Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2008 :  04:14:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time I set before interested scribes a Realmslore reply from Ed to scribe Firestorm, addressing this query: “. . . Currently, we are discussing powerful Spellcasters. Larloch, etc, and the story Tears So White came up.
Larloch acts visibly afraid of Storm when she advances with Silverfire, and I personally maintain that this was a placating act on his part to show he meant no harm, etc.
My reasoning being, Even if she smoked him with Silverfire, he would simply return to his Phylactery safely within whatever crazy pocket Dimension he hid it in and he truly had nothing to fear permanently.”

[[THO: scribes’ converse from a thread here at the Keep was then included, but I have snipped it here for brevity’s sake]]

“Lol. So I guess in the end, What i am asking is: Could Storm have obliterated his Soul on the spot, despite usual lich Soul returning to Phylactery stuff (Or to another lich of his), Contingency spells teleporting him away, etc? Did he have genuine reason to immediately fear for his existence other than making powerful enemies of several Chosen who could together pose a greater threat??
Sorry about the long add ons and Quotes. Its just a weird question. It bothered me that Larloch the Ultra Lich would show fear to Storm, who a Manshoon clone could handle if she didn’t have Elminster’s help (Spellfire book 2 seems to indicate that Storm thinks she would not match up well vs. Manshoon without El's help).”

Ed replies:

You have divined matters correctly, Firestorm. Larloch is trying to seem seem unthreatening, and so retreats a few steps, but he also DOESN’T want to get struck by the silver fire, not out of fear, but because it would burn away many layers of his interwoven magics, causing a “snowballing” deterioration of his lichnee condition AND forcing him to spend much time and trouble fighting this, and restoring all of his magics (if certain magics are destroyed, he would lose control over some of the liches who serve him, and they would certainly try to seize this opportunity [Larloch weakened? Our best chance!] to try to destroy him. I’m not saying they would necessarily succeed, I’m saying Larloch can foresee these problems and would prefer to avoid them. To do otherwise would be wasteful, and would also let others witness and remember (or hear of, from witnesses) this vulnerability and so perhaps foster future attacks on him.

The Sisters also know from experience and Mystra’s teachings something that Larloch hasn’t thought of, and the Princes of Shade never faced.
The silver fire is the raw energy of the Weave (and thus, effectively limitless; it’s the channeled vitality of the WORLD), and by its nature tends to sear both existing spell effects and living things - - and whereas spells can block and foil the silver fire of one source, and a mythal or powerful ward can be crafted so as to “drink” (absorb) silver fire and therefore be strengthened by it rather than destroyed by it, no known magic can withstand the concentrated strikes of six or more sources of silver fire (six or more Chosen and/or avatars of deities of magic who know how to derive and wield silver fire, such as Mystra and Azuth).

Larloch can never “have” silver fire to wield unless he submits to Mystra, abandoning his lichdom and becoming one of her servitor creatures, alive in a vastly lesser body and subject to her authority. He doesn’t know if she would accept him or destroy him, if he asked; all he knows is that she suffers him to continue to exist as he is now, a kingpin among liches, commanding many lichnee. Thus, as it’s a form of magical energy he can’t have and daren’t (as a lich) have overmuch contact with, he’s fascinated by it and hungers to have it (“human nature,” if you will). He approached Storm’s silver fire almost reverently, wanting to see it at very close quarters, yearning to have it - - and yet controlling himself iron-hard, to keep himself from touching it.

Yes, that was “the” (true) Larloch, by the way, not the lich lord inhabiting (controlling and speaking through) the body of another lich from afar (though he can and often does do this).

By the way, in response to “Nobody is going to try to go into the Warlock’s Crypt fighting 60 high level liches” (et cetera), that’s not Larloch’s fear. He fears revolt from within, if he is weakened or incapacitated; his own dominated undead, who so intimately know his powers, where his magic lies, and their ways around his domain, turning upon him.

As for silver fire destroying souls: I don’t know. Certainly no mortal has witnessed this happening (or if they have, understood what they were seeing correctly). Mystra and Azuth would of course know; her Chosen obviously do not.

In this case, with all of Larloch’s contingencies and his phylactery being elsewhere (though there are some special forms of undead that result when liches are magically prevented from contact with their phylacteries, when their lich bodies are destroyed; sorry, NDA on these) I doubt Storm could have destroyed Larloch’s soul on the spot, no. Nor do I think she would ever think she could. Liches are creatures of magic, and Mystra frowns on destroying them without good reason . . . and Larloch was NOT attacking her.

Whew. So saith Ed, master of all things lichnee from way back. Hmmm, “Expert on Lichdom” doesn’t appear that often on resumés, does it?
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2008 :  14:02:23  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message
Thank you very much:)
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2008 :  16:16:16  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2008 :  22:16:38  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
It may seem silly, but I just found a reason to consider my hat question to be of present interest: the answer would help to determine which (if any) plastic military miniatures would be acceptable interpretations of various nationalities of Toril. F'rinstance: if the Sembians wear floppy plumed hats, would French 17th century musketeers be good models to represent them? Et cetera.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

LetumLux
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2008 :  23:08:39  Show Profile Send LetumLux a Private Message
Hi everyone!

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I looked about but there's so much lore and answers to sift through I may have overlooked it!

I've got something of a publishing-lore question:

There's a Mongoose Publishing book from the Encylopaedia Arcane collection called Familiars: Crouching Monkey, Hidden Toad. In this book, it details all sorts of in depth aspects about Familiars and binding/bonding with them, and one of the things that caught my interest was the mention of being able to bind/bond with pretty much anything (with varying difficulties based on factors such as creature type, HD, and so forth), including human(oid) critters and other people.

What my actual question is, since this is a MGP and not a Forgotten Realms book, could any of this be canon for Forgotten Realms and/or is there a book that details Familiars in depth like this that is Forgotten Realms canon that may have the answer else wise?

Thanks in advance!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2008 :  23:53:02  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by LetumLux

Hi everyone!

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I looked about but there's so much lore and answers to sift through I may have overlooked it!

I've got something of a publishing-lore question:

There's a Mongoose Publishing book from the Encylopaedia Arcane collection called Familiars: Crouching Monkey, Hidden Toad. In this book, it details all sorts of in depth aspects about Familiars and binding/bonding with them, and one of the things that caught my interest was the mention of being able to bind/bond with pretty much anything (with varying difficulties based on factors such as creature type, HD, and so forth), including human(oid) critters and other people.

What my actual question is, since this is a MGP and not a Forgotten Realms book, could any of this be canon for Forgotten Realms and/or is there a book that details Familiars in depth like this that is Forgotten Realms canon that may have the answer else wise?

Thanks in advance!

I think that I can safely answer this one and have a decent chance of being correct: no and no.

That said, do I use Crouching Monkey, Hidden Toad? Yes. I will tell you from practical experience, though, that a DM has to keep monitoring the familiar use (or non-use) of PCs. There is a tendency for players to only trot them out when they want to take advantage of the bonuses they supply, and never mind the risks which having a familiar entails (such as having to role-play a relationship with what is, frankly, a pretty stupid companion). There is a strong temptation to bring out the familiar only when convenient, as does Vaarsuvius in Order of the Stick.

Another non-Realms book with useful familiars (such as the dog) is the White Wolf Player's Guide to Wizards and Sorcerers (or some such title). It is intended for the Scarred Lands campaign setting, but much of it is very useful in any setting.

Bona fide Realms familiars include the tressym, or winged cat, which is described in the (genuine) Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. The Monsters of Faerun supplement features a surprisingly large number of creatures which may be chosen as familiars (or "greater" familiars).

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 13 Jul 2008 00:17:36
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  04:55:00  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Reading Ed's response to "who are the best Realms swordsmen," I realize that I have no idea who Maethrammar Aerasume is... (race, nationality, etc.)

Is he in the FRCS by any chance?

By the way, I've summarized Ed's list here, from best blade to (relatively) the worst:

1. mh, Harmel Artru, Saerloon, Sembia.
2. ??, Maethrammar Aerasume, ??, ??
3. mh, Loaros Hammarandar, Narubel, Thindol.
4. fh, Ember Tsartaera, Furthinghome, Aglarond.
5. mh, Skoalam Marlgrask, Chessenta.
6. me (drow), Drizzt Do'Urden, Mithral Hall, Silver Marches
7. fh, Lyaunthra Aldegal, Waterdeep AND (Silverymoon, Neverwinter and Secomber)
8. mh, Sraece Telthorn, Yhaunn, Sembia AND Waterdeep.
9. mh, Artemis Entreri, Calimport, Calimshan.
10. mh, Ulmaer Rivrymm, Sheirtalar, Lapaliiya.
11. mh, Aka 'The Questmaster', Sword Coast North.

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 13 Jul 2008 05:01:42
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  05:13:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
He's one of Alustrial's dozen sons. Steven has talked about him, in the file that he created years ago, and if it's the one that also appeared in the Last Mythal books, etc.

Eh, or, since I didn't check, maybe that is their father. I shoulda looked it up first. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Reading Ed's response to "who are the best Realms swordsmen," I realize that I have no idea who Maethrammar Aerasume is... (race, nationality, etc.)

Is he in the FRCS by any chance?

By the way, I've summarized Ed's list here, from best blade to (relatively) the worst:

1. mh, Harmel Artru, Saerloon, Sembia.
2. ??, Maethrammar Aerasume, ??, ??
3. mh, Loaros Hammarandar, Narubel, Thindol.
4. fh, Ember Tsartaera, Furthinghome, Aglarond.
5. mh, Skoalam Marlgrask, Chessenta.
6. me (drow), Drizzt Do'Urden, Mithral Hall, Silver Marches
7. fh, Lyaunthra Aldegal, Waterdeep AND (Silverymoon, Neverwinter and Secomber)
8. mh, Sraece Telthorn, Yhaunn, Sembia AND Waterdeep.
9. mh, Artemis Entreri, Calimport, Calimshan.
10. mh, Ulmaer Rivrymm, Sheirtalar, Lapaliiya.
11. mh, Aka 'The Questmaster', Sword Coast North.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 13 Jul 2008 05:15:27
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  06:38:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
You mean Taerntym Tanagathor/Taern Moonweather?

Methrammar Aerasumé, of the Shining Guard [LG hem F14/W12] and commander of Luruar's armies [The North "Cities" pg. 55], is noted as being the most recognized son of Alustriel.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  08:41:11  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Thanks guys! I've updated my list!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  10:52:41  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Well Met All

A few questions about beer and hostelry names in Cormyr

Inspired by CAMRA's* most popular pub name in the UK (The Crown, The Red Lion and The Kings Oak), I have a query re Tavern and Inn names in Cormyr.

I don't recall seeing in any published lore a hostelry named The Purple Dragon (or similar derivatives). Is there an official crown edict banning the naming of establishments after the crown/ruler etc? or is it just seen as tempting Beshaba's smile upon the enterprise to be so 'pompous'?

Would the death of Azoun IV change any of this? Would enterprising folks want to honour him and his memory by naming a tavern after him? (and hope to 'cash in' on his memory).

Are there any establishments named after the place they are in? The Arabel/Thunderstone Arms etc, or again does the crown ban the use of offical names and heraldy for hostelry names? Similarly what are the rules regarding naming a holstery the Lord of Ghars/Baron of Eastern Marches etc.

Are hostelries of various types required by law to have a sign hanging outside of their premises? If so are there rules on the size, shape and content? Would the signs need to be registered with the local herald to ensure that that they don't 'clash' with others? (similar to noble heraldry getting checked before being approved).

Is there an offical ale taster/revenue officer/weights and measure department run by the crown who go around inns and taverns ensuring that people are being served 'correct' drinks e.g. taste and type, crown/guild approved measures.

Are there taxes levied on ale, wine and spirits? If so is there a difference between those who brew to sell to others and those who brew to consume themselves?

Many thanks

Damian
*CAMRA = Campaign For Real Ale

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  17:34:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all! Ed was delayed in replying yesterday due to a Net access outage in his neck of the woods (storm took down a telephone pole, taking a run of fiber-optics with it), but has emerged to tell me he really enjoyed the queries from Zandilar (which he will soon answer; he just has to find one little lore file first), and to deal with the most recent question posted here, by crazedventurers (see directly above).
Ed replies:

Hi, Damian! I’ll try to answer your questions in strict order, and restrict myself to the pre-Spellplague Cormyr in my answers; here we go.

Yes, there is a Crown law (brought into being about ten years before the death of King Azoun IV, when Vangerdahast and Alaphondar had an idle month and agreed on some things, this being one of them) banning businesses of all sorts (including inns, taverns, and private clubs) from using royal names, nicknames, heraldry, and “decrying the Crown” (which means you can’t name your tavern Azoun’s Codpiece or Duar’s Head or the Steel Regent’s Backrest, just to invent some examples). Local Purple Dragons would be offended, and might wreck such an establishment, even if there was no law; some veterans take a VERY dim view of anything that pokes fun at the Crown. They have a fierce loyalty to their “companions in harness” (comrades in arms) and the Obarskyrs who lead them (though not necessarily to some of the nobility serving as military officers). Such a naming would also, as you say, be seen as an attitude tempting misfortune, and might well be avoided by many potential customers as a result. Sometimes upstairs, undercover “drinking clubs” in Marsember get names that are a mockery of the Crown - - but never ‘real,’ taxable businesses.

In memory, Azoun IV is revered (and jovially celebrated in taverns everywhere as “our stallion,” with increasingly overblown accounts of his sexual prowess [lovemaking on the back of a galloping steed that’s leaping fallen trees and creeks as it tears through the forest, for example, something that sounds rather bruising for all parties involved]), but honoring him takes the form of remembrance festivals on the date of his birthday, and the naming of meals or ales as “Azoun’s Preferred” or “Azoun’s Chosen” (claims that everyone smiles at and does nothing to refute, this “everyone” including Crown agents), rather than dubbing buildings and businesses after him.

The naming law also prevents directly naming any business after a specific battle (even a victory), and any noble, noble family, local lord, and any specific heraldic blazon. So you could dub your tavern “The Rearing Stag” even though certain arms use a rearing stag as a device, but you could not duplicate the specific depiction of the rearing stag that appears in the Staghunt noble family blazon, nor adopt the heraldic description of that stag: “a full-antlered scarlet stag rampant to the dexter, its silver rack entwined with the branches of an oak tree” (heralds in the Realms do not use real-world French heraldic terms, though I have sometimes rendered their blazons into such, for clarity - - and ironically, now usually avoiding doing so, for the very same reason). There’s no rule against duplicating the name of a Cormyrean naval ship, simply because there were a few unintended duplications when Vangey and Alaph were drafting the law, and because neither of them considered that any confusion of association could ever arise.

You CAN name your tavern, inn, or stables (but not any other sort of business) directly after the place it is located in (so “The Arms of Arabel” is an illegal name, but “the Pride of Arabel” is not). Tailors can’t set themselves up as “the Flashing Needle of Arabel,” even if their customers give them that nickname, and Crown agents (the same guys who show up to collect taxes) will force a name change on the newer business in any case where they think a second business has been established with a name too similar to an existing one (for one thing, they never want the tax rolls to get confused). So if “the Pride of Arabel” is flourishing, you can’t legally open “the Promenade of Arabel” across the street or at the far end of the city).
No business can name itself after a place it isn’t located in (i.e. no inns in Espar calling themselves “High Horn Rest”). There ARE a few old, ‘grandfathered’ businesses that break both of the rules I’m addressing in this paragraph, and the right to go on breaking it can be bought and sold (but never increased; so the “Wyvernwater Inn” can continue to exist, but if it’s sold and continues operating under the same name, the seller can’t open a new inn called “the Old Wyvernwater House,” and if “Wheloon House” burns down, it can be rebuilt, but it can’t be expanded to two locations, “Old Wheloon House” and “Wheloon Castle”).

Mythical nobles (so long as they can’t be mistaken for members of a real noble family) CAN serve as the names of establishments, so “the Drunken Lord” or “Old Lord Roaringsides” are all right, but “Lord Old Roaringsides” would NOT be allowed in combination with a depiction, badge, or anything else (such as the black stallions famously bred by the Roaringhorn family) that would make a traveler think there was an association with the Roaringhorns.
Cormyr, like every other long-settled place, has several folk equivalents to our world’s Baron Munchausen, Casanova, and Squire Allworthy. These include Old Lord Roaringsides (a hunting, brawling, tirelessly-enduring lover of every female within reach, slayer of animals who devours them raw in the forest where he spears them or eats like sixteen men at a feast, belches loudly enough to knock nearby folk over, and so on), Lady Doom (an icily-sneering haunt of a gowned, gliding woman who sails through walls and locked doors without hindrance, says nothing to most but whispers of doom to a few, and whose appearance presages misfortune or death), and Lord “Firetongue” Haubrynton (based on a non-noble knight of a different name who fought alongside King Duar, long ago, and had the same fiery speech; Lord Firetongue is a solemn, dignified noble of senior years who has fits in which he swears like a sailor, punches objectionable people, chases maids, plays pranks . . . and then reverts, apparently forgetting everything he’s done; whereas the real knight apparently really had no remembrance, the fictional Lord Firetongue is always depicted as slyly winking when he claims to have no knowledge of his “wild deeds”).

As for signage, inns, public stables, and taverns are required by law to have signs (lit by lanterns or some other means, such as magic, so as to be readable by night, except during instances where local authorities specifically decree otherwise, such as during a war) clearly visible thrusting out into the street.
Other businesses may choose to have such signs (and may be governed by local guild rules or trade agreements), and almost all do have signs, though not all businesses use out-thrust signboards; some, particularly crafters, have flush-to-the-wall signs mounted over their doors.
In all cases, the Crown (acting through local lords, or Purple Dragon commanders in rural areas where there is no local lord) has instant and final say over the size, shape, content, and location of all such signage (“location” in this usage really meaning “how much the sign thrusts out into or over the road, creating a hazard for high-loaded wagons and coaches”).
Yes, local heralds have a duty to inspect and order any necessary changes to all such signage (on the grounds of infringing on heraldry or misleading the public as to the nature of the business, NOT on grounds of “good taste”). The Heralds can override local heralds, who can in turn override the tastes of a local lord or his agents (so citizens have a route of appeal if their lord just doesn’t like giant carved wooden boots or candles hanging from chains out over the street he rides down, for instance). It would be foolish for most shopkeepers to pick a fight with their local lord (who has many ways of getting back at them, if he chooses), but there is a strict prohibition on local lords harming businesses or crafters by denying them one sign after another, and in the past, local lords have been removed and publicly disgraced for doing so (notably Onslur Gelnwood of Wheloon in the last few years of the reign of Rhigaerd I, and Caltath Malurt of Waymoot in the second year of Azoun IV’s rule).

The tax collectors and all traveling Crown officials and courtiers have clear, easy, and confidential channels through which to complain about bad beer and similar shortcomings in inns and taverns. (They can speak to any Purple Dragon barracks commander, any local lord or bailiff of a local lord, any War Wizard, or to the Desk of Justice in the Royal Court of Suzail. Everyone of these “complain to” persons can also make complaints from their own observations, or on behalf of any citizen.) All complaints are routed to the Desk of Justice, which is really a room rather than a desk, and has nothing at all to do with Black Robes or judicial proceedings.
Rather, it is a small band of undercover inspectors run by a Highknight (and escorted for safety by War Wizards and Highknights when it seems necessary) who have the power to close a kitchen or taps on the spot, and to confiscate or destroy food, yank Crown licenses, and effectively shut down a business for good, or for as long as it takes to fix it. They rarely have to do so, these days; their mere appearance awes many patrons and frightens most hostelry owners bone-white.
However, there aren’t specific amounts or qualities set down in laws; what the Desk is trying to prevent is poisonings, the serving of food or drink that will spread disease or make folk ill, and (on a daily basis, the most important and prevalent part of their work) DECEPTION.
If you are promised a tankard of ale, there is an expectation that the tankard will be large enough to have a handle you can fit all of the fingers of your hand through, and that the tankard will descend at least two fingers below that handle and at least one finger above, in terms of the depth of interior space in the tankard that can be filled with drink, AND that said space is wide enough that all of fingers of your hand, squeezed together tightly, can be thrust down into that “hole.” (YES, that means that drinkers with huge hands should be given larger tankards, or given more ale in other containers, per drink paid for. For everyone, it means no miniature “toy tankards,” and no mugs that are only two inches deep, from lip to the “bell” [inside bottom].)
Similarly, if you are promised “mutton” or “goose eggs” or “ale from Arabel,” what you are served should be just that, and not something else passed off as what was promised.
In the ports of Suzail and Marsember, guilds are now forming or already exist to insist on, and try to enforce, strict labelling and precise identification of goods, so “Malaxan’s Best Brew” won’t be barrels of whatever Sembia sends labeled as such, but will always be beer actually brewed by the same guy called Malaxan, in the same place and to more or less the same recipe, and really be what he considers his “best,” and not “the mixed-bottom-barrel dregs slop Sembians won’t drink, so we’ll ship it to Cormyr, where all they can taste is horse-dung, so they’ll never know the difference.” (Which is why you can now buy really cheap, bitter, horrible ale called “Sembian Odds” at some dockside taverns; it really is mixed “odds and ends” from barrels, which is perfectly fine because it is identified as such.)

And finally, no direct taxes are levied on the sale of ale, wine and spirits to patrons in a tavern, but the businesses that produce such drinkables are taxed, both as businesses and a 1cp/barrel (up to 1 sp for the largest “tuns,” so making the barrel larger doesn’t allow a brewer to escape “the Crown’s take”). Small beer made at home is never taxed, and “local brews” are never taxed if they are drunk only by the owners or neighbors who may buy a tankard or pitcher. However, if drink is ever put into a barrel that is transported elsewhere (outside of town, as opposed to one street over in the same place), the “barrel tax” applies.
In Arabel, Marsember, and Suzail, ALL producers of “strong drink” (alcoholic beverages or “physics” and “cordials” [medicines]) are taxed, except for what they consume in their own house (i.e. the drinkers are their own family or guests). Individuals who try to elude tax by just running taverns or drinking clubs in their own homes quickly get visited by the Desk of Justice, the tax collectors, the Watch and everyone else (including War Wizards mind-reading them to determine their true intent and extent of their activities, because there’s an everpresent “wary watch” for smuggling), to tax them as businesses and hassle them out of such behaviour back into serving just themselves, family members, and a handful of dinner guests or overnight visitors.

Great questions, and you’re always welcome, Damian! May we both continue to enjoy the Realms for years upon years to come!

So saith Ed, creator of Cormyr and drinker of much ale.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 13 Jul 2008 19:03:04
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  19:20:11  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message
Great stuff! Wish more fantasy authors detailed their worlds so deeply and lovingly!
My question is about Ed's "non-drow" dark elf books. DARK WARRIOR RISING was a great yarn, and I hear the sequel (DARK VENGEANCE) is done and out in ARCs. Will there be a third? Or are negotiations and plans pending?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  19:23:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hmm. I think Ed and his editor (Brian Thomsen, who used to be head of Book Publishing for TSR) are still kicking ideas around, but I'll check, of course, and bring Ed's reply back to you.
Er, hello again, all.
More lore from Ed, this time in response to scribe althen artren: “Has Ed ever done anything with the Queen of Air and Darkness, or write up the Black Diamond, or create a comprehensive list of the gods of humanoid creatures, or did he use the Monster Mythology (one of my favorites)?”
Ed replies:

1. The Queen of Air and Darkness: yes. Currently covered by an NDA. Sorry.

2. No, that was another’s baby, and in staff hands at the time. It should indeed be written up, and I believe was (in brief, sketchy terms), but that’s hidden Wizards lore, not yet-to-be-published Ed Realmslore.

3. No, MONSTER MYTHOLOGY was published far too late for my use in designing the Realms. The published Realms has largely avoided “comprehensive” lists since, because designers always found it useful to create a new deity for this adventure or that back story. Until, of course, another designer expressed horror that we now had too many deities. :} Such is the “design cycle” that we Great Old Ones see, time and again. (No, I’m not a dread creature of the Cthulhu Mythos, though I have written about them. I’m a Secret Master of Gamin - - oops! FORMERLY-Secret Master of Gaming, and when you stay active in the industry for decades, you get the Great Old nickname.)

So saith Ed, who lies dreaming in lost R - - uh, in the book-filled basement of a farmhouse in a rural Ontario.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  19:37:21  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Spells stilled, all:

I was wondering, I am about to start gold prospecting as a new
hobby, and I was wondering if his area in Ontario looked promising
for the freelance gold prospector with friend, shovel, pan, and metal detector
Ed, have you ever done any recreational gold (or other materials)prospecting (if there are any good stories about it, PLEASE share!)

Edited by - althen artren on 13 Jul 2008 19:38:31
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  23:05:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Here's Ed's lightning-swift reply to that:

Hi, althen artren. Mining's a ticklish topic in southern Ontario right now, what with various people trying to fight mining companies who have appeared and ravaged their homes drilling and digging. The problem is claims, and the definition of "working" them . . . and in some cases, large companies apparently being able to secretly receive government permission to override or set aside existing claims staked by individuals (in clear defiance of the law). Southern Ontario's been settled for about three centuries now, and some spots have half a dozen or more overlapping claims.
However, if you get the whole claim thing sorted out, lots of gold has been discovered in Ontario over the years, and fortunes have been made. However, nothing RECENT has been found near where I live, on the northern shore of Lake Ontario, a heavily-glaciated landscape of drumlins. Recent discoveries, like Hemlo, have been well to the north, around Lake Superior. You really have to get up into Canadian Shield country (the Shield being the bare rocks that were once the roots of mountains the glaciers scoured away), which begins where the farms start to peter out (hard to farm bare rock and get much of a crop except . . . . rocks) and "cottage country" starts . . . and people who have weekend cottages to relax from the city for weekends or the summer in tend to take a dim view of someone blasting or digging.
If it's truly recreational prospecting you're interested in (hiking with map and hammer), check with the relevant ministry about the rules and what permissions you have to get, and then just have fun. Up around Bancroft there are gems and semi-precious gems and nickel and copper silver galore, still waiting to be found, if past finds are any good indication.
And there are miles upon miles of wild bush that hasn't been thoroughly searched yet, though geologists with maps and cores and airplanes have tested all the "most likely" areas, following ore veins, et cetera. Again, find out the rules so you don't encounter any unpleasantness, and you could spend several lifetimes looking for rich lodes.
Right near me isn't the place to look, however. I'm about a mile and a half from Lake Ontario, and between me and the lake is a very large cement quarry (where they blast rock all day). Mines are called "gravel pits" around here, because that's all they mine. :}

So saith Ed. Who knows his stuff, as usual (and I know he does; when he was younger and more, er, slender, he spent many weekends exploring caves around Ontario). I know he went prospecting back in public school and again in high school, and found some sodalite and hematite; I'm not sure if he ever found anything more.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 14 Jul 2008 01:57:36
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  00:08:18  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message

COOL. If I ever get to a point where I can miss work,
and not have it hurt my pocketbook, I'm heading north.
You did answer my question about the Shield, because
we have tracer deposits in Northern Missouri, I live
outside St Louis and its a couple of hours away.
Thanks for the info.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  01:27:07  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ed replies:
Hi, Damian! I’ll restrict myself to the pre-Spellplague Cormyr:
Yes, there is a Crown law (brought into being about ten years before the death of King Azoun IV, when Vangerdahast and Alaphondar had an idle month <<snipped for brevity>>

I am truly awed by the alacrity and detail of the response. I know I should be used to Ed's generosity by now, but this reply is AWESOME and has answered lots of the 'un-asked questions' I wanted to post but didn't to keep my post short and to the point. As ever, Ed read around what I asked and provided heaps of magnificient lore for us all to enjoy .

Ed, I raise a glass to you, bottoms up! (and one hopes to get to drink something fizzy with the Lady Herald of Realmslore, as bubbles tend to make ladies laugh)

Many thanks

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  01:56:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And when I laugh, my bubbles do . . . interesting things.
Damian,
Ed says:

You're very welcome. When I have the time to do Realmslore, it's always a pleasure to do so for those who love the Realms. Feel free to pepper me with questions to goad me to "fill in around the edges" of my reply, if you feel the need. As long as I'm breathing, I'm here for Realms fans.
Oh, and BTW: NDAs prevent me from saying anything specific at all, but I've recently read some as-yet-unpublished Realms novels, and all who enjoy Realms fiction are in for more than one treat. :}

So saith Ed. I'm itching to read those novels myself, but of course must wait until they're published.
Damian, I'll raise a glass with him for you, in hopes we can all do it in person someday.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 14 Jul 2008 01:58:57
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  03:10:23  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Well Again!

A question (or three) about the Moonshaes this time, specifically related to the Halls of the High King module, (for me, the best module* written for the Realms, one can run an entire camapign from just those 64 pages, it is a must buy, so if you don't have it then get it! ).

Ed could you provide us with some conjecture on what Gauntather and the other High Hands would do assuming that their plot to sacrifice King Tristan is thwarted by those pesky adventuring types that seem to poke their noses into other peoples business when its not wanted...... ?
Would they continue in their aim to bring back Bane (Xvim) or fall into the 'somewhat less religious' work of carving out an empire and enriching themselves instead? (how, where and why?; and who can seriously oppose them? Flamsterd and the Harpers? Help from Waterdeep/The Lords Alliance?)

Would the failure of Gauntather in bringing tyranny to the Moonshaes be seen by the other High Hands and senior surviving clergy as an indiction that 'his hand' does not seem to be able to crush Bane's enemies and therefore needs removing? In other words would they gang up on him and remove him for failure? Is this the Banite way of dealing with those who fail? Or would his hold and rank over the others save his skin? Am wondering how lesser clergy 'punish' over-ranking clergy and move up the ladder and how accepted it is within the Church to do so, do you need a good reason to kill another priest or will any reason do (assuming you have the power to back up and follow through with your reason).

Re Manshoon's investment in the Risen Cult (which I think is the most interesting part of the entire module). Would I be correct in thinking that Manshoon has invested in other 'rogue' Banite sects around the Realms to act as a possible check against Fzoul and the 'orthodox' doctrine of Bane (Xvim) that he promotes? Can you suggest other geographical areas where Manshoon is secretly supporting Banite Cults that potentially oppose Fzoul and his Moonsea allies?

Finally can you share any more Lore on (Cantrev) Aithelar and its Lord, Haembar 'Hawkenhound' Cauldyth please? (Hawkenhound - nickname or family name?). Its a smashing place just waiting for a small group of young local lads and lasses to start their adventuring careeer in

Once again, thank you for sharing your time with us on Candlekeep.

Damian
*I say the best module, this obviously will be the 2nd best Realms module of all time once WoTC figure out that a 64/96/128/256 (delete as appropriate) page module of Eveningstar, the Haunted Halls and the environs of the the Evenor Lands would be the single best thing that they can let Ed write - I don't care what edition it is written for, just give me the product please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 14 Jul 2008 11:27:48
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  04:09:47  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Spells stilled, crazedadventures:

Mayhap you adventured there before? Do you act as spokesman for
the Crazed Adventurers as Lady Maskes speaks for the
Knights? If so, what kind of goodies can you give us.

Edited by - althen artren on 14 Jul 2008 04:11:27
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  09:15:14  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO!

Just the other day I wondered:

every country has the one name that seems to be the combination of the most common first and most commen last name - like John Smith would be in the US IIRC or Hans Müller in Germany. A name to use as a pleuso your own without raising any unwanted suspicion or attention.

Which names would those be in Cormyr and Sembia?

And Ed'ditional () question:
What happened to the Red Raven Mercenary Company from Arabel and their leader Rayanna the Rose during the Dragon War and afterwards?

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 14 Jul 2008 10:28:38
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  10:16:25  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Spells stilled, crazedadventures:
Mayhap you adventured there before? Do you act as spokesman for
the Crazed Adventurers as Lady Maskes speaks for the
Knights? If so, what kind of goodies can you give us.

I WISH it was so, but alas no....

However I have this little piece (from the Realms mailing list a loong time ago) from Ed about The Company of Crazed Venturers and their first adventure together - it very neatly sums up how Ed runs his games - enjoy

Cheers

Damian
However, my very first Company of Crazed Venturers play session involved a visit to UnderMountain, wherein a first-level fighter fell through a pit trap...(and via a magical gate which the magic item he was unwittingly carrying activated) into Laeral's lap, as she sat soaking in a large tub (what we moderns might call a 'hot tub') with her sister Alustriel, trading gossip about an upcoming MageFair! His subsequent, ah, 'skillful diplomacy' earned him a magical relocation THROUGH the nearest closed door, into the waiting hands of two rather surprised young-and-eager-male-magic-user apprentices, who were waiting for their turn in the tub. They mind-reamed him, jotted down the operation of the gate and relieved him of its magical trigger...and then (under Laeral's orders) teleported him right back into the Company's midst...naked, weaponless, dripping wet, and smelling strongly of Alustriel's forty-herbs bath mix! The funniest part of the play session was the complete refusal of the other players to believe his (stone-cold-truthful) account of what had happened to
him. However, he got his revenge on them some years later, when the Company met formally with Laeral, and she winked and sweetly asked him to go and get the bath ready...

The PC who ended up wearing the door-splinters in that first play-session was one Bralagar Winterhand, who has since become Tolgar's 'seneschal' [chief of security] for Goldenfields. Another PC also had an eventful journey during that session: the half-elven thief Trunnian Regallis rescued a captive elven lady---and got taken through a gate to Evermeet, where he married her and lived happily ever after, adventuring career be d**ned. :}

You see how dangerous it can be, to ask me things? You have an awesome power, list members...use it wisely!

shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 14 Jul 2008 12:21:13
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  17:33:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, everyone! This time I bring more Realmslore from Ed, specifically a reply to the queries posed by crazedventurers about the Moonshaes: “Well Again! A question (or three) about the Moonshaes this time, specifically related to the Halls of the High King module, (for me, the best module* written for the Realms, one can run an entire camapign from just those 64 pages, it is a must buy, so if you don't have it then get it! ).
Ed could you provide us with some conjecture on what Gauntather and the other High Hands would do assuming that their plot to sacrifice King Tristan is thwarted by those pesky adventuring types that seem to poke their noses into other peoples business when its not wanted...... ?
Would they continue in their aim to bring back Bane (Xvim) or fall into the 'somewhat less religious' work of carving out an empire and enriching themselves instead? (how, where and why?; and who can seriously oppose them? Flamsterd and the Harpers? Help from Waterdeep/The Lords Alliance?)
Would the failure of Gauntather in bringing tyranny to the Moonshaes be seen by the other High Hands and senior surviving clergy as an indication that 'his hand' does not seem to be able to crush Bane's enemies and therefore needs removing? In other words would they gang up on him and remove him for failure? Is this the Banite way of dealing with those who fail? Or would his hold and rank over the others save his skin? Am wondering how lesser clergy 'punish' over-ranking clergy and move up the ladder and how accepted it is within the Church to do so, do you need a good reason to kill another priest or will any reason do (assuming you have the power to back up and follow through with your reason).
Re. Manshoon's investment in the Risen Cult (which I think is the most interesting part of the entire module). Would I be correct in thinking that Manshoon has invested in other 'rogue' Banite sects around the Realms to act as a possible check against Fzoul and the 'orthodox' doctrine of Bane (Xvim) that he promotes? Can you suggest other geographical areas where Manshoon is secretly supporting Banite Cults that potentially oppose Fzoul and his Moonsea allies?
Finally can you share any more Lore on (Cantrev) Aithelar and its Lord, Haembar 'Hawkenhound' Cauldyth please? (Hawkenhound - nickname or family name?). Its a smashing place just waiting for a small group of young local lads and lasses to start their adventuring career in.
Once again, thank you for sharing your time with us on Candlekeep.
Damian
*I say the best module, this obviously will be the 2nd best Realms module of all time once WoTC figure out that a 64/96/128/256 (delete as appropriate) page module of Eveningstar, the Haunted Halls and the environs of the the Evenor Lands would be the single best thing that they can let Ed write - I don't care what edition it is written for, just give me the product please!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Ed replies:

Hi, Damian. Glad you like HALLS OF THE HIGH KING. Yes, I sneakily designed it (as much as I could, within the limited pagecount) to be the basis for a campaign; it’s good to know that for you, I succeeded. :} And yes, I’d very much like the chance to someday do Eveningstar properly, with the entire village detailed, about a dozen subplots, the three mini “side dungeons,” and the “how power groups based elsewhere will get involved” guidelines, too.
As before, I’ll try to take the rest of your questions in order.

I see one or two of the High Hands inwardly deciding to just try to seize as much wealth and power as they can for themselves, but concealing their self interest from underlings by doing it in the name of Bane (i.e. purporting to be carrying on with the holy Cause). To do otherwise will leave them without the believers to work for them, get them food and money, and provide other support; they’ll be on their own. They would start in the Moonshaes, purportedly still loyal High Hands, until they had amassed good ships, substantial wealth, and some competent underlings whose loyalty they have begun to wean away from the Cause and more to personally being loyal to them. Then they would depart for Luskan or Neverwinter or Tharsult or Tethyr, seeking to carve out their own criminal empires, to end up living like a (tyrant) lord somewhere.

Gauntather wouldn’t be one of these, not out of any great piety, but because Banites DO tend to kill Banites who fail, and he’ll see himself as trapped, known to all on the Moonshaes who serve the Cause he’s so energetically fostered. Instead, he will announce that he didn’t think this first attempt would succeed, but it did accomplish his secret aim: flushing adventuring bands and other foes of the Cause out into the open, so they can be destroyed. He will hurl all the Banites he can into ambushes on the PCs and other adventurers, making liberal use of poisoned weapons, harrying sleeping or exhausted adventurers, and sacrificing on his altars all he can capture alive.
At the same time, he will tell the other High Hands that not only must they try again to capture and sacrifice King Tristan, they must also seek all other “royal” rulers in the Moonshaes (of all the races, up to and including dryads) and sacrifice THEM, lest death by misadventure or other hands rob them of Tristan as a sacrifice. “The Cause must prevail!”

Flamsterd is most interested in his magical researches; he will be irked every time his attention is drawn away from his work, and will respond to High Hand (or other) violence and tyranny with short, violent spell-hurling responses (he has staves of power and others of his own devising that he can wield) or by coercing or hiring adventurers (sometimes using gates [3e portals] to bring adventurers from mainland Faerûn) to fight the Banites. The most dogged resistance to the High Hand will be local Harpers, who will work alone or in small bands (four or less) simply because they are so thin on the ground. Mistrusted by local rulers throughout the Moonshaes (who will also be suspicious of any forays by the Lord Alliance), they will only be able to get cooperation if the High Hand starts to conquer large areas (i.e. not until it’s quite possibly too late).
The Lords’ Alliance will act somewhat like the modern real-world UN does: sending envoys first, to fact-gather, and then more envoys to engage in delicate diplomacy (whilst the High Hand work goes on, unimpeded), then argue amongst themselves as to what the best policy is (Alliance members don’t want to see other Alliance members achieve any trade or influence toeholds in the Moonshaes, and so will work to stymie and offset efforts of fellow Alliance members), and THEN move, sending in ships full of troops - - almost certainly too late.
All of which means, of course, that it’s all up to the PCs. :}

And yes, the lowest of the Banites are of two sorts: the very lowest, venal thugs who obey orders because they can see that it will be death not to do so, but who are only in it for what they can personally glean; and those who are soon promoted one rung over the thugs: those who hope for a better life, and see Bane as the way to achieving it, and dare to believe in all of this, and become dedicated faithful. THEY are the true danger, because if Gauntather or all of the High Hands are slain, replacements will well up from below (from the cleverest, most Machiavellian, and most zealous of the believers).

Yes, the failure of Gauntather in bringing tyranny to the Moonshaes will be seen by many Banites as an indication that 'his hand' does not seem to be able to crush Bane's enemies and therefore needs removing.
Not by most of the High Hands, who are inwardly non-believers (or becoming so) swiftly, and who see these “god trappings” as a road to power rather than a Cause they believe in [remember, they all believe in ALL the gods, but like all Faerûnians, tend to look hard at human interpretations of the will and aims of the gods; Bane is GONE, and even if this will bring him back, is it the right way? Is it what Bane wants? Is it what other gods want, or is it the sin of sins? Gauntather is a more than a little crazed, after all . . .]. They will support Gauntather so as to keep themselves as safe and powerful as possible, until they see that supporting Gauntather is no longer likely to keep them “at the top.”
However, the “believer” clergy beneath the High Hands in the ranks of the Risen Cult are a different matter. They WILL try to “gang up” on Gauntather (not all as one, but there will be various attempts by various factions and cabals), to remove him for failure. This IS the Banite way of dealing with those who fail. The strong smash those whose weakness or disloyalty has been revealed, to cleanse and strengthen the faith. Bane is, after all, Lord of Tyrants (Lord of Tyranny).
Gauntather knows all of this very well, and will certainly seek to use his hold and rank over the others to save his skin. Not only will he hurl orders in all directions to energetically pursue the aims I outlined above, he will also announce that there are unholy traitors within the Cause, who have helped bring about the failure to sacrifice Tristan (and any other reverses the Risen Cult has suffered). They must be found and burned alive (or just killed if that can’t be arranged). He will order certain zealous priests to seek these traitors among their fellows, setting every priest against all the rest, so none of them will have time and unfettered opportunities enough to strike against him.

Within the faith, you DO need a good reason to kill another priest (or your actions are seen as “wasteful” and “disloyal to the Church” because the death you cause weakens it), so killing priests in front of other priests for no reason at all other than you can catch them at a momentary disadvantage will get you deemed a “traitor” and hunted down. However, if you can catch a rival alone, and can trump up a reason that will stick (and remember, Speak With Dead will be used on the corpse), you can slay them and then announce you discovered their “unholy treachery” and confronted them about it, imploring them to pray to Bane for forgiveness, but they instead attacked you, so you had no choice but to slay them.
Other priests will accept this explanation even if it’s clear you ambushed a bound or sleeping rival from behind, and didn’t really “implore” them to do anything (except die), but they won’t accept such a killing if you have no evidence at all of the Banite you killed being “up to something” (such as building a personal cabal within the Church, disobeying the orders of superiors, withholding wealth for themselves rather than giving it to the Church, and meeting with clergy of other faiths without reporting it to superiors, or without their prior sanction). Now, many priests of Bane are guilty of such things, but proving it can be difficult. Fellow priests (often members of your own cabal) who verbally support your claims are often sufficient - - but you and they may well be denounced by members of the dead priest’s cabal, who come out of the proverbial woodwork to accuse you and your witnesses of “unholy treachery.” And so it goes. The obvious perils of all of this are what keeps the Church of Bane from being one ongoing bloodbath where the High Imperceptor will be the “last priest standing,” and rule a church of animated undead or cowed villagers or no one at all. Bane himself has been known to “smite down the wasteful” by sending bolts of black lightning snaking from his altar, chasing targets around corners like magic missiles, to seriously injure or kill priests he regards as having been too brutal in their butcherings of fellow priests (who are, after all, his valued assets).

And yes, you are indeed correct in thinking that Manshoon has secretly fostered and supported other 'rogue' Banite sects around the Realms to act as a possible check against Fzoul and the 'orthodox' doctrine of Bane (Xvim).
These include the Black Chanters in Memnon, the Black Flame of Tyranny in the Vilhon Reach, and the Lords of the Lord in Tharsult, plus tutors who are readying new priests to found their own cults, in camps in the “wild forests” of the Velen Peninsula in Tethyr. He has his eye on Sembia, Impiltur, and the Tashalar for sites to found new cults, too, and is seeking to secretly recruit support among certain nobles of Waterdeep.

As for Aithelar, there was an NDA on this (for fiction by another author reasons), and I’ll have to check and see if it’s lifted. Until then, I can say that ‘Hawkenhound’ was Haembar Cauldyth’s famous-for-hunting father’s nickname (yes, it was then “Hawk-And-Hound”), and is now Haembar’s own nickname, bestowed on him by his people, not taken by himself. And yes, Aithelar is a great place to start adventuring from, and in. :}

So saith Ed. Who hopes all of this is of help, and also sent me a brief note for two other scribes:

Zandilar: I’m still seeking that one last file, and then I’ll reply re. the Women of the Woods! Kuje, the same applies re. the Reaching Wood.

So there you all have it, for now. Ed will return with more Realmslore as soon as he can.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  17:41:57  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Cool beans, waits for it. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  21:02:58  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Thank you Ed for another fantastic reply.

The internal politics of Bane make for some very interesting possibilities both within the Church and within the Zhentarim as well (and as ever Manshoon is the master strategist trying to keep his position in place and everyone else down).

The politics within the Banite Clergy are great, everyone knows that everyone else is working against (at various levels) the orders of the church to better themselves so therefore are 'traitors' and everyone knows that these traitors should be dealt with, but you can't just do it without a good reason and of course, whilst you think you have a good reason the upper ranks might not...... Brilliant (its like playing the Paranoia RPG, but with a bit more nastiness).

It seems to me that the strength of the Church is also holding it back from achieving its aims. Though internally strong and lawful with a strict code and powerful members/'allies' (beholders, dark naga's et al), the faith of Bane demands discord and tyranny, and the priests spend too much time competing against each other to be tyrannical and not against Faerun in general. If they could all just agree on one cause and then fully put aside their vindictiveness to each other, Faerun would be a much darker place.

Take care Ed

Damian
who is off to ponder what would happen if all the Banite priests agreed to go on crusade and how the heroes (PC's) have to convince them otherwise. I can see a very long, complicated and delicately played mini-campaign ahead

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  23:46:21  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed I have a two identical NPC twins who are leaders of a growing hamlet, one is a cleric of Shandukal, the other a mage of Azuth, they both pretend to be same person answering to last name only so as to never be lying. They use a tactic of assiting folks far and wide in hopes of getting same folks to agree to assist in the growth of the hamlet for a number of months or years, how would a mage bind someone to such an agreement?

I looking for magics where the person is aware he/she is being bound to the agreement and I'm looking for magics where the person would be unaware they've been bound by agreeing to service. The folks believe leader is a mage so what would need to be done if cleric of Shandukal is standing in for his brother? When they come across clerics of other faiths or other mages then I'm assuming they form mage pacts and get clerics to swear upon deity to term of service, yes? How are these enforced or what can one do to enforce these agreements?
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  23:48:24  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

I await the answer with baited breath...

Thanks Ed and THO.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  21:14:30  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Spells Stilled, Ed:

I just had a thought. I am an adventurer (epic-level). I live in 1485 DR, after the Spellplague. I come across an ancient tomb in Netheril and in in find the spellbooks of the archwizards Chronomancer, which details out the Time Conduit spell. Now, I have lost alot in the Spellplague and am extremely bitter, but now figure that I have a way to get back to the right time period to possible cancel the effect. I get my other epic-level buddies, go gather some artifacts for help, and head back in time. There is no Mystra, there are no dieties that are monitoring time travel, (at least to my knowledge after the death of Mystra in 1385 DR).
I cast the spell and my party and I go back in time to before 1385 DR.
Now by definition of the dieties, they have the ability to see a number of weeks into the future or into the past of any individual who are acting within their portfolio. So, by default, Mystra SHOULD
be able to see us using magic and time travelling, should be able to see where we come from and what will happen to her. EVEN, if she can't see into our minds and now what the future is, (by those who deem it so, cough*WOTC*cough) since we are coming into a time period where time travel is regulated by her and the Weave still exists:

* Are we free of the restriction of using the Weave ways of harnessing since we have learned to use magic based on something else to harness and tap magical energy?
* Would the diety's that would profit from the Spellplague read our minds and sent their entire arsenal of believers to stop us?
* Even if we use the 3.x Teleport through Time found on the archives of WOTC website, we should have the abiltiy to do something right?
* Are we free from the regulations of Mystra's decress since we come from a future where those regulations and limitations do not exist, because of our non-Weave magic system?
* Finally, can you even talk about any of this? (Guess what my answer is.)

Please, any scribe who would like to chime in please feel free to do so.
Althen
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  00:20:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Pre-Spellplague spells require the Weave to function. The spells themselves are conduits to the Weave and the magical effects created by them are as a result of this interface.

Hence, even if you find the 'time conduit' spell, you won't be able to use it. You may be able to (with appropriate DM adjudication) transform said spell into a 4E ritual.

My view then is that if you are successful in coming back to the past you will be unable to use your 4E 'spellcasting' abilities as the Weave blocks your attempts to bypass it and access the 'raw stuff of magic' that I assume is still what powers arcane spellcasters in the Realms (not knowing how this works in 4E makes this somewhat hypothetical, of course).

In the circumstances your arcane spellcasters will have to learn how to access the weave to cast spells (assuming they can find some spells to memorise in Vancian style) and will revert to 3.XE edition spellcasters, in my view. The same goes for priests.

Finally, Ed noted in a previous post here at the Keep that as of the 1370s DR Mystra had officially 'shutdown' time travel to the point that 'time conduit' no longer worked and there was something up with the time gates.

That brings me to your last series of questions. Mystra would be instantly aware of your time travelling from the future, but I have a feeling that Ao's influence would make her unable to ascertain the whys and whens of it. As for your memories, she would wipe them herself (frustrated no doubt that all she can glean is that you are from the future and wondering how it is that she has once again allowed time travel - believing that she will continue to exist into the future) and ensure that you didn't get to go "Back to the Future".

So basically what I'm saying is that post-Spellplague adventurers who go back in time to before 1385 DR become 3.XE adventurers with no knowledge of the future and Spellplague events and stay there. So what you are doing is getting retro and playing 3.XE.

I'm sure Ed will chime in with the right answer in due course.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000