Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  05:45:42  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thank You Lady,
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  14:52:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time I bring Ed of the Greenwood's Realmslore response to this, from scribe Charles Phipps: "Hey Ed, I'm back. Our current campaign has changed a bit since A Study in Perversity which I hoped you enjoyed. Today, one of the players had a fun idea for our latest attempt at 4Eing the Realms. In this case, they have the unusual desire to become Evil Overlords. Yes, our little Saurons and Voldemorts in training love the Forgotten Realms so much they want to carve themselves a piece of it. So for the sake of humor, any places in the Realms you'd argue are ripe for conquest and advice for groups to ally with in conquering such (and hopefully maintaining your prize) if you have absolutely no scruples?"
Ed replies:

Hi, Charles. Yes, I enjoyed Study In Perversity very much. The current PC direction of your campaign doesn't surprise me overmuch, either. :}
There are some prize "targets" in the Realms right now (I'm speaking pre-Spellplague, of course, being as NDAs remain waiting and watchful until August), aside from the obvious one (the border Kingdoms). They include: many of the cities of the Vilhon, much of the Wizards Reach if one wants to build rather than conquer, a few of the cities of the Tashalar and in Dambrath and on the trade routes between, and select places around the Golden Gulf.
If one doesn't mind facing nascent but obvious threats (future orc hordes), one can add Luskan and various Sword Coast north communities to that list, too.
Heh. Have fun. :}

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms and many of its threats. Toppler of thrones he created, as one of my fellow players once put it.
love to all,
THO
P.S. createvmind, you're very welcome. Keep those questions coming; Ed is always happy to entertain your queries.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 07 Jul 2008 14:54:46
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  15:00:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes!
Looking over the increasing mounds of questions that have built up on Ed's platter since 2004, and with a deep courtesy in the direction of those of you who have given your gracious patience, I am moved to ask, as Ed toils along:

Which are the most urgent outstanding lore requests?

I know we would all like "our" question answered immediately, if not sooner, but with that said, what should Ed try to clear up first?

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  16:08:11  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Looking over the increasing mounds of questions that have built up on Ed's platter since 2004, and with a deep courtesy in the direction of those of you who have given your gracious patience, I am moved to ask, as Ed toils along:

I know we would all like "our" question answered immediately, if not sooner, but with that said, what should Ed try to clear up first?

love to all,
THO

All I have to say is you are very brave Hooded One, very brave indeed to invite an avalanche upon yourself!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  16:29:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

love to all,
THO

Well, I know that none of my own outstanding questions are in any dire need of answering. In fact, I'm rather content to just let Ed approach them in his own time. So no worries on this end THO.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  17:44:13  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
quote:

love to all,
THO

Dear Malla Hooded One!

Let me take you by the scruff of the hood here, so to speak, and come back to my questions of page 37:

quote:
... one question. When did Ed get the leave from the Wizards to write as expessively on the females' behaviour (bare here, there and everywhere and very well aware of it) as he did in this book? What a change from many other a novel. Uhm ... which is not to say that I'd promote somesuch in the future, but this element of the novel was a surprise inclusion and very ... refreshing.

(To my defence, someone else did the review on Knight of Myth Drannor I, so I'll have to wait till I lay my hands on that book to see how the females behaved therein.)

(PS: Did Pennae ever expressed her thanks to that Chauntea priest "in person"? Have we any clue who that was, BTW?)

It are, actually, the "PS" lines that this reader is most interested in.

Aluve, Zanan!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  18:54:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

love to all,
THO

I don't even recall all of my outstanding queries... And I know Ed has answered at least one, after I forgot about asking it!

Is there any way we could see the list of outstanding queries? That would help jog some memories... I'd be willing to help present this, if need be. A dedicated thread might be the place to review such questions... If y'all would like my assistance in posting that here, PM or email me and I'll be glad to help.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  19:29:00  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message
quote:

THO

The only reason I would "raise my hand" in regards to 'sooner rather than later' on my recent query, would be that my request about Ed's rules for powdering and crushing gems for magical use (based on VGtATM) and creating spell-holding gems is general enough to be used by anyone running a 2nd edition game (or any edition, for that matter), as well as being useful info in general...and I'm going to have a wizard and a cleric PC hounding me about these matters as soon as I reveal these possible uses of gems to them!

Although, if you can remember any of the Knights ever crushing/powdering gems, or creating spell-holding gems and what Ed's rules were for them, oh lovely and wise THO, that would be "good as gold" as well for me.

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  21:34:21  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
I know this is going to sound slightly off,
but has Ed ever thought about getting help
with our lore questions so he can concentrate
on his paying gigs.

BTW Ed, when I said "We are going to break you, old man."
I really didn't mean it. The statement about your declining
health from Madam Hooded was slightly disquieting.

*raise hand very slowly*
I vote for Vaults of Uvaeren lore, since Myth Drannor
is being restored.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  21:58:52  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
I myself am dying to know more about the lady whom Vangy and Mordenkainen (sp?) both courted and failed to win.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  22:23:42  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Lady perhaps you can answer this before its sent off to ED, just how much metal can a druid carry before it interferes with his conduit with nature/deity rapport when you all played? From reading the Sentinelspire I get the sense that metal need not be worn by a druid to violate oath but just carried by one, did this come up in gameplay?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  22:43:04  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't even recall all of my outstanding queries... And I know Ed has answered at least one, after I forgot about asking it!

Is there any way we could see the list of outstanding queries? That would help jog some memories... I'd be willing to help present this, if need be. A dedicated thread might be the place to review such questions... If y'all would like my assistance in posting that here, PM or email me and I'll be glad to help.

That's my problem to. I can't even remember what questions I asked, it's been so long on some of them. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  23:05:49  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

love to all,
THO

Well, I know that none of my own outstanding questions are in any dire need of answering. In fact, I'm rather content to just let Ed approach them in his own time. So no worries on this end THO.

I have to agree, actually. While it's true that I'd love to have all the questions that I've asked answered ASAP, I'm contented to wait. I know he'll get to me when he has the time.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

dravenloft
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  00:39:03  Show Profile  Visit dravenloft's Homepage Send dravenloft a Private Message
quote:

love to all,
THO

The one or two of mine remaining are certainly of no urgent importance so Ed can take all the time he likes with them.

Space Opera, Planetary Romance, Speculative Fiction and similar by me.
check it out at http://universal-nexus.com
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  03:21:47  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Dear Ed and dear Lady Hooded:

My only lore request at this point (i.e. I do not mind dropping all other requests if Ed is too busy, but there *is* one request I would not mind seeing answered one day, if at all possible, of course) pertains to the gnomes of Faerûn.

Anything related to gnomes, which would expand playability or depth of character... ancient gnome burrows, current gnome villages, famous/powerful gnome characters throughout the continent, etc. Not just the usual "they live with humans in ghettos" explanation (i.e. although I know it is true for many races in Faerûn, saying X number of gnomes live in ghettos here, here and there does little to conjure the cultural elements of the Forgotten Folk).

For some reason, I have personally played gnomes time and time again, especially when fortunate enough to find a DM who uses the Realms as his home... and everytime, I found next to nothing on gnomes. Maybe I should have played a drow? then I could have drawn from a deep well of knowledge... but nay! I kept hoping that the time of gnomes would come... (alas, with 4E and the Spellplague... and gnomes being in the Monster Manual now, being relegated to a "backup race for later," well, hope is fading! )
Go to Top of Page

HunterOfStorms
Acolyte

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  03:25:03  Show Profile  Visit HunterOfStorms's Homepage Send HunterOfStorms a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

TThat's my problem to. I can't even remember what questions I asked, it's been so long on some of them. :)

Hmm, I think I fall into this camp too. I'm sure I have one or two outstanding queries, but nothing urgent. I'm happy with any lore snippets that Ed can spare in his valuable time to impart to us.

That said, I do have a new query Any information on moon elf clan structure would be greatly appreciated - I don't just mean a noble family, but the House structure as in how other non-noble families may work or be organised within a House and to what degree these affiliated families/individuals may be beholden to the House they serve?
As a side question - when two elven nobles marry, does relative status/rank determine which House the lineage shall pass down through?
These also are completely non-urgent

Once again, a big thank you to both THO and Ed for their time and patience.
Ed, take care of yourself, pace yourself man, we have years of queries left.

Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  05:22:47  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
<cues ominous thunder> All hail Master of the Green Wood! Master of the Shadowfell soon to be!

I am still wondering about how deities became 20 hit die Outsiders (October 2007). Yes, it's a "God question." Answers to any and all "God questions" are always most welcome.

I believe that I also asked Ed somewhen about mundane timekeeping devices in the Realms (who uses what where and how accurate are they?). I am cognizant of the hour-marking candles in Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog and "Da Roni's" clock described in the back of it.

I'm not sure if I asked this or not, but I wanted the answer last night as to how many ranks a 3.0 sage needs in major and minor fields in order to be at the same level of puissance as an OD&D sage?

Since it is (come August) more than a century gone, I'm still jonesing for the answers to my Yellow Snake Pass veil question. Against who at WotC do I have to make an Intimidate check to dispel Otiluke's Generic Wizard's NDA Screen?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  08:40:52  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I am with sage on this one! All my unanswered querries (which should only be 2 or 3 at the most, IIRC) can wait!

Ergdusch

P.S.: Maybe someone should lock this scroll until the all open questions are answered?!?!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  14:25:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I don't think it's necessary to temporarily close this scroll. Ed's likely to still answer random questions when he can, and the Lady Hooded One will need a place to post them.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  15:08:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
PLEASE don't lock it! I haven't time to peer into all of the threads here at the Keep seeking questions directed at Ed or at me, or that we're best suited to answer. For years Ed has tried (with a few lapses) to keep to an "answer a day" schedule, and he intends to get right back to that as soon as he can, so closing the thread would disrupt that. Besides, much of the charm of the Keep is the ability to set forth a question whenever it strikes you to do so, and a closed door on a thread certainly doesn't help with that!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  15:21:14  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Heck no! We won't go!!!

:snicker:

Edited by - createvmind on 08 Jul 2008 15:22:03
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  15:25:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all! Speak of Realmslore from the Master, and ye shall receive . . .
Back in May, scribe Landro posed this question to Ed: “I'm new to this forum, but one has to start somwhere. I was wondering if there was much in the way of established lore on the topic of ArchLiches in the realms? How does one become an archlich? Are the rituals any different than those used by regular liches, or does the future lich just suck up the evil and hope they don't get tainted too badly in the process? Are there any archliches of note outside the one alredy mentioned in Waterdeep: City of Splendors? How are they viewed by Faerun at large, or at least in the main centres?”
Ed now replies:

The Sage has ably directed you to all of the official lore coverage that’s of use (with one old, 1st Edition exception: the Bazaar of the Bizarre DRAGON article in which Len Lakofka described one process of achieving lichdom).
In REF5 LORDS OF DARKNESS, I described another process, and a DM can readily combine that and the “use this spell and then this one” approach I described in VOLO’S GUIDE TO ALL THINGS MAGICAL to derive other roads by which living humans become lichnee.
An archlich must almost always create their own ritual, and get it right (yes, it’s difficult; the analogy of the human with a kitchen knife trying to do surgery on himself unaided at his kitchen table is a good one). This is due to the fact that “good” liches are very rare, seldom preserve their processes in detailed notes for others to find, and such records, when they do exist, are apt to be stolen and kept hidden (or destroyed) by mages seeking their own road to lichdom or priests of death, undeath, or similar portfolios who have their own reasons for trying to control access to lichdom.
There are a few archliches who are willing to instruct others in how to achieve their state, but there are also some who are decidedly unwilling, deeming archlichdom “not for everyone” and so on.
So, yes, the rituals are different, and trying to stay “good” whilst following an evil ritual is not an option (being as most of the rituals used by evil liches involve murder, desecration of the dead, and other decidedly non-good acts or ingredients only obtainable through such acts).
Yes, there are about a dozen archliches of note (as in: they have done things publicly that have brought them to the attention of rulers, the Harpers, the Heralds, and other power groups), and probably as many more who cleave to lower public profiles, but who may be provoked into dramatic deeds at some future time.
And finally, most of Faerûn knows archliches only through bardic ballads, tavern talk, fireside ghost tales, and other legends. Which means “the average commoner in the Realms” certainly believes good liches exist, but has never seen one, and remains to be convinced of their precise powers, nature, and “how good they’ll be if I meet one!”

So saith Ed, creator of the archlich (upon editorial direction, by Jeff Grubb I believe, to add “good liches” to the game rules).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  15:30:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

PLEASE don't lock it! I haven't time to peer into all of the threads here at the Keep seeking questions directed at Ed or at me, or that we're best suited to answer. For years Ed has tried (with a few lapses) to keep to an "answer a day" schedule, and he intends to get right back to that as soon as he can, so closing the thread would disrupt that. Besides, much of the charm of the Keep is the ability to set forth a question whenever it strikes you to do so, and a closed door on a thread certainly doesn't help with that!
love to all,
THO

Fear not, my Lady. This scroll will remain open. I'm happy to see Ed's answer schedule maintained.

Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  15:32:25  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message
quote:

Purely for selfish reasons, I'd be more than elated (what's more than elated?) to get some lore about the holder of the position of Diadar, the Herald's office in Amphail in the year 1375. I've just started DMing a campaign in Amphail and this is the only bit of lore that eludes me.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  15:40:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Neriandal Freit recently asked (in response to my mentioning Ed’s lore regarding the River Styx): “THO - do you know if any of that detailed information is available? that would certainly be wonderful stuff to have for my Redeemers of Dawn (that I'll need to do something with kudos of 4.0)
Edit: Lady, do you know if Ed (or even your self?) ever had the chance to look over the Redeemers in the Compendiums latest edition?”

Neriandal, I can’t post any of that lore verbatim without the permission of Wizards of the Coast. Who would probably prefer to publish it in formal, public-pay-for-it format, if at all. Sorry. That’s the difference in the original Realms agreement between Ed answering a question here by revealing new lore or providing his opinion, as opposed to extensively quoting something Ed’s already been paid for, and that TSR (now WotC) already owns. (Even cutting-room-floor outtakes, if they were written and submitted as part of a project, are owned by the company.)
I’m certain that Ed hasn’t seen the latest Compendium, because I haven’t downloaded it and sent it to him yet. Nor have I seen it yet; we’ve both been very busy lately. Apologies; I’ll rectify that state of affairs straightaway!
love,
THO
P.S. I'm sending all of your replies to my "which questions first" queries to Ed, verbatim, to let him be swayed (or not) without me as filter. We'll all await the result.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  15:42:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, and thanks, Sage.
My gratitude is warm, genuine, and . . . generous.
If you want me, I'm one navel-sipping couch over from the Lady K. Where she and I can easily reach each other, of course.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  16:28:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Oh my. Can I add my fiancée to that little party?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  17:12:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Oh, and thanks, Sage.
My gratitude is warm, genuine, and . . . generous.
If you want me, I'm one navel-sipping couch over from the Lady K. Where she and I can easily reach each other, of course.
love,
THO

And then afterward... perhaps both you and the Lady K could enjoy a little zzar wrestling at the Roaring Dragon House, eh?

Edited by - The Sage on 08 Jul 2008 17:12:55
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  18:19:30  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Steady! Steady!

Well met, good Lady. I still have long-standing questionsabout:

° the obsessions of arch-liches (how do they acquire them; is that acquisition an inescapable part of the ritual, imposed by whoknowswhat; is it an arcane spell focus; etc.);

° the backstory of the sword in the proverbial middle of nowhere, down in Amn or Tethyr or some such place, which Ed wrote of in Dragon Magazine;

° the history of the Spellweaver Empire on Faerun.

I eagerly await further information on these matters in addition to the others which I mentioned yesterday.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 08 Jul 2008 18:21:39
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  18:35:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

° the backstory of the sword in the proverbial middle of nowhere, down in Amn or Tethyr or some such place, which Ed wrote of in Dragon Magazine;

"Mystery of the Plains" in Dragon 202? Good call.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000