Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  00:40:43  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Oh, Ed, since you asked.

Here's the first adventure of two that chronicles the PCs handling of the Illance family.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10961

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  02:28:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Charles, Ed is tied up with family matters and frantic paid writing (vastly overdue) too, right now, but * I * certainly enjoyed your Illance-related adventure writeup. Nice (nasty, but nicely done, I should say). I've sent this new page of postings off to Ed, and he'll no doubt check out your descriptive thread of the adventure and get back to me some time in the next few days.
(He may also, judging by past Ed performance, surprise me out of the blue with an answer to an older lore query, from any page of any of these Questions for Eddie threads since they were established in 2004, before then.)
love,
THO
P.S. To the scribes who were wondering as to the fates of Sharess in the "new" Realms, I believe, from the MANNER of Ed's verbal response to me during our last phone call (rather than any specific words of his), that Sharess is still around in some form or another in the 4e version of the Realms. Again, this is an inference on my part rather than a definitive confirmation on his.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 04 May 2008 02:42:34
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  02:39:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
createvmind, I'm away from home at the moment (work-related trip) and so have no access to my rulebooks. I honestly can't recall if "surrendering" to animal forms a human has shapechanged into is covered in any D&D or Realms sourcebooks or rules as a specific risk, but I CAN say that it is a recurring theme in fantasy fiction, from Tolkien (Radagast and the two "blue" Istari becoming "lost" for a time in the life of Middle-Earth, straying from their tasks; the ents who "turn tree") through McKillip (the shapechanging lord in Hed who "forgets himself" and remains the tree he's turned into) and Eddings and many, many other writers before and after . . . including Ed, though again I can't remember if he's explored this extensively in his Realms writing or only in his Aglirta, Falconfar, and unrelated fantasy short story writings.
It does make for great roleplaying opportunities and adds a "possible price" to magic use that can make it at once more interesting and more momentous. As a DM, it should be something that afflicts Player Characters very rarely (and gives them saving throws to "snap out of," if they succumb to it), to be used more for great storytelling purposes rather than anything players come to view as a "Dm's weapon, used against us."
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  03:29:19  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks Lady,

Not looking for rules but rather if this ever occured in game session with Ed and how he dealt with it.

Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  04:38:04  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

So saith Ed. Creator of Goldenfields and Waterdeep and the Realms all around them. Afet, I know Ed has read “Guns, Germs, and Steel” as well as “Rats, Lice, and History” and for that matter many books, from long-ago L. Sprague deCamp titles to far more recent releases, on what inventions and innovations occurred when, and what effects they had. (I’m away from my own books right now, and am trying to recall the title of one Ed mentioned to me a year-and-some ago; something about “Windmills, Waterwheels, and - -” something or other . . . Anyway, his shelves bristle with such tomes [Salt, A World History, a similar book about rice, all sorts of books on medieval engineers and how they must or could have built Stonehenge, Roman aqueducts, roads, et al.]
love to all,
THO

Probably Cathedral, Forge, and Waterwheel by the de Gies. They also did Life in Medieval city, Village, etc. Good book, I liked it better than Gimpel's The Medieval Machine which covers the same territory.

Another interesting book I can recommend is Gift of the Jews, by Thomas Cahill (follows up on How the Irish Saved Civilization). It is interesting in that the premise is how that the early Jews had a different world viewpoint, which evolved into the basis for Western Civilization. Before that, it was a completely alien worldview, with polytheism and a person's role in the cosmos. I always want to suggest that book whenever someone doesn't understand Ed's comments concerning using the 20th , er, 21st century views, morals, and such and applying them to the Realms. It is a completely different viewpoint.

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  06:25:55  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati
Another interesting book I can recommend is Gift of the Jews, by Thomas Cahill (follows up on How the Irish Saved Civilization). It is interesting in that the premise is how that the early Jews had a different world viewpoint, which evolved into the basis for Western Civilization. Before that, it was a completely alien worldview, with polytheism and a person's role in the cosmos.

I don't quite understand. "Polytheism and a person's role in the universe" were alien? Alien to whom? Is it that we today would find the way it was back then alien?

quote:
I always want to suggest that book whenever someone doesn't understand Ed's comments concerning using the 20th , er, 21st century views, morals, and such and applying them to the Realms. It is a completely different viewpoint.

Here again I don't follow you. First, what were, basically, Ed's comments? Second, does "It" in the last sentence refer to the book's viewpoint or Ed's or the viewpoint of people way back then? third, this viewpoint is different from who's viewpoint? Sorry for being obtuse.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  10:40:38  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Thanks Hooded One.

I actually added the second part of the adventure (performed tonight) at the original section.

I hope Ed enjoys it too and points out any errors.

*hugs*

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10961

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  11:15:15  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Well Met Ed and THO

As a follow up to the Goldenfields answer, do communities keep extensive warrens and fish ponds to supplement food production. If so would there be similar advancements in creating the right type of environment for the rabbits and fish to flourish? (either 'natural' or magical)

Also do other faiths use similar 'bountyful prayers' a la Chauntea to increase crop yields, animal husbandry, growth of trees etc to 'speed up/ensure productivity.

Do wizards get involved in this work, for instance would the Crown of Cormyr encourage Wizards of War to develop spells that banish pests or create 'instant fertiliser' etc?

Thanks

Damian

quote:
Ed replies:
Goldenfields is a vast walled temple-farm where hundreds of acres of fields are tended with zeal, full irrigation, and expertise matched nowhere else among humans regarding “companion planting” (carrots love tomatoes, et al

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  14:07:09  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
P.S. To the scribes who were wondering as to the fates of Sharess in the "new" Realms, I believe, from the MANNER of Ed's verbal response to me during our last phone call (rather than any specific words of his), that Sharess is still around in some form or another in the 4e version of the Realms. Again, this is an inference on my part rather than a definitive confirmation on his.

This actually makes my heart sink...

I've not been keeping up on the WotC Forums recently, so I haven't heard anything new... But knowing what's happened to some of my favorites (the Days of our House of the Triad/The Bold and the Brightwater plot springs immediately to mind as one of those things that kills my heart as far as the Realms go), any news of my favorites surviving into 4e doesn't bode well for them IMHO. (The plot I referred to above is the one in AGHotR in which Tymora acts very wildly out of character (agreeing to an arranged marriage? Her? To someone as stuffy as Tyr? You're kidding me, right?). On top of that, she gets treated like an object rather than a being with her own thoughts/plans/emotions. And I won't go on about Sune (organizing a politically motivated arranged marriage?), Tyr (going off the deep end seemingly without any justification at all?), and Helm (the poor schmuck caught in the middle) - all (except maybe our poor schmuck Helm) acting completely out of character (yes, that is in my opinion)... I imagine Ed might say something along the lines of "well you don't know everything yet!", but I really can't see how any of that could logically make sense at all... OH and I've rambled on too long anyway - so enough from me!)

It might be a completely irrational reaction on my behalf, and I may have missed out on "did we say that? No what we mean is <insert milder fate here that actually makes sense>" retractions from the designers, as I have not been on the WotC forums recently.

(Oh, and by the way, Ed... Thanks very much for your last response to my questions about names and Myrmeen's child and NDAs, it was quite enlightening! )

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  15:46:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Zandilar and all, your posts go off to Ed, who is busy busy busy again, but WILL return with a reply of some sort later today or on the morrow.
Charles, I read the second half of your adventure (also sent off to Ed), and have to admit to literally falling out of my chair laughing when Alusair snorted.

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  19:34:55  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
quote:

Heh. Off this goes to Ed, but I know what I'd say, if I was your DM:

I'm sure they can help agriculturally, if you can keep them un-assassinated.

love,
THO

That's pretty much where I was going as well. Could make for an interesting (if extremely short-lived) campaign.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Agnitio Veridicus
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  20:53:58  Show Profile  Visit Agnitio Veridicus's Homepage Send Agnitio Veridicus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar
(The plot I referred to above is the one in AGHotR in which Tymora acts very wildly out of character (agreeing to an arranged marriage? Her? To someone as stuffy as Tyr? You're kidding me, right?). On top of that, she gets treated like an object rather than a being with her own thoughts/plans/emotions. And I won't go on about Sune (organizing a politically motivated arranged marriage?), Tyr (going off the deep end seemingly without any justification at all?), and Helm (the poor schmuck caught in the middle) - all (except maybe our poor schmuck Helm) acting completely out of character (yes, that is in my opinion)... I imagine Ed might say something along the lines of "well you don't know everything yet!", but I really can't see how any of that could logically make sense at all... OH and I've rambled on too long anyway - so enough from me!)

What, you think it's implausable that a group of millenia old divine beings would suddenly begin acting as if they were drunken and none-too-bright mortals? For shame. Only brilliance and cutting edge creativity doth spring from the great minds at the helm of today's Realms! :)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  01:45:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring another pinch of Realmslore for all scribes from Ed of the Greenwood, this time in response to GoCeraf’s question: “Mr. Greenwood, If someone were unable to think of a word, or lost his train of thought in the middle of the sentence, what vocalizations would he say? For instance, I say "Erm," or "Ah" (I try to avoid "Uh," because it does not sound particularly intelligent).
Would this also vary by language? I know that the Japanese equivalent is "amo," but I think that's just "um" with the syllabic completion.
Or is it that people in the Realms are notably more articulate than I? It worries me, as I find myself trailing off a bit these days. All the best.”
Ed replies:

Several times I’ve tried to introduce this into published Realms fiction, but editors have swooped in and removed anything more than “Ah” or “uh” or “ahem.”
The truth is, of course, that everyone has their own patterns of speech (for instance, one Waterdhavian noble always says “Stop me vitals!” and Rathan of the Knights usually said "Aha, aha," whereas Vangerdahast [thanks to someone in the playing group seeing the movie MOZART] aways declaimed, "So there you are!" . . . I can add that many Cormyreans and Dalefolk of the generation now starting to grow old add “look you” to the end of most utterances).
“Latulatul!” is the halfling equivalent, literally being the vocalization of a tongue stuck out, drawn in, then stuck out and drawn in again.
“Durgdurg” is the orc, half-orc (and now Luskanite, too) variant of this; it means “no quarrel, no quarrel,” and is derived from “durgreos” (a long-standing, formal responsive greeting among orcs of the Sword Coast North, that means the same thing).
And so on. “Feddleah!” is a recent Calishite and Tashalar nonsense word used in place of “um” by traders, and it’s spreading rapidly (already heard in trade-route communities in Tethyr, the Vilhon, and Amn). “Garn it” or just “garn” is surfacing around the Sea of Fallen Stars and along the Heartlands trade routes (through Berdusk and Iriaebor), and “sah-haul” is Chessentan equivalent (now heard in Turmish, the Vilhon, and Mulhorand, too). So far as is known, these last two examples are also nonsense words or phrases.
As in the real world, this is an aspect of language that’s very individual, specific from place to place, and changes constantly, so feel free to devise your own.

So saith Ed. Who has always enjoyed linguistics in the “interesting old corners of English” sense, both academically and casually.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 05 May 2008 01:49:37
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  02:36:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

for instance, one Waterdhavian noble always says “Stop me vitals!”

Was he in the Inn of the Dripping Dagger the day that the child Princess Alusair went in there? I recall the note in that Inn's description that she acquired the habit of saying that same phrase from her visit to that Inn...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 May 2008 02:36:45
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  15:53:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes, Wooly, he was. Ed drops his presence (and that vocal line) into descriptions of background chatter in Waterdhavian clubs, festhalls, and upper-crust eateries and taverns all the time.
I believe Ed got the line from one of the School For Scandal-era plays he saw at Stratford (the actor Brian Bedford using it constantly as the "zounds!" -style interjection of his major character). [By "Stratford" I mean the fifty-odd-year-old Shakespearean Festival held annually in Straford, Ontario.)
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 05 May 2008 15:57:16
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  16:02:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Yes, Wooly, he was. Ed drops his presence (and that vocal line) into descriptions of background chatter in Waterdhavian clubs, festhalls, and upper-crust eateries and taverns all the time.
I believe Ed got the line from one of the School For Scandal-era plays he saw at Stratford (the actor Brian Bedford using it constantly as the "zounds!" -style interjection of his major character). [By "Stratford" I mean the fifty-odd-year-old Shakespearean Festival held annually in Straford, Ontario.)
love,
THO

Was the noble ever named, and/or any info given about him? I'm just curious about him, now. Not enough to add to the Ed queue, but if there's anything you could share, I'd appreciate it.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 May 2008 16:07:13
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  19:49:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
'Twas Lord Roaringhorn, I think. I may be misremembering, though; it could have been one of the other two "roaring old" noble lords who were Roaringhorn's drinking chums. Ed played them all like the classic Fielding character Squire Alworthy: salt of the earth roistering, burly, hard-quaffing and harder eating old rips. Blunt, leering, gusto-for-life sorts.
The Company of Crazed Venturers bumped into them more than we Knights did (probably because the senior players, common to both groups, had learned quite well what they were like and saw good reasons to often avoid them ).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  20:26:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Thanks for that info, my lady!

Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2008 :  22:49:01  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
That's more informative than I'd have expected, thank you.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2008 :  02:51:30  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear THO and Ed,
Another Realmslore question from a loyal Realms campaigner.
As I recall, Ed detailed the city of Teziir for DRAGON, must be two years ago now (it was supposed to follow Crimmor into print). I seem to recall mention of Chris Perkins being given copies of this, after Paizo's license expired.
Do we know the fate of this lore? Any chance of it appearing anywhere, that you've heard?
Thanks,
BB
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2008 :  05:27:30  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Hi THO! (and you too Ed! )

The more I research the city of Melvaunt on the north coast of the Moonsea, the more I wonder what Ed's original intention for the city was? In reading the 1st Edition material from "ye ol' grey box" I seem to come to the conclusion that the Zhentarim have some great deal of control over/influence in the city...

Am I on the right track here...or no?

So...what WAS Ed's original intention for the Moonsea area regarding Melvaunt?

Thanks for all the help!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2008 :  15:02:48  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Didn't Ed cover Melvaunt and the other north-coast Moonsea cities in early Elminster's Everwinking Eye columns in Polyhedron? I seem to remember reading about it (not a lot, but some lore), but have since moved, and my Polys are still at my parents' house. Can any scribes (Mr. Krashos? Sage? Kuje?) confirm this?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2008 :  15:39:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Indeed, Ed did -- #78 "A Visit to Melvaunt" and #79 "Inside Thentia."

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2008 :  16:30:28  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
Hi, Ed and THO.

I bring a fresh new question of a novice brazilian DM, floating in brazilian boards, to great Ed:

quote:
Opinion to my campaign

I´m creating an adventure based near Espar, in Cormyr, and need of some help to start with my players.

The place will be like a base for the group, the players give their character choices: a paladin of Tyr, son of a baron; a human barbarian; a sorcerer with draconic heritage that want to be a war wizard; a dwarf, priest of Moradin; a warrior of the cormyrean army; and a black earth genasi from Mulhorand(???).

Questions:

1. How can a player character enter to the War Wizards and to the Purple Dragon? (to the organizations, to the PrC is well documented).

2. There is the possibility of exist a cormyrean barbarian? And what will be the more plausible option?

3. About the nobles, how is the organization of the cormyrean nobility (titles, hierarquies, etc.)

4. How could I handle the "ordainment" of a paladin of Tyr (yes, I think that I don´t have the right words, sometimes)

5. How could I handle a presence of a Mulhorand genasi, how the cormyreans will interact with him?

Waiting for answers,
Cad

Well, I´m waiting to some of these answers, too.

And if someone else have something to add to this new DM (Garen? Krashos? Sage? err... Wooly? ), feel free to add his opinions.

Chosen of Moradin.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  00:24:05  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Dear THO and Ed,
Another Realmslore question from a loyal Realms campaigner.
As I recall, Ed detailed the city of Teziir for DRAGON, must be two years ago now (it was supposed to follow Crimmor into print). I seem to recall mention of Chris Perkins being given copies of this, after Paizo's license expired.
Do we know the fate of this lore? Any chance of it appearing anywhere, that you've heard?
Thanks,
BB

Teziir. Yes. Teziir. More information, please! Much, much more! The kicking of the snot out of Vurgrom the Mighty after he had looted Teziir was a crucial moment in my campaign. (What, you expected a lawful neutral mercenary company to lose valuable, pre-hired personnel to defend a town which hadn't hired them and fight a pirate before he had committed a crime by looting the place? Ha!)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  03:01:01  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Unfortunately, I don't have access to those articles...can anyone enlighten me?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  03:30:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring once more gems of Realmslore from the pen of Ed of the Greenwood, in response to query from scribes of the Keep. To whit, this time, Blueblade, Wooly Rupert, GoCeraf, Verghityax, and Mkhaiwati!
First, to Blueblade’s question: “As I recall, Ed detailed the city of Teziir for DRAGON, must be two years ago now (it was supposed to follow Crimmor into print). I seem to recall mention of Chris Perkins being given copies of this, after Paizo's license expired.
Do we know the fate of this lore? Any chance of it appearing anywhere, that you've heard? Thanks, BB”
Ed makes reply:

Blueblade, I honestly don’t know right now. Yes, Chris was given a copy of that, but it’s not as if he’s had nothing else to do, since. :} I’ll have to ask, now that you’ve piqued my curiosity, but I may of course not end up being at liberty to share my answer with you (NDAs, you understand). The possibilities include, of course: DDI or other website appearance, use in a Realms sourcebook of some sort, RPGA use (in the right geographical “region”), use as a novel setting . . . and so on. I guess we’ll just have to see. :} (No, I’m not being mysterious or teasing, I’m being philosophical. 4e has plunged spanners into the hearts of SO much ongoing work that not all the dust has settled yet, by any means.)

Then, to Verghityax’s query: “Dear Ed of Greenwood and lovely Lady Hooded One,
A long time ago (half of a year or so) I asked Ed about mapping of certain places in Elturel and Iriaebor but they were under NDA due to some legal troubles and license that TSR sold to some company. With Ed's kind permission I'm back to pester him with my query again. Has anything gotten clearer in this matter or NDAs still prevents Ed from passing any lore? Thanks in advance for your answer”
Ed replies thus:

Sorry, Verghityax, but Elturel and Iriaebor are still under NDA. I suspect the need for these NDAs may soon fade away, but NDAs are ironclad until specifically removed; if I were to just assume they’ll go away, I’d be in the same situation as a race car driver who drives his car at full speed towards a stone wall, assuming it will crumble away before he reaches it. So the answer, for now, must still be: I can provide you with nothing more at this time. However, please keep asking; one never knows.

Moving on to Mkhaiwati’s post (in response to a comment of mine about a book Ed had been reading): “Probably Cathedral, Forge, and Waterwheel by the de Gies. They also did Life in Medieval city, Village, etc.”
Ed responds:

Yes, that’s the book, all right. One of about seventy loosely-related-by-subject tomes I often re-read for pleasure (I’m especially fond of an obscure tome, THE COMMON STREAM, that follows a hamlet in England from prehistory up to the time of writing [1950s]) to ground myself in “WHY things are thus and so, in vaguely medieval times.”

. . . Which brings us to GoCeraf’s linguistic question, Ed’s reply, and Wooly’s query about the identity of the Waterdhavian noble Ed mentioned, whose verbal habit it is to often (as an “um” equivalent) exclaim, “Stop me vitals!”
Ed now adds this:

The noble in question is indeed Lord Vastarr Roaringhorn (his twin brother Kuldos is far more dignified, stay-at-home, and restrained in word and manner). THO is quite correct in saying “Old Lord Roar” (Vastarr) was present in the Inn of the Dripping Dagger the day when it was first visited by the impressionable young Princess Alusair, and she undoubtedly acquired the habit of using that same phrase on that day, from hearing (and probably being impressed by) him.
Lord Roaringhorn is big, burly, loud and deep of voice, and much given to hearty, dirty chuckles, winks, leers, jests. He has huge, hairy fists (his fingers adorned with rings), is strong enough to crush metal flagons easily in his hand, pick up tavern chairs with persons sitting in them and hurl them, or pluck up entire massive timber tavern tables and fling them some distance down a room. He’s very slow to lose his temper, though, and never rages for long - - and he is capable of eating and drinking prodigious amounts with no more ill effects than hearty belching and farting.
He often strolls around Waterdeep of evenings with two similar-of-appearance-and-manner old friends who also happen to be noble patriarchs: Royus Adarbrent (a spry, spike-chin-bearded old salt and widower with a large nose, many gold teeth, a handsome amiability, and a hunger to get hitched again) and Baerom Thunderstaff II (a gravel-deep-voiced, huge-nosed and red faced old rip who can still break skulls or hands or jaws with a single solid punch, as many a sneering younger man has discovered to his dismayed and painful cost). The three love to flirt with anyone who wants to, and to watch romancing and dancing and everything from duels and brawls (small ones that they need not get involved in or take any official notice of) to prostitutes pleasing customers or putting on salacious stage shows, and love to hear minstrels, bards, and amateurs tell colourful stories, good jests, and sing sentimental or funny songs.
Think of them as out-of-shape, overweight, somewhat slow of gait “young rakes out on the town, and up for a bit of fun or gallantly helping strangers or a new cause,” and you’ll have them down right.
I have indeed, as THO says, played Lord Roaringhorn and his two gruff, loud, unabashed contemporary “elder patriarch noble lords” as Squire Allworthy types (the classic “salt of the earth” character from Henry Fielding’s TOM JONES, and yes, I know I’m shortening the proper title of that novel). Those not familiar with that particular branch of the cultural tree can think of these three lords as equivalents of Statler and Waldorf, the two opinionated old geezers in the balcony from “The Muppet Show” television series (their jesting, not their constant complaining).
I make a practice of putting him (and that “stop me vitals!” line of his, which was indeed drawn from a Brian Bedford performance in a Restoration comedy at the Stratford Shakespearean Festival) into the background chatter of many clubs, revels, Palace feasts, and upper-crust eateries and taverns featured in Waterdhavian Realmsplay.

So saith Ed. Who is battling much adversity at the moment, but still loves the Realms and those who adventure in it or just read about it (so keep those questions coming, scribes!).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  04:11:22  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
quote:

Zandilar and all, your posts go off to Ed, who is busy busy busy again, but WILL return with a reply of some sort later today or on the morrow.
Charles, I read the second half of your adventure (also sent off to Ed), and have to admit to literally falling out of my chair laughing when Alusair snorted.

love to all,
THO

We love our blunt instrument of a Queen and looking forward to any Ed thoughts he may have!

Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  05:22:42  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

We love our blunt instrument of a Queen and looking forward to any Ed thoughts he may have!

I wish my first name could be used as an adjective.

Regardless, a curiosity clawed its way out today. I was reading the entry on the yarting in the FRCS today, and I wondered; does a Faerûn musician's technique for a yarting match that of an Earth musician?

That's confusingly worded. For instance, is there a "classical guitar" sound in the Realms? Likewise, are there any Realms guitar riffs that do not have an equitable version here?

All the best.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2008 :  06:05:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Unfortunately, I don't have access to those articles...can anyone enlighten me?

You can pick up issues #78 and #79 from paizo.com for just $10 US each.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000