing about Elminster.

Edited by - RodOdom on 06 Aug 2008 16:45:46
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  18:08:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Which is why I look forward to Ed's Golarion contributions far more then anything set in 4e.

I think things are being 'over-steered' as of late, and its beginning to really show in the authors work (not just Ed's). A lot of endings that just seemed to be "force-fitted" into the book that have little to do with the plot or action - almost as if the author is writing the story they want, but including someone's else's details.

yeah... it really does show... big time.

Anyhow, thanks again for all the latest answers, and I look forward to the spin-a-yarn 2007 when WotC posts it. Hope Ed really enjoys this year's Gencon - I had to change my plans as well, but hopefully there's next year.

Still holding off, though, on asking for those geographic clarifications.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Aug 2008 18:09:19
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  19:12:09  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Which is why I look forward to Ed's Golarion contributions far more then anything set in 4e.

I think things are being 'over-steered' as of late, and its beginning to really show in the authors work (not just Ed's). A lot of endings that just seemed to be "force-fitted" into the book that have little to do with the plot or action - almost as if the author is writing the story they want, but including someone's else's details.

yeah... it really does show... big time.

Anyhow, thanks again for all the latest answers, and I look forward to the spin-a-yarn 2007 when WotC posts it. Hope Ed really enjoys this year's Gencon - I had to change my plans as well, but hopefully there's next year.

Still holding off, though, on asking for those geographic clarifications.

I think you hit the nail right on the head there Mark.

I thought I was just growing disinterested of the Realms in the last few years, but thinking back, it *does* seem that the books were getting more boring, with endings that provided less "punch" than the FR books I read in the 90's.

For me, the first (and worst!) FR book disappointment I got (and I mean it: I remember reading through the books with a puckered face, and my wife asked: "did you just suck on a lemon or something?") was with the Return of the Archmages trilogy. This was the first time (but not the last, nuff said...) that I really felt let down by the Realms. Earlier stuff was always gold, more or less (ok, some silvers here and there), but I've grown to accept bronze FR books these days...

El in Hell and El's Daughter were shining beacons in a sea of mediocrity. I hope Ed keeps writing in the Realms, pre-Spellplague if possible...
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  03:23:15  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
I too notice the books of late are lacking "something". Other than the Undead trilogy, it seems the bad guys with all their power and planning go 'gently into that good night.'

Ed have you always written with the good guys winning, was this something the company stressed or did you have a choice?

Speaking of Elaith, does he take precautions to prevent the women he dabbles with from concieving or keeps tabs on those who do?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  03:36:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
createvmind,
When TSR first started publishing the Realms, they had a strict Code of Ethics: in all their published fiction, the good guys HAD to win, evildoers could never be shown to profit from their evil deeds, and no specific real-world "shady techniques" (how to break into a place, how to strangle someone) could be described. And so on.
In the early days, the results of this disgusted some readers (why the Zhentarim so "Keystone Kops" incompetent?), but it was the Way It Was.
Over the years since, there have been various codes applied by Wizards (and now by Hasbro), governing what can and can't appear in Realms fiction and game design. Moreover, you can't read a word of Realms fiction that hasn't been read, edited, and approved by an in-house editor (which is only sensible; it avoids having something horrible slipped into print maliciously or by accident in a printers' mixup).
So Ed has always had to write under such restrictions, yes.
In the old days, when things went at a much slower pace (at the company end, anyway; Ed always seemed to be racing along writing tons of stuff), Ed used to write detailed sex scenes for his books purely for fun (to be read aloud in the publishing cubicles for the amusement of all, with both Ed and the editors knowing beforehand they'd be "cut" and never appear in print. However, Ed has less time now, and there's been personnel turnover at the editorial end; Ed has no interest at all in embarrassing or upsetting an editor who wouldn't find reading such sex scenes to be fun.
So I alone get to read them, now.
Ah, I'm such a naughty girl. Whip me, someone . . .
(please?)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  03:42:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
To Christopher Rowe,
Hi. Ed describes the signing and public proclamation of an adventuring charter (the Knights' charter) in SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR, the first Knights of Myth Drannor book. I know he has prepared at least six actual charters, but I believe they're NDA (owned by Wizards and not yet published), and I also think he's posted in the past (perhaps here, perhaps in a Wizards website article) about their physical form. Sage? Wooly? Kuje? Help!
In the meantime, I'll go looking to see if I have anything in my players' notes (almosy three decades' worth, so this may take me some time!).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  04:00:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Are you referring to this reply, my Lady?:-

"March 19, 2007: Hi, all. This time responds to MaxKaladin’s query: “I was wondering if Ed could tell us what sort of things one might find in an adventuring company charter. Also, has Ed ever actually written up a charter?”

Ed replies:

I’ve written eight charters that I can recall, but all now belong to TSR (Wizards of the Coast), and I can’t reproduce them here without permission.

So let me just run through the basics: usually written on the best vellum or parchment, signed by the issuer (usually a ruler, but sometimes a Lord Marshal, Grand Vizier, or other lofty officer of the Court specifically empowered to grant charters - - and because not every reader may know this, the charter will always specifically say so, e.g. this century-old Chessentan example: “Expressly empowered by His Majesty Harhoun the Exalted to grant a charter of the right to bear arms within the territories and protectorates of”) AND also bearing a royal or Court seal or Herald-witnessed (in writing, on the charter) rune, and will always contain a roster of members of the company [so if your name isn’t on it, you aren’t covered by it; though note that many charters contain an “alljack” name (a modern American might say a “John Doe pseudonym”) that any new or trial member assumes so that they’re covered; typical Faerûnian ones include “Jack-of-Blades” and “Harl Amendall”].

Each charter usually begins with something along the lines of: “Know ye all, by this good and true document, that the bearers are entitled by the Crown of [[place]] to bear arms within the lands under our writ and hand.”

From this beginning, the charter may well exhaustively list all such lands, and will always specify the name of the company and “spell out” the rights, privileges, and obligations it confers upon the adventurers.

Then will follow the roster of the company, each name customarily bearing beside it a signature, personal rune, or mark (even if it’s just an “X”) signifying that the named being has agreed to the charter, and the “authority” (the signing, seal or rune, witnessing, and explanation). This should present a polite but firm threat that messing with these adventurers means messing with the authority of the ruler and accepted civilized behavior (“as witnessed by Heralds of note and standing”) everywhere, so “consider and conduct thyself accordingly.”

Some rulers, especially in the Shining South, have engraved such charters on metal plaques, shields, or even swords, but the practice somehow never “catches on” to achieve widespread acceptance.

So saith Ed.

Who wrote us up a beautiful charter that is so personal that I think I’ll keep it to myself. It brings a warm smile to my face whenever I read it.

love to all,
THO"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Aug 2008 04:07:45
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  11:42:46  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Ah, I'm such a naughty girl. Whip me, someone . . .
(please?)

Alas, I don't think even Loviatar has one long enough to reach Canada from the East of England <sigh>

Edited by - arry on 07 Aug 2008 11:43:20
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  15:13:44  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
I too hope that Ed sticks to writing about the Harpers, the Knights, people in that Era. You know, the Realms, rather then this work of mediocrity from lesser men.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  16:10:24  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I think THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS (the third and last Knights of Myth Drannor book) is the last novel Ed has a contract with Wizards for. One hopes they're busy trying to grab his services to write many more books, but with the current hidden WotC agenda, who knows?
I do know Ed has a story in WORLDS OF THEIR OWN (comes out at GenCon from Paizo) and novel series with two other publishers (the dark elf Niflheim books with Tor, and the Falconfar trilogy with Solaris).
I'd like to see that dream list of Ed's ALL done as novels by him, myself.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  16:51:16  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message
Hey, thanks for the information THO and Sage (and filtering on back to Ed Greenwood)!

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  17:19:27  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Spells stilled, Scribes:

Another thing that I would like Ed to do would be a romp/adventure tale
in the area of National Treasure/DaVinci code where hidden symbolism, enciphering,
and mad-cap travels all around Faerun in dangerous locations like hidden Aryvandaar research ruins, Netheril enclave dungeons, Imasker wizard labs, and maybe a sarruhk or four. Not quite
a RSE but something that would definitly alter the balance of power in somebody's favor like the Zhentilar or the Twisted Rune or somebody secretive like Shaaar or Hesperdan.
That would be a "coolness" factor of X4, (not like the Hasbro propaganda "cool"
in their podcasts.)

What do you think Ed? Could you if allowed deliver something completely filled with several
culture's symbolism with a manic page-turning "I CAN'T wait to see what happens to ....."
(Started watching National Treasure 2 last night, that's why the question, GREAT adventure
flick.)
Go to Top of Page

Venomus
Acolyte

Poland
13 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  20:54:55  Show Profile Send Venomus a Private Message
Hi all.
To Ed: (becouse I see that Eric L. Boyd isn't around for some time):

1. Tell me, is the almighty Lord of Bones, Myrkul will be brought back to life in the official storyline? I'a a big fan and I think it's about time to use the Crown of Horns...

2. Speaking of which... could you tell me where is the Crown now? After that half- yuan-ti took it to Skullport?

3. Horned Harbringers...how many is them in Faerun, and could you give some of them by name?

4. My favourite. I was wondering for a looong time about the History of the Dead Three (Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul) where they were mortals. In what year the'ye became Gods? What they were doing before they meet, where they lived? I always fought that Myrkul was one of Netheril archwizards that was banished (or just had abandonn) from the empire for practicing The Dark Arts...Could this be that, Larloch remember Myrkul from the times where they were both...humans? And where, on what conditions The Three of them meet?

Thaks, for replies and any kind of information...I'n my compaginn I'm doing an organization formed from Horned Harbringers, Myrkullites, and clerics (surviving) of Bhall and Bane. You see, that i need that informations :D

"Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient be sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me." - Myrkul

Edited by - Venomus on 07 Aug 2008 20:56:43
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  22:39:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Venomus

Hi all.
2. Speaking of which... could you tell me where is the Crown now? After that half- yuan-ti took it to Skullport?

The 3.5 Waterdeep sourcebook, least I think it was that one, contains info on what happened to the Crown. Note: It's no longer in Skullport. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 08 Aug 2008 01:19:31
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2008 :  01:03:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Venomus

Hi all.

The 3.5 Waterdeep sourcebook, least I think it was that one, contains info on what happened to the Crown. Note: It's not longer in Skullport. :)

Actually, I thought it was Serpent Kingdoms.

Nhyris no longer has the Crown of Horns as noted in Serpent Kingdoms -- pg. 143. Its current whereabouts and status are unknown.

The Crown isn't lost though -- Myrkul makes sure he/it is worn, so he willfully abandoned Nhyris to choose another host, IIRC.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 08 Aug 2008 01:03:57
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2008 :  01:27:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Actually, I thought it was Serpent Kingdoms.

Nhyris no longer has the Crown of Horns as noted in Serpent Kingdoms -- pg. 143. Its current whereabouts and status are unknown.

Yea guess it was SK but the reference is also mentioned in Waterdeep. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000