Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  15:08:32  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Ed,

I was wondering about the settlement of the northern coast of the Moonsea. What cultural areas essentially were responsible for the north coast being settled? Were they dalesfolk, Vaasan, Chondathans or combinations seeking out mineral wealth?

Of special interest to me is what might have driven elves and half-elves to settle in such cities as Melvaunt?

Thanks again for your help and time!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  15:56:13  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Athenon

A hypothetical question for Ed,

Since the game products in print for the Realms will soon be ceasing... Have you ever kicked around the idea of doing something similar to what Margaret Weis Productions did with Dragonlance in the 3E era (assuming WotC was interested in licensing you the right to produce FR products)? I would love to see what kind of things you could do given more creative freedom with the Realms!

has it been confirmed that Realms products will no longer see print?
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  16:06:10  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Hi Ed, I was wondering...
...would baboons be completely out of place in the Yuirwood, or could they survive in that particular climate? (Perhaps I should have asked a biologist instead, but in general they tend to not know very much about the Forgotten Realms).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

wakaman
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  16:13:59  Show Profile  Visit wakaman's Homepage Send wakaman a Private Message
Hey again, Ed!

This is a question with quite a complex background, but I will try to simply it as much as possible.

A character I have had in one of my stories was an inquisitor of Halruaa. This character hunted a black dragon who was constantly escaping rather than fighting him (the reason is unimportant to the topic) and after 10 years the inquisitor finally caught and defeated the dragon - but instead of killing it, the inquisitor placed its soul inside a stone.

Now, this would seem like a normal Trap-The-Soul spell, but it becomes more complex here. He actually -used- the dragons essence to summon a physical manifestation of the dragon in time of need. However, while he did this he actually let a portion of the dragon's soul free - free to enter the inquisitors body and influence him. Through the slow decay of time, the dragon's soul, and hence hold of the inquisitors mind and body, became more and more powerful.

Eventually, it became so powerful that it was able to force the inquisitor to go back to the site at which the dragon was defeated and find a way to restore the dragon's soul into its body. But when the ritual was complete and the dragon's soul was to transfer into an apparent ressurection something odd happened: Both the inquisitor and the dragon itself fused togather - the inquisitors body consumed somehow and the dragon left in control of a body which was, rather than flesh and skin, nothing but the bones the spell had targeted. So, in fact, the dragon and the inquisitor occupied this same body of a dragon made of bone.

This is a general story I came up with, but obviously, there are many loregaps to be considered before it can be incorporated into a true FR setting. So, here are my questions:

Would it be possible to somehow harness the powers of a soul to summon a creature of its own nature in physical form but nothing else?

Would it be possible also, that such a strange, experimental magic would in itself be unstable and allow the 'leakage' of a creatures essence into its bearers own mind?

And if this is so, would it be such a leap of faith to assume that the process of freeing this kind of soul would go completely wrong? I am thinking that this dragon's soul became so intrinsically connected with that of its bearer that the dragon and the inquisitor became two tightly bound entities - and hence, attempting to rip them away from each other by freeing the dragon would cause the magic to go entirely awry and cause both souls to simply transfer into the targets of the spell- the bones, who while animated by the souls, did not turn into the dragon's original form.

Mind you, the purpose of focusing the magic on the bones was a precaution from the dragon as it knew the circumstances were somewhat different to a usual trap-the-soul spell.

I know this question seems somewhat long-winded, but it would help me greatly if I could get some official lore about this.

Awaiting your answer eagerly,

wakaman
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  16:36:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, everyone.
wakaman, Ed's reply to you can't be "official" for the game, and can only be "official" for the Realms until contradicted in print by a WotC product (that's how the Realms purchase agreement reads). What he'll essentially be doing is what he would do as a DM (a DM who understands the Realms, and all of its checks and balances and still-secret lore, better than anyone else, mind you).
gomez, I conveniently wrap my arms around a lot of people. Smile at all the women you see at a con, because you never know . . .
Which is a coy way of saying that, yes, I do get to the OCCASIONAL European convention. As does Ed, who has been to Stockholm, Hanover, and London to appear at cons (just the few I can recall off the top of my head).
More Realmslore from Ed soon.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  16:52:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again. Jamallo Kreen, a quick reply to your question about Ed writing for other game systems.
As I understand it, there are some non-compete clauses in Ed's consulting contracts, but Ed has negotiated exceptions, including:
GEANAVUE, a city sourcebook for the Kalamar setting (which was nominated for an ENNIE award, which should give you some idea of its quality) plus work on two other Kalamar products;
CASTLEMOURN and the thus-far-unseen EMBERSEA (both fantasy settings);
two zombie fiction tales for "Books of All Flesh" anthologies edited by Jim Lowder, one of which received an Honorable Mention in the relevant edition of the annual Year's Best Fantasy & Science Fiction that was then edited by Datlow & windling;
two Diamond Throne-world stories for Monte and Sue Cook, one of which was noted by The Sage (a story in "The Dragons' Return" anthology is the other);
work on all of the various old TSR roleplaying games and game lines, from Gamma World to Star Frontiers;
. . . and lots of Diplomacy variants (for GAMEPLAY magazine, among others) and other game scenarios, down the years.
Up in Canada, libraries have a Summer Reading Club whose theme, booklet, and handouts are all commonly designed. Now sponsored by one of the banks, it is used widely across the country. Years ago, it began as a project done annually by the North York Public library, designed by staff committees (different staffers) every year. The year Ed was on the committee, he devised half a dozen simple games for youngsters, each played as that week's one-sheet-of-paper handout.
And so on. Ed often insists he's a worldbuilder rather than a game designer, but it's not true; he has designed or hand a hand in designing many, many games. And continues to do so.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 27 Apr 2008 16:54:19
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  17:32:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

and the thus-far-unseen EMBERSEA (both fantasy settings);
Oooh! 'Embersea'... That hasn't been mentioned in a while. What's the latest with Ed's "other world?"
quote:
work on all of the various old TSR roleplaying games and game lines, from Gamma World to Star Frontiers;
Ed worked on material for STAR FRONTIERS? Neat, I loved that setting. I guess I'll have to try and track down the rest of the older supplements and support articles in DRAGON.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  20:14:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes, Ed created the Zethra, an alien race, for Star Frontiers. In an article in one of the "Ares" sections of DRAGON, if I recall correctly. (It was in DRAGON, regardless.)
As far as I know, Studio 2 Publishing and Pinnacle are going to publish Embersea whenever Ed can get them more material (the moved-ahead advent of 4e, Ed's father's death, and the writing logjam for Ed that resulted has delayed him getting much of anything more done on it since last fall).
I've always thought it ironic, how most writers can't think of story ideas or struggle with writing blocks or finish books and can't get them published . . . whereas Ed struggles to find more time in every day to spend at the keyboard to get a tenth of the stuff he thinks up ready and done and handed in, to publishers who are impatiently waiting . . .
(His "dream" project, I know, is to get to do another Volo's-style book for the Realms. A sassy female descendant of Volo spitting out catty restaurant reviews after touring parts of the 4e Realms, perhaps.)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  00:33:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

Hello, all. I have another Realmslore reply to share with all scribes from Ed of the Greenwood, this one a response to GoCeraf’s query: “Compared to ordinary cats, how do Tressym behave? Are they inclined to be playful or more withdrawn? Additionally, given their intelligence, how well do those found near civilization get along with their neighbors? Do they have the same tendencies as normal cats (painstakingly cleaning themselves, sleeping a lot, etc.)? Anything else you could say would be appreciated.
All the best.”
Ed replies:

Hi! Tressym tend to be more inquisitive, more whimsical, and yet more reasoning than ordinary cats (when I say “yet more reasoning,” I mean that they will study situations, spot most traps or creatures likely to be luring them into something, and avoid being drawn in; their curiosity or whimsy won’t overrule their judgement and wariness). Tressym will go off by themselves to think hard about complicated situations, plan rescues or forays into known danger, and will stalk and skulk with absolute silence when they have to, or when they don’t want to be seen by neighbours (e.g. when doing something they know will be seen as suspicious, such as carrying a distinctive magic item or weapon).
They tend to avoid conflict with neighbours or intruders rather than staying to defend a lair or area, but will strike fiercely if such behaviour is misinterpreted as weakness and therefore carte blanche for bullying or aggressiveness. They tend to be sly winkers rather than “difficult,” standoffish, or “superior” in their dealings with other creatures. And yes, they do clean themselves and sleep a lot, especially when they can bake in the sun. However, being dirty or wet doesn’t bother tressym as much as it does most ordinary cats.
Tressym are intelligent enough to see the needs, wants, and habits of intruders settling in to become neighbours, and shift their own locations or habits to avoid conflict (for instance, if a human arrives and cuts down the favourite tree of a tressym, it will either move to find another or if it wants to remain in the spot, will simply adopt the roof of the human’s newbuilt homestead as its new perch).
Tressym hate the smell of boiled or burnt cabbage, and the squawking of many birds, and will remove themselves from the former and seek to drive off the latter (they are quite intelligent enough to lure or lead a flock of persistent or dangerous birds into the reach of predators who will devour or destroy such a flock).
Tressym understand using streams for navigation, and the habits of most woodland creatures, and so can anticipate where predators will roam, food prey can be found, and so on.
Tressym can become as entranced with particular beings just as strongly as “lovelorn” humans can, and will often follow and spy on such individuals for months or even years, forming friendships and pet-master-like attachments if the individual responds to them with friendliness.

So saith Ed, creator of the tressym. (None of his real-life cats or dogs had wings that I ever saw, but . . .)
love to all,
THO

I loved that answer, thank you.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  00:37:07  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Oooh! 'Embersea'... That hasn't been mentioned in a while. What's the latest with Ed's "other world?"

Is there a thread about this other world? I'd love some more information about it.

By the way, I actually pre-ordered Castlemourn from one of my local bookstores. I can't wait to read it!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 28 Apr 2008 00:37:30
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  00:42:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, Ed says this:

You’re very welcome. I hope you continue to enjoy the Realms for years ahead, come what may.
I think my neighbour’s cat reads Candlekeep postings, too, because she meowed at me when I was out inspecting winterkilled plants in the garden this sunny afternoon, and then gently stepped down off the low tree branch she’d perched on, onto my shoulder, for a little ride-and-purr (a different sort of ride-and-purr than THO indulges in, I must add hastily). No sign of wings on her yet, though.

So saith Ed. Awww.
Yes, I DO enjoy ride-and-purr, whenever I can. Ahem. Now I bring unto all scribes more words of Ed, this time a response to Jamallo Kreen’s question: “Well met, and be ye all hale! I've really written (or DMed) myself into a rather unpleasant corner. One of my favorite characters is an NPC wizard who has been with the Army of the Alliance fighting the Tuigan. Outside of Telflamm (the Tuigan won the Battles of the Golden Way in my campaign and besieiged Telflamm), at night he regularly attacked the Tuigan / Shou / Semphari camp while riding upon a hideous abomination (Bloodstone's Spectral Steed) and, using a permanent tongues spell, he declared himself to be "The Black God of Death," because he habitually wears black.
Having finally received all three of the FRA 1-3 adventures, his rarely removed, self-cleaning, self-mending,black cote hardie, with its high deflection bonus and armored collar, is going to cause more than a wee bit of trouble when he meets His Mightiness Hubadai Khahan, who will -- undoubtedly! -- have heard all about "The Black God of Death" and his nighttime atrocities. This will make sitting down with him for a nice cup of kumiss to undertake the negotiations which are an essential part of the adventures ... ah ... awkward, ... to say the least. ("Your Mightiness, approaching us from ten miles to the north, riding a black horse which leaves no trail, is 'The Black God of Death' who thrice tried to kill your father, the Omnipotent Yamun Khahan, Illustrious Emperor of All Peoples!")
That being the situation, Ed, how common is it to have a contingency spell upon oneself to alter (or change or whatever they call it now) one's self-appearance automatically if one is recognized by a stranger? Is such a use of contingency even possible? Can the 3E Contingent Magic feat accomplish the same thing? Changing one's name when meeting the son of a man you've repeatedly tried to kill, hundreds of whose followers have seen you (and probably still have nightmares of you and your entourage on a hideous, winged abomination) isn't exactly an efficient way to avoid crucifixion, or being feathered by a thousand arrows from hidden snipers!
Because the FRA 103 trilogy apparently takes place before the Battles of the Golden Way (whoever wins, by the time the PCs reach the edge of Ra-Khati, Hubadai should know of his father's death), it would be conceivable that Hubadai has ridden off weeks earlier to a kuriltai to assert his right to rulership, and left a tumen behind to conquer Ra-Khati and the south of Shou Lung (and anything else they can find), but I rather fancy putting the PCs at risk because of how easy it was for them to become "angels of The Black God of Death" and slaughter dozens of Tuigan each night, so your comments on contingency are eagerly sought by me, Master of the Green Wood!
Besides all of that, just how would Cyric react to a mortal claiming to be "The Black God of Death" before his (Cyric's) competency hearing? It's entirely possible that some Tuigan and Shou and Semphari are actively worshipping my character already (praying for him to stay away and go kill someone else!). Pre-insanity, how much would that cheese off Cyric since the newly worshipped "god" is "merely" human? Inquiring DMs with complex campaigns want to know!”
Ed replies:

Contingency spells don’t and can’t work the way you allude to, in your first question. A contingency CAN’T recognize (be triggered) by the reactions or realizations of a third party that the spell hasn’t been cast on. It can only react to (awaken) a change in state of, or achievement of a particular situation of, the being (or, in certain special cases, item) it has been cast on. So a stranger recognizing the bearer of a contingency can have no effect on the contingency at all. A stranger doing something to said bearer, on the basis of recognizing them, can indeed trigger the contingency.
So if the stranger (His Mightiness Hubadai Khahan, for instance) sees and recognizes someone (such as, ahem, a mortal claiming to be "The Black God of Death"), any contingency on said mortal NPC wizard wouldn’t be affected at all. If the Khahan screamed orders to a thousand archers to pincushion the self-styled “Black God,” the contingency would still not awaken. If the archers did so, and the resulting death or harmful arrival of arrows was a condition of the contingency taking effect, then, yes, it would. A contingency is not sentient. It cannot anticipate the future, even obvious immediate consequences. If the Khahan pushes the Black God off a cliff, no contingency awakening (unless being pushed off a cliff was a specific condition of its operating). If the Black god’s every bone shatters upon his landing at the bottom of the cliff, and that (or the messy result) was a stated trigger for the contingency, THEN it would awaken. (To heal the body and teleport it away, for instance.)
As a DM, I have always adjudicated contingency spells with the same hawk-keen attentiveness to their precise wording as I have wish spells.
If I happened to be a player running the Black God character, I’d get rid of the steed and the trademark black garment before meeting with Hubadai Khahan, use magics to alter my appearance, and speak and act in a very different manner than I’d used while mounting my night attacks. (And encourage the same persona shift for any PC “angels of the Black God” accompanying me.) Instead, I’d pose as the “nice cop” (Hi, there! Better deal with us before night comes, and the Black God of Death shows up! Even we, who ride in the same army as him, are terrified of him! Now, I’m a reasonable man, and I’m hoping we can reach some sort of understanding before he loses patience and rides a-butchering again!) and leave the Black God as the “bad cop” threat, somewhere in hiding but beyond my control if we take too long conferring; he’s sure to burst forth marauding again . . .
Pre-insanity, Cyric would be enraged by a mortal claiming to be "The Black God of Death" for about a minute - - and then coldly amused, and delighted. He would do nothing to hamper the Black God character, and even send servants to aid and save the “Black God’s” butt, if need be . . . and reap all the benefits himself, whispering ideas to the character in dreams to guide him to do certain deeds. Only if the NPC “Black God” failed publicly, in a ridiculous manner, would Cyric abandon him and send servitors to slay him and disown him as “an impostor, laid low because of his defiance of Cyric, the TRUE and Only God of Death!”
In other words, the character would be placed in the horrible situation of having to succeed impressively (or get away clean) every time, to avoid an unpleasant death. Bwoohahahaha, and so on.
Sounds like an interesting campaign. :}

So saith Ed. Master of the Realms, but not the creator of Cyric (myself, I’m guessing Jim Lowder was).
P.S. Rino, I don't know of anything on the Net re. Embersea yet, though I can tell you it's a medieval/Renaissance-era fantasy setting involving a cluster of islands/continents (and I'm afraid that's about all). Ed built SOME stories into Castlemourn and there are others that are or were available on the Net (one was serialized in GAME TRADE magazine, and the links provided here at the Keep by Faraer, I believe, though I don't know if they still work). Ed plans to talk to the folks at MWP about doing more Castlemourn, even as free online fiction only, the moment he has the time.
Aye, there's the rub . . . we need more Eds. ("Isn't it rich, aren't we a pair? . . . Send in the clones, there have to be clones . . .")
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 28 Apr 2008 00:47:27
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  00:53:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, Ed says this:

You’re very welcome. I hope you continue to enjoy the Realms for years ahead, come what may.

Thanks so much, Ed--I'm sure I will.

quote:
I think my neighbour’s cat reads Candlekeep postings, too, because she meowed at me when I was out inspecting winterkilled plants in the garden this sunny afternoon, and then gently stepped down off the low tree branch she’d perched on, onto my shoulder, for a little ride-and-purr (a different sort of ride-and-purr than THO indulges in, I must add hastily). No sign of wings on her yet, though.

So saith Ed. Awww.

Very cute, indeed! One reason I loved the tressym answer is because I happen to be crazy about cats.

quote:
P.S. Rino, I don't know of anything on the Net re. Embersea yet, though I can tell you it's a medieval/Renaissance-era fantasy setting involving a cluster of islands/continents (and I'm afraid that's about all). Ed built SOME stories into Castlemourn and there are others that are or were available on the Net (one was serialized in GAME TRADE magazine, and the links provided here at the Keep by Faraer, I believe, though I don't know if they still work). Ed plans to talk to the folks at MWP about doing more Castlemourn, even as free online fiction only, the moment he has the time.

Ah well, thanks for telling me what you do now. I look forward to hearing more about it when the time is right.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 28 Apr 2008 00:56:05
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  01:34:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

(His "dream" project, I know, is to get to do another Volo's-style book for the Realms. A sassy female descendant of Volo spitting out catty restaurant reviews after touring parts of the 4e Realms, perhaps.)
love to all,
THO
And a fine dream it is. I must admit, I have sometimes wondered what Volo's descendents would be like, and this seems like a fitting time to ask Ed.

So, Ed, aside from this image of a "sassy female descendent," have you ever given much thought as to what the other descendents of Volo would be like?

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Apr 2008 01:35:40
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  01:38:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Is there a thread about this other world? I'd love some more information about it.
No dedicated scroll I'm afraid. I'm just working of the [very] brief utterances Ed has made in his previous "Questions" scroll, the 2007 volume.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  02:20:32  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Thank you, Gracious Lady Herald.

I an pleased to see that both Ed and another favorite "Realms writer" are available outside of the steel grasp of Hasbro. (Do the Board members consciously model themselves after the Transformers, or were the Transformers modeled after them? Kung-Fu action grip, mindless destruction, and so on...?)

One jests ... of course.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  03:05:34  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all.

(snip)

So saith Ed. Awww.
Yes, I DO enjoy ride-and-purr, whenever I can. Ahem. Now I bring unto all scribes more words of Ed, this time a response to Jamallo Kreen’s question: “Well met, and be ye all hale! I've really written (or DMed) myself into a rather unpleasant corner. One of my favorite characters is an NPC wizard who has been with the Army of the Alliance fighting the Tuigan. Outside of Telflamm (the Tuigan won the Battles of the Golden Way in my campaign and besieiged Telflamm), at night he regularly attacked the Tuigan / Shou / Semphari camp while riding upon a hideous abomination (Bloodstone's Spectral Steed) and, using a permanent tongues spell, he declared himself to be "The Black God of Death," because he habitually wears black.

(snip)

quote:

Contingency spells don’t and can’t work the way you allude to, in your first question. A contingency CAN’T recognize (be triggered) by the reactions or realizations of a third party that the spell hasn’t been cast on. It can only react to (awaken) a change in state of, or achievement of a particular situation of, the being (or, in certain special cases, item) it has been cast on. So a stranger recognizing the bearer of a contingency can have no effect on the contingency at all. A stranger doing something to said bearer, on the basis of recognizing them, can indeed trigger the contingency.
So if the stranger (His Mightiness Hubadai Khahan, for instance) sees and recognizes someone (such as, ahem, a mortal claiming to be "The Black God of Death"), any contingency on said mortal NPC wizard wouldn’t be affected at all. If the Khahan screamed orders to a thousand archers to pincushion the self-styled “Black God,” the contingency would still not awaken. If the archers did so, and the resulting death or harmful arrival of arrows was a condition of the contingency taking effect, then, yes, it would. A contingency is not sentient. It cannot anticipate the future, even obvious immediate consequences. If the Khahan pushes the Black God off a cliff, no contingency awakening (unless being pushed off a cliff was a specific condition of its operating). If the Black god’s every bone shatters upon his landing at the bottom of the cliff, and that (or the messy result) was a stated trigger for the contingency, THEN it would awaken. (To heal the body and teleport it away, for instance.)
As a DM, I have always adjudicated contingency spells with the same hawk-keen attentiveness to their precise wording as I have wish spells.

Well that seems perfectly reasonable. I'm aware of Elminster's "get me off'n this world!" contingency and I can see how its terms would evince a strict interpretation.

quote:

If I happened to be a player running the Black God character, I’d get rid of the steed and the trademark black garment before meeting with Hubadai Khahan, use magics to alter my appearance, and speak and act in a very different manner than I’d used while mounting my night attacks. (And encourage the same persona shift for any PC “angels of the Black God” accompanying me.) Instead, I’d pose as the “nice cop” (Hi, there! Better deal with us before night comes, and the Black God of Death shows up! Even we, who ride in the same army as him, are terrified of him! Now, I’m a reasonable man, and I’m hoping we can reach some sort of understanding before he loses patience and rides a-butchering again!) and leave the Black God as the “bad cop” threat, somewhere in hiding but beyond my control if we take too long conferring; he’s sure to burst forth marauding again . . .

Oh, Ed, you sound as if you're back to your merry old self again! That was a hoot and a holler. But the magical cote-hardie was created under 3rd edition rules. It's blackwork (black cloth embroidered with designs done in black thread). And it has a living metal collar reinforcement. And a really snazzy jasmal at the throat. We're talking tens of thousands of gold pieces, here! *sigh* I suppose he could magically send a message to a trustworthy friend who has the ability to teleport without error twice in a day, asking for a change of wardrobe ("and when you're putting away the cote, please remember: NO WIRE HANGERS!")

quote:

Pre-insanity, Cyric would be enraged by a mortal claiming to be "The Black God of Death" for about a minute - - and then coldly amused, and delighted. He would do nothing to hamper the Black God character, and even send servants to aid and save the “Black God’s” butt, if need be . . . and reap all the benefits himself, whispering ideas to the character in dreams to guide him to do certain deeds. Only if the NPC “Black God” failed publicly, in a ridiculous manner, would Cyric abandon him and send servitors to slay him and disown him as “an impostor, laid low because of his defiance of Cyric, the TRUE and Only God of Death!”

In other words, the character would be placed in the horrible situation of having to succeed impressively (or get away clean) every time, to avoid an unpleasant death. Bwoohahahaha, and so on.
Sounds like an interesting campaign. :}

That's what I thought. He's gone a bit low-key, "ixnay on the oddgay," after realizing that the REAL God of Death might be p.o.'d at him, but there's one advantage to being a specialist necromancer: the ability to burn holes in people's brains to make them forget that they saw you ... oh ... maybe ... for example, ... turn a Semphari siege engineer into so much chutney before magically disappearing. ("Hmmm ... that guard's eyeballing me a bit too suspiciously. ... Well, WHAM, there's three months of amnesia for you, fella!")

quote:

So saith Ed. Master of the Realms, but not the creator of Cyric (myself, I’m guessing Jim Lowder was).

Aye, there's the rub . . . we need more Eds. ("Isn't it rich, aren't we a pair? . . . Send in the clones, there have to be clones . . .")
love to all,
THO

Here endeth the lesson....

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  04:30:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all.
Sage, Ed has indeed given much thought, over the years, to possible Volo descendants. None of which has ever seen print, as editions change, the Realms timeline jumps, and TSR and WotC staffers blow hot and cold on the status of Volo (destroy him utterly! sorta like him as useful, y'know? No, make it as if he never existed! etc.).
We'll just have to see . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  04:56:06  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
Ah, Mr. Greenwood, THO

Out of curiosity, are either of you Star Wars fans?

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  10:54:13  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
quote:

Hi, all.
Sage, Ed has indeed given much thought, over the years, to possible Volo descendants. None of which has ever seen print, as editions change, the Realms timeline jumps, and TSR and WotC staffers blow hot and cold on the status of Volo (destroy him utterly! sorta like him as useful, y'know? No, make it as if he never existed! etc.).
We'll just have to see . . .
love,
THO

Oh gods, I completely forgot about Volo! Please Ed, for the love of....well, everything, do what you can to make Volo survive into 4th edition. Temporal trap, longevity potion, anything. I'm begging you on my knees here. "begs and grovels"

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  15:29:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
They'd BETTER not make it as if Volo never existed!

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  16:58:40  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
quote:

Oh, but thats an easy one to bring about: Just kill off Oghma and all knowledge of past, present and future will fade into nothingness! And with it all that Volo brought along and about. You know how dangerous gods 'live' these days...

Than again, it could be done easier as such 'changes' aka 'improving the Realms by getting rid of bothersome details' don't even need a decent explanation any longer.

*sighs*

Edit note: I applogize for bringing a sad mood to this scroll. Simply overread this if you will.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 28 Apr 2008 17:04:08
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  19:55:07  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Hey Ed. Sorry to add to your pile, but this one's been bugging me for awhile: what are common ways of referring to extra-planar beings among common folk of Faerun? Now, let me preface this by saying that I don't like the terms "demon" and "devil" and have never used them. "Fiend" is pretty much the only generic catch-all term I have. I'm assuming that learned people (mages, some clerics and paladins, other adventurers who deal with them often) would give them their proper names ("tanar'ri" or even "vrock"). But what about common folk, or adventurers who don't deal with the outer planes very often? I'd like as many different ways as possible to refer to extra-planar beings in general, and evil ones in particular. If they vary by region, that'd be interesting to know, and if you could throw in some demihuman (or even orc) terms as well, I'd be grateful.

A lot to ask, I know, but that's why we love you so.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  20:56:59  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Hey Ed. Sorry to add to your pile, but this one's been bugging me for awhile: what are common ways of referring to extra-planar beings among common folk of Faerun? Now, let me preface this by saying that I don't like the terms "demon" and "devil" and have never used them. "Fiend" is pretty much the only generic catch-all term I have. I'm assuming that learned people (mages, some clerics and paladins, other adventurers who deal with them often) would give them their proper names ("tanar'ri" or even "vrock"). But what about common folk, or adventurers who don't deal with the outer planes very often? I'd like as many different ways as possible to refer to extra-planar beings in general, and evil ones in particular. If they vary by region, that'd be interesting to know, and if you could throw in some demihuman (or even orc) terms as well, I'd be grateful.

I seem to recall the term "interloper" having been used, but not necessarily by the common folk...

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  21:23:19  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:

Oh, but thats an easy one to bring about: Just kill off Oghma and all knowledge of past, present and future will fade into nothingness! And with it all that Volo brought along and about. You know how dangerous gods 'live' these days...

Than again, it could be done easier as such 'changes' aka 'improving the Realms by getting rid of bothersome details' don't even need a decent explanation any longer.

*sighs*

Edit note: I applogize for bringing a sad mood to this scroll. Simply overread this if you will.

Oghma (to whom be great praise!) is a multi-planar, multi-world deity. Killing him in the Realms just allows another of his aspects to step in. Unlike Mystra, he's not such a fool as to be restricted to a single location.

May I suggest, however a deity of Memory who erases every memory of herself (or himself) from the minds of worshippers? Mnemosyne with an attitude, if you please (and a good, solid sense of self-preservation!): a deity whose "worship" consists in the prayers and "I wish that I could remember ..." statements of all peoples, but whose safety lies in no one remembering his or her existence?

Cosmic dibs on that idea! Better yet, multiversal, multi-brane dibs on that idea! I demand credit from any who use it!

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  21:27:28  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I use "monster," or -- in very extreme cases, "abomination." But, "What do I know?"

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  21:43:36  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met, all!

Today BBC published a Hubble Space telescope photograph of the
ARP 148 galactic collision
. (That red phrase is a link, new users of the Web, just click on it to see the picture of which I am writing. When you do, you will also, I am sure, go: )

Ed, since you wrote about half of the Spelljammer books (but not, curiously, Realmspace), is there anyplace in Wildspace where such a sight as a galactic collision is visible? Having seen MiB yesterday, I suppose that it could be a ridiculously small event which is visible over vast distances because of the bending of spacetime (and/or whatever passes for The Weave in a given crystal sphere -- perhaps it sends out waves of clairvoyance). I just don't recall ever reading about anything that spectacular and awesome. Enlightenment, please!

Hey ... wait a minute.... Cosmic, multi-versal and multi-brane dibs on that idea, too!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  21:55:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Considering that each solar system is in its own crystal sphere, I don't see how a galaxy could exist, much less collide with another one. I suppose that all of Known Space could be a single galaxy, but given the nature of the Flow and the distances involved, it would still preclude seeing other galaxies.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  23:33:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, but CRYSTAL SPHERES can collide - - and I recall Ed and Jeff Grubb discussing this very cataclysm at a GenCon seminar, back in the day . . .
Hmmm, off to Ed this one goes (and Hoondatha's, and . . .).
Ed who has been cackling these last few days, as he imagines and schemes new Realmslore for publication somewhere, somewhen.
(I'm expecting an answer in about three hours, to pass along to all scribes.)
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 28 Apr 2008 23:36:12
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2008 :  01:40:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Ah, but CRYSTAL SPHERES can collide - - and I recall Ed and Jeff Grubb discussing this very cataclysm at a GenCon seminar, back in the day . . .
I've speculated on something like this before -- focusing on the possibility that it would likely cause very specific disruptions to the Phlogiston pathways between the colliding Crystal Spheres, as well as to the pathways connecting them to other neighbouring Spheres. In fact, I even dropped a hint that this may have been the case during an alternate SJ campaign one-shot, where the crew of a particular Spelljamming vessel "felt" subtle vibrations [what they thought was turbulence in the Flow] from the gravitational waves spreading out from a collision between two Crystal Spheres [one of which they were passing].

Of course, the crew likely couldn't see the collision itself while travelling through the Phlogiston. But perhaps it would be possible to see the collision [or at least part of it], as the ship emerged from the Flow and began entering the Crystal Sphere.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2008 :  02:57:32  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Well met, all!

Today BBC published a Hubble Space telescope photograph of the
ARP 148 galactic collision
. (That red phrase is a link, new users of the Web, just click on it to see the picture of which I am writing. When you do, you will also, I am sure, go: )

Ed, since you wrote about half of the Spelljammer books (but not, curiously, Realmspace), is there anyplace in Wildspace where such a sight as a galactic collision is visible? Having seen MiB yesterday, I suppose that it could be a ridiculously small event which is visible over vast distances because of the bending of spacetime (and/or whatever passes for The Weave in a given crystal sphere -- perhaps it sends out waves of clairvoyance). I just don't recall ever reading about anything that spectacular and awesome. Enlightenment, please!

Hey ... wait a minute.... Cosmic, multi-versal and multi-brane dibs on that idea, too!

Call me a geek, but it looked like a super-Stargate opening to me.

Steven
who enjoyed that series for its fun mix of pseudo-history and pseudo-science fiction without losing its sense of humor

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000