Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

capnvan
Senior Scribe

USA
592 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  08:20:25  Show Profile  Visit capnvan's Homepage Send capnvan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

* Helmatoss: a sweet, oily, clear pale ale that sits heavily on the stomach. Some say it was named for the long-dead tavernkeeper Alanra Helmatoss, others say its name comes from the violent vomiting it causes in many who over-imbibe. It is known (Harpers have tested and proved this true) to neutralize many poisons and settle many raging acidic stomachs, and is definitely an acquired taste. Those who have acquired it often drink great amounts (where one large tankard will leave a first-timer spewing) and swear by it. Warning: highly flammable!

Herr brewmeister: What makes Helmatoss burn?

In our world it would be impossible to produce an ale that would burn. In order to produce sufficient ethanol in the beverage (approaching 50% by volume for anything highly flammable), distillation would be necessary. The yeast would have died off long before in such a toxic environment. But if you were distilling it, it wouldn't be an ale any more - you'd have a spirit.

What's the secret?

"Saving a life, though regrettable, is a small price to pay for a whole lifetime of unfettered killing."
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  08:58:38  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
If Althen isn't interested in the Lady herself, I'm happy to step in... as soon as she gets herself a mission in the Netherlands.
I won't be able to make it to Gencon Indy, for instance. Pity, would have liked to see the launch of LFR...
Something to mull over while in Origins (or perhaps the Lady remembers):

Is there a list of who belonged to the Seven Burghers of Harrowdale (pre Spellplague, that is)?
I imagine they were mostly left open for DMs to fill in, but some surely are known?
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  10:29:40  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

Is there a list of who belonged to the Seven Burghers of Harrowdale (pre Spellplague, that is)?
I imagine they were mostly left open for DMs to fill in, but some surely are known?

All 7 have been named. In the 2nd Ed. sourcebook 'The Dalelands you'll find them enlisted (p. 28):
Alosius Grimwarrow (LN hm Fighter 3)
Sherra Goldenleaf (CG ef Magic-User 6/Thief 7)
Halfgar the Strong (LG hm Fighter 7)
Helena Treskeden (True N hf Fighter 0)
Gunderman Brewmaster (NG hm Fighter 0)
Erethun Rivenstave (see below)
Captain Durana Shaleel (LG hef Fighter 0)

You should also take a look at 'Volo's Guide to the Dalelands', available as free download on the WOTC download page. One of the seven, namely ERETHUN RIVENSTAVE (NE hm Magic-User 11), is detailed therein on p. 223.

However, in the 2nd Ed. FRCS another person is named in connection with the Seven Burghers. On p. 30 it sais:
quote:
[To the Coucil of the Dales] Harrowdale sends a delegation of the Seven Burghers of Harrowdale, led by Reindorf Sandbeard.

If Reindorf Sandbeard ever was one of the seven Burghers and what happened to him is unknown to me.

Anyhow, hope that answers your question sufficiently and takes at least one querry off of the ever growing list of qestions to Ed.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 24 Jun 2008 10:36:18
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5041 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  15:00:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Aha! As it happens, I can answer this one. The membership of the Seven Burghers changed somewhat down the years, but Garlin Reindorf Sandbeard (family name corrupted from "Sarandbeard") was not a Burgher. Rather, he was their hired spokesman, because he has a mellifluous voice, quick wits, and is a great orator and effective negotiator. He was also a worldly-wise traveling merchant who knew the ins and outs of places outside the dale better than the Burghers (who are pragmatic above all, and thus don't mind at all admitting someone else is more capable, and hiring him).
[This is paraphrased from Ed's notes.]
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  20:41:40  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
All 7 have been named. In the 2nd Ed. sourcebook 'The Dalelands you'll find them enlisted (p. 28)

Thanks. I'm sure the Burghers changed a bit over the century, but this is very usefull!
I did read Volo's Guide, but I didn't know about 'The Dalelands'. Seems I missed something...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30225 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  20:51:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:
All 7 have been named. In the 2nd Ed. sourcebook 'The Dalelands you'll find them enlisted (p. 28)

Thanks. I'm sure the Burghers changed a bit over the century, but this is very usefull!
I did read Volo's Guide, but I didn't know about 'The Dalelands'. Seems I missed something...

It's another sourcebook, and not part of the Volo's Guide series -- though there was such a guide to the Dalelands. The book Ergs referred to is this one:

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/fr/dale.htm

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  21:19:23  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Question for the Hooded One brought on by the whole Garlin Sandbeard discussion: Did you and Ed's other players (or well, your characters) ever attend a Dalemeet? And if so, what was it like?

Hmm...no, there's no way I can make that question any broader in scope.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  21:23:53  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
It's another sourcebook, and not part of the Volo's Guide series -- though there was such a guide to the Dalelands.

Is it worth buying? I can get one though Amazon but they start at around $50...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30225 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  22:34:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:
It's another sourcebook, and not part of the Volo's Guide series -- though there was such a guide to the Dalelands.

Is it worth buying? I can get one though Amazon but they start at around $50...

I wasn't terribly impressed with it, myself. I got my first copy off of eBay several years ago for far less than $50. I'm pretty sure that I got my second copy from there, too, but I won't swear to it. I'd just look there and wait for it to turn up.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3296 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  23:35:15  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
I wouldn't pay $50 for FRS1 but I'd certainly buy the download for $4. It doesn't convey the feel well on its own, but it's useful as a supplemental source, having some information that didn't fit in the shops-and-sites-focused Volo's Guide. Because of this, only Shadowdale has had its culture, and the process and history of its government, described in any detail at all in print.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  01:38:21  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Indeed. FRS1 The Dalelands [by our Rich Baker] has a little information that's not in VGttD, but I'd look to other sources first.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  09:21:57  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I wouldn't pay $50 for FRS1 but I'd certainly buy the download for $4. It doesn't convey the feel well on its own, but it's useful as a supplemental source, having some information that didn't fit in the shops-and-sites-focused Volo's Guide. Because of this, only Shadowdale has had its culture, and the process and history of its government, described in any detail at all in print.

Well, if you got a pdf version of it, you can always go to the next "copy shop" and have it printed again in decent quality for an equally low amount. It ain't the full monty, but better than staring at the monitor for ages. BTW, the PDF versions you buy also hand you an advantge when it comes to searching for specific stuff. Type the word you are looking for and you can scan whole bookshelves in minutes.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

G a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faern, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 25 Jun 2008 09:22:41
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  14:19:31  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
My apologies to Ed if he answered my questions on the Dragonking (which I think I asked him), but I was rereading the scroll about the Dragonking and again wondered if Sune was a multi-planar deity (like Correlon and Tyr) and if we'll ever learn from what crystal sphere came the Dragonking and House Sunstaff (a.k. Wands)? I looked in the 2007 archive of Ed's answers and didn't find anything, but my set isn't complete.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  15:26:39  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

* Helmatoss: a sweet, oily, clear pale ale that sits heavily on the stomach. Some say it was named for the long-dead tavernkeeper Alanra Helmatoss, others say its name comes from the violent vomiting it causes in many who over-imbibe. It is known (Harpers have tested and proved this true) to neutralize many poisons and settle many raging acidic stomachs, and is definitely an acquired taste. Those who have acquired it often drink great amounts (where one large tankard will leave a first-timer spewing) and swear by it. Warning: highly flammable!

Herr brewmeister: What makes Helmatoss burn?

In our world it would be impossible to produce an ale that would burn. In order to produce sufficient ethanol in the beverage (approaching 50% by volume for anything highly flammable), distillation would be necessary. The yeast would have died off long before in such a toxic environment. But if you were distilling it, it wouldn't be an ale any more - you'd have a spirit.

What's the secret?

I remember visiting a small bar near Denver that had a pale ale with a non-dissolving additive. It was called "Pine Brine" by the regulars, if I remember correctly, and was named so because the additive, which rose to the top of the drink, had a pine scent that you could smell whenever you were taking a sip. I additionally assume that this additive caused no health related problems.

It could be that the high flammability of the Helmatoss results from an additive like that one, there to give the ale a unique blend of flavor or smell. If it rose to the top of the drink, than nearby open flames or ashes (like those from a smoking pipe) could cause an ignition, even a violent one. Honestly, I'm not much of a drinker, but I've carelessly caught enough things on fire to accurately diagnose combustions.

Have a pleasant week.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

capnvan
Senior Scribe

USA
592 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  15:46:30  Show Profile  Visit capnvan's Homepage Send capnvan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GoCeraf

I remember visiting a small bar near Denver that had a pale ale with a non-dissolving additive. It was called "Pine Brine" by the regulars, if I remember correctly, and was named so because the additive, which rose to the top of the drink, had a pine scent that you could smell whenever you were taking a sip. I additionally assume that this additive caused no health related problems.

Having been to some small bars near Denver, I believe the appropriate verb in that last sentence should be altered, to read "I additionally hope that this additive..."

Thanks for the info.

"Saving a life, though regrettable, is a small price to pay for a whole lifetime of unfettered killing."
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  15:51:20  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
High pressure hose?!?

Indeed. I am even more indignant and now soaking wet.
*wrings out shirt and pants*

Ahem. Look closely. I have never once said I wanted to
grab anything of the Hoody One that was attached.
Createvmind, I believe you owe an apology, or
at least a towell.
*wipes off bald head*

Now back to the important stuff.

I want to deviate from stated sources. I believe that Halaster
is too intersting a personality to get killed. I instead want
him to be free of the office of Mad Mage of Undermountain and
become a free roaming agent. In his clear thinking times, what
kind of things would he be doing? Develope a new kingdom in his
homeland? Trying to kill of the church of Shar? Just work
with Mystra and do her bidding? Where would he base himself out
of? Who would be his allies and enemies? What resources will
he take with him?

The first short story in the Archwizards anthology says that
mythrallars are created using actual strands of the Weave.
With this being said, does this allow for more discussion
on how they are created? Or is it still to be shrouded in
darkness?

Thank you for keeping me dry. *puts on rain gear and opens
umbrella and ducks*
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  16:44:18  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

quote:
Originally posted by GoCeraf

Having been to some small bars near Denver, I believe the appropriate verb in that last sentence should be altered, to read "I additionally hope that this additive..."

Thanks for the info.

'T'ain't no thang.

My Forgotten Realms knowledge is lacking, but I enjoy tossing around a little of my trivial what-have-you's.

That, however, may be a completely incorrect explanation, since there are a number of Toril-native ingredients that certainly aren't about on Earth. Still, glad to be of help.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
313 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2008 :  11:31:47  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by the1eyedking
1) What is the proper "etiquette" for dealing with spies from allied governments or organizations ?

. . . . (Teleporting them home naked, Prestadigatoral tattoos, and Geas's to sing bawldy songs or tell dirty jokes/stories to their superiors) . . . .

What wonderful ideas I hope you don't mind if I borrow these?
Go to Top of Page

TheHermit
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2008 :  13:13:04  Show Profile  Visit TheHermit's Homepage Send TheHermit a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I must echo the request for information on why the elves are so fussy about their dead and the tombs of the same. If elves can't ordinarily be resurrected, why are they concerned about people mucking about in the ancestral tombs (excluding, -- of course! -- the ones with Bad Things sealed away in them)? Why do they even bury things with their dead? There must be some powerful reason for protecting their ancestral tombs if some are willing to become baelnorns. Why not let some adventurer plunder old elven tombs if he promises not to animate any of the dead?

One can only imagine they do it for the same reasons that I wouldn't let you dig up my great-grandmother to get at the jewelry she was buried with. Regardless of how wasteful you feel it is, she had her wishes, the family had it's wishes, and your opinions on the disposition of our dead don't enter into it.

- "Glitz & Klax's Potions & Elixirs"/"The Sandmen", Inside Ravens Bluff, The Living City; 1990; TSR, Inc.
- "The Far Guardians' Traveler's Mission", Port of Ravens Bluff; 1991, TSR, Inc.
- "Signs Painted", Polyhedron #70; April, 1992; TSR, Inc.
- Communications Director, Coliseum of Comics, Orlando, FL - http://coliseumofcomics.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2008 :  18:45:47  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Yes, but I'd like Ed to tells us why Elves have this desire. Why not just cremate their dead? It's not as if they are going to need their bodies again.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2008 :  21:22:59  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
*comes out from under umbrella*

So, where is everybody? The forums have been slightly dead of late.

New question: What are the details to death by "overexposure to magic"?
Is it like radiation poisoning in real life?

Does Lake Miir correspond to the Quarter of Emptiness on the old
Anauroch poster map?

The area just on the other side of the Desertmouth Mts from the Dales seems to have
several different nationalities building towns there. How many
"ruins on ruins" is there in this area?

Thank you again. *hides again under umbrella*
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2008 :  22:51:27  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage  Click to see AlorinDawn's MSN Messenger address Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Fellow Scribes and naughty Hooded lasses,

Ed has arrived safely here in Columbus, Ohio. I ran into him and extracted lore 20 steps into the convention center this afternoon where he was fully clad in plate armor made of pure NDA! The staff at Origins seem to be treating him with the proper respect and have assigned him a cold drink toadie (joking).

I intend to ask every curvaceous woman in her 40s to disrobe in hopes I run into The Hooded One and hit the lusty jackpot. Unfortunately for you I have a strong lawful streak, so I couldn't tell you if my command spell works or not....../evil grin

Currently reading: Eyes of The Dragon by Stephen King

Long live Sniffy Wigglebottom

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 27 Jun 2008 22:55:20
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2008 :  00:21:23  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
;Turns off hose, water conservation and all that:

Ed and Lady enjoy the Con and we'll entertain ourselves until your return, *Stern look at althen*
Go to Top of Page

the1eyedking
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2008 :  08:02:41  Show Profile  Visit the1eyedking's Homepage Send the1eyedking a Private Message
I would like to see an event a Gencon called "Ed Time Stories", in which Ed regales us with titillating tales from his realms campaign and various convention stories.

Also, I have been reading the archives lately and I'd like to know how to assemble a harem on a organizational level.

I hope you have a great time at origins, and thanks for doing that interview with KQ it was a great read.

Thanks

Question Everything.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2008 :  23:30:14  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
*takes off raincoat and puts away umbrella*

Indeed, entertain ourselves. Capital idea.
I hope your not in California createmind, they're get you
for that wasted water.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000