Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2008 :  00:41:10  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
A question that THO I'm sure can answer, but Ed of course is welcome if he is not too busy:

Its been bandied about the various chats that the monetary system used by Dungeons and Dragons, while easy to learn, doesn't reflect well a medieval monetary system where Gold is much more valuable (as it seems to be in novels by just about any author). So...the question!

Did Ed use the standard D&D monetary system or did his drive to have things so very detailed send him in the direction of making up his own more "accurate" monetary system for his home campaign...and if so, what was it?

Thanks!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2008 :  03:15:35  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
Melgalian!!!!!

Now, I see a very familiar face here in the Keep!

Take a chair and a glass full of elverquist, old Master of Lore! And be welcome!

Chosen of Moradin (or Khelben Arunsun / or Yuri Peixoto) ^^

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2008 :  13:21:00  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, all. I bring another Realmslore reply from the snowbound Ed of the Greenwood, who this time tackles this query from thom: [snip]

So saith Ed. He tells truth, and I have the psychic scars to prove it.
I have some real ones, too, but that’s another story . . .
love to all,
THO

Thank you, Ed! That's precisely what I was looking for! ::rubs hands together gleefully/evilly:: Now I can get cracking on my plans for my PCs to tangle with some Zhent beholders, and have some old wisebeards ready to give them sage advice after a few run-ins.

Go to Top of Page

ShepherdGunn
Seeker

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2008 :  14:05:51  Show Profile  Visit ShepherdGunn's Homepage Send ShepherdGunn a Private Message
Well met, all.

Just a quick question, following up on the whole Dragon Egg question (as I have a game that Dragon Eggs are an intricate part of the game), are there any other locations other than Sembia and the Dwarves that engage in a brisk Dragon Egg trade? Also, I know it would be difficult, and a bit odd, but with Calimshan being such a huge slave trade location, as well as few other nations, is there a Dragon Slave trade as well? Of course, only the truly rich and powerful (or those that think they are, would engage in such foolishness, but I'm just kinda wondering.

Also, just want to say, every time I read about Ed's games, I get jealous. I wish I was 1/10th the storyteller he was.

"Man does not live by bread alone, likewise, blades and arrows aren't the only things that can kill him."
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  02:53:41  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed you answered a question last year, I was wondering if you could expand on it, what are the religious observances of Lizard folk?

Here's your reply to trading with scalyjaws in Lizard Marsh.

Humans in the area would crave lots of marsh plants for cooking and alchemical uses, plus eels and some of the savory clam-like swamp mollusks for their dining tables. And, yes, lizardfolk will trade (warily) with other races, if not threatened and if they can do such trading in ways that don’t require leaving the vicinity of the marsh (they feel very vulnerable away from easy reach of the waters), and don’t require a lot of speech and long bargaining. Lizard folk are NOT unthinkingly, unobservantly stupid; within their home area, they know the land and natural cycles very well, and tend to be cunning. Lizardfolk can set snares, flush out prey (working in well-organized hunting bands), are stealthy foragers, and often prepare “hideouts” in overgrown wilderness areas, to keep themselves hidden from the eyes of humans and others who may offer them harm. They are particularly learned in what swamp plants can be crushed and smeared on themselves and on undergrowth they must pass through, to entirely baffle anything trying to track or identify them by scent.
Finding fresh, clean drinkable water near a marsh isn’t always easy. It has to do with groundwater flows, not necessarily with distance. However, if one doesn’t mind drinking brownish, muck-tasting but perfectly healthy water, there are herbs that can be dropped into containers of water to “kill the squigglies” and make the water safe to drink, and also some forest plants that can be boiled, and the resulting “juice” added to marsh water to precipitate all the floating brown sediment out of the water AND alter its taste to something less strong. Other tissanes (teas) of rose petals and other floral petals can then be added to the water to make it quite pleasant to taste (selling “sweet” waters in villages along trade-routes is a widespread, sustaining industry across the Realms, because folk who know how to do it, who can freely gather the necessary plants, can do it with only pots, a fire, something to stir it with, and vessels to hold the result.
If your NPC treats the lizard folk well and fairly, showing their religious observances respect and avoiding making them overly suspicious of possible treachery (if the NPC has allies working with him/her, he/she should let the lizard folk see them approach; they will turn hostile if they think they are being surrounded, or one group are doing them ill while another distracts them), he/she should be able to develop a truce, then a working trading relationship, and eventually trust and closer alliances. He/she should avoid doing anything that might be viewed as trying to harm the marsh, cut it back, clear a way through it, or make it smaller, and should not act in a hostile manner if he/she finds the lizard folk watching him/her continuously or closely; it is their “way” to keep watch over neighbours. Just in case.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  11:07:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
I'm not Ed and not having the singing voice and the bawdy twinkle in my eye, would never profess to be him. That said, I'll have a go at two of these questions and let Ed elaborate as he pleases. Ahh, it's nice to be back in one of my original sandboxes.

quote:
Originally posted by Melgalian

1) No more than two lines (in a column!) telling about the castles built in Dessarin Valley for many people, like the elembarans, in circa 200 DR, known as Mlembryn lands. Have you, my dear friend, any more words about that?

The Mlembryn lands were first mentioned in Ed's Athalantar article in Dragon #228. I included reference to these lands in my North Timeline and linked them with the refounding of Illusk and a few other references from 'Volo's Guide to the North'.

The GHotR didn't include all of the references to the Mlembryn lands. Two others are as follows:

225 Year of the Shattered Skulls
Gluthtor’s great orc horde is turned back by the elves of the Sword Coast lands, at the cost of much of their strength, in the battles of Five Falcons and Hungry Arrows. Many settlements of the Mlembryn Lands are devastated and settlers there begin to rebuild their homes and fortunes.

and

253 Year of Somber Smiles
The dwarves of Thornhammer Hold and the humans of the Mlembryn lands unite to destroy a troll army at the site of present-day Calling Horns.

Mlembryn was a wizard and early explorer of the North. He was a companion (and some say lover) of the famed Sabirine (see 'Pages From the Mages') and known to have plundered several Netherese tombs found in the hills north of Old Owlbear Well. Sages say that one of these tombs held the remains and magical legacy of Iaelendar "the Weaveservant", an archwizard of Low Netheril and creator of at least two unique types of magical scepters.

One of these scepters is described in an old, crumbling tome titled Tholontir's Magiography kept in the Vault of Sages in Silverymoon and states that the scepter is shaped like a hand and up to 5 magical rings can be put on the extended 'fingers' of the scepter allowing the wielder to access all of their powers and effects simultaneously!

Mlembryn is believed to have disappeared in the Year of the Wyrmclaws (176 DR) after leading an expedition into the Ice Lakes region north of present-day Luskan. Then, as now, the region was a breeding ground for teeming hordes of kobolds and his remains may yet lie moldering in some cramped, dark kobold warren.

quote:
2) Specifically in TGHotR, the Lord of Calandor, ruin of Delimbiyran, of Phalorm, of Elembar, of Tavaray, is mentioned only as "Lord (or Duke) of Calandor". Can you provide me with a brief lineage of this House? Where was Calandor located itself (the old one, before it was ruined in a battle of dragons)?

The Duchy of Calandor had its genesis in the fall of Elembar. The following is from the unedited and unchopped version of Eric Boyd's "Toppled Thrones" article that appeared in one of the last editions of Dragon magazine:

"In the Year of the Cantobele Stalking (342 DR), the fall of human-ruled Athalantar to an orc horde precipitated a hasty alliance between the Stout Folk of Dardath and the Fair Folk of Ardeep that was made permanent after the last Council of Illefarn was called. The Alliance of Illefarn then began debating allying with the humans of the region against the burgeoning threat of orc hordes rising across the North. However, before that decades-long discussion could reach any form of consensus, King Harnorth II Snowsword and most of the lands of Elembar fell to the Tarnished Tusk horde, which was in turn destroyed while invading the House of Stone, in the Year of the Fortress Scoured (511 DR). Only the capitol city of Delimibiyran and the lands immediately bordering it survived the orc horde’s assault.

Only a dozen years later, in the Year of Trials Arcane (523 DR), the elves of Ardeep and the dwarves of Dardath invited the humans of the Delimbiyr river valley, the gnomes of Dolblunde, and displaced halflings from Mieritin (now absorbed into Amn) to the Council of Axe and Arrow at the Laughing Hollow, where Phalorm, Realm of Three Crowns was founded. Javilarhh “the Dark” Snowsword, son of Harnorth II and heir to the throne of Elembar, was crowned King of Delimbiyran, one of Phalorm’s ruling triumvirate.

The ancestral lands of Elembar, along with the north and south banks of the River Delimibiyr downstream of the Laughing Hollow were reorganized as the human-ruled Duchy of Calandor and given to Javilarhh’s younger brother to rule, while the riverbanks north of the Laughing Hollow as well as part of the Dark Hills (as the Horn Hills were now known) were established as the human-ruled Duchy of Scathril under the leadership of Javilarhh’s brother-in-law, a descendant of the ruling house of Athalantar."

Calandor and Scathril were the two 'human' duchies of Phalorm and with that kingdom's fall, became the two most powerful noble families of the newly formed human kingdom of Delimbiyran, the Kingdom of Man. With the death of King Davyd and the fall of the Kingdom of Man, the duke of Calandor formed his own realm as did many other leading ex-nobles of Delimbiyran [as well as more than a handful of adventurers, mercenaries and rich merchants such as Azarash "the Silklord" (a wizened calishite merchant and exiled minor satrap of Manshaka), Feorboth "Fivepoints" Ulthin (ex-leader of the Steelshields mercenary company out of Athkatla) and Naelthas Yvirthal (a half-elf ex-adventurer and druid famed for leading the Company of the Brightmantle adventuring band in their successful three-season hunt of the green dragon Maerlithardrano in the depths of the High Forest)]. Most of these realms were swept away in the unrelenting orc raids of 702DR until the then Duke of Calandor, Mavilarl by name, united the ragtag forces of the humans of the Dessarin valley into an alliance and defeated the orcs at the Battle of Burning Winds (with the hidden assistance of the mages of the Covenant).

Following this success, the ambitious Duke Mavilarl sought to raise himself to a pre-eminent position among the polyglot realsm of the Dessarin Valley but the disaster of 714DR when the city of Delimbiyran was destroyed in a magical inferno saw a swift, charred end to his ambitions.

Centuries later, in 928DR, his descendant Salinarhh, known as "the Sly" to his rivals, brought the diminished and stagnant holding of Calandor back to a position of power in the region by a combination of deft diplomacy, alliances through marriage (he had 4 sons and 3 daughters) and the threat posed by his unshakeably loyal and battle-hardened younger brother Garlantarhh (a storied warrior in his time, famous for singlehandedly slaying the ogre chieftain Vorug "the Blackclaw" in hand to hand combat). However, Salinarhh's ambition met with active opposition from the allies and followers of Nimoar of Waterdeep. Nimoar's leadership in the First Trollwar a few years later, saw the focus of power in the Dessarin valley shift toward present-day Waterdeep, where it has remained to this day.

As noted in GHotR, the direct male line of the dukes of Calandor would die out in 947DR.

quote:
3) (And most important) It is said that Illuskan people come from the West in circa -3100 DR and (re)settled Sonnmorndin of Haunghdannar, in Arauwurbarak (Ruathym). Although I like to think about how some habits of this people where inherited from dwarven vestiges (longbeard, axes 'n hammers, the alphabet itself), I want to know what myths and origins they carried with them. What sort of gods, beliefs and customs may have survived?

And this is where I hand over to Ed. All yours, big guy.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  19:41:08  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

Was Truename magic a part of the high magic cast to destroy the drow deity of undead? If truename magic exist in faerun is it kept hidden since it's a danger to all beings, are any of your characters, Chosen aware of truename magic?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  20:18:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

One of these scepters is described in an old, crumbling tome titled Tholontir's Magiography kept in the Vault of Sages in Silverymoon and states that the scepter is shaped like a hand and up to 5 magical rings can be put on the extended 'fingers' of the scepter allowing the wielder to access all of their powers and effects simultaneously!

Krash, I know I've read about this scepter before, but I can't recall enough details to be able to look it up! Can you (or someone else) tell me a bit more about this?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  21:42:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello all,

Was Truename magic a part of the high magic cast to destroy the drow deity of undead? If truename magic exist in faerun is it kept hidden since it's a danger to all beings, are any of your characters, Chosen aware of truename magic?

True name magic does exist in FR and it has since 1e at least. And yes, the Chosen are aware of it, which is why they don't give out their true names except for the few that they are close to, etc. The true names of the Seven Sisters, for example, are in the sourcebook by the same name. Ed, over the years, has also discussed true names.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  23:32:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Indeed. Truenames are part of the Realms both via the fantasy tradition [mostly notably in Le Guin's "Earthsea" books starting in 1968] and via D&D [see Unearthed Arcana's truename spell]. As ever, the Realms has its particular take, which we can read about here [from Ed], in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical [available as a free PDF download here], and various other sourcebook and novel references. Ed also describes a few specific truenames for certain Realms NPCs and how they function for them in his compiled replies here at Candlekeep -- specifically the '04 and '06 files.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  23:40:51  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks scribes and sages.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2008 :  08:21:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Krash, I know I've read about this scepter before, but I can't recall enough details to be able to look it up! Can you (or someone else) tell me a bit more about this?

I do recall Ed mentioning previous magic items (not necessarily scepters) that allowed a wielder/wearer to use more than one magical ring at a time, but can't remember the specifics.

My view is that with all such "good ideas" it would be very likely that many individuals through the centuries have come up with this concept independently of each other.

As I said, I'll let Ed pad it all out as he does so brilliantly.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 20 Mar 2008 08:25:54
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2008 :  11:55:37  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:

quote:

It's in Code of the Harpers under the magic section.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2008 :  13:07:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

quote:

quote:

It's in Code of the Harpers under the magic section.

Gaudle's Rod of Rings, page 107. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2008 :  23:37:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, everybody. Ed apologizes for the paucity of his replies recently (family stuff plus frantic Realms-related work, as usual), and asked me to step in with a reply. So, fresh back from a busy little mission of my own, herewith my reply to a query from arry, to whit: “I was wondering, Dear Hooded Lady, what word or words to describe the 'death' of undead creatures were/are used in Ed's games?”

A lot of terms, depending on who’s doing the describing. “Destruction/destroying” was common, “disruption” decidedly less so. “Laying to rest” and “sending down” were colloquial clerics’ phrases, and “sending to dust” or “taking to dust” more formal, flowery (bardic or priestly sermonizing).
Looking over my notes, I find that Ed, playing The Simbul (NPC), uttered the words “unrest to rest” after she blasted a lich to glowing dust (the glow being her spell that “returned it to the Weave,” meaning removed all undeath from the dust-motes).
[BTW, re. createvmind’s recent truenames query, I recall Ed, in-character as Laeral, mentioning that truenames were Weave foci for a being - - that is, a way of causing the Weave to focus magic upon a particular creature.]
“Driving down” (Ed speaking both as an anonymous War Wizard and as a Sembian Lathanderite priest) was another means of referring to destroying undead in battle.
I’ll pass this on to Ed, and see if he can add anything more, when he surfaces from his long months of toil. I can assure you the man isn’t taking a holiday from Candlekeep, but rather pounding the keyboard frantically to try to catch up on all the design work and fiction writing he needs to get done.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2008 :  23:58:29  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thank you Hooded Lady,

I'm sure your characters suffered their share of scaldings/burnings and all sorts of horrific wounds, if you had your hair burned away from an area of the body did Ed make healing magic restore your hair to whatever length it was prior to destruction or were you all sometimes bald in various regions at times?
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2008 :  11:23:25  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
Many thanks Hooded One.

Recently a PC in my campaign decided that it was time to 'scratch an irritating lich'
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2008 :  11:24:56  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Thank you Hooded Lady,

I'm sure your characters suffered their share of scaldings/burnings and all sorts of horrific wounds, if you had your hair burned away from an area of the body did Ed make healing magic restore your hair to whatever length it was prior to destruction or were you all sometimes bald in various regions at times?

Would that depend on the region
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2008 :  13:54:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
It would indeed (you naughty, naughty lads; why, if this goes on, I'll have to be commanding some of you to whip me), but to answer the question seriously: Ed ran healing thus: tissue and skin completely restored, old air expelled as ash, new hair (in condition just as before, so if it was graying or going white, it still is) starts to grow immediately. The hair grows about an inch an hour, until it reaches the length it was before affected by the fire, with two exceptions: it stops growing immediately, ending the effects of the healing magic, if any other magic is cast directly on it or the body part it's growing from, or it is cut (sheared, trimmed) with "cold iron" (iron, steel, ferrous alloys). so much I can remember quite vividly. I think I'll leave the "quite vivid" part private until some scribe happens to ask a question that would 'legitimately' reveal it.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2008 :  14:13:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all!
A surprise reply from Ed just arrived in my inbox, referencing a question recently (page 12 of this year's thread) asked by Longtime Lurker:

Yes, Mirt has fathered almost a dozen children, most of whom he's aware of, and some of whom he has cordial relationships with (I don't mean that the others hate him, I mean that they are in distant countries and know little or nothing about him). At the moment, I shouldn't say more, future fiction planning being what it is.
Or to put it another way, the only Realms-related creator I should by tying down is the lovely THO. Ahem.

So saith Ed. Whom I'll answer: any time, dear. ANY time. Purrrrrrr....
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2008 :  19:11:02  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message

My THO, you are quite saucy these last couple days.
Which sauce type to you prefer: honey, chocolate, or
a fruit sauce?
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  01:05:48  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thank you Lady,

Thats great subtle lore, my players may take sometime to decipher why they have sporadic hair growth from time to time.

Ed I'm a longtime fan of Stephen R. Donaldson, have you read his Covenant series and are you a fan as well? What I truly enjoy about your writing is the humor you're able to inject in often dire situations, was this just a natural "style" for you or inspired by others? I was reflecting on how Donaldson's writing sometimes left me drained from the intense delving he's capable of into mortal and immortal despair and suffering, ohh and the fact I often have to refer to dictionary due to his choice of words.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  02:10:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Gaudle's Rod of Rings, page 107. Thanks!

The scepter in question is not a Gaudle's Rod of Rings. If you'd noted the passage clearly, the scepter allows use of all the rings on it at the same time, not just one. This Netherese scepter should be considered as a 'proto' magic item, that is, an original, usually more powerful version of magic items that are more common in the present-day Realms. As the history of magic in the Realms has shown time and again, many ideas regarding spells and items are just pared down equivalents of older, more complex magic.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  03:59:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring this swift reply from Ed:

Hi to all scribes. I'm sorry for my recent e-silences; I have family visiting at the moment, which today meant watching rainbow trout the size of small children being hauled out of an icy rivermouth in bright but arctic-frigid conditions with a fly rod (I was watching from the warmth of the car, not fishing) by, yes, a small child (and several dozen dressed-up-for-arctic-exploration adult fishermen who were NOT family).
This reply is for createvmind. Yes, humor is essential for me, in Realms and other writing; it's what humans balance against stress and rage and horror, and not including it makes my writing, in my opinion, not worth reading. thankfully, I can't seem to write, these days, without including it. :}
My favorite Donaldson work is DAUGHTER OF REGALS, which I re-read often for sheer pleasure, and highly recommend. I have, at various times, voted for it, the two Mordant's Need novels, and some of the Gap titles for various sf and fantasy awards (such as the World Fantasy Awards and the Nebulas), and Donaldson is a writer I always watch.
Right now, I must rush back to read something else, and write yet another project, neither of which I can speak publicly about, yet.
Let me just say this much: I am involved with something that you have just seen the first hints of (cough Blackstaff Tower cough), and boy, are Realms fiction fans in for some treats (yes, plural) in the future.
Must run, now; big family dinner (gathering of the farflung, some members meeting others for the first time ever) tomorrow.

So saith Ed, who will of necessity fall e-silent on that morrow. As for the rest of the weekend, he's not sure yet. It's packed, but if some spring lambs aren't born, one trip won't happen, and that may buy him a few moments to get online.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  04:07:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And to althen artren:
It depends on my mood - - and the fruit. I have, at various times in my life, been entirely unclad and covered in honey, melted chocolate, and crushed red wine grapes. The latter was the messiest and least sweet, the honey was a slippery disaster and TOO sweet (or so others who tried to, ah, lick me clean testified), and the chocolate sure got the sheets and the tub messy. However, a certain person involved in the latter cleanup said he very much preferred me "semi-sweet."
Take that as you will. HE did.
For the record, the honey bath was unintentional and work-related, the red wine was to help a friend make wine the traditional way (tramping), and the chocolate was for intimate fun (not my initial idea, but I was an enthusiastic participant). BTW, only those able to withstand pain should dabble in ice cream at from-the-freezer temperatures.
I hope this reply suffices . . . I can see a rather sticky road ahead, if it does not.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 24 Mar 2008 17:34:45
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  04:34:54  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message
Oh, my sweet Lady, I'm getting some rather tasty ideas! Keep them coming.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  05:54:27  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
A question again, Mr. Greenwood (and THO!!),

What sorts of off the wall situation have you come across in the heat of combative or social events? Anything ever happen simply because you decided to do something creative?

For instance, in a game just earlier this evening (and in the same fight), I punched a bison in the face and strangled a mutant with his own tentacles. It was pretty amazing.

All the best.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  14:29:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

And to althen artren:
It depends on my mood - - amd the fruit. I have, at various times in my life, been entirely unclad and covered in honey, melted chocolate, and crushed red wine grapes. The latter was the messiest and least sweet, the honey was a slippery disaster and TOO sweet (or so others who tried to, ah, lick me clean testified), and the chocolate sure got the sheets and the tub messy. However, a certain person involved in the latter cleanup said he very much preferred me "semi-sweet."
Take that as you will. HE did.
For the record, the honey bath was unintentional and work-related, the red wine was to help a friend make wine the traditional way (tramping), and the chocolate was for intimate fun (not my initial idea, but I was an enthusiastic participant). BTW, only those able to withstand pain should dabble in ice cream at from-the-freezer temperatures.
I hope this reply suffices . . . I can see a rather sticky road ahead, if it does not.
love to all,
THO

How does one unintentionally get naked and covered in honey at work?

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  18:39:09  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
I must second Sir Hamster on that question. In the course of your job, you have been both shot and covered with honey that others (plural, mind you) needed to lick off.

I initially thought you were in some type of law enforcement, like an investigator. I think that theory has been safely sent straight down to Avernus. Now I have no idea. I am almost, ALMOST, ......... nah, never mind.

Teaches me to ask non-related game questions.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  18:49:17  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Say it althen: you think she's a stripper right?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000