Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  23:21:50  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all. A reply of sorts from me to Jamallo Kreen this time, re. the Dungeon of Swords:
It's one of those places in the Realms that was developed by others in a different direction than Ed's original.
Which I recall as having a large, square-cross-section shaft (descending about 700 feet or so) with magical swords floating in it that attacked anyone descending over the lip of the shaft (from the underground tomb that opened into it). Treasure levels of the dungeon opened off the sides of the shaft at much deeper levels. A NASTY place, but we did end up with some powerful enchanted blades as treasure, once we learned how to control them. The canon version, however, may be quite different.
love,
THO

700 feet?! Oy! I'm gonna get writer's cramp trying to reproduce this!

As I think I have said elsewhere, I am using the demon-creation rules from the d20 Elric game to create a swarm of swords. Each of them will be slightly different, but they'll all be deadly.

Thank you, dear Lady.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  23:47:57  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks Kuje
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  00:29:37  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Well Again Ed and THO

A few questions on the rural life of Cormyr, Sembia and the Dalelands.

1st part:
Do communities have agricultural shows and/or village fete's? If so are there any 'must see ones'? By that I mean a show that people are prepared to travel a goodly distance to attend (a few days travel or more), including bringing livestock to show?
Would there be any particular customs that are common across the region and customs specific to each show (to use an English example, you always get morris dancers no matter where you are in the country, but not always cheese rolling).

2nd part:
If someone is so rich that they couldn't spend their fortune in 10 lifetimes let alone one and they decide to build/extend their current country estate with the addition of grand formal gardens, including acres of lawn, avenues of trees, fountains, growhouses for exotics, arbours, promonades, massive herbacious borders etc etc, who would they go to? Is there a 'Lancelot "Capability" Brown' or two who undertake such monumental landscaping tasks?
How much influence would priests of the nature gods and/or Harpers have on such a project? (sticking their cudgel/harp in or letting it go with just a watchful eye to ensure no permananet ecological damage is done?)

If someone was new to this wealth (adventurere/inherited wealth etc) where are the 'hotspots' to buy their grand estate within Cormyr, Sembia and/or the Dalelands (c. 1370DR or so).

Thank you

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Agnitio Veridicus
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  05:22:54  Show Profile  Visit Agnitio Veridicus's Homepage Send Agnitio Veridicus a Private Message
quote:

Ed replies:
Okay, bearing in mind that this is a hypothetical query, if I was running Wizards/TSR/Realms fiction publishing, the "century jump" for 4e wouldn't have happened, so I could squeeze in more stories of the Realms circa the 1370s.
I would first have highlighted Mirt the Moneylender in his own book. Then Alustriel, in a political intrigue book to show "life in Silverymoon." Then back to Cormyr to do the same for Alusair (1 book), then Vangey (1 book), then Myrmeen Lhal (1 book), then Caladnei (1 book). Then Storm would get her own adventuring book (as a Harper 'den mother,' not as a Chosen. THEN I'd do a "what it's really like to be a Chosen" book, probably centered on Dove.
Then I'd spotlight Durnan and Halaster, in a Waterdeep-set book. Then I'd turn to my NEXT dozen or so most pressing ideas...

Those all sound like excellent book ideas, and I can assure you I would read every single one.

-- Agnitio
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  06:47:19  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

Goodness gracious me! What a reply! Thank you!

(I apologize in advance for any missing capitals, my keyboard is slowly dying. I fear too much World of Warcraft has taken a toll on my left shift key, which is the one i mainly use to capitalize letters... it only works intermittently at the moment. *sigh8 I may not correct them all in my "editing pass" of the post.)

quote:

Ed replies:

Okay, let’s run through these in order, as much as possible. I’d not call the Women of the Wood “peaceful.” They’re actively trying to avenge their wronged members, remember, so they are conducting night raids, swindles, rumor-spreading, and the like to do that. Essentially they’re a bandit gang that has no general quarrel with the government, only with certain male citizens. They hide in the forest because, as you surmise, that’s where they know the Women already are, and they’re seeking safety in numbers. The Women started out hiding in The King’s Forest because certain of their early members (who had troubles with nobles, powerful courtiers, and rich and ruthless merchants) literally could not think of anywhere inside Cormyr, their homeland that they did NOT want to leave, where their various nemeses wouldn’t be able to easily track them down.

Ooh, sounds intriguing. I assume that some (most?) of these vendettas go both ways? I would imagine the Women have had to elude or deal with assassins and other hire swords sent after them? Cormyr is not exactly a big place, I can't see how they'd be able to avoid such attempts on their lives forever. Getting back towards queries that may help my campaign, are there any men amongst the high hunt that might have something against one or more of the women? i think I could use something like that to complicate matters for the party. Nothing like wheels within wheels to give the PCs a headache!

quote:
Most of those joining the Women, even today (unless it’s the dead heart of a harsh winter, when very few dare to run away from hearthfires or other warm shelter), blossom swiftly in the woods into a love of freedom from etiquette and daily cares and fusses, and the simpler life of enjoying the surroundings and just gathering food (water and bathing are never problems). It’s generally believed that the Purple Dragons and War Wizards GENERALLY turn a blind eye to the Women (and this is true, or they’d not exist at all in the Cormyr of “today”), so women running off to join them feel there is some security in the woods. Some do try to “go it alone,” but fear of rape, robbery, and perhaps being eaten by wild beasts, and apprehension over being ignorant in woodlore, drive most women into joining the Women (there have even been young lads who have dressed as females so as to gain the security of the group, though in most cases they were thrust out, as potential spies sent by the particular men various Women were running from, the moment their gender was discovered).
Some Women do return to “everyday” Cormyr outside The King’s Forest, usually when their oppressors have died or circumstances have otherwise changed so they don’t feel in the same danger, or unhappiness. (Sometimes a humbled former oppressor is a very different man. The husband who used to beat his wife bloody and/or force himself on her constantly, who is now ailing, weak, and bedridden, may cease to be a threat - - particularly to a wife who returns to nurse him as a confident, bold person who will no longer take his abuse even if he dared attempt it.)

Okay, have there been any men in spell bolstered disguise (ie: using polymorph) who tried to gain access to the group. it occurs to me that if some male of magical talent (or one with deep enough pockets to aquire a magical item substitute for polymorph or even just alter self) might be able to get back at a Woman he has a grudge against by simply infiltrating them that way, waiting for the right moment and then "pouncing" (whether that means killing her or kidnapping her or worse).

quote:
As for males not trying the same thing: it’s easier for a man to join the Purple Dragons and request a posting far away across the realm, or run off to become a sailor - - or head for the Hullack or the Stonelands to become a “wild outlaw.” There are many independent-minded shepherding families and hermit-like individuals dwelling in subsistence-level existences on the Cormyr-side slopes of the Thunder Peaks, and showing up occasionally in the caravan-road villages and waystops to make a few coins by selling fleece, arrowheads they’ve made, and semi-precious stones they’ve chipped from rocks. Young Cormyrean males are also more likely than young females, for some reason (probably they are more willing to break family ties), to leave the realm entirely to seek happier lives elsewhere.

Do you mean to say that it is easier for a man to join the Purple Dragons than women, or do you mean they're more likely to see it as a way out of a bad situation? I am leaning towards the latter, though the hardships of life in the woods would be almost equal to the hardships of military life in some ways. (Note I have no experience of living in the wild or serving in the military - in this I have to rely on my imagination! )

quote:
The tendency of the nobility and royalty is to favour the first born son, yes (though I worded my reply carefully to point out that the rules vary in details for almost every family). If Foril had been the second born and survived, with Tanalasta as older sister, he would indeed have been named Crown Prince upon attaining his “fitness for rule” (age of majority, in Cormyr’s case 13, unless he was deemed mentally “slow”), but she would have been Queen (with whomever she married styled “consort”). In other words, the “Crown Prince” or “Crown Princess” title means “designated heir.” The moment Tanalasta had produced a child, of either gender, that progeny would be the heir, and would precede Foril in the line of lawful succession. They would also, upon reaching their majority, been styled Crown Prince or Princess, and each successive child born of Tanalasta would have pushed Foril back a step farther in his claim to the throne.
Note that I’m speaking of law, here, and not “the right [ahem] of force;” as we’ve seen in what Jeff and I outlined of Cormyr’s past in our novel, Cormyr is not immune to the greedy and ruthlessly aambitious seeking to seize the throne with the backing of various self-serving nobles. (It would be accurate to say that Cormyr’s royal history has been shaped and is typified by a succession of sieges and assaults on the Dragon Throne by various noble cabals, families, and issue-based alliances.)

There are always exceptions. *nods* Are there any noble families in cormyr that seem more inclined to have matriarchs than patriarchs? curiosity, here, more than anything else... I won't be upset if there are none, promise!

quote:

Yes, there is some bias against women in Cormyr, but it’s more that they can’t physically get their hands on family funds, or physically thrash and defeat an abusive spouse, that drives them to seek other means to guard their slighted rights. Remember, Cormyr has no lawyers per se, and the Watch are primarily concerned with preventing violent crimes and keeping order on the streets, not “charging into homes” to settle domestic disputes (because if there’s one thing nobles who fulminate at Court hate more than anything else, it’s ANY move by the Crown or its agents to be able to charge into THEIR homes for any reason whatsoever, and the best way to get the Crown to agree to that hands-off approach is to claim it for ALL Cormyreans, so the nobles can’t be seen to be (or accused of being) claiming “special privileges” for themselves.

ugh... that's ugly. More ugly than I'd expect from Cormyr, actually. Would I be right in assuming that a person of either gender would be pretty much sure of getting help if they were mugged or raped in the street, but if it was in the home, and especially if the crime was committed by a relative... well they're on their own?

quote:
People across Cormyr, male and female, do indeed know that if they need help, they can contact the Harpers. It’s not commonly done (so, last resort), and it’s not usually because Harpers are travelling openly in the realm. It’s because the Harpers long ago spread stories with various tavernmasters and innkeepers, as well as local heralds and certain “local lords” (judging each of the latter by their character before making the approach) that anyone in such-and-such a place can ‘leave word for’ the Harpers, to arrange a meeting or “surprise Harper visit” by speaking certain words at the bar of this tavern at a certain time, or at this particular well or market stall, or so on. In other words, word is left, some undercover local spy for the Harpers who is overlooking the leaving of the word identifies the person asking for the Harpers, and a Harper finds that person in a time and place where they don’t think it’s a “catch a Harper” trap, to talk to them about their needs. Harpers constantly watch over and often aid the Women in the Woods, because they long ago decided that the Women were a Good Thing or at least a Good Response to Distressing Necessity.

The Harpers seem to have quite a lot of interest in Cormyr. How much is Cormyr's current benevolence is due to their interference? I'm sure they've had some effect.

Are there any Harper agents within the Women of the Woods, or have there been any among the Women who later went on to become Harpers?

quote:

We would all like to know more about events in Cormyr between the time covered in THE GRAND HISTORY OF THE REALMS and the “Year Zero” of the 4e Realms books, but your suspicion as to how it will be officially handled is, I believe, right on (with the exception of a LITTLE more than the bare succession timeline seen in that Background web article; certain Cormyr scribes are working secretly on this). So yes, you can go your own way - - and yes, it’s a pity we won’t see more of Caladnei. As to riding off into legend with Alusair . . . we’ll just have to see. (As I said, certain scribes are . . . ahem.)

It seems like they introduced her not that long ago, and now she's been got rid of... And they've gone back to a male Mage Royal. Myrmeen could have had a daughter, you know. *pouts*

quote:
If you were to adopt the 4e rules, I would make the “tiefling” Woman of the Woods essentially human, with fiendish features, yes. If 4e in the fullness of time presents us with something akin to “alu-fiends” and “cambions” (from earlier rules sets), feel free to jazz her up again. :} Myself, I’d present her from the outset as having innate talents of heightened smell, ability to “smell magic nearby,” move quietly and with great balance, and the always-operating ability to see keenly in dark or gloomy conditions (just to underscore that she’s “a little more than human”).

I'm a little hesitant to make stuff up for 4e yet, as I haven't really had much of a chance to actually play it and see how it balances. Until I know the rules a bit better those kinds of changes might be better off being cosmetic ones. (But I will keep those ideas in mind for when i am more comfortable with manipulating the system, thanks! I might even rebuild the tiefling race if I get bold enough. )

As for my campaign moving onto the 4e rules... Unfortunately, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the game is very well entrenched in the 3rd edition rules. Switching to 4e would be problematic anyway, since one of my players is convinced it's World of Warcraft on paper and refuses to have anything to do with it (he says it's not real DnD). When i run another campaign, I would love to use the 4e rules. I've even thrown around some ideas for converting several 3e era Realms NPCs as behind the scenes movers, shakers, and PC manipulators (Alusair as a Warlord, for example)... Because while i would love to switch to the 4e rules, I don't think I can make the 100 year jump to canon 4e Realms (that doesn't mean I won't look at what material I can get my hands on for ideas - but I'd be very reluctant to pay for it... My wallet is the only way I can show wizards just how upset I am by the jump to the future and what I can only describe as the ruination of the Realms - sorry ed, I just can't like it - not when everything that drew me to the realms in the first place is gone, and what has replaced it (with a single weak exception) has not interested me at all (and in some cases, actually enraged me).

quote:
Yes, although Delphaera would be the ideal “good hunting challenge,” as you judge, Maurara Thundersword seems the most likely next High Hunt victim.
<snip a bunch of really good ideas>

Some excellent suggestions. I'm chuckling evily to myself just reading them. I'll let you know how things go for the PCs when I manage to run a session (had another session cancelled last week... but should be on target for not this coming Saturday but the one after).

quote:
Cormyr and Elversult have friendly relations (if a trifle wary, on Elversult’s part; they’re always on the watch for attempts to covertly, usually through wealth and mercantile efforts, to take them over or dominate their decision-making). Yes, Elversult is indeed the sort of place the Crown might send an envoy.

*files the information away for future plots*

quote:
I’m not going to comment any farther (right now) about the end of the Steel Regency, because of some future possible plans re. saying more about this in another place, at another time. Beyond saying it has nothing to do with the genders of the principal characters involved, but about their personalities and the factional nature of Cormyrean politics. I think Damian (“crazed venturers”) stated things pretty well (in his post that begins “Well of course things are not right with her regency,” in the thread about the New Cormyr piece, in the WotC News and Releases section, here at the Keep [THO forwarded it to me]), if that’s hint enough.

I'll have to go find that thread and read it. I'm afraid I read far more over on the WotC forums than here for some reason. (I'm just lazy!)

quote:
I am in full agreement with you that there seem to be, from what we’ve seen thus far, “no women at all mentioned in positions of power,” and I agree with you that this is a blunder for a company seeking to attract new female gamers. I happen to know that the Brand Manager and Marketing areas of Wizards of the Coast are staffed by some very competent women, of accomplishment and strong character, so I’ll mention your concern to them and reference this post to underscore that this is a consumer’s opinion, not just my own. After all, the “babes in show armour” aren’t being retired as a marketing strategy, to hook the young males, so there’s no reason to spurn the still-largely-untapped market of females they have neglected to properly court in the past. I’m not (and never have been) in a decision-making position, but I can advise and cajole (and I do!). This is one “hobby horse” I’ll be proud to ride. (For one reason, if I’m told that females aren’t the target audience, I can remind them that strong female characters fascinate and attract males, and history shows us that they’ve done so for as long as recorded history exists.)

This is the company that gave us Astrid's Parlor, which was a step in the right direction to a certain extent. It would be good if you could put a bug in their ears about this, it wouldn't be good to see them take a step forward then take two or even three steps back.

quote:
Of course you’ll change “your” Realms to be whatever best suits your campaigns and style of play. Everyone does, and that’s just fine. As things diverge more widely from the published canon Realms, it makes more work for you as the DM, but that’s just the price for “having things your way,” which is a beauty of this game form that shouldn’t be sacrificed on that particular altar. As for the Spellplague: remember that mortals can NEVER know the truth about godly events, only the “accepted wisdom” taught by clergy and based on what the gods want their followers to think. So what has been written about the Spellplague thus far could be very wrong, and almost certainly has some details wrong. All that is known is that the Weave is gone, that Mystra has fallen silent, and that the collapse of the Weave caused a widespread (and still not entirely finished) calamity dubbed “the Spellplague.”
That’s all people dwelling in the Realms really know - - and of course, in your Realms, any or all of those three things might not have happened. Perhaps just some of the Chosen have disappeared, and there’s much strife among rival churches arguing about “something” that happened among the gods. Perhaps some lands did change, perhaps not.

I have some ideas what the "true story" is behind the spellplague, if I should happen to keep it as part of my timeline. I might post them up on my blog at some point. But I think I'd rather just continue the story of the current Realms without the unnecessary (in my opinion, of course) super-RSE.

It's more than the spellplauge though. There's far more that's been done to the Realms than I really think I should go into here. Lets just say all the NPCs and gods I liked were effected in one way or another (killed or changed to the point where they may as well be dead anyway).

quote:
And perhaps, in the future Cormyr, male nobles have become hunting/jousting/posing snobs and “upper-class twits” clinging to a world of pomp, pageantry, and the etiquette of yesteryear (duels, perhaps), while their far more practical (and exasperated) wives TRULY run things, running the business affairs of the families and making Lady-to-Lady agreements on what disputes to just set aside, when to collectively humour their men, and acting in concert (or in strong, opposed factions) at court to influence Crown decisions and in truth lead and shape life in Cormyr. Boy, as a ham-actor DM, I could have fun with that conception! All of the monacle-dropping, large-moustache-quivering, sneering and prancing grander-than-thou Lords, and their gently-sighing, steering-them Ladies . . .

*chortles*

quote:
And I know your Alusair as Queen question is hypothetical and must be taken with the usual other-factors-we-can-only-guess-at caveats, but in my opinion (as, ahem, the creator of Cormyr and Alusair), I think she would have reigned as a female version of Azoun IV: lots of energy, fearless in battle as loved by her soldiery for it, cheerfully bedding men in all directions whenever she felt like it (though in her case, I’d say a few women, too), impetuous and dismissive-of-tedious-pomp and bureaucracy, but willing to listen to advisers she trusts, and mellowing into an increasingly-strong monarch. I can also see her as being better than her father in regards to the succession, ruthlessly dealing with nobles and even treacherous kin as she ages, to produce a situation where there is a clear heir, a protected spare, and loyal courtiers and nobles dedicated to transferring rule to her successor peacefully, swiftly, and surely. Alusair may have been a brat in her youth, but she became the greatest ruler Cormyr never had (of the Obarskyrs; a strong case could be made for many of the Royal Mages having a better claim to that particular title than any Obarskyr).

Now that's a Cormyr I'd have liked... Not that I don't like the current Cormyr anyway, but... Well I think you know what I mean.

quote:
1. I’m afraid I can’t really say much about the fate of Caladnei yet. There’s a nice new NDA on this one. I or another Realms creator will reveal Caladnei’s fate as soon as we best can.

Hmmm... Why do I suddenly feel wary...

quote:
2. I’m trying to avoid saying much about the 4e Realms until I have a good heart-to-heart with certain folks at Wizards, but I don’t think it does great harm to consider that Ganarahast is the son of Myrmeen and Vangerdahast, not a grandson or nephew or something else.

Right. I had a sinking feeling that was so. The ratio of men to women falls so close to 50/50 that it may as well be 50/50, and yet it seems nearly every person who counted in the Realms had male children... Tymora must have been smiling.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

andmnk
Acolyte

Poland
8 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  15:53:28  Show Profile Send andmnk a Private Message
Hello. I've got a question on kenkus of Faerun. There's very little information on them. Where do they live? What's their culture and folklore.? How do their habitats look like (both in human and kenku communities). Where are the largest kenku communities on Toril?

Edited by - andmnk on 31 Jul 2008 16:29:47
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  22:30:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring you Ed's response to this query, from Sage of Stars: "Lovely Lady THO and Ed, do nobles of Cormyr ever have “dress up” ceremonial occasions where they would wear robes, coronets, etc. to denote their ranks? I’m thinking of regalia controlled by heralds, not just a fashion show."
Ed replies:

Yes, indeed. Attendance at Court whenever there's to be an investiture, nobles are going to sit in judgement on anything or anyone (such as a fellow noble accused of crimes), any Obarskyr is going to be given a title (and the feast/ball afterwards), at royal christenings and crownings (and the feast/ball after, again), and so on. There are nobles who LOVE to wear their regalia, and do so every chance they get . . . and others who prefer to show their casual regard for the Obarskyrs or the life at Court by wearing hunting gear . . . as well as everything in between.

So saith Ed. Who as I recall has portrayed nobles of all of those shades in our 'home' Realmsplay.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  22:38:36  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Ed and Lovely THO,
I know that Ed can think of dozens of ways of making a 3e Realms-era character survive into the 4e Realms era, but I wonder if I can slyly ask if Ed has thought such thoughts, and acted on them?
BB
Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  22:39:38  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message
Well, you can slyly ASK, but . . .
Go to Top of Page

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  22:41:46  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
Ed and THO,
Thanks for the speedy reply. One addendum: is it a social faux pas, or worse, for a noble to wear "part" of their regalia (i.e. robes but not coronet, coronet but not robes, etc.)?
Thank you again.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  23:44:10  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar
The Harpers seem to have quite a lot of interest in Cormyr. How much is Cormyr's current benevolence is due to their interference? I'm sure they've had some effect.
Quite a bit, actually.

Vangerdahast, on his sweeping into Cormyr in 1306 and purging the War Wizards, received a great deal of help from the Harpers in rooting out the disloyal among the fold and learning who was truly loyal to the Harpers (and, therefore, could be implicitly trusted).
quote:
It seems like they introduced her not that long ago, and now she's been got rid of... And they've gone back to a male Mage Royal. Myrmeen could have had a daughter, you know. *pouts*
Caladnei's is a far more tragic and poignant story than what's even been glimpsed thusfar in print. Given the chance and page-space to do so, I (and I'm sure, Ed, too) would love to explore Caladnei's story more deeply and get into the various details of her life and the end of her tenure as Mage Royal.

As for Ganrahast, that was actually my decision; if you like, you can blame that one on me. It could have gone either way, honestly, but I had far more interesting stories I could tell about a male heir to Vangerdahast's (and Caladnei's) mantle than a female one [This isn't a general statement about male characters being more interesting; in this particular case, there were too many stories too ripe for telling]. I promise: as soon as I'm able to tell any of them, I will.
quote:
Right. I had a sinking feeling that was so. The ratio of men to women falls so close to 50/50 that it may as well be 50/50, and yet it seems nearly every person who counted in the Realms had male children...
Ahh, but you're making the assumption that the people that are mentioned are the only ones that counted. To use Cormyr as an example, since that's the topic at hand: what about Laspeera’s children? Dauneth Marliir’s? Krystin Lhal (Myrmeen's adoptive daughter)’s? Giogi and Cat Wyvernspur’s? Narnra’s? To say nothing of Glarasteer Rhauligan or Emthrara Undril, or poor Lareth Gulur of the Cormyr Saga. I am not saying that all of these children are male, or female, or even that those listed had children. But they're certainly important enough among Cormyr's "present-day" to be counted.

It's perfectly understandable to assume that the only important characters are those mentioned in the first pass about a region. I also think it's something of a mistake. Cormyr has a great many positions of tremendous power: Royal Sage Most Learned, Warden of the Eastern Marches, Court Wizard--which is officially a separate post from Royal Magician--Commander of High Horn, and several local Lordships, to say nothing of secret but no-less-important appointments as Highknights or War Wizards.

Cormyr, as currently presented, shows woefully few female characters. I won’t argue that point. But what is shown is not all that is. The skimming of the surface we’ve seen isn’t nearly the breadth or depth of Cormyrean femininity. There’s much more to be shown, and seen, if we get the opportunity for a little ‘peek and ponder’ in the Forest Kingdom.

More things to discuss with Ed in Indianapolis. Hmm…
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  01:01:35  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal
Quite a bit, actually.

Vangerdahast, on his sweeping into Cormyr in 1306 and purging the War Wizards, received a great deal of help from the Harpers in rooting out the disloyal among the fold and learning who was truly loyal to the Harpers (and, therefore, could be implicitly trusted).

Ah... that does make sense. I feel as if Cormyr is probably a little "project" for the Harpers. One shining example for the rest of the Realms - at least until Lururar (did I spell that right?) was created... And even beyond that, I suppose. 4th Edition Realms would have us think of the kingdom as that shining example still.

quote:
Caladnei's is a far more tragic and poignant story than what's even been glimpsed thusfar in print. Given the chance and page-space to do so, I (and I'm sure, Ed, too) would love to explore Caladnei's story more deeply and get into the various details of her life and the end of her tenure as Mage Royal.

Blah... You're not inspiring confidence here, you know. It sounds like something bad happens to her that ends her tenure (maybe the spellplague drives her mad, in part due to her closeness to magic as a natural wielder of it (a sorcerer), or perhaps it strips her magical ability all together. (I'm not sure which would be a worse end, to be honest. The latter would be like loosing a sense (particularly sight, hearing, or the sense of touch), and in my opinion that is a fate worse than death.)

quote:
As for Ganrahast, that was actually my decision; if you like, you can blame that one on me. It could have gone either way, honestly, but I had far more interesting stories I could tell about a male heir to Vangerdahast's (and Caladnei's) mantle than a female one [This isn't a general statement about male characters being more interesting; in this particular case, there were too many stories too ripe for telling]. I promise: as soon as I'm able to tell any of them, I will.

Well I would probably disagree with your reasoning, because unless you're planning a romance* for the Royal Mage with a female member of the Orbarskyr family (or maybe a noble family, or perhaps an evil woman who tries to manipulate him or whatever), it only takes a small amount of stretching the imagination to be able to adapt a story to either gender. You obviously have an idea of this character, so I'm not going to remonstrate too much with you, but I want you to know that I am extremely disappointed. I predicted right from the start that the child would be male, and I've been proven right in this case. (You're supposed to surprise us from time to time, you know! )

* Any romance in Realms fiction/canon that is featured front and centre is, by stupid necessity, going to be heterosexual in nature. Personally, I think it would be great if there were any LGBT characters with major roles in the Realms that actually sees print, but I am not holding my breath that it will ever happen. I might forgive you Ganrahast if he turns out to be gay (actually, if he does turn out to be gay, I'll be lauding your courage).

quote:
Ahh, but you're making the assumption that the people that are mentioned are the only ones that counted. To use Cormyr as an example, since that's the topic at hand: what about Laspeera’s children? Dauneth Marliir’s? Krystin Lhal (Myrmeen's adoptive daughter)’s? Giogi and Cat Wyvernspur’s? Narnra’s? To say nothing of Glarasteer Rhauligan or Emthrara Undril, or poor Lareth Gulur of the Cormyr Saga. I am not saying that all of these children are male, or female, or even that those listed had children. But they're certainly important enough among Cormyr's "present-day" to be counted.

None of those characters have seen much print in the current Realms. For exmaple, Narnra, the titular character of Elminster's Daughter, was barely featured in her own novel, let alone in other canon sources afterwards. Another example, Krystin Lhal first appeared in The Night Parade by Scott Ciencin, but has never been mentioned in any print source beyond Myrmeen Lhal's Heroes Lorebook write up since. The chances of either of them being mentioned again are minuscule now there's a 100 year jump. You have to convince me that's going to change, and as far as WotC goes - I'm very pessimistic.

The New Realms, or the Rorgotten Fealms as I've dubbed them, are not the old Realms, and WotC have gone to great pains to remind us of this at every turn, and with every change they make. All those characters may very well have children that populate the kingdom of Cormyr, and we'll see familiar surnames on characters that bear familial resemblance to previous characters, but it's also just as likely (or more likely in my opinion) that they'll all fade into obscurity, and we'll never hear of them again. (There may very well be exceptions, but I don't really expect them.)

I dare you, and Ed, and Wizards to prove me wrong. I assure you, that if I am proven wrong I'll be the happiest person in Melbourne (heh), and will sing the praises of the new Realms and how they've managed to keep the integrity of flavour even while changing things. But I'm fairly confident that time will bear my hypothesis out. The deaths of Mystra and Eilistraee have put you (you being everyone responsible for 4th Ed Realms) far in the red as far as it goes for me, there's a lot of ground that has to be made up for my mind to change on this.

quote:
It's perfectly understandable to assume that the only important characters are those mentioned in the first pass about a region. I also think it's something of a mistake. Cormyr has a great many positions of tremendous power: Royal Sage Most Learned, Warden of the Eastern Marches, Court Wizard--which is officially a separate post from Royal Magician--Commander of High Horn, and several local Lordships, to say nothing of secret but no-less-important appointments as Highknights or War Wizards.

But it's not in print yet. It won't be for some time, and we can't assume it will ever see print. Especially if it's all hidden behind DDI. Some of us are not willing to subscribe to that service, and right now I'm one of them.

quote:
Cormyr, as currently presented, shows woefully few female characters. I won’t argue that point. But what is shown is not all that is. The skimming of the surface we’ve seen isn’t nearly the breadth or depth of Cormyrean femininity. There’s much more to be shown, and seen, if we get the opportunity for a little ‘peek and ponder’ in the Forest Kingdom.

More things to discuss with Ed in Indianapolis. Hmm…

Yes, but where? We've been told pretty much that we're getting two source books and an adventure for the Realms, and that's all. Any further information I'll need to subscribe to DDI to access. As I won't be subscribing (ever at this point), I won't see it. My mind can't be changed by information I don't have access to. (Not to mention the fact that at this point, I'm unlikely to buy the books - which leads to a circular situation which hurts my brain to think about this morning.)

If I ever do get my hands on it, it will be because I've broken the law and resorted to piracy. Which is to say, of course, never.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 01 Aug 2008 01:03:49
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  04:26:06  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar
quote:

Blah... You're not inspiring confidence here, you know. It sounds like something bad happens to her that ends her tenure (maybe the spellplague drives her mad, in part due to her closeness to magic as a natural wielder of it (a sorcerer), or perhaps it strips her magical ability all together. (I'm not sure which would be a worse end, to be honest. The latter would be like loosing a sense (particularly sight, hearing, or the sense of touch), and in my opinion that is a fate worse than death.)
The tragedy and poignancy of her story that I referred to are about her entire lifetime, not merely her time as Royal Magician (some of which is suggested in Elminster's Daughter). If I were to say more, I'm sure Ed would come at me with a whip, and as much as I enjoy that sort of thing, I should probably stop.

quote:
quote:
Well I would probably disagree with your reasoning, because unless you're planning a romance* for the Royal Mage with a female member of the Orbarskyr family (or maybe a noble family, or perhaps an evil woman who tries to manipulate him or whatever), it only takes a small amount of stretching the imagination to be able to adapt a story to either gender. You obviously have an idea of this character, so I'm not going to remonstrate too much with you, but I want you to know that I am extremely disappointed. I predicted right from the start that the child would be male, and I've been proven right in this case. (You're supposed to surprise us from time to time, you know! )

* Any romance in Realms fiction/canon that is featured front and centre is, by stupid necessity, going to be heterosexual in nature. Personally, I think it would be great if there were any LGBT characters with major roles in the Realms that actually sees print, but I am not holding my breath that it will ever happen. I might forgive you Ganrahast if he turns out to be gay (actually, if he does turn out to be gay, I'll be lauding your courage).
I can't speak to either my reasoning or my plans, unfortunately, particularly since if they ever come to light, WotC will have its say first. I would relish the opportunity to surprise everyone, but I'd need a bit more familiarity with the reins, as it were.

I will agree with you, wholeheartedly, that LGBT characters haven't really seen the light of day; even when such characters exist in the Realms, they do so very much "in the closet." I will also say--even at the risk of having any hopes of my own fiction work ever seeing print dashed upon the rocks of whatever code of ethics WotC is following now--that it's past time that changed. And not charicatures of such characters (effeminate nobles in pink tunics or ludicrously attractive women who are kinda-sorta bisexual until our favorite hero struts along), but real, fully fleshed-out characters, whose traits include more than just a note about their sexuality.

A person is more than their sexuality, though, so including LGBT characters just for the sake of showcasing that identity is counterproductive; what the Realms and its audience need are LGBT personages that are truly characters, flesh-and-blood beings of real motivations and wants and virtues and failings. Heroes, and villains, too, so that no one can ever say that this character or that one over there was brought in just for the sake of being able to say "there, we have a gay character. Happy now?" Worse would be to have a single character alone, standing as the standard bearer for an entire identity group, lionized or villainized (or both!), that everyone can point to and say "WotC and the Realms authors think that every LGBT person is X, Y or Z."

In truth, there are only two legitimate reasons to put LGBT characters into print in FR: because there are LGBT people who live in the Realms, and because there are LGBT people who read about the Realms. To deny either fact is, frankly, dishonest. And it's insulting, both to the audience (whom WotC would be "protecting"), and to the LGBT community.

There were plenty of characters in the 3E Realms that they could have done this with. Hell, there were more than a few just in 3E Cormyr that fit the bill (recall previous discussions about Myrmeen, Alusair and Caladnei). But they didn't, and part of the shift to 4E meant that many of those characters were washed away. Those characters were lovingly crafted by Ed over the last 40 years, 20 of them with the help--some public, some less so--of friends and colleagues and fans. I doubt very much that the 4E Realms will need that long to get its feet under it, but it's going to a few months, at least, to let everyone get their bearings, to let WotC realize that FR fans aren't really satisfied with the paucity of coverage and possibly do something about it, and to let FR creators (many of whom haven't seen much more of the 4E Realms than what's on the WotC site) take the lay of the land before they can convince anyone of anything.
quote:
I dare you, and Ed, and Wizards to prove me wrong. I assure you, that if I am proven wrong I'll be the happiest person in Melbourne (heh), and will sing the praises of the new Realms and how they've managed to keep the integrity of flavour even while changing things. But I'm fairly confident that time will bear my hypothesis out. The deaths of Mystra and Eilistraee have put you (you being everyone responsible for 4th Ed Realms) far in the red as far as it goes for me, there's a lot of ground that has to be made up for my mind to change on this.
Nothing, but nothing, would make me happier, Zandilar. Where I sit, there is very little control I have on the Realms as they develop; at best, I get to add a bit of flavor here and here and make the dish more tasty. I am still waiting for my chance to stir the pot a bit.

quote:
quote:

But it's not in print yet. It won't be for some time, and we can't assume it will ever see print. Especially if it's all hidden behind DDI. Some of us are not willing to subscribe to that service, and right now I'm one of them.

I imagine that the Secrets of the Forgotten Realms seminar at Gen Con are going to be about just this topic. I don't speak for anyone but myself, but my guess is that fans are not as enthusiastic about the three-books-and-out philosophy as WotC are. It's something I sincerely hope they reconsider.

Despite the length of the above, Zandilar, I don't think you and I fundamentally disagree on things. Please believe me when I say that I understand your frustration and disappointment, even when it seems as though I am a part of the cause. If you'd like an individual to blame for the lack of female characters in the Cormyr article, please blame me: some specific personages (male and female) were added at my request, but it's clear I didn't rally strongly enough for a greater female presence.

FR has never suffered for its share of female heroes and villains and crowned heads; from the Seven Sisters to the Knights of Myth Drannor to Zaranda Star to Scyulla Darkhope, to the Ladies Four of late-3E Cormyr (Alusair, Laspeera, Myrmeen and Caladnei), they've long been around. I doubt very much that, the recent Cormyr article notwithstanding, the case is very different today. I fervently hope for the opportunity for me, and Ed, and anyone else who cares to do so to showcase all the wonder and splendor of Cormyr that we can, and the glorious variety of characters that live there: male, female, heterosexual and LGBT, human and nonhuman, woefully mortal and tragically ever-living, and every shade of in-between that there is.

Only time will tell whether we get that chance.

I'll stop hijacking Ed's thread now.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  10:39:50  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
the time portal is still active,
mr. baker said there were three ways to do it back a few months......

but I fear that even if Mr. Greenwood thought about following through with one or more of them, it would be under a NDA as well as WWL2K(wouldnt we like to know).

like a few of my questions themselves are nda.
ick social regalias, ick If I had a char in cormyr become a Noble, I think I would pass, I hate social gatherings...

did they ever clear the orcs out of arabel after the devil dragon incident???

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  14:35:36  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
Mr.Greenwood stated
quote:
Then I'd spotlight Durnan and Halaster

Ahh Halaster. That reminds me, after the whole 100 years jump in time (which i am not at all comfortable with but thats a whole other matter) what ever happened to Halaster? Did he lose his longevity after the incident with Mystra when she took away his madness (or so it seemed), did he survive that initial incident and died of old age? Or is he still around causing mischief or even having embraced goodness 100 years later? Last time i asked about Halaster it was NDA, and i realize the possibility of it still being NDA, but i`ll give it another shot since it`s been a year or two.

-Stig-
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  15:16:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

Mr.Greenwood stated
quote:
Then I'd spotlight Durnan and Halaster

Ahh Halaster. That reminds me, after the whole 100 years jump in time (which i am not at all comfortable with but thats a whole other matter) what ever happened to Halaster? Did he lose his longevity after the incident with Mystra when she took away his madness (or so it seemed), did he survive that initial incident and died of old age? Or is he still around causing mischief or even having embraced goodness 100 years later? Last time i asked about Halaster it was NDA, and i realize the possibility of it still being NDA, but i`ll give it another shot since it`s been a year or two.

-Stig-

Halaster was killed off in the Expedition to Undermountain module. Hopefully, his death won't be permanent, but with WotC's move away from non-money making icons, it's likely that we won't see any more of him.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  15:57:48  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
sfdragon, yes Arabel was purged of the Devil Dragon's forces, and reclaimed by Cormyr. If I remember rightly, some of the how and when of that has been discussed in this thread (or maybe last years' version of it).
And Garen Thal: great points, well said, hear hear!!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  15:59:58  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
So you're going to be talking to Ed at Gencon, Garen Thal? Will this be a private discussion, or can interested scribes sit around and listen? (Please?)
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  16:03:26  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
A question for Ed: if a merchant in Waterdeep wants to send a simple message (like: "Yes! Buy it!" or "No, don't do it!") to a merchant or family member in Suzail, and the message can be sent verbally rather than written down as an item to be hand-delivered, who could he hire to deliver it? How much would the fee be, and paid how? (Upon delivery? If not, what's the incentive to actually deliver it?) And how fast would it get to the intended recipient, barring mischance?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  01:45:39  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Hi, Ed and THO,
A quick Cormyr question. If an Obarskyr royal wa strolling in the Royal Gardens in Suzail, alone or with a guest, would there be bodyguards near?
If yes, HOW near? Able to voerhear, or discreetly "just" out of earshot of normal converse?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  01:51:19  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

So you're going to be talking to Ed at Gencon, Garen Thal? Will this be a private discussion, or can interested scribes sit around and listen? (Please?)
If I'm meeting with Ed in a public forum (sitting around the WotC booth, for example, or in a group of lovely young gaming girls), feel free to join in. If we're in a corner seeming to try and get a private word in, though, that's probably what's going on. Feel free to step up and say hi, of course--it's always an entertaining sight as fans and friends do the "close enough to be noticed/not close enough to be rude" dance while talking to Ed--but please remember that Ed is a VERY busy man at Gen Con (this year even more than most), and may need to be on the run at any moment.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  01:56:44  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Helm

A question for Ed: if a merchant in Waterdeep wants to send a simple message (like: "Yes! Buy it!" or "No, don't do it!") to a merchant or family member in Suzail, and the message can be sent verbally rather than written down as an item to be hand-delivered, who could he hire to deliver it? How much would the fee be, and paid how? (Upon delivery? If not, what's the incentive to actually deliver it?) And how fast would it get to the intended recipient, barring mischance?
Thanks!
Merchants don't tend to make such arrangements unless they can find someone already on their way to place in question. It's a long trip overland to get from Cormyr to Waterdeep, and in many cases (at least in 3E terms) probably cheaper and definitely more convenient and faster to employ a sending spell or similar magic. The savings involved in a non-magical messenger are nothing compred to shaving tendays off the transit time.

That said, such messages are usually accompanied by a small, sealed note telling the receiving agent how much to pay the messenger (and, in many cases, is given a return message for the original merchant). No one gets paid pre-delivery, to go and report to the Watch, a rival, or the Zhents.
Go to Top of Page

dfemling
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  05:28:57  Show Profile  Visit dfemling's Homepage Send dfemling a Private Message
Good day Ed and the Lady THO, i have a quick one that is really a stab in the dark question! Is Susprina Arkhenneld the mother to Kyriani (Agrivar)? The reason why i ask is that i was looking back in the powers and pantheons on page 157, stating that Kyriani's mother was a drow sorceress from shadowdale. I remembered your response that Susprina Arkhenneld is related to Calimar Arkhenneld of Sshamath. Thanks for all the lore, and I understand if this one is NDA:)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  20:53:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all! Good news!
The Wizards of the Coast website should shortly sport the 2007 Spin A Yarn story, which is well over 11,000 words long, is entitled "The Weaver of Dreams," incorporates ALL of the GenCon audience suggestions that didn't include direct mentions of real-world places, trademarks, or racial groups, and (if it survives the editing) includes something that should please Zandilar.
Or so Ed tells me.
Wheeee! And so forth!
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 02 Aug 2008 20:54:14
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  21:02:11  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:

Hello, all! Good news!
The Wizards of the Coast website should shortly sport the 2007 Spin A Yarn story, which is well over 11,000 words long, is entitled "The Weaver of Dreams," incorporates ALL of the GenCon audience suggestions that didn't include direct mentions of real-world places, trademarks, or racial groups, and (if it survives the editing) includes something that should please Zandilar.
Or so Ed tells me.
Wheeee! And so forth!
love to all,
THO
So Ed didn't go with our original suggestion of "Lhaeo in Fishnets: A Love Story?" (it would have involved a ship and actual fishing nets, for you dirty-minded folks). Shame!!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  01:24:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Hello, all! Good news!
Or so Ed tells me.
Wheeee! And so forth!
love to all,
THO

Neat. [Count Dooku voice]"I've been looking forward to this!"[/voice]

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  02:53:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
First, a question, inspired by some of the above:

I occurs to me that in a magical world, one need not think in terms of 'traditional couplings' when it come to children. In fact, it's entirely possible that Elminster himself is a mother!

So, oh wise one of the Verdant Wood, have there been any children in Faerűn that had parents of the same sex?

It would also make for one helluva a story for Caladenai - if it didn't violate WotC's new 'morality cluase'.

<note to self - E-mail Gay rights groups at earliest convenience>

quote:
Originally posted by Baleful Avatar

Hi, Ed and THO,
A quick Cormyr question. If an Obarskyr royal wa strolling in the Royal Gardens in Suzail, alone or with a guest, would there be bodyguards near?
If yes, HOW near? Able to overhear, or discreetly "just" out of earshot of normal converse?
Thanks!
Ohhh... ohhh! One I think I can answer. I believe it was in the Cormyr series (naturally) wherein King Azoun had hand-picked gaurds amongst his personal gaurd that had volunteered for occassional 'mind wiping' to protect "secrets of the Crown". I believe Azoun used this to sneak in and out of the castle (a lot), but I could see a more utilitarian purpose. If these gaurds were always the ones chosen to be 'in a garden' or wherever when the Royals were have private convesations, then it would be the simple matter of uttering a secret 'key' word or phrase at the end to wipe the gaurds clean.

The gaurds would have to agree to this initially when approached, and each time it was used they would remember what they had agreed to, but then wouldn't remember until the next time they were called upon (to forget). I remember this because it struck me as the sincerest form of devotion to Cormyr and the crown.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Aug 2008 03:12:09
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  03:40:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. I bring two swift responses from Ed:

To Markustay: Correct. These guards are used whenever "close-in" escorts are desired. When Obarskyrs speak to each other, however (at least during the reigns of Azoun IV and the Steel Regency), guards tend to keep "just out of quiet-voice earshot" in a large ring, moving with the strolling conversers. (A habit that arose out of Azoun's propensity for making love to Filfaeril on all sorts of handy surfaces in the Royal Gardens; the ring just turned to face away from the royal couple and stayed stationary, until matters were, ahem, back to strolling.

To Garen Thal: Correct on the "sending messages" reply, and as for "Lhaeo In Fishnets: A Love Story," I can promise you that (if it survives the editing; if for any reason it doesn't, I'll e-mail you a copy of the original version), a certain character picks up a copy of that exact work during the story, and reads out its title, too! When you see some of the characters in the story, you'll see why I couldn't resist using them and the setting I did, and foregoing Lhaeo for this time around.
HOWEVER, the 2008 Spin A Yarn is not much more than a week away . . .

So saith Ed, Creator of the Realms and Much of Its Twisted Deviancy.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  07:48:46  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I have a question, but Im not sure it could be answer in any since ....

Does Ed think wotc would let him write an alternate what if novel that placed alusair as the ruler of cormyr?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 03 Aug 2008 07:49:11
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  15:33:55  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

I have a question, but Im not sure it could be answer in any since ....

Does Ed think wotc would let him write an alternate what if novel that placed alusair as the ruler of cormyr?

Before or after they review the FRCG's sales figures?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000