Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  23:07:10  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Ed's answers imply that Larloch MAY have some plots, but if he does, they're so wide-reaching, complicated, and clandestine that virtually no one in the Realms [including the Chosen] knows what they are.

One of his current 'plots' revolves around controlling portals and portal networks throughout Faerûn. He's looking at controlling the gates indirectly. In the sense that he'll be doing a couple of things:-

(snip)

All of this is intended to be done without the hand of Larloch being apparent.

You forgot one other purpose, Sage: to shove everyone onto Abeir when Wizards of the Coast discovers that D&D {sic} 4.New.Coke is a complete fiasco: Mystra knew that Cyric and Shar would kill her on Toril, so she has always protected Larloch, who will repay her by whisking everyone to the long-lost alternate world of Abeir in which Mystra survives, the Spellplague never happens, the chaos lands Shadowfell never falls, and Hasbro keeps the money that everyone spent on 4.New.Coke books.

Hmmm ... considering that Amauntor wound up with the portfolio of "all time" because of a clerical error (the type made by Bob Cratchitt, not the Archbishop of Canterbury), can a similar error occur to replace the insane deity Cyric with Me as the insane god, Cynic?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  00:40:08  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
BWAA HA HA HA HA
Go to Top of Page

ddporter
Seeker

26 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  01:34:30  Show Profile Send ddporter a Private Message
Precisely what I sought, sir--memories of the person, not the legend. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31392 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  05:10:06  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
I found this query for Ed floating in the ether:-
quote:
Originally posted by Ifthir

Greetings to THO and Ed, I had hoped for some guidance as to where I might find more about Nuris Elfward mentioned on page 77 of the Lords of Darkness REF5 accessory. Any information regarding this NPC or where I could more information is welcomed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
26812 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  18:07:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
And as an addendum to my previous helmed horror questions... Can they be created without the use of a corpse and/or the Doom of Bane spell?

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2008 :  05:39:52  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Salutations Ed, hope you have recovered from the con.

Todays "inquiring minds want to know question" comes from deep below Myth Drannor. Althen Artren would like to map out the tunels of Clan Tarnystone. While I assume that they are behind a great big, top heavy NDA, i was hoping for info like depth below the ground, what building cellars and tombs they touch, what might be lurking around in them, neat stuff like that.

I hope WOTC forgot about this little blurb in their past supplements.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1054 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2008 :  23:09:44  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO

More Lore requests for the ever growing pile :)

Could Ed provide information on two 'less well known' NPC's please?

Lharave the Swanmay from the OGBS and Ilsheen the Watchghost who guards Elminsters Back Door (from Dungeon 30).

Also THO do the Knights use El's 'back door' as a quick way in to see the old coot, err Sage of Shadowdale , and/or as a trap/escape route to lure/run away from, ambitious Zhentlings, Thayans, Dragon Cultists etc?

As an addendum to that, are there other mini-dungeons/trap holds around Shadowdale that the Knights use on a (ir)regular basis to confound their foes? (not counting the ones we already know - Grinding Gulf etc, unless you can share a particularly juicy story about their use? )

Thanks and best wishes

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1553 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2008 :  21:55:55  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Hello Ed and THO

More Lore requests for the ever growing pile :)

Could Ed provide information on two 'less well known' NPC's please?

Lharave the Swanmay from the OGBS and Ilsheen the Watchghost who guards Elminsters Back Door (from Dungeon 30).

Also THO do the Knights use El's 'back door' as a quick way in to see the old coot, err Sage of Shadowdale , and/or as a trap/escape route to lure/run away from, ambitious Zhentlings, Thayans, Dragon Cultists etc?

As an addendum to that, are there other mini-dungeons/trap holds around Shadowdale that the Knights use on a (ir)regular basis to confound their foes? (not counting the ones we already know - Grinding Gulf etc, unless you can share a particularly juicy story about their use? )

Thanks and best wishes

Damian

Ooh, I'd certainly wish to see this one answered! (Elminster's Back Door brings back many good... er... evil DMing memories ;)

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

4834 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2008 :  02:48:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring another Realmslore reply from the snowbound Ed of the Greenwood, who this time tackles this query from thom: “And my first question for 2008 is for you and your fellow Knights. I'm (re)starting my campaign using 2nd edition rules (after a TPK and my burning out with 3.X rules and the 4th edition debacle). I've been looking over the stats for beholders and their eye rays (kill, fry, disintegrate ) and I'm wondering just how in the Nine Hells did the Knights manage to whack as many beholders as they did!
Did Ed modify his beholder's eye rays to make them less deadly, or did the Knights have some special tactics or magic going for them? I'm asking because I want to have some answers when my PCs decide to ask sages and other experts in my campaign for any advice before they go up against my eye tyrants. Thanks for any help!”
I furnished my reply back on page 2 of this year’s thread, and promised a “proper answer” from Ed, to which thom replied: “Thanks milady! That's basically what I needed to know. But yes, please add to my question for Ed: could he list some of the alternate powers he substituted for his beholders' eye rays?”
Ed replies:

Certainly. Second edition rules applied at the time, and I used all of the following, plus (less often) many more:

Animate Dead (used on corpses of adventurers and handy skeletons of earlier beholder victims)
Cause Serious Wounds
Hold Monster
Reverse Gravity
Flying Fist (see the FR Adventures hardcover sourcebook)
Paralyze (see the FR Adventures hardcover sourcebook; eye ray equals “touch”)
Missile Mastery (see the FR Adventures hardcover sourcebook)
Shroud of Flame (see the FR Adventures hardcover sourcebook)
Dismind (see the FR Adventures hardcover sourcebook; eye ray equals “touch”)

I was aiming to make beholders into formidable “duke it out” foes for mid-level adventurers (which is what the Knights were, at the time), but not instantly fatal encounters. Of course, I had already taught my players the value of having their characters flee like heck to survive to fight another day, so in cases where they COULD readily flee, I often had "straight" Monster Manual beholders guarding a spot, door, or item they wouldn’t budge from (meaning: once the adventurers realized they were facing a REAL beholder, they could flee for their lives and make it away, but if they got too cocky [“Oh, Ed’s beholders aren’t so hot”], they were in for a nasty surprise).

So saith Ed. He tells truth, and I have the psychic scars to prove it.
I have some real ones, too, but that’s another story . . .
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 11 Mar 2008 02:44:12
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Senior Scribe

USA
987 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2008 :  03:03:00  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
hello again, Ed and THO...

i'm wondering if Ed's notes on Oreme extend beyond what was written. that would be too silly a question to ask, if his notes on every other subject under Selune are any indication.

so i'll narrow it, tho i'm eager to hear a broader answer as well.

the short version: did you or Eric (i'll ask him too) write a full-blown timeline of the sarrukh liches, or have any particular names or deeds in mind for any of them beyond what we know about the Terraseer?

i was intrigued by the sarrukh liches and their rotating lordship. i'm arranging a timeline of which lich ruled when, and when some of them crumbled to dust. i'm keen on avoiding any contradiction with work that's already been done, but i haven't seen any such work.

the point of this exercise, naturally, is to make it possible to pass blame for various mishaps large and small onto targets from whom PCs may find it difficult to exact vengeance in the usual up-close-and-personal way. and perhaps create tie-ins with Imaskar, whose history is considerably more extensive in my notes (and no doubt yours) than the official version.

thank you for any thoughts you can spare on the subject!

http://xaeyruudh.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31392 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2008 :  06:22:34  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
I found this one floating in the ether:-

quote:
Originally posted by dalor_darden

I'm not sure if this is even an appropriate place for this ...but since I can't think of a better place; I'll give it a shot here!

THO

In the very many years you have been playing D&D with Ed Greenwood, I'm sure you have come to know so much about HIS Forgotten Realms. You have also gathered quite a bit of influence on just what Ed's Forgotten Realms really is like...after all, it is the player(s) who make a world truly come alive at the gaming table...just as much as the DM. I'm not sure what all there may be that would prohibit you from answering questions about the "Real" Forgotten Realms, but I thought it would be nice to at least chat about and be able to ask questions about it all.

I guess I'll start!

When playing with a DM that is very detailed in his world, what for you was the most challenging aspect of continuous play in Ed's campaign?

Also, what was the first thing about Ed's campaign world that made you take a step back and say "Hey! That is AWESOME!"

Just a couple for right now...I don't want to spend time for an essay or anything because this might not even be the right place to do this...or may not be something that should be done at all!

Thanks for your time!

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Senior Scribe

USA
987 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2008 :  06:59:48  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:

quote:

this might not even be the right place to do this...or may not be something that should be done at all!

Thanks for your time!

heh... what better place to talk about Ed behind his back than right under his nose? and i think we all relish answers to those questions.

and many thanks indeed, THO.

http://xaeyruudh.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2008 :  15:05:49  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Here's another question to add to the pile. It sprung up from a discussion about Assassinations over on the WoTC FR boards.

Do the War Wizards and other groups who defend the Obarskyr's rely upon clerical divinations such as Commune to ask various gods if an attempt is going to be made on the monarch's life? If so, which gods would they contact, what exactly would they ask, who would they have asking it and how often would it occur?

Thanks in advance Ed.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1752 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2008 :  21:49:03  Show Profile  Visit Purple Dragon Knight's Homepage  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Here's another question to add to the pile. It sprung up from a discussion about Assassinations over on the WoTC FR boards.

Do the War Wizards and other groups who defend the Obarskyr's rely upon clerical divinations such as Commune to ask various gods if an attempt is going to be made on the monarch's life? If so, which gods would they contact, what exactly would they ask, who would they have asking it and how often would it occur?

Thanks in advance Ed.

Ah! but Commune need not be exclusively a divine spell... several prestige classes in 3.5 allow for an arcane caster to choose select spells from any spell list and add it to their repertoire (and vice-versa). Case in point: the Unseen Seer prestige class allows you to gain access to any one divination spell of a level equal to the highest you can cast or lower. A player in my campaign selected "Commune" even though he could cast 9th-level spells (and therefore, could have selected something of a higher level on the cleric or bard list; he still went with Commune 'cause it's too darn good).

There's also Limited Wish which can, I think, duplicate Commune (but I'd have to check on this one).

No matter how they access it, yes, I do believe the War Wizards rely HEAVILY on divinations of all kinds in the daily administration of the Forest Kingdom (Ed often speaks of "mind-reaming", some kind of magical interrogation technique employed by the War Wizards, for one...)

PDK,
making a stand at 3.5, and stopping at 1375 DR

----------------
"I do not have access to unlimited funds, but even if I did, I wouldn't want to pay for sourcebooks for which I would have zero use, just because they have the Forgotten Realms written on the cover."
"Paizo is just plain better. Besides, they are still supporting my game of choice. WoTC spellplagued my campaign of choice."
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

3230 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  00:37:30  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,

I was going to make an "Ask THO" thread...but it didn't pan out...sooooo....

Can THO be asked questions here...or do they have to relate to Ed?

Take a journey of exploration with Dalor Darden at our Ravenlore Press Fan Page as he explores the World of Ark

You can follow Dalor on Twitter also.

A Product of Ravenlore Press

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  01:01:45  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:

Thanks in advance Ed.

Ah! but Commune need not be exclusively a divine spell... several prestige classes in 3.5 allow for an arcane caster to choose select spells from any spell list and add it to their repertoire (and vice-versa). Case in point: the Unseen Seer prestige class allows you to gain access to any one divination spell of a level equal to the highest you can cast or lower. A player in my campaign selected "Commune" even though he could cast 9th-level spells (and therefore, could have selected something of a higher level on the cleric or bard list; he still went with Commune 'cause it's too darn good).

There's also Limited Wish which can, I think, duplicate Commune (but I'd have to check on this one).

No matter how they access it, yes, I do believe the War Wizards rely HEAVILY on divinations of all kinds in the daily administration of the Forest Kingdom (Ed often speaks of "mind-reaming", some kind of magical interrogation technique employed by the War Wizards, for one...)

True that. I agree with all your points, but the specific thrust of my question was whether or not the War Wizards ask questions of the Gods (hence why I used the term clerical divinations, as clerics are the most likely to get good answers out of the gods) about possible future assassination attempts.

I think that asking the Gods about these things is a bit different to the rest of the divinations the War Wizards use. Which is why I asked Ed.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7894 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  01:27:11  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

Hello Ed and THO,

People have asked THO questions in this thread before, especially since she, and Ed, have been answering questions in these threads for 4 years now almost, so I don't see why you couldn't ask her in this thread.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31392 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  02:21:18  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Hello Ed and THO,

I shifted your post to this scroll because, as Kuje notes above, questions asked to the Lady Hooded One have often been posted in this, Ed's, scroll. Plus, our lovely Lady Herald of Realmslore often chimes in on discussions and questions specifically asked to Ed, so it makes sense to keep both discussions for Ed and the Lady Hooded One, in the same scroll.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

4834 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  02:41:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes, jacks and lasses fair . . .
[adopts deep voice, leans in close to purr]
Ask me ANYTHING.
[deep, shuddering moan]
Ahem.

love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 11 Mar 2008 02:42:20
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

4834 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  03:01:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
This time I bring some brief words of Ed in response to Wooly Rupert’s Helmed Horror queries: “That of course got me wondering (especially since I've always loved helmed horrors). Is Aragus still around? What are its goals? How is it treated by the folk of Waterdeep? What is its legal status (as in, is it considered a citizen, and if not, what rights does it have?)? Can helmed horrors gain levels or class abilities? And lastly, are there other noteworthy independent helmed horrors out there?”
and:
“And as an addendum to my previous helmed horror questions... Can they be created without the use of a corpse and/or the Doom of Bane spell?”
Ed replies:

Hi, Wooly! Yes, Aragus is still around, but has “faked” its own destruction and is now keeping a low profile, with rooms it can hide out in, in both Dock Ward and North Ward, and using a hargaunt (see my current Knights trilogy of novels) to give it various lifelike “human face” masks.
Its goals remain mysterious (as in, both NDAs and my own unfolding campaign needs to remain silent apply). Most folk in Waterdeep consider Aragus to be “no more” (some Lords know better, but are keeping silent for their own reasons.
No, helmed horrors can’t gain levels or class abilities in the same way that PCs can. They CAN be augmented by wizards (and if playing 3e, insert applicable prestige classes here) of sufficient power and learning, so as to gain hit points, better attacks, particular abilities, etc.
Yes, there are other noteworthy Helmed Horrors active in the Realms right now (I have to check with certain mysterious WotC personages to see if some current NDAs prevent me from discussing two of the most famous/infamous, so I’ll return at some later date with more . . . or not).
And yes, there are several other methods of creating helmed horrors besides using a corpse or a Doom of Bane spell. Magic armor can be mated with a wraith (by means of the right sequence of spells), for one (and other undead can serve, to be “bound into” armor; even simple animated skeletons can be put into armor and spells used to create a crude facsimile of a helmed horror. Augmented battle horrors (the feather fall, dimension door, and magic missile-hurling variants, only “powered up” to do worse things) can be made by a variety of magical processes, and at least one priesthood (Gond’s) has been seeking to craft its own guardian helmed horrors through rituals and prayers (that is, divine magic only, with nary an arcane spell involved; BTW, they have done this thus far unsuccessfully).

So saith Ed.
And I’d like to add a personal postscript to dalor: certainly you can ask me things, and I’ll be quite happy to answer. I’ll probably post an answer to your question that Sage redirected here, tomorrow, but I must run now. The phone we nicknamed “the Bat Phone” years back is ringing, and that means urgent work . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1046 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  03:15:29  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Yes, jacks and lasses fair . . .
[adopts deep voice, leans in close to purr]
Ask me ANYTHING.
[deep, shuddering moan]
Ahem.

love,
THO
A smidge to the left, would you?

[The first, and hopefully last such outburst...]
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

3230 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  03:28:18  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Hello Ed and THO,

I shifted your post to this scroll because, as Kuje notes above, questions asked to the Lady Hooded One have often been posted in this, Ed's, scroll. Plus, our lovely Lady Herald of Realmslore often chimes in on discussions and questions specifically asked to Ed, so it makes sense to keep both discussions for Ed and the Lady Hooded One, in the same scroll.

Many thanks!

Take a journey of exploration with Dalor Darden at our Ravenlore Press Fan Page as he explores the World of Ark

You can follow Dalor on Twitter also.

A Product of Ravenlore Press

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
587 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  15:02:39  Show Profile  Click to see Foxhelm's MSN Messenger address  Send Foxhelm a Yahoo! Message Send Foxhelm a Private Message
This is a comment I thought Ed would get a kick out of:

Reading a tribute to Mr. Gygax and read about him becoming religious and mentioning the idea of a creator mapping out the universe in advance. Then it came to me.

God is a Dungeon Master and we are all the PC in his game!

Just wanted to share this thought during this time after the death of one of Ed colleagues in gaming.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
26812 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  15:28:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Reading a tribute to Mr. Gygax and read about him becoming religious and mentioning the idea of a creator mapping out the universe in advance. Then it came to me.

Just wanted to share this thought during this time after the death of one of Ed colleagues in gaming.

If that's the case, some of us rolled better than others.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  16:16:02  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage  Click to see AlorinDawn's MSN Messenger address Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

If that's the case, some of us rolled better than others.

If that is the case I got faulty dice! I demand a redo!!!

Currently reading: Eyes of The Dragon by Stephen King

Long live Sniffy Wigglebottom
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2014 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000