Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  00:43:52  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
GoCeraf,
You obviously have not read all the ask Ed posts.
Lady Hooded choses her words more carefully than
a Sembian merchant handles mellons.
Read that as you will.

Ed,
Please tell us we have some Srinshee updates in the future.
I think I have fallen in love with her. I would love to use her,
and I have copied all the stuff in previous posts, but do you have
MORE you can give?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  00:53:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I expect new Realmslore from Ed in about two hours or so. Until then, lads'n'lasses, I'll just be over here, handling my melons . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  00:59:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Good. I'm in the mood for something sweet!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  02:47:24  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
::facepalms::

Just my childish shot at chivalry, is all.

Althen, Sage, far too cruel. THO... just... jeez.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  02:56:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Good. I'm in the mood for something sweet!

Ummmm... yeaaaaahh... I'm just gonna pretend your talking about some scrumptious Ed lore here....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Apr 2008 02:57:01
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  02:58:19  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

THO, please send my thanks to Ed. His answers were really helpful, especially the insight in Aboleth personalities!

THO, can you add something from your adventures in Ed's Realms? Have you ever encountered Aboleth, or heard rumors and legends about them?

Now that Ed considers it safe to discuss aboleths, would he please answer the accumulated questions about them which have been asked over the last couple of years, some of them repeats of other people's earlier questions? I can more or less recall two questions of mine, which I am probably rephrasing: "How is it possible for the memory of aboleths to precede the Days of Thunder? -- we can now guess that they have memories of Abeir -- and, definitely rephrasing: "How many points of Intelligence and/or Wisdom would a human need to have to avoid going crazy if the memory portion of an aboleth's brain were to be grafted onto his (by a Fleshwarper, for example)?" (Let's never mind the size differential in the last question -- size and shape are malleable by magic.) I eagerly await more aboleth lore from Ed and Bruce!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  03:52:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Now, now, Jamallo, Ed does not think it is necessarily "safe" to discuss aboleths. Note that he only answered PART of tauster's question, thus far; he is VERY carefully dancing around the still-in-force NDAs (and yes, your mention of Bruce shows me you can guess why they exist). However, Ed DOES have those questions of yours (he e-showed them to me two days back), so rest assured you're not forgotten!
This time, however, I bring Ed of the Greenwood’s Realmslore reply to this question, from Uzzy: “Do the War Wizards and other groups who defend the Obarskyrs rely upon clerical divinations such as Commune to ask various gods if an attempt is going to be made on the monarch's life? If so, which gods would they contact, what exactly would they ask, who would they have asking it and how often would it occur?
Thanks in advance Ed.”
Ed replies:

At first blush, many an observer would reason that they would make heavy use of divinations, and Purple Dragon Knight quite rightly pointed out that the Wizards of War do rely heavily on “mind-reaming” (my colloquial term for a variety of thought-reading spells that require the direct presence of the person whose mind is being peeked into, or the establishment of a prior link with that person, such as getting them to wear enspelled earrings or something of the sort against their skin).
However, the War Wizards do NOT use clerical divinations to try to anticipate any events, because it’s been actively discouraged for centuries. The elves who had to deal with Baerauble subtly hinted to him again and again that it was unlucky to call on the gods for such reasons, and even dangerous, because it would “let the dragons back in” (i.e. that the Purple Dragon and other elder, very powerful dragons would seize upon the spells to mentally influence the casters, to the point of mentally enslaving them - - though the casters WOULDN’T EVEN NOTICE). This was all hogwash (the elves just didn’t want the human interlopers to fall into the habit of using divine aid in consolidating any hold on Cormyr, or making divinations easy and routine enough to become used for regular spying on elven doings), but Baerauble had no safe way of making certain of that.
This discouragement was actively supported by Azuth and Mystra (the only entities Baerauble dared pray to for guidance), because they want to promote the use of arcane magic by everyone, NOT increase the reliance of any segment of the population - - least of all arcane spellcasters - - on thinking of “turning to the gods” any more than they all do, already, on a daily basis. In other words, rely more on the gods, and priests will always find a reason why you shouldn’t yourself pursue arcane magical studies or use, and instead turn to (and pay) them to handle all your magical needs.
So long before Vangerdahast (who doesn’t want to share power with, or trust, anyone, least of all Cormyr’s current crop of all too corrupt and self-serving high priests [note: I don’t mean they all are, I mean too many of that sort of person dominates the loftier ranks of clergy in the Forest Kingdom, as we saw at the end of DEATH OF THE DRAGON]) got into the saddle and started running the War Wizards his way, we had a situation where any War Wizard would instinctively shun using Commune or other “check in with the gods” magics to guide them in anything.
If they’re truly stumped, you might well see a local War Wizard using an intermediary to make an offering at a temple for a casting, to report back what befell, but it would be a great rarity - - and usually employed only when the War Wizard in question has reason not to trust fellow War Wizards (for example, investigating possible corruption within the Wizards of War).

So saith Ed. Creator of Cormyr, the War Wizards, Vangerdahast, and oh, yes, Azuth and Mystra, too.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  03:55:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
GoCeraf: I'm sorry. Truly. I appreciate your chivalry. (And have put my melons away. Mustn't do Sage a mischief!)
THIS particular lady is, ahem, "ruined." Yet that doesn't mean she doesn't deeply appreciate and salute the chivalrous.
Thank you, sir.
love and a chastely blown e-kiss,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  03:58:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
althen artren, *I* fell in love with the Srinshee long ago. I just queried Ed, who told me the Srinshee is under NDA at the moment . . . which in itself should tell you something. I promise that I will pester him often so that the very MOMENT he can share something about her, here, he will.
And I can be VERY persuasive when I want to be. (She said innocently.)
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 01 Apr 2008 04:03:08
Go to Top of Page

dravenloft
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  04:17:31  Show Profile  Visit dravenloft's Homepage Send dravenloft a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, all. I bring replies from Ed to Michael Lum of Skyhaven Games, and to dravenloft:

And to dravenloft’s query: Lady THO -- I must say, it sounds as though it is a pleasure for anyone with the honour to know you. (take that as ye will ).
I have a question for Ed, or yourself if it ever came up in the games.
What do the children of the Heartlands favour for toys? Especially Cormyr and the Dales, but any of that entire region is likely to come up.
I mean I'm picturing little clockwork dragons and cuddly stuffed cutsified owlbears and that's where my brain starts to break. Just generally what're the little folk of the lands fond of playing with and likely to be given for gifts (this last part especially, I'm fond of Lliiran clerics and have a habit of getting St Nick whims).”
Ed replies:

For common folk everywhere, the most common toys by far are small whittled wooden warriors, wizards, and dragons (followed by divers other monsters) and larger whittled dolls, often princes and princesses, dressed in clothes sewn from scraps of old rag. These are followed in popularity by “marbles” made of rounded stones, whittled-down nuts, frozen berries in winter, and, yes, blown glass, and by carved wooden toy swords.
Going a “step up” in terms of expense: elaborately-sewn, stuffed with scented herbs and ward-sick charms “hearth faeries” for cuddle-in-bed toys (these are often retained into adulthood, and for using as pillows, hugging, etc.); cast metal “little warriors” (what we would call model soldiers), dragon and other monster figurines that are large, well-painted, cast from metal, and assembled with articulated joints so they can be “posed.” Then there are knight-and-horse large figurines that are even more realistically modeled and painted, with real hair inserted, etc. Temples of Gond sell very expensive little clockwork toys, such as “revolving egg” jewelboxes that play tunes (metallic mechanical musical boxes with jewelry drawers, topped by upright ovoid “castle” or “cavern” that have several layers that rotate within each other by clockwork, so that “doors” in their sides slide open to reveal elaborately-detailed sculpted and painted scenes inside, such as feasts in castles, men fighting each other with swords, skeletons escaping manacles in a dungeon, etc.) and “marching warriors” (the familiar “walking soldier with windup key in his back”). In some large cities, a few crafters make large stuffed lions, cute dragons, and other “cuddle toys” that children can use as pillows, sleeping bags, play-steeds, and “friends.”
Next most popular among common folk are, I’m afraid, slingshots. :}

So saith Ed. Who is still very busy with novel writing, but is trying to get back to some of the neglected recent questions, ere he turns back into the archives and REALLY rolls up his sleeves . . .
love to all,
THO

Ah, many thanks. Though it led me to think of another sort and wonder at it's not being mentioned: Are enchanted toys exceptionally rare? I seem to recall magical trinkets in the odd novel now and then, like a music box or other decorative item. Is it correct to assume that there is some danger or other impracticality in -- say animating the little tin soldiers or the toy horses to nay when either is touched 'just so' or when you speak a certain word/phrase to them?

Space Opera, Planetary Romance, Speculative Fiction and similar by me.
check it out at http://universal-nexus.com
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  04:55:19  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
S'all good fun. I'm not being a discount tent or anything (...yeah, that's about right). I fully recognize (and appreciate) a good tease.

I'm just the shy sort, is all.
No need to apologize. I was just tryin' to get a laugh outta everyone.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  05:38:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thank You for all the new lore, THO - even though I have very little interest in using Aboleths, its nice to get some lore about how they think and operate.

Also, to give Dalor Darden some sort of answer, the culture you are looking for is probably that of the Tabaxi people of Mezro, in Chult. It seems fairly close to the Mwenemutapa Empire you are looking for. For all other 'Africanesque' Cultures, you would need to head over to Katashaka (south of Maztica) for those, and I highly recommend the Nyambe rulebook for the region, because we unfortunately do not have any canon information on that continent aside from the name (hopefully we will have some in the new FRCG, if it survives the cuts).

quote:

Also, I bring a response from Ed to Markustay:

There's no real pass through the Stormhorns anywhere north of "settled Cormyr." The Stonelands stand as an unbroken barrier to north-south travel, except by air or clambering. <snip>
So comments and asks Ed (who LOVES your maps, BTW, Markustay; please don't take this as criticism on his part). Over to you . . .
love,
THO

Sorry - missed this the first time through - this thread sees more action then a 'festhall lass' during Fleet week.

First, an answer (hows that for a switch?) - I think it had to do with the different 'flow' of the two novels (BtHR, and DotD). In the first, the protagonists seem to be getting back and forth into and out of the Stonelands a lot, and the last area I could accurately place them in was Arabel. Later, in the second novel (3rd, actually), the various characters and groups are getting around MUCH more slowly, and it appears they are indeed going all the way around through Gnoll pass in the later novel.

I think it's all that fast back and forth stuff happening in the first novel that threw me. Also, there is a mention in that book of a 'Worg Pass', that had me a little confused, but going back I can now assume that Worg Pass is the way through the Stormhorns via High Horn, correct? (so there actually is a second way through, but more east then north).

Now, a couple more questions about this -
The high Heath is mentioned "before they enter Worg Pass" - would that be the region aroung Huthduth, before getting to High Horn? (BTW, if this is covered in the Volo's guide, then please forgive me, I haven't gone back to that one just yet).

Also, where would the 'Mule Ears' be? It seems there is also another way through there, that "would bring one out just West of Redspring". Those would be a pair of mountains I'm guessing N-NW of Redspring, on the Stonelands side. I realize that an army could not pass this way (both going by what info you gave me earlier, and also how it is described in the book), and it is an 'unreliable' path only known to a few scouts (like Rowen).

Another thing - I did my own research for this awhile back when I did my Stonelands Map, but I just want to double-check it - The Forgotten Keep is Irongaurd, from Ed's Dungeon #18 adventure, correct?

Lastly, if Ed has the time or inclination, I would love to see his map of Cormyr - I'm trying to put back those things that were lost between editions, and even between Ed's Realms and 1e. I've gotten a lot of good info from Elminter's ecologies about the 'correct' way Northern Cormyr should look, but I would I would love to see how Ed himself pictured it. If you could possibly get this info for me THO, I would be forever in your debt.

Aluando has my E-Mail.

Lastly - Ed loves my maps?! Thats just... like... WOW. You made my day... no, my YEAR.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Apr 2008 20:56:22
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  15:54:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all.
dravenloft, I consulted with Ed, and gathered this:
Ed didn't mention enchanted toys because you asked what children were "likely" to be given, and so Ed rattled off the most popular toys. Only the children of the wealthy and a few not-quite-wealthy-enough-but-status-conscious (impoverished nobles, wannabe nobles, courtiers) are likely to get enchanted toys.
Yes, they CAN be dangerous (and the target of thefts, because kids tend to boast about their toys, and word spreads), but not usually. Most toy enchantments are feeble and carefully limited; some are even crafted so as to "wear out" after a time.
In Realms fiction, we tend to focus on royalty, nobility, officials, and other wealthy and important folk, so you, the reader, see more magic than many common folk ever do.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  16:02:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Helloa agin, all.
This time I speak unto Marusktay, re. matters cartographic and Cormyrean:
Worg Pass is indeed the way through the Stormhorns via High Horn, and the High Heath is the region around Huthduth. The "unreliable pass" is a climb for much of its way, passable only by skilled climbers, not even by pack mules (the origin of the name "Mule Ears" being where the mules laid their ears flat and refused to proceed; a very clever naming on Troy Denning's part). Again, you have the location right.
However, the Forgotten Keep is NOT Ironguard. Ironguard is a tomb complex with almost nothing aboveground to gain any sort of name. The "Forgotten Keep" is a ruined shell of a long-abandoned (except by monsters, heh-heh) castle from the days when Cormyr's rule in the northern lands was tenuous, at best.
As for getting your hands on Ed's original Cormyr map: you and me both! It's somewhere in some of the many boxes in Ed's basement, from his long-ago, exhausting move (one man, a rented cube van, some 40,000 books plus comics plus papers, a bent axle on the van from all the weight of said cargo . . . then Ed collapsed :} ).
And as for the praise for your maps: merely credit where 'tis due, Ed says. You do great work, and good service unto us all (Realms scribes).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  16:05:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, Markustay, one more thing from me: aboleths interest me very little as a "roll up and fight 'em" monster, but if run as Ed does, wherein they lurk unseen behind the scenes and work through manipulated, unwitting mind-influenced (not controlled; that'd be far too unsubtle) agents, whilst also mentally eavesdropping on PCs or anyone else delving too closely into their operations . . . THEN they become fun indeed. Especially if they tangle with illithids or alhoon trying to do the same thing. A campaign can become conspiracy-theory-hell for PCs!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  17:15:44  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
quote:

Oh, Markustay, one more thing from me: aboleths interest me very little as a "roll up and fight 'em" monster, but if run as Ed does, wherein they lurk unseen behind the scenes and work through manipulated, unwitting mind-influenced (not controlled; that'd be far too unsubtle) agents, whilst also mentally eavesdropping on PCs or anyone else delving too closely into their operations . . . THEN they become fun indeed. Especially if they tangle with illithids or alhoon trying to do the same thing. A campaign can become conspiracy-theory-hell for PCs!
love,
THO

I was thinking about something like this the other day. The thing that make creatures like Aboleths, Illithids and Doppelgangers so scary (in my opinion) is that they see you, but you have no bloody idea where they are, whether they are watching you RIGHT NOW, or what they are gonna throw at you.
I was wondering if there's any way to be given a permanent ability to see through all illusions, disguises, and know if someone is eavesdropping on you. I'm not asking for an ability that functions exactly like that, but anything that gives an edge would be nice.
For example, a bunch of illithids is mindscrying a human from afar, and the human lifts up his head and say "I see you". I guess that would freak the mindflayers out.
I'm asking because there's nothing more frustrating for me than villains who lurk in the background and toy with you, and you can't find them no matter were you look. I guess I just hate being manipulated.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

dravenloft
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  17:28:28  Show Profile  Visit dravenloft's Homepage Send dravenloft a Private Message
quote:

Hello, all.
dravenloft, I consulted with Ed, and gathered this:
Ed didn't mention enchanted toys because you asked what children were "likely" to be given, and so Ed rattled off the most popular toys. Only the children of the wealthy and a few not-quite-wealthy-enough-but-status-conscious (impoverished nobles, wannabe nobles, courtiers) are likely to get enchanted toys.
Yes, they CAN be dangerous (and the target of thefts, because kids tend to boast about their toys, and word spreads), but not usually. Most toy enchantments are feeble and carefully limited; some are even crafted so as to "wear out" after a time.
In Realms fiction, we tend to focus on royalty, nobility, officials, and other wealthy and important folk, so you, the reader, see more magic than many common folk ever do.
love,
THO

Ah, yeah, I did say 'commonly' didn't I? I don't always operate on all thrusters. Thanks again.

Space Opera, Planetary Romance, Speculative Fiction and similar by me.
check it out at http://universal-nexus.com
Go to Top of Page

Agnitio Veridicus
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  18:34:06  Show Profile  Visit Agnitio Veridicus's Homepage Send Agnitio Veridicus a Private Message
Master Greenwood (via Lady THO):

Is there such a title as that of Baronet, or something similiar, in Cormyr? If so, what qualifies one for such a title? If I remember correctly, in Britain it tended to be awarded to wealthy persons who contributed a large sum to the crown for a cause, and/or performed a service to the Crown?

-- Agnitio

Edited by - Agnitio Veridicus on 02 Apr 2008 16:35:31
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  19:35:53  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Something sweet Sage?

Hmmmmm, mayhaps we should stray back to yonder Realmslore now????
I wouldn't want to be accused of taking part in a rumble.

*pinkie finger to mouth corner"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  21:26:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
THO - Thank You once again for your speedy answers.

I thought they were the same Keep, because by my calculations they are in the same area. They must be practically on top of each other.

Thanks for the clarification.

You're answer concerning Aboleths makes me re-think part of the lore I've come up with for the Utter East Netbook (perpetual WIP), most especially regarding Doeganers. I will have to think on this - Ed always seems to send my mind in new directions.

Since I have his ear ATM, just two 'quickys' if I may; names for - tiny woods between Trollbark Forest and Misty Forest, and the small stand of woods across the Delimbyr from the High Forest, in the shadow of the Graypeaks. I attached it to the High Forest on earlier maps, thinking it was just a detached piece across the river, but now I'm not so sure.

If neither have names, can I name one 'The Greenwood'?

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Apr 2008 21:37:05
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  01:33:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone.
Markustay, the Forgotten Keep and Ironguard ARE very close to each other, but there’s a good quarter-day of hard travel in between them, unless you know PRECISELY the best route, because there are so many of the trademark knife-edged ridges-with-breakneck-ravines between, separating the two. In other words, to travel horizontally a quite short distance, you have to travel a long way up and down (in many stages, all of them uncomfortable climbing or slithering/falling).
As for sneaking in “The Greenwood,” sure, why not? Ed has always avoided naming anything in the Realms after himself, but when the City System boxed set came out, almost all of the TSR staffers whose names hadn’t already been added to the FR1 maps got immortalized in the city maps that came in that box, so Ed, who created the whole shooting match, should get SOMETHING. I’ll ping him, and if he strongly objects, I’ll let you know RIGHT away; if you hear no swift missive from me to the contrary, take it as a “yes.”
In Realmslore, this time, I bring you Ed’s response to Charles Phipps, specifically a question from back in January: “Ed, how common are Deities mating with mortals? Furthermore, how common are the offspring of such unions? Are they, in your opinion, 0-Level Deities or more like Half-Fiends/Celestials or Aasimarr and Tieflings?”
Ed replies:

In the Realms, deities mate with mortals for fun and to produce specific offspring. They do the former (often in magical disguise) often, and the latter very rarely. So the offspring of such unions are rare indeed, in part because producing such offspring always “bleeds” a little divine power away from the divine parent, and deities instinctively want to avoid this. Also, any deity who cares to investigate the past histories of such unions will discover that the offspring are always rebelliously self-willed, as in: defy the divine parent if they know about that parent, rarely become friends or allies of the divine parent, and all too often become active foes of the divine parent. If the deity takes care during the mating, they can often control the nature of the offspring (so a DM can have it be just about anything, including all the possibilities you list). If the deity does not, offsprings tend to be “deity material” in starting power.
Of course, some deities would want to destroy any mortal who knew or openly conjectured even the paltry few words I’ve set down here. Be warned . . . :}

So saith Ed. The Great God Santa Claus of the Realms . . .
(Oops, I blaspheme again. Whip me, someone. Please?)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  01:38:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, and while I'm waiting for said punishment, a thought occurreth to me, Markustay: in the two novels you mention (the first penned by Troy, the second by Troy and Ed), reflect on all the Stonelands trips mentioned, implied, and described, and think of how many were small groups of individuals who could use magic (teleports due to being a War Wizard or using a War Wizard cloak or ring enabling teleports to known destinations within and without the Stonelands (note that all Highknights and Obarskyrs will normally have both the cloaks and the rings, and many nobles have their own versions of the rings). Mounted forces or larger military forces of any sort can't use these "swift shortcuts," and have to struggle through the Stonelands, which is hard going east-west, and VERY hard and slow going, north-south.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  02:17:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I don't like whips. Can I punish you with the creative application (and removal!) of banana pudding, instead?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  03:14:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
But of course.
(Assumes innocent look.)
Is banana pudding just pudding applied with your banana?

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  04:22:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Ummmmm.... I'm not sure which I should thank you more for - your input on my Stonelands quarries, or for causing my old heart to go all 'a flutter'.

I suppose Thanks for both, since they both add fuel to my imagination.

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  06:39:20  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
THO and Wooly, behave, or I will be forced to whip you both.
Oh, this makes a question:

Aside from Loviatar, followers of which faiths might use pain/bondage/etc in their sexual life (more than others)?
I can imagine Sharess and Liira, though their very shaky relation with Lov may make it less likely, and Ilmater followers seem to be people who would explicitly not include it as they see pain as something you can't (or shouldn't) enjoy.
Eilistraee perhaps?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  06:47:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Gomez, while you're awaiting Ed's reply, I would suggest you also take a look through the compiled files, as Ed [and THO] have briefly discussed this subject in the past -- and in relation to certain religious rituals.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  08:04:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
To add my two cents - Bane (he's all about dominance).

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  14:04:02  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message
well met

the question is about the presence of Planescape factions in Faerun, I know that gods cover most of the stuff, but have planar philosophies established some minor influences in FR? Also are there any other philosophies that are similar to factions in a way that they aren't so (or not at all) religious?

thanks

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2008 :  15:18:46  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

love,
THO

I was thinking about something like this the other day. The thing that make creatures like Aboleths, Illithids and Doppelgangers so scary (in my opinion) is that they see you, but you have no bloody idea where they are, whether they are watching you RIGHT NOW, or what they are gonna throw at you.
I was wondering if there's any way to be given a permanent ability to see through all illusions, disguises, and know if someone is eavesdropping on you. I'm not asking for an ability that functions exactly like that, but anything that gives an edge would be nice.
For example, a bunch of illithids is mindscrying a human from afar, and the human lifts up his head and say "I see you". I guess that would freak the mindflayers out.
I'm asking because there's nothing more frustrating for me than villains who lurk in the background and toy with you, and you can't find them no matter were you look. I guess I just hate being manipulated.

[spoilers for Night Below ahead!]

Khorne, you should try the boxed set "Night Below" (2nd edition) then, where the PC will in the end directly attack an Aboleth City! My players are still a while away from that point - they don't even know of the Aboleth's existence. Since I don't think they know about these monsters (not even out of character), they are in for a few nasty surprises...

And to keep this posting from being totally off-topic, another related question for Ed:
Imagine a party attacks an Aboleth city deep in the underdark (i.e. the plot of the "Night Below" box), after having forced their way through a city of Kuo Toa the Aboleth enslaved with the help of Illithid allies (the city descends in a chaos of kuo toan madness, then the party marches further down towards the Aboleth city...). The author of the advendute (Carl Sagent) said that the main answer of the Aboleth, when they discover the party finally, is that they send wave after endless wave of thralls to kill the PC: Powerful underdark dwellers, creatures from various lower planes, etc. Additionally, the party will encounter a few aboleth glyphs that can transform the victim into slime, read its mind, mentally dominate it, etc.

My question: What would you do as DM? I expect the Aboleth would do all this stuff, but somehow it doesn't seem enough for creatures that much unfathomable. I am looking for countermeasures that are both powerful and subtle, and at the same time leave the party a chance of survival... which is not easy when you have creatures like aboleth!

Edited by - tauster on 02 Apr 2008 15:20:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000