Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2008 :  18:01:08  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
As always, any answers regarding royals (and royal kin) that hasn't been firmly established in published realmslore must, of necessity, be a bit... evasive.

As it happens, there isn't a whole lot of information in extant records regarding Galaghard's mother, because the father of Galaghard III (Bryntarth I) kept few records and was a fairly inactive king--given the reigns of the four hundred years that preceded his accession, Bryntarth I was rather sedentary, being bookended by kings with far more historical impact than he.

To answer the direct question: yes, Bryntarth's queen (and Galaghard III's mother) was indeed a Truesilver. Beyond birthing an heir and future king, her influence on Cormyr's society was just about nil, particularly in light of the actions of later queens consort.

Which raises another issue: while Cormyr has indeed had its powerful queens--Filfaeril and similar strong personalities--it has also had its wallflowers, its trophy wives, and its vicious, grasping disloyalties. Not every queen is remembered, and certainly not very one fondly.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2008 :  23:30:39  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Baleful Avatar

A short time ago, Agnitio Veridicus posted praise of the Volo's Guides that I heartily share. Ed, is there ANY way that you can think of, of persuading Wizards of the Coast of letting you do a 4e equivalent of Volo's Guides to specific areas of the "new" Realms? How would we best go about asking? I've called WotC's Customer Service reps before on other matters, and in each case discovered I knew far more about what I was asking about than they did. I also got the distinct impression that any suggestion I might make would NOT get passed on, to anyone else in the company.
In short, in your expert opinion, how do we get to effectively request specific product ideas, these days?
Thanks!

Those concerned that Customer Service at Wizards ranks near the bottom of the barrel along with Time-Warner Cable (eight hours on hold!) ought to look at my scroll, "Why Hasbro Doesn't Give a D*** About Our Opinions." Ed has no influence on the inefficiency of their telephone personnel, and as long as Hasbro keeps turning the profits it does, they have no incentive to improve their service.

Warhammer Fantasy, anyone?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2008 :  23:52:40  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed can a freak occurence cause a spellcaster to become a "living spell" of sorts, if yes, would he retain any semblance of Intelligence or would he or it just be insane?

A follow-up on your reply to my query about the ridgeline between Trollbark forest and Lizard Marsh.

You told me that Foulwings keep the were-giants from expanding south, are these Foulwings augmented creatures as well, what book are they in btw?

What aquatic creatures of note occupy this region, would a Brine Naga find such a region of interest?

I'm still seeking to find out if in YOUR game there is an active powers that trades with any of these factions since I'm sure between the trolls, coveys of hags, giants and other creatures there has been an accumulation of items of value over the centuries.

Has there been any attempt made to exterminate the trolls of this region and if so why has it failed so far, I'm assuming Baldur's Gate, Waterdeep, Daggerford and other nearby settlements can't agree on dividing the areas if they commited forces to cleansing them, methods of how to cleanse them and so on?

How long does a magic potion last in a normal weave environment, meaning no wild magic, dead magic or fluctuations occured?

When you attempt to put a ghost to rest does the ghost automatically sense when you have achieved task that will allow it to rest or must you return to the ghost first?

Do half-dragon horses exist in any known area in faerun and what would the value of such a creature be, would drakkensteeds be creatures found in faerun, from Dragon Magic source book?

I assume that the Sammaster rage caused many dragons to slay offspring and crush eggs or leave them abandoned, this lead me to wonder what of all those lairs of dead dragons and the possible hoards they left behind. Do you portray dragons as knowing who their neighbors are and where their neighbors probably lair or good estimation of whereabouts, if yes, would the dragons who survived rage and got their bearings together then likely beat treasure hunters to unclaimed lairs, like would they have an advantage over most mortals? If adventurers/organizations across faerun begin acquiring the hoards would this cause an increase in hoard-seekers and thus place dragons in continued conflict even though the rage is over?

How would you view dragons faring during the spellplague?

Thanks, had alot on my mind.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2008 :  03:39:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring replies from Ed to Michael Lum of Skyhaven Games, and to dravenloft:
First, to Michael:

Thanks very much for the invite, Michael, but it’s highly unlikely I’ll ever again attend conventions in December, January, or February. Winters in my part of the world have simply become too harsh to risk leaving my wife (who’s over seventy) alone in a farmhouse that frequently gets snowed in and loses power (and without me around to chop wood or smash the woodpile free of ice and carry logs in, she’d freeze to death), to drive on impassable roads some 120 miles to one of the world’s worst airports (Pearson, in Toronto). It’s all just no longer worth it. In 2008, I’ll probably end up attending only four conventions, total; I’m just too busy these days to break off work. Sorry!

And to dravenloft’s query: Lady THO -- I must say, it sounds as though it is a pleasure for anyone with the honour to know you. (take that as ye will ).
I have a question for Ed, or yourself if it ever came up in the games.
What do the children of the Heartlands favour for toys? Especially Cormyr and the Dales, but any of that entire region is likely to come up.
I mean I'm picturing little clockwork dragons and cuddly stuffed cutsified owlbears and that's where my brain starts to break. Just generally what're the little folk of the lands fond of playing with and likely to be given for gifts (this last part especially, I'm fond of Lliiran clerics and have a habit of getting St Nick whims).”
Ed replies:

For common folk everywhere, the most common toys by far are small whittled wooden warriors, wizards, and dragons (followed by divers other monsters) and larger whittled dolls, often princes and princesses, dressed in clothes sewn from scraps of old rag. These are followed in popularity by “marbles” made of rounded stones, whittled-down nuts, frozen berries in winter, and, yes, blown glass, and by carved wooden toy swords.
Going a “step up” in terms of expense: elaborately-sewn, stuffed with scented herbs and ward-sick charms “hearth faeries” for cuddle-in-bed toys (these are often retained into adulthood, and for using as pillows, hugging, etc.); cast metal “little warriors” (what we would call model soldiers), dragon and other monster figurines that are large, well-painted, cast from metal, and assembled with articulated joints so they can be “posed.” Then there are knight-and-horse large figurines that are even more realistically modeled and painted, with real hair inserted, etc. Temples of Gond sell very expensive little clockwork toys, such as “revolving egg” jewelboxes that play tunes (metallic mechanical musical boxes with jewelry drawers, topped by upright ovoid “castle” or “cavern” that have several layers that rotate within each other by clockwork, so that “doors” in their sides slide open to reveal elaborately-detailed sculpted and painted scenes inside, such as feasts in castles, men fighting each other with swords, skeletons escaping manacles in a dungeon, etc.) and “marching warriors” (the familiar “walking soldier with windup key in his back”). In some large cities, a few crafters make large stuffed lions, cute dragons, and other “cuddle toys” that children can use as pillows, sleeping bags, play-steeds, and “friends.”
Next most popular among common folk are, I’m afraid, slingshots. :}

So saith Ed. Who is still very busy with novel writing, but is trying to get back to some of the neglected recent questions, ere he turns back into the archives and REALLY rolls up his sleeves . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2008 :  05:09:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

As always, any answers regarding royals (and royal kin) that hasn't been firmly established in published realmslore must, of necessity, be a bit... evasive.

As it happens, there isn't a whole lot of information in extant records regarding Galaghard's mother, because the father of Galaghard III (Bryntarth I) kept few records and was a fairly inactive king--given the reigns of the four hundred years that preceded his accession, Bryntarth I was rather sedentary, being bookended by kings with far more historical impact than he.

To answer the direct question: yes, Bryntarth's queen (and Galaghard III's mother) was indeed a Truesilver. Beyond birthing an heir and future king, her influence on Cormyr's society was just about nil, particularly in light of the actions of later queens consort.

Which raises another issue: while Cormyr has indeed had its powerful queens--Filfaeril and similar strong personalities--it has also had its wallflowers, its trophy wives, and its vicious, grasping disloyalties. Not every queen is remembered, and certainly not very one fondly.

As always, my esteemed friend Garen Thal has the right of it. The only thing to add is that the two inauspicious reigns of the "Bryntarths" has led to this name being very low down the totem pole for future sovereigns of Cormyr. It's not so much considered in the royal family to be bad luck to be named Bryntarth, just likely to lead to an individual and/or reign with little or no noteworthy elements. Then again, it makes you wonder why there haven't been more Duars and Dhalmasses.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2008 :  06:44:09  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
Mr. Greenwood,

What sorts of music are prevalent in some of the Southern lands? Specifically, what sorts of music are popular in Halruaa and (at least at the moment) the Border Kingdoms? Additionally, do any of these styles of music have real-world equivalents?

For some reason, I have this weird image of the western Border Kingdoms being a prevalent place for flamenco-style music.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Dalmar Amad
Seeker

Germany
56 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2008 :  12:04:33  Show Profile  Visit Dalmar Amad's Homepage Send Dalmar Amad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GoCeraf

Mr. Greenwood,

What sorts of music are prevalent in some of the Southern lands? Specifically, what sorts of music are popular in Halruaa and (at least at the moment) the Border Kingdoms? Additionally, do any of these styles of music have real-world equivalents?

For some reason, I have this weird image of the western Border Kingdoms being a prevalent place for flamenco-style music.

Hello Mr Greenwood, Hello Lady THO,

I want to add a question to this one please.

I'm interested in music that one would hear while wandering through markets and bazars of nations like Turmish, Chessenta, Chondath and Thay. I imagine it would be a bit like music from north africa but would like to know what you would say to be a realworld example of what these regions' music could sound like.

Thanks in advance,

Dalmar

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2008 :  15:46:45  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and lovely Lady THO,
What are the politics of the "man in the street" if said man is a citizen of Suzail? Support the government? Feel differently about the Obarskyrs then about Vangerdahast? Like/dislike the War Wizards? Like some Obarskyrs more than others? Like/dislike nobles? If so, one noble or noble family over another? Various noble factions and their attempts to change laws and opinions? Or do they even know much about noble factional manoeuvering?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2008 :  17:27:24  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
Greetings Ed and the most gorgeous THO!

I was sitting here, looking over the Wizards site articles and thought to my self, "What was the first 'dungeon' in the realms?". Because, for example, you have Netheril Age, and that was many, many years ago.

Or, being who she is, does the Shrinshee know of the oldest 'first' dungeon? Is there any record of the first dungeon, and/or does it still exist somewhere to this day?

And entirely off subject: Ed, did you ever get a chance to look at the Redeemers of Dawn article posted here in the Compendium in October? If possible, a PM would be delightful (and more private time with THO is always lovely...even if I do like boys! )

Many thanks to ye'both!
Neriandal/Charles

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006

Edited by - Neriandal Freit on 30 Mar 2008 17:28:30
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2008 :  20:04:49  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
I have another Realmslore question (of course).
Are there any glassblowers, or sources of a wide variety of glass bottles/phials/other sorts of containers, in Suzail? If so, where? (I don't need an exhaustive list or great detail, just a few shop names with street locations and a line of descrip about the place and proprietor.)
I know, I know, not much, eh?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  00:55:49  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

The mention of names for Cormyrian royalty above brought to mind a question...

How do you come up with all those wonderful names, Ed? Do you have some kind of system for doing so? Do you think about consistency of sound for each language, or do you just jumble up some letters or do you have some other method? I know you mentioned that the word "lust" in Alustriel's name was a deliberate/conscious choice, but I'm pretty sure you also mentioned that it was kind of an exception rather than a rule...

About my favorite non-Chosen character's name - is the name Myrmeen inspired by the word "Myrmidon" at all? And how common a name is it? Are there other Mymreens of note from history? Which language does the name come from (Scott Ciencen's novel "The Night Parade" has us learning that Myrmeen was raised in Calimshan - or strongly implied that was the case, but Myrmeen herself doesn't seem to be Calshite in apperance, so my guess is (most likely) Tethyrian (though I suppose she could be Chondathan or Illuskan, since people do immigrate/migrate from time to time - and, oh dear I've gone off on a tangent!))?

Back to my names query though - what names are "currently" (1375 to 1385 DR) popular in Cormyr (particularly Arabel, but I'd be interested in knowing about Suzail, Marsember, and smaller towns like Eveningstar as well)... What kinds of things to people take into consideration when naming their children - is it common to name a child after parents and grandparents, or are parents more likely to name a child based on their own whims without regard to ancestors... Nobles, I assume are more likely to follow the former, but how about common people? Are god names common for children? (Are there many Arabelans named after Tymora, for example, given Tymora appeared there during the Time of Troubles? Would such a name be considered good luck? )

I'm sure some of the answers to these questions have appeared in this forum before, and if so I humbly apologize for not going through the archives to find the answers myself... But my time is short these days.

Lastly, and I really have to slip this in knowing we're not likely to get answers, what do we know about Myrmeen Lhal's child, aside from who the father is, if anything? Gender and/or name would be nice. (This does mean I'm considering a sequel to my Blood and Snow fanfic - so it would be useful information to know.) (Jumping 100 years into the future would make it seem like some NDAs might get lifted, but I suspect we won't see that until after the new FRCG is published...)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  01:25:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Lovely questions, Zandilar; off to Ed they go!
This time I bring to the assembled scribes Ed’s response to this query from maransreth: “I couldn't find anything about this when searching, so thought to ask here. Question came about when doing parts of the house that needed work, especially the nursery.
What deities do the average craftsperson venerate? For example painters, carpenters, bricklayers, etc. Does it depend upon region, vocation, etc?”
Ed replies:

Almost all intelligent, civilized creatures across the Realms actively venerate a variety of deities. Only priests, paladins, would-be priests, and a few lay worshippers cleave to only one deity; the great majority of folk in the Realms, during their day, pray to and make offerings to a dozen or more deities.
For example, if your painter was starting a new project, he might pray to Lathander as the sun came up, then pray to Tymora for good fortune during the working day before tackling any important task (like blending pigments to match a hue exactly). If he had to devise anything (like a hoist to lift a bucket of paint into a high corner, or scaffolding to keep himself or another painter up in that corner, too), he might stop and pray to Gond. When the working day was done and he was about to purchase food on the way home for the next day’s meals (or his own evening meal if he lived alone and wasn’t going home to someone else who had an evening meal ready for him), he’d pray to Chauntea that “good” vegetables, cheeses, and breads be available to him. And so on.
It’s important NOT to think of the Realms in terms of real-world monotheism. Everyone in the Realms “believes in” ALL the gods.

So saith Ed. Patiently explaining the Realms everywhere, as the years pass.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  02:02:14  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Yes, I remember Ed explaining this at a long-ago GenCon seminar. He stressed that your average mason's helper or backshop baker or errand lad knew the portfolios, basic do's and don'ts, and relative status of all the deities of the region and their race, and could easily judge for themselves which god to pray to first, and how, and how much, in a given situation to best "cover their behinds."
It actually has a large effect on world-view and daily living. You're using the gods in particular combinations to best "get ahead," and otherwise behaving the way these gods want you to, in response. Or largely ignoring the gods and just trying to stay out of trouble. With the majority of the populace being somewhere in between.
Ed explained it as: those of us in modern North America who play the stock market, versus those of us who put it all in a bank, and those of us who live hand to mouth and don't care about coins.

A life lesson I've never forgotten.
Ed, will you adopt me?
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  02:06:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, no, you don't, Blueblade!
He's adopting ME, first! And, I believe, most of the ladies who work with him at the library, who plaintively ask him to do so whenever he brings in his latest goodies for them to eat, and they're peeved at their husbands or kin.
Plus more than a few beautiful young things at conventions, who've sat in his lap and asked him that same question you just did.
So I hope you're a lot more young, female, and beautiful than I know you are, or you're outta luck, buddy . . .

love (no, really!),
THO
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  02:13:15  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Ahem. *I* would also like to put myself forward as a candidate for adoption by Ed. I'm quiet, don't take up much space, and . . . references available upon request and all of that. While I'm not female, I'm willing to dress up in ladies' clothing, and - - oh, never mind. It was fun while it lasted.
Anyway, I DO have a Realms question for Ed. In a large city (Waterdeep, Suzail) are there specialized repair shops for implements, furniture, and clothing? If so, are they good enough to do repairs that don't LOOK like repairs from a distance?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  15:31:13  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Hello Lady THO (bows)
I have another Cormyr question for Ed. In the Realms campaign I run, one of the PCs is seeking to prove that he has royal blood. NOT as a bastard son (or descendant of same) of some Obarskyr monarch, but descended somehow from a royal brother or sister who never reigned.
I believe the player behind the character is just seeking to get a play advantage for this, but his delving after information in various libraries and with sages and oldtimers he can get drunk in taverns and pump for hearsay is a lot of fun.
My DM problem is: I know such a thing is farfetched (line of descent being somehow lost and forgotten down the years), but is it possible? I don't know enough about the Obarskyr family tree to rule on this. Reading recent posts here, it seems George Krashos, Garen Thal, and Tom Costa have a copy of it, which tells me it has been worked out, so . . . please help. I'd love to be able to give the character his blood-tie, just to see what he tries to do with it; this has been the most lively player-generated element in our campaign so far, in three-and-a-bit years of play.
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  15:36:34  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message
Oooh, I'd like to see a swift answer to Broken Helm's question for my own campaign purposes, too! Please please please!
Ahem. I do have a question of my own. Along the Dragon Coast, Cormyrean and Sembian shores, are there seasonal "beachings" of fish (like smelts or pilchards in our real world) that people can just go down to the beach and gather in sacks?
Thanks. Yes, the questions just keep getting weirder.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  15:44:24  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear THO and Ed,
I have (surprise!) a Realms question. This time about books. How available are "used" books for sale in a fair-sized city (e.g. Berdusk, Elturel, Suzail)? What's the selection and condition likely to be like? And the prices?
No rush on this one. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  16:30:09  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
In response to Zandilar's query: yes, Myrmeen would be considered "Tethyrian" by current ethnic etymology. I cannot, obviously, comment on Ed's naming procedures, except to say that he is quite good, and that the list of names from which he can pull at a moment's notice is positively astounding.

As for current names, one male name that's been popular over the last decade or so (by "last," I mean starting in about 1370DR) is 'Thom,' a diminutive for the well-liked--and now-fallen--Warden of the Eastern Marches, Baron Thomdor. [A note: the name is pronounced THOM, not TOM, with a heavy emphasis at the TH when spoken by those from upland Cormyr, and a lighter weight, more vocalized vowel, by those from Suzail and Marsember. Think the difference between "dwarven" and "elven" pronunciation, you'll about have it.]

Lastly, Zandilar, I'm afraid any details regarding the child of Vangerdahast and Myrmeen Lhal must remain secrets for just now. If we're lucky, we'll see something fairly soon, but rest assured that the child has not been forgotten...
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  16:37:15  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Baleful Avatar
In a large city (Waterdeep, Suzail) are there specialized repair shops for implements, furniture, and clothing? If so, are they good enough to do repairs that don't LOOK like repairs from a distance?
There are a few 'fixer' repair shops, across the Realms, but in general, repairs in large cities are performed by specialized craftsmen that work in that style of goods already. Sure, you can go to a blacksmith to fix your wheel, but he's going to use iron bands to do it, and it's going to look like a blacksmith did the work. Likewise, a wheelwright can perform crude repairs on your grandfather's favorite chair, but good luck making sure it's level or won't creak when you lean forward to reach for the bread.

Essentially, those that are skilled enough to do a particular form of work so as to make it look authentic generally work in that field, not as generalists. One makes more money selling specialized goods to nobles than by repairing second-hand goods for commoners.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  16:46:44  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Helm

Hello Lady THO (bows)
I have another Cormyr question for Ed. In the Realms campaign I run, one of the PCs is seeking to prove that he has royal blood. NOT as a bastard son (or descendant of same) of some Obarskyr monarch, but descended somehow from a royal brother or sister who never reigned.
I believe the player behind the character is just seeking to get a play advantage for this, but his delving after information in various libraries and with sages and oldtimers he can get drunk in taverns and pump for hearsay is a lot of fun.
My DM problem is: I know such a thing is farfetched (line of descent being somehow lost and forgotten down the years), but is it possible? I don't know enough about the Obarskyr family tree to rule on this. Reading recent posts here, it seems George Krashos, Garen Thal, and Tom Costa have a copy of it, which tells me it has been worked out, so . . . please help. I'd love to be able to give the character his blood-tie, just to see what he tries to do with it; this has been the most lively player-generated element in our campaign so far, in three-and-a-bit years of play.
Thanks!
Hoo, boy...

Everyone's accounted for in the Royal Lineage (being that we've lost count of how many times we've done the counting), but I can't discuss where and when the counting has been done. NDA, and a big one, until such time as Wizards decides the Lineage can be released.

Speaking entirely outside the Lineage, it's possible that such an heir exists, untraced by the War Wizards (and, gasp, Vangerdahast), most likely having been lost track of during the early years of Cormyr. You need an for lost or altered records, and age can be one of them, but essentially it's up to you as DM--not a hidden and subject-to-approval-or-change-by-WotC file--whether and where this character's blood ties him to the Dragon Throne.
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  16:48:59  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

In my home campaign I have two mid to late teens playing rather boisterous characters that, when away from the main group, say in a town or tavern, tend to try and push the common man around (both are CN) and come off as unstable. While I tend to play NPCs in well policed areas a bit more unlikely to accept bad treatment, in less lawful areas where help might be less than timely, I normally play the NPCs a little more of the "I'll play nice with the crazed blade and magic wielding adventurer types in hopes they spend their coin and move along quickly" and a bit more sheepish in their outcry of being pushed around. The common man (the average lower level shop keeper, clerk, or craftsmen) NPC who stand up and tell the powerful folk where to get off are far and few between in most cases IMO. While each NPC can be dramatically different, I expect the common man just wants to do his work, earn a wage and go about his life that isn't interrupted by the potential of being enspelled or put to the blade of whack job adventurer.

Can either of you comment or offer any insight on NPC reactions to this type of behavior? I try to picture how shop keepers and common folk tended to react when the outlaws came to town in the old west movies... some were greedy and sucked up, some ran and hid until the ruffians went away, and others decided to test their metal.

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 31 Mar 2008 19:09:08
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  22:40:08  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Lady THO, Ed, and Garen Thal,
the recent reply to Broken Helm was very interesting. What is the likelihood of a noble family "losing track of" legitimate born-in-wedlock family members over, say, the last century? And how good would Court or War Wizard or heralds' records be, at "knowing" persons who turned up claiming noble lineage?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  22:57:29  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Ed, please tell us about the 'leathers' adventurers often wear in your work. Is it exactly D&D leather armour?
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  23:04:51  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

Lady THO, Ed, and Garen Thal,
the recent reply to Broken Helm was very interesting. What is the likelihood of a noble family "losing track of" legitimate born-in-wedlock family members over, say, the last century? And how good would Court or War Wizard or heralds' records be, at "knowing" persons who turned up claiming noble lineage?
Thanks!
Unless a wedding was forbidden, resulted in a disowning, was done in secret (with one party not known or under a false identity), willfully concealed (that is, by the officiant) or otherwise not recorded, the issue of such a union would only be "lost" if it were delivered in secret, exile, or in transit on a long journey, presumed dead or stillborn, or (again) willfully concealed.

Noble wives are watched extremely closely by Heralds, fathers, husbands, fathers-in-law, War Wizards, Highknights, cultists of every dark deity (Bane, Shar and Loviatar ranking roughly equal at the top three in this case, followed by Malarites at fourth, then Myrkulites and Cyricists rounding out the fifth and sixth slots), midwives, and all manner of seers, charlatans, opportunists, kidnappers, and other delightful folk the moment their pregnancy becomes a matter of knowledge anywhere approaching "public" (that is to say, around the middle of the fourth month, when both the Lady Noble's absences from revels and changes in figure become obvious, and excuses can no longer be made), so "secrecy" is in fairly short supply. And that is to say nothing of the wagging tongues of servants, courtiers, liveried folk, and other well-meaning sorts just trying to seem important when reporting that "The Lady Marliir's expecting, she is. She is! Well, it was only yestereve that she demanded--and not quietly, mind--a tray of minted eel paste. True enough, I swears it. Had to pick the leaves meself..."
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  23:12:42  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

In response to Zandilar's query: yes, Myrmeen would be considered "Tethyrian" by current ethnic etymology. I cannot, obviously, comment on Ed's naming procedures, except to say that he is quite good, and that the list of names from which he can pull at a moment's notice is positively astounding.
<snip>

Thank you muchly for the answer.

I agree that Ed's ability with names is astonishing... I often find myself thinking of just pulling out all his Realms books and making a list of the names (categorized by where and when they appear in the Realms geographically and chronologically, and also by race) - but then I think about how much work that would be and I don't do it... The idea, of course, would be to put it up online somewhere as a source of "genuine" Realms names for use as character names.

(P.S. I always thought Thomdor was THOM-dor, not TOM-dor. )

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  23:16:03  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar
(P.S. I always thought Thomdor was THOM-dor, not TOM-dor. )
And it is. I'm just reiterating that the diminutive Thom is pronounced like the Thom in "Thomdor," not like that in our "Thomas" or "Thompson" (or other "Tom" name).
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  23:27:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Faraer, I'm not sure about exactly like D&D leather armour (I'll wait for Ed to reply on that), but I can confirm that "leathers" is indeed Realms colloquial for leather armour (more specifically, one's own, form-fitted armour).
And believe me, Ed wants to visit the Sceptered Isle again, as soon as he has time. (For one thing, his wife was born and grew up in Surrey.) It's the time and money that are the inevitable rubs, these days.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  23:28:41  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Faraer, I'm not sure about exactly like D&D leather armour (I'll wait for Ed to reply on that), but I can confirm that "leathers" is indeed Realms colloquial for leather armour (more specifically, one's own, form-fitted armour).
And believe me, Ed wants to visit the Sceptered Isle again, as soon as he has time. (For one thing, his wife was born and grew up in Surrey.) It's the time and money that are the inevitable rubs, these days.
love,
THO
Mmm. Inevitable rubs.

I like the sound of it already...
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  00:04:15  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
Come now, G.

Not EVERYTHING she says is an innuendo. Get'cher head outta the gutter.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000