Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2008 :  19:54:06  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage  Click to see AlorinDawn's MSN Messenger address Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
I'm on a roll....

Ed,

What does Loxo music sound like?

Currently reading: Eyes of The Dragon by Stephen King

Long live Sniffy Wigglebottom
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  00:25:13  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

As always, a post from Zandilar brings a smile to Ed’s face. Wherefore here is his response to this recent post from Zandilar: “Heya, The mention of names for Cormyrian royalty above brought to mind a question..."<snip>

Well, a response always brings a smile to my face, so I guess we're even.

Ed, thank you very much for your response, it was very interesting.

I do have a couple of quick questions (and comments), though...

quote:

Ed replies:
Thanks for your nice comments. Names are easy for me, for some inexplicable reason.
I coin names by picturing the character, physically, plus what I know of their behaviour, and then try to think of the “sort of sound” I want their name to have. Usually six or seven possible names pop into my mind immediately; I jot them all down, zero in on those that seem most right, then tinker with the spelling so it doesn’t seem too “modern” to the eye, but also not too cryptic when eyeballed (I don’t want people mispronouncing it or even worse, giving up on pronunciation and just sliding past it, whenever they read it; the “Mr. Mxyzptlk problem” [referencing the old DC Comics alien character with the unpronounceable name]; this is the old “why do fantasy names always have to have lots of instances of x, q, and z - - or start with s?”). Then I “try out” the character, in my mind’s eye, just WEARING the name for a bit. If it “works,” I’m done.

What is "too modern"? I have my own ideas on what that is, but I'd be interested to see what you have to write on the matter. (ie: Is it the way the name sounds? The use of letters? Placement of vowels?)

quote:
That’s the formal way. More often, these days, especially for minor characters, names just pop into my head as I need them, I use them, and then re-read the text afterwards to make sure the name isn’t unintentionally humorous or insulting or otherwise unsuitable, before the text becomes “final.”

I used to do it that way, now lately I've struggled with naming characters... I sometimes resort to name generators (and then tinker, 'cause too many name generators generate mostly unusable names). For my most recent novel (which is fantasy), I decided to use names from Earth and was strict on the areas I took them from so that there would be some consistency with the names (one lot of people used Welsh names, another Old English, and so on).

quote:
Of course, I can’t take any responsibility for Realms characters named by others, other than to admit that I’ve screamed and yelled in private to make sure proposed names like “Spike” and “Lucky Strike” (both for adventurers; the first one was supposed to be secretly a prince, too) and “Abracadabra” (for a dragon) didn’t get used in print. (No, I’m not kidding!)
[Of course, there are many instances where I don’t find out about an unfortunate name until I read it, in print, at about the same time as any other customer who buys a new book or game product does. Sigh.]

Oooh, that would have to be annoying. I could see how Spike might be a nickname, though it has too many associations for me with Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Spike aka William the Bloody. (It's fresh in my mind since I've just recently finished watching the entire series.)

quote:
When I created Myrmeen the character, and coined her name, no, I wasn’t inspired by the word “Myrmidon” at all. Though the level titles were fun, I never wanted them reflected in any Realmsian “person” names; it just seemed (and seems) a mistake in style. I was trying for some sounds in her name that evoked a friend, a vigorous person, someone passionate and warm when she wanted to be, and someone exciting (hope I squeezed all of that in there!).

Oddly enough, I didn't think of the old 1st Edition level titles (or even the Basic DnD ones!) when asking that question. But as for the feelings the name evokes, for me at least you succeeded.

quote:
In “my” Realms, Myrmeen is an uncommon name in the Tethyrian duchy of Cape Velen, and rare elsewhere. History records some Myrmeens as sorceresses and a few as wives of nobles and courtiers, but none are “of note” except the character of Cormyr we both know and love.

Do the people of the Realms name their children after beloved rulers and others (whether currently active or historical figures) they might admire? From what you wrote there, I gather there aren't too many children in Arabel named after Myrmeen then?

quote:

As for her child: I’m truly sorry, but there’s a nicely-crafted, massive NDA sitting squarely on that, frowning on all questors in that heavy-browed “the Eagle Watches You” manner. If it makes you feel any better to know this, it was created quite recently, to replace an older, smaller-in-scope NDA.

If Myrmeen's child is going to be a factor in 4th Edition, she's going to be a very old lady (of the dead and buried variety old) by then (or he, I suppose, I'm still hoping it'll be a daughter - too many powerful females in Cormyr have gone and have either been replaced by male characters or not at all)... Unless, for some reason, Myrmeen's child has innate longevity, of course, or access magical items/potions that extend life...

quote:
God names, on the other hand, are increasingly UNpopular for children because parents think it’s unlucky (dangerous to the child) and because the popularity and “reliability” of many gods, in mortal eyes, was shaken in the Time of Troubles (and will be shaken again, in the Spellplague). Yes, there are local exceptions due to divine deeds and appearances, but local clergy often have an influence in such matters. For example, in Arabel’s case, the “Luckpriests” prominent in the city at that time discouraged parents from naming children as “Tymora” (or any male echo) by saying the goddess regarded it as near-blasphemy and so the child might well be unlucky throughout life. Instead, they should use “lucky” names favored by the goddess (and revealed in secret by the priests, for a fee, of course); these included Ardusk, Brace, and Faern for boys, and Calatha, Deira, and Raele for girls (see the name lists later in this post).

These "lucky" names, are they actually names Tymora has revealed to her priests, or is it some kind of scam to part people with their money? I normally wouldn't ask, but given the apparent flavour/nature of the Arabelan Church (in particular), I wouldn't put it past Daramos to come up with such a plan.

quote:
“Thorn” has traditionally been given to farm lasses born when the parents were hoping for a strong male child (in other words, the new Thorn is going to have to take on the “grunt” tasks of working a farm), and as a result has been borne by a lot of what we real-world folks would call “tomboys.”

Interesting. I am sure more than one "Thorn" hasn't lived up to it though... they can't all just magically become tomboys. But I may be a touch biased here, since, to me, tomboy is more than just appearance - it's attitude as well - as much nature as it is nurture.

quote:
A design note: it’s important, when designing names for a population, not to succumb to the temptation to craft a list of “cool for adventurers plus dastardly villains plus beautiful princesses” names, and leave out more earthy, humdrum, ugly, and awkward monikers. Realism comes through variety that includes strands of “fit together” or “sound related.” A list that was all dashing heroes names like Amberjack and Raerel might initially strike the eye and ear as more catchy, but is ultimately less useful (except to the DM or fiction writer who names only major characters, and has a lot of “Unnamed And Soon to Be Dead Guard Thirty-Six” minor characters).

Very wise advice indeed, thank you.

quote:
I hope this has been helpful, Zandilar. For me, strolling back through my lore-notes and updating everything, it’s been fun.

Very helpful, thanks again! (And thanks to THO as well for her superb job of relaying our questions and your answers!)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  15:38:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GoCeraf

I dunno, there's a certain amount of sexuality to Alustriel's character, but I wouldn't use the word "lust." Alluring, while probably more appropriate, still is not the word I'd have used, because being alluring would imply that people are drawn to you. Were I an adventurer in the Silverymoon area, I'd definitely be intimidated by the good lady.

That'd be the case for some, yes, but based on all I've read of Alustriel, she is the type of person who attracts people. So, my opinion is that seeing her as "alluring" is appropriate.

quote:
I think I've just got a thing for strong women, but I'm pretty sure that Mr. Greenwood intended for Alustriel to have a certain sensual quality without being... um... lusty?

Everyone sees characters differently, but as Alorin mentioned, Alustriel definitely has a lusty side (at least as Ed envisioned her), and a penchant for taking many lovers.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  16:13:57  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
...We may have conflicting definitions of lust...

Though I prefer to be a bit more articulate than this...
I mean that I don't think Alustriel's a ****. Yikes.

Mod Edit: Let's keep the discussion tasteful, please.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Apr 2008 17:11:35
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  17:00:26  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Hi again Ed and THO.
First of all I'll have to thank you for the recent answer about dancing Sunites, it helped get me back to working on my own modest attempt to flesh out that particular group of clerics (and made me realise that I'd gone too far in trying to counter the all-too-common view of Sunites as airheaded ninnies [they still have Wisdom as their #1 ability y'all], so I guess I'll have to, ahem, sex it up a bit).

Second, lest your pile of unanswered questions shrink: I'm curious to find out a bit (okay, a lot) more about how Aglarond is governed, and at the moment what I would most like to know is which person or persons have leading roles in the "loyal" opposition to the Simbul. I e, who are ready to publicly speak out against her policies, but nonetheless remain loyal to her as the rightful ruler of the country?

And a quickie: Could you mention just one thing, previously published or not, about the Church of Sune that you really think I should include in my article?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and Ed - "Gnomebody knows" - sheesh.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  18:57:20  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
Sorry, Sage. I couldn't think of another way to say it.

Go to Top of Page

Jeiroth
Seeker

27 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  19:29:53  Show Profile Send Jeiroth a Private Message
Sweet water and light laughter.

After diligently perusing my library I was wondering if you had any insight into the Family Crest or Symbol used by the ancient elven family Vyshaan *looks around cautiously* and Irythil.

I have a campaign focusing around those pesky elves, elven ruins, and some ancient artifacts of both families. I would like ot know what the family crests would look like so that I may better describe the features of the families.

I thank you for your time, but now I must go digest this mutinous mutton stew my wife prepared for me.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2055 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2008 :  20:26:09  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
back when nwn(bioware game) came out, i created a longsword and named it starfury.

my question for ED is, whats the elven translation for starfury.
its my elven ranger's weapon of choice, so i figured it would sound better in elven.

oh and thanks for the good times reading silverfall and elminsters daughter they were good.
now only if i can finish the annotated ELminster.( and the high kings tomb) hate it when i have multiple books being read at once.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2008 :  02:01:19  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GoCeraf

Sorry, Sage. I couldn't think of another way to say it.

No worries. I know how easy it is to get caught up in what you're posting.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2008 :  17:35:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Ed has been quiet this last day or so because he's doing taxes and two novel galley-proofings (not to mention some novels he's supposed to finish!!!), but he found time to send this brief Realmslore reply to AlorinDawn:

Loxo music is slow and deep, with "rolling" drums (think Led Zeppelin, Bonham's cave-echo drumming on D'Yer Maker) behind a low, liquid bassoon or low-register oboe melodic line. Always SLOW. Loxo who can prevail upon elves or humans who have "ghost pipes" or similar spells that can produce ongoing, sustained notes love to hear music that sounds like real-world, Hollywood, "deep menace/approaching storm" melody lines.

So saith Ed. Hope this is of help,
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3302 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2008 :  07:19:09  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Just back from the festhall!

Ed, what's the relationship between the new level maps in Expedition to Undermountain and your originals?
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2055 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2008 :  10:09:19  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
i have another question, a cormyran question....

with the onset of 4e, and its rather dumb ring rules, what will the fate be of the Cormyran commander and the purple dragon rings?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit

Edited by - sfdragon on 13 Apr 2008 10:09:53
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2008 :  15:39:43  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Dumb Ring Rules? What happened to rings?

Visit my Blog Page to find things for YOUR Forgotten Realms!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2008 :  16:00:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring this brief Realmslore response from Ed, to Faraer's query: "Ed, what's the relationship between the new level maps in Expedition to Undermountain and your originals?"
Ed replies:

The level maps in the book are tiny, slightly modified snippets of my originals for the upper levels, and new creations for most of the lower levels. My map notes for The Yawning Portal unfortunately got ignored or lost for some reason (yes, I did provide map originals for my bits, as did the other designers, but I stress that they were "for my bits," rather than an attempt to print the very extensive original maps; what did see print had to fit the too-restrictive encounter format that I sure hope is going away as we move into 4e). So they're "fragmentary echoes" of my originals, plus (deeper down) new creations. We of course simply passed over the thirteen or so fully-mapped sublevels, sixteen partly-mapped sublevels, and so on.

So saith Ed. Who is still busy busy busy on gaming fiction and game lore for us all!!
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 13 Apr 2008 16:02:28
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2055 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2008 :  19:01:20  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
oh the dumb ring rules.
cant use rings until after lvl 10 and cant use the second ring until after lvl 20

dumb the 9 rings for the race of man, 7 for the dwarflords, and the 3 elf rings were lesser artifacts, the one ring of doom was a soul infused greater artifcat, those rings were but a ring of protection is not an artifact.

i reiterate : what will become the fate of those two rings commander and purple dragon knight?

and whats the elven translation for star furry?

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5584 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2008 :  23:27:25  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met

I found a scroll floating around the corridors. It appears to be for the attention of Ed

quote:
Originally posted by Seahen

I can only hope that the exalted man whom I seek, the creator of the Realms known to me as Ed Greenwood, shall read this prayer. If you are he:

My mother and I are admirers and devotees of your work; I have lived for several years in your reputed birthplace of North York. We are to embark on a long journey this Thursday afternoon or Friday that will take us near your sanctuary in Cobourg and the hall of tomes in Port Hope where you work. Might we be able to meet you to briefly discuss your work, and have you inscribe your exalted name in some tomes of your authorship? Our thanks in advance.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  01:20:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Thank you, Alaundo.
I wish I (purrrr) saw more of you. Perhaps (bats eyelashes) if I'm bad? Very very bad? I hear tell you have an ermm, staff that is occasionally used in ahem, discipline . . .
(purrs again, sashays)

I hope Seahen sees this, or it can be conveyed to him:
If by this Thursday or Friday you mean April the 17th or 18th, Ed will be rushing about doing errands (medical and dental visits, car tuneup, banking, library board work) on the 17th. On the morning of the 18th, between 10 am and 1 pm, he will be manning the circulation desk at the Port Hope Public Library (situated on Queen Street in downtown Port Hope, in a park with its back to the Ganaraska River, just north of the two railway trestles), but he must dash away promptly at 1 pm to rush some 30 miles, pick up a family member, and drive said family member some 400 miles to visit OTHER family for the weekend. Ed must of course check books in and out, register patrons for library cards, answer phones, and all the usual library work they're paying him to do, but he'd certainly be happy to see you, shake hands, sign things, and chat very briefly, if you do appear during that brief window.
Good gaming always!

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  04:51:19  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Thank you, Alaundo.
I wish I (purrrr) saw more of you. Perhaps (bats eyelashes) if I'm bad? Very very bad? I hear tell you have an ermm, staff that is occasionally used in ahem, discipline . . .
(purrs again, sashays)

I hope Seahen sees this, or it can be conveyed to him:
If by this Thursday or Friday you mean April the 17th or 18th, Ed will be rushing about doing errands (medical and dental visits, car tuneup, banking, library board work) on the 17th. On the morning of the 18th, between 10 am and 1 pm, he will be manning the circulation desk at the Port Hope Public Library (situated on Queen Street in downtown Port Hope, in a park with its back to the Ganaraska River, just north of the two railway trestles), but he must dash away promptly at 1 pm to rush some 30 miles, pick up a family member, and drive said family member some 400 miles to visit OTHER family for the weekend. Ed must of course check books in and out, register patrons for library cards, answer phones, and all the usual library work they're paying him to do, but he'd certainly be happy to see you, shake hands, sign things, and chat very briefly, if you do appear during that brief window.
Good gaming always!

love,
THO

I've an observation to make, if I may.

Thanks to the travails of the internet or, as the subject of my speculation might say, the "intraweb," certain words that have previously been adjectives have been adopted as nouns. Awesome comes to mind, being one of the most prevalent among these words.

I've simply come to the realization, THO, that you can be the subject of the adjetival form, and synonymous with the noun-centric form. Apparently, the web smiles on you.

All the best.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  07:55:48  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
Good morning. It seems like I will have to add to Eds workload again. This time it is a question from the earliest days of the Realms that has been bothering me for some time.

In Dragon magazine nr 54 Ed presented the gods of Faerun for the first time to the readers. In addition to the gods that became standard parts of the Realms there were also a number of beastcults that to my knowledge never were mentioned again.

I wondered if Ed (or the Lady herself) could shed some light on these, their role in Eds Realms and some specific details on each if possible.

The cults only mentioned in the Dragon magazine are:
BESPARR --- Lord of Horses
CAMAZOTZ --- Lord of Bats
FILEET --- Lady of the Birds
HAAASHASTAAK--- Master of All Lizardkind
HLYYAAK --- King of Camels
MEERCLAR --- Mistress of Catkind
NNUUURRRR’C’C King With Wings Master of the Insect Swarm
NURU-AH --- Master of Cattle
PYARAY Whisperer of Lord of the Ocean Abysses,
Impossible Secrets Creatures of the Deep
REPRA --- King of Serpents
ROOFDRAK --- Master of All Dogs
SNEEL The Great Rat Lord of Rats

Thanks for the help.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  15:10:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. THANK you, GoCeraf (dimples). Your sweet fondness is appreciated and returned.
Jorkens, your request goes off to Ed, but from play in the 'home' Realms campaign, I can say that the beast cults are just that: cults. Worshipped in secret, in modest cellar shrines or back room impromptu ceremonies, often centered around a 'totem' piece or relic of the animal in question (a horn, a claw, a fang, a tentacle preserved in a sealed glass jar full of oil). Members work together like a trade cabal or secret society, helping each other in daily business troubles (discounts to fellow members, rushing to be bodyguard aid if a fellow cultist is attacked by rivals, etc.), and usually carry a tiny recognition token (carved bat wing or horse hoof or whatever) to show to fellow cultists they don't know personally.
What we Knights discovered was that some of the larger, more powerful, and wealthy cults (in larger cities) had been covertly taken over by beholders (working through the minds of cult leaders), either for their own benefit or to extend the reach of the Zhentarim.
So cults, and clashing rival cults with PCs caught in the middle, are great foes and "background action movers" for low-level PCs. In short, so far as I know, the beast cults are still flourishing (albeit with very low profiles, so some non-members might think otherwise).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  22:58:54  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Another question for Ed's endlessly-growing pile of Realmslore queries from we scribes...
Ed, does the water taste foul in most Faerunian cities? If so, are people just used to it, or do they flavor the water with various things? (I seem to recall Volo mentioning lime water, rose water, and various "throatslakes" done for culinary taste reasons.)
If so, are any of these flavorings sufficient to cover the tastes of poisons, snake venoms, acids, sleep potions, and so on? BTW: I know how various editions of the game rules run, regarding mixing things with potions and poisons, but I'm interested in your DMing "take" on such situations...not so much rules reinterpretations, but the habits of people in the Realms regarding flavorings.
Thanks!

Edited by - Broken Helm on 14 Apr 2008 23:00:59
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  23:09:35  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Had to work on my taxes today, and it made me think: how are taxes collected in Cormyr? Is Suzail any different than, say, Eveningstar? Are Arabel and Marsember "different" for tax collection because of their historical hostility to the Dragon Throne's rule?
What sort of Crown records are kept, and who has access to them?
Thanks!
BB

Edited by - Blueblade on 14 Apr 2008 23:12:39
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  23:36:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hmmm. I recall we Knights once meeting a travelling tax collector (in the 'home' Realms campaign, with Ed as our DM). He had some undercover War Wizards watching him, not to oversee his honesty but to see who avoided him, robbed him, deceived him, and tried to get a look at his ledger. Which had some War Wizard spells cast on it, to "seal" it and wizard mark anyone who tampered with it excvept War Wizards, the collector, and his superiors who knew a secret sigil to trace.
Off this goes to Ed . . .
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 14 Apr 2008 23:39:51
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2055 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  09:23:46  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
i have a question

who was andrio? as in andrio's gate

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  15:48:33  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage  Click to see AlorinDawn's MSN Messenger address Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

Any chance you can share, after all these years why Ildur Arntar of The Night Hunt Inn near Loudwater lost his ranger powers?

Thanks

Currently reading: Eyes of The Dragon by Stephen King

Long live Sniffy Wigglebottom

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 15 Apr 2008 15:49:56
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000