Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  01:01:45  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Here's another question to add to the pile. It sprung up from a discussion about Assassinations over on the WoTC FR boards.

Do the War Wizards and other groups who defend the Obarskyr's rely upon clerical divinations such as Commune to ask various gods if an attempt is going to be made on the monarch's life? If so, which gods would they contact, what exactly would they ask, who would they have asking it and how often would it occur?

Thanks in advance Ed.

Ah! but Commune need not be exclusively a divine spell... several prestige classes in 3.5 allow for an arcane caster to choose select spells from any spell list and add it to their repertoire (and vice-versa). Case in point: the Unseen Seer prestige class allows you to gain access to any one divination spell of a level equal to the highest you can cast or lower. A player in my campaign selected "Commune" even though he could cast 9th-level spells (and therefore, could have selected something of a higher level on the cleric or bard list; he still went with Commune 'cause it's too darn good).

There's also Limited Wish which can, I think, duplicate Commune (but I'd have to check on this one).

No matter how they access it, yes, I do believe the War Wizards rely HEAVILY on divinations of all kinds in the daily administration of the Forest Kingdom (Ed often speaks of "mind-reaming", some kind of magical interrogation technique employed by the War Wizards, for one...)

True that. I agree with all your points, but the specific thrust of my question was whether or not the War Wizards ask questions of the Gods (hence why I used the term clerical divinations, as clerics are the most likely to get good answers out of the gods) about possible future assassination attempts.

I think that asking the Gods about these things is a bit different to the rest of the divinations the War Wizards use. Which is why I asked Ed.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  01:27:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dalor_darden

Hello Ed and THO,

I was going to make an "Ask THO" thread...but it didn't pan out...sooooo....

Can THO be asked questions here...or do they have to relate to Ed?

People have asked THO questions in this thread before, especially since she, and Ed, have been answering questions in these threads for 4 years now almost, so I don't see why you couldn't ask her in this thread.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  02:21:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Hello Ed and THO,

I shifted your post to this scroll because, as Kuje notes above, questions asked to the Lady Hooded One have often been posted in this, Ed's, scroll. Plus, our lovely Lady Herald of Realmslore often chimes in on discussions and questions specifically asked to Ed, so it makes sense to keep both discussions for Ed and the Lady Hooded One, in the same scroll.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  02:41:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes, jacks and lasses fair . . .
[adopts deep voice, leans in close to purr]
Ask me ANYTHING.
[deep, shuddering moan]
Ahem.

love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 11 Mar 2008 02:42:20
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  03:01:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
This time I bring some brief words of Ed in response to Wooly Rupert’s Helmed Horror queries: “That of course got me wondering (especially since I've always loved helmed horrors). Is Aragus still around? What are its goals? How is it treated by the folk of Waterdeep? What is its legal status (as in, is it considered a citizen, and if not, what rights does it have?)? Can helmed horrors gain levels or class abilities? And lastly, are there other noteworthy independent helmed horrors out there?”
and:
“And as an addendum to my previous helmed horror questions... Can they be created without the use of a corpse and/or the Doom of Bane spell?”
Ed replies:

Hi, Wooly! Yes, Aragus is still around, but has “faked” its own destruction and is now keeping a low profile, with rooms it can hide out in, in both Dock Ward and North Ward, and using a hargaunt (see my current Knights trilogy of novels) to give it various lifelike “human face” masks.
Its goals remain mysterious (as in, both NDAs and my own unfolding campaign needs to remain silent apply). Most folk in Waterdeep consider Aragus to be “no more” (some Lords know better, but are keeping silent for their own reasons.
No, helmed horrors can’t gain levels or class abilities in the same way that PCs can. They CAN be augmented by wizards (and if playing 3e, insert applicable prestige classes here) of sufficient power and learning, so as to gain hit points, better attacks, particular abilities, etc.
Yes, there are other noteworthy Helmed Horrors active in the Realms right now (I have to check with certain mysterious WotC personages to see if some current NDAs prevent me from discussing two of the most famous/infamous, so I’ll return at some later date with more . . . or not).
And yes, there are several other methods of creating helmed horrors besides using a corpse or a Doom of Bane spell. Magic armor can be mated with a wraith (by means of the right sequence of spells), for one (and other undead can serve, to be “bound into” armor; even simple animated skeletons can be put into armor and spells used to create a crude facsimile of a helmed horror. Augmented battle horrors (the feather fall, dimension door, and magic missile-hurling variants, only “powered up” to do worse things) can be made by a variety of magical processes, and at least one priesthood (Gond’s) has been seeking to craft its own guardian helmed horrors through rituals and prayers (that is, divine magic only, with nary an arcane spell involved; BTW, they have done this thus far unsuccessfully).

So saith Ed.
And I’d like to add a personal postscript to dalor: certainly you can ask me things, and I’ll be quite happy to answer. I’ll probably post an answer to your question that Sage redirected here, tomorrow, but I must run now. The phone we nicknamed “the Bat Phone” years back is ringing, and that means urgent work . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  03:15:29  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Yes, jacks and lasses fair . . .
[adopts deep voice, leans in close to purr]
Ask me ANYTHING.
[deep, shuddering moan]
Ahem.

love,
THO
A smidge to the left, would you?

[The first, and hopefully last such outburst...]
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  03:28:18  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Hello Ed and THO,

I shifted your post to this scroll because, as Kuje notes above, questions asked to the Lady Hooded One have often been posted in this, Ed's, scroll. Plus, our lovely Lady Herald of Realmslore often chimes in on discussions and questions specifically asked to Ed, so it makes sense to keep both discussions for Ed and the Lady Hooded One, in the same scroll.

Many thanks!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  15:02:39  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
This is a comment I thought Ed would get a kick out of:

Reading a tribute to Mr. Gygax and read about him becoming religious and mentioning the idea of a creator mapping out the universe in advance. Then it came to me.

God is a Dungeon Master and we are all the PC in his game!

Just wanted to share this thought during this time after the death of one of Ed colleagues in gaming.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  15:28:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Reading a tribute to Mr. Gygax and read about him becoming religious and mentioning the idea of a creator mapping out the universe in advance. Then it came to me.

Just wanted to share this thought during this time after the death of one of Ed colleagues in gaming.

If that's the case, some of us rolled better than others.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  16:16:02  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

If that's the case, some of us rolled better than others.

If that is the case I got faulty dice! I demand a redo!!!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  20:13:36  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal
But it's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane.
quote:
My version, referencing Albert Einstein and Fredric Brown: 'He does now.'
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  21:05:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

If that is the case I got faulty dice! I demand a redo!!!

My initial roles weren't that bad, but lately I seem to miss all my Saves.

Lots of natural ones, too...

That reminds me of the old movie Time Bandits, where the 'Dwarves' had a map of the multiverse, because they helped God build it.

I need to rent that again...

"Don't touch THAT! It's EVIL!!!"

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Mar 2008 23:14:54
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  22:07:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal
But it's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane.

Wowsers... It's not often you can work a Rocky Horror reference in on a Realms forum!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2008 :  22:40:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer
My version, referencing Albert Einstein and Fredric Brown: 'He does now.'

HA!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2008 :  10:36:21  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message
Well met once again Ed and THO,

I have question that is really bugging me.

My 2nd Ed Faerun campaign set in 1362DR in the Dales and Moonsea, seems to have my PCs ending up in the Village of Glen in Mistledale quite alot.

I wonder whether you can reveal anything about the Dragon Egg trade mentioned there. I've come up with a reasonably plausible reason and ethical rationale why Dwarves trade in evil dragon eggs but it still bugs me.

Can you reveal how a peaceful and friendly community of dwarves can ethically sell evil dragons eggs to whoever has the coin? What reason would a good person have for buying an evil dragon egg?
Doesn't anyone with that kind of coin have half a brain and know that their expensive new pet is not just going to be grateful and become their best mate.. reminds of the story about the snake that the Indian told in Natural Born Killers.

It would be really great if you could help me out with this Ed but obviously I'll understand if you cant.

If you are reading this, thanks anyway.

Oh and I played some of your suggested music for Storm to my players a couple of times when they were in the Old Skull and they were most appreciative. Thanks for that.

Ex-A Land Far Away (ALFA) DM/Builder

Faerunian Canon Despot
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2008 :  14:37:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. I promised dalor_darden a response to his question, shifted to this thread by the esteemed Sage: “THO
In the very many years you have been playing D&D with Ed Greenwood, I'm sure you have come to know so much about HIS Forgotten Realms. You have also gathered quite a bit of influence on just what Ed's Forgotten Realms really is like...after all, it is the player(s) who make a world truly come alive at the gaming table...just as much as the DM. I'm not sure what all there may be that would prohibit you from answering questions about the "Real" Forgotten Realms, but I thought it would be nice to at least chat about and be able to ask questions about it all.
I guess I'll start!
When playing with a DM that is very detailed in his world, what for you was the most challenging aspect of continuous play in Ed's campaign?
Also, what was the first thing about Ed's campaign world that made you take a step back and say "Hey! That is AWESOME!"
Just a couple for right now...I don't want to spend time for an essay or anything because this might not even be the right place to do this...or may not be something that should be done at all!
Thanks for your time!”

So, here we go . . .

The most challenging aspect of playing in Ed’s campaign was that it was a big step closer to “real life” than most D&D play, in that EVERY deed done or word spoken has consequences. Just as in a real-world situation, if you happen to dislike a co-worker, you have to be mindful of how you behave toward them, because it isn’t “just a game where the NPCs are brainless, do-nothing cardboard cutouts.” Self-discipline trumps “Yahoo! Let’s KILL, baby!” self-indulgence, every time.
The first thing that made me think Ed’s Realms were awesome were the feeling that it was all really REAL, that hit me right away. All of Ed’s players roleplay (act, in character), there are multiple subplots going on constantly, Ed’s very good at describing the wind, weather, and what your character can see around him- or herself, all the time, taking care of what you smell, taste, feel . . . Ed’s world feels REAL, so your doings and triumphs do, too. You can drive home smiling like an idiot in satisfaction over finally holding a crooked tax official to justice, or tracking down a long-sought fragment of lore . . .
. . . and I have, countless times.

love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 12 Mar 2008 14:38:44
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2008 :  15:04:46  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Many thanks THO!

In truth I had expected very nearly those exact answers. My goal, as I said, was sort of a "chat about" things. It's good to hear that for so long you have been able to enjoy a quality game!

Now...if only Missoula Montana had such great players at hand, I could enjoy the same.

Wonder if I could pull that ol' James fellow into a game...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Nevorick
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2008 :  02:09:38  Show Profile  Visit Nevorick's Homepage Send Nevorick a Private Message
Lady Tho,

I would like to ask Ed for biographical information on the Cormyte warrior, Aunkspear. I am aware of the information found in VGtC. Could Ed share more with us regarding Aunkspear?

My thanks!

Nevorick

"What happens in Waterdeep, stays in Waterdeep."
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2008 :  11:44:36  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
I was wondering, Dear Hooded Lady, what word or words to describe the 'death' of undead creatures were/are used in Ed's games?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2008 :  14:54:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Ed returns from some days of silence due to being tearingly busy again, to impart a response to Thangorn’s query: “Well met once again Ed and THO, I have question that is really bugging me.
My 2nd Ed Faerun campaign set in 1362DR in the Dales and Moonsea, seems to have my PCs ending up in the Village of Glen in Mistledale quite alot.
I wonder whether you can reveal anything about the Dragon Egg trade mentioned there. I've come up with a reasonably plausible reason and ethical rationale why Dwarves trade in evil dragon eggs but it still bugs me.
Can you reveal how a peaceful and friendly community of dwarves can ethically sell evil dragons eggs to whoever has the coin? What reason would a good person have for buying an evil dragon egg?
Doesn't anyone with that kind of coin have half a brain and know that their expensive new pet is not just going to be grateful and become their best mate.. reminds of the story about the snake that the Indian told in Natural Born Killers.
It would be really great if you could help me out with this Ed but obviously I'll understand if you cant.
If you are reading this, thanks anyway.
Oh and I played some of your suggested music for Storm to my players a couple of times when they were in the Old Skull and they were most appreciative. Thanks for that.”
Ed replies:

You’re very welcome. I love using mood music (motif themes to wordlessly cue players, in particular; for anyone reading this who isn’t sure what I mean, consider the few bars from O Fortuna played in the foggy battle scene at the end of the movie Excalibur, just before the knights start to shout, “Lancelot! Lancelot is with us!”) during play, even though I seldom have the “setup” with me, these days.
As for the Dale trade: the primary reason is alchemy; to whit, the use of dragon egg components in spell ink formulae, potions (vitality and longevity in particular), spell castings, and even the preparations of enspelled food (think giant “dragon egg omelettes” and soups).
Sembia is bursting with money thanks to its mercantile successes, and like all “awash in new money everywhere” societies, folk who have the coin to pursue means (however crackpot) of becoming younger, stronger, more beautiful, or even cheating death itself, or of boasting of their exclusivity (“I dined on red dragon eggs this even, Fhaeruld; can you top THAT? Hmm?”) are doing so, energetically.
Moreover, all this money attracts wizards seriously seeking patronage to pursue their mastery of the Art (“certainly I’ll be your pet wizard and cast all of these daily spells for you and your household, so long as you fund my private researches, in the workshop you build for me, inside your walled mansion grounds”), and some of them are using dragon eggs in researches bent on attaining lichdom while keeping the lich’s body vigorous and seemingly alive, rather than the usual gruesome decay.
Many dwarves, coming from a so-long-dwindling culture that lamented their battle losses and low fertility, have a revulsion toward destroying probably-fertile eggs of any sort; yet they certainly don’t want evil dragons (a traditional foe, competing for the gold and gems they mine and prepare) to become more numerous. So, let someone else do the destroying, and profit thereby (and earning coin and “putting coin by” are also strong dwarven traits).
You might compare it to real-world people who eat supermarket meat but who would be revolted by doing their own beast-slaughtering, or (a better analogy) pay someone else to carry away their garbage and dispose of it, rather than sorting and processing their own garbage (very few of us grind down, melt, and resell our plastics or glass).
And yes, there ARE some Sembians who want dragons as pets: that is, gate-guardians (again, a status symbol) or as tamed aerial steeds. They anecdotally know such beasts rarely “work out” in such roles, but believe that (as they themselves are so special, and have money enough to hire the best trainers), such failures won’t happen to THEM.

So saith Ed. Who showed all of us Knights many, many instances of Sembian “fall over self in headlong rush of greed” excesses, down the years. Just when we’d start to think all Sembians were mad buffoons, he’d show us some of the really cunning, clearly-reasoning ones.
(Causing us to REALLY shiver.)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2008 :  20:39:00  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
Ed replies:As for the Dale trade: the primary reason is alchemy; to whit, the use of dragon egg components in spell ink formulae, potions (vitality and longevity in particular), spell castings, and even the preparations of enspelled food (think giant “dragon egg omelettes” and soups).
Sembia is bursting with money thanks to its mercantile successes, and like all “awash in new money everywhere” societies, folk who have the coin to pursue means (however crackpot) of becoming younger, stronger, more beautiful, or even cheating death itself, or of boasting of their exclusivity (“I dined on red dragon eggs this even, Fhaeruld; can you top THAT? Hmm?”) are doing so, energetically.
Moreover, all this money attracts wizards seriously seeking patronage to pursue their mastery of the Art (“certainly I’ll be your pet wizard and cast all of these daily spells for you and your household, so long as you fund my private researches, in the workshop you build for me, inside your walled mansion grounds”), and some of them are using dragon eggs in researches bent on attaining lichdom while keeping the lich’s body vigorous and seemingly alive, rather than the usual gruesome decay.
Many dwarves, coming from a so-long-dwindling culture that lamented their battle losses and low fertility, have a revulsion toward destroying probably-fertile eggs of any sort; yet they certainly don’t want evil dragons (a traditional foe, competing for the gold and gems they mine and prepare) to become more numerous. So, let someone else do the destroying, and profit thereby (and earning coin and “putting coin by” are also strong dwarven traits).
You might compare it to real-world people who eat supermarket meat but who would be revolted by doing their own beast-slaughtering, or (a better analogy) pay someone else to carry away their garbage and dispose of it, rather than sorting and processing their own garbage (very few of us grind down, melt, and resell our plastics or glass).
And yes, there ARE some Sembians who want dragons as pets: that is, gate-guardians (again, a status symbol) or as tamed aerial steeds. They anecdotally know such beasts rarely “work out” in such roles, but believe that (as they themselves are so special, and have money enough to hire the best trainers), such failures won’t happen to THEM.

So saith Ed. Who showed all of us Knights many, many instances of Sembian “fall over self in headlong rush of greed” excesses, down the years. Just when we’d start to think all Sembians were mad buffoons, he’d show us some of the really cunning, clearly-reasoning ones.
(Causing us to REALLY shiver.)
love to all,
THO

-Wow and in the 4E Realms the Shades CONQUER THAT!?!?!?

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 16 Mar 2008 20:40:55
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2008 :  00:01:17  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
I assume that good dragons, regardless of type who got wind of this would frown on such a practice and be ready through agents or what have you intervene if they discover possibly so-called good dragon eggs are being sold? Is the fact that a person is eating a "bad dragon' the thrill or just a dragon egg period?
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2008 :  08:25:42  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
I wonder if the Cormaerils are on the "most evil" list. Dun Dun Dun.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2008 :  12:22:12  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message
quote:
You’re very welcome. I love using mood music (motif themes to wordlessly cue players, in particular; for anyone reading this who isn’t sure what I mean, consider the few bars from O Fortuna played in the foggy battle scene at the end of the movie Excalibur, just before the knights start to shout, “Lancelot! Lancelot is with us!”) during play, even though I seldom have the “setup” with me, these days.
As for the Dale trade: the primary reason is alchemy; to whit, the use of dragon egg components in spell ink formulae, potions (vitality and longevity in particular), spell castings, and even the preparations of enspelled food (think giant “dragon egg omelettes” and soups).

Now that makes a lot more sense for the dwarves that I have in mind..

Thank you so much, thats a massive amount to work with..

I'm going to assume that some humans of merit know about the trade and traffic the eggs down in Sembia and beyond and turn a tidy profit while sending the dwarves their cut, or the dwarves deal with their own agents in Sembia..? That is to say, I assume the dwarves are trafficking the eggs through "relatively" reputable sources..?

I'm also wondering at the traffic from the other end. I assume human and dwarven buyers who seek out such eggs with the express purpose of buying these eggs so evil fellows/enchantresses/dragon cultists don't get their hands on them. I am now seeing that the dwarves dont actually sell dragon eggs, but break the eggs down into their most valuable component parts for sale..?

It seems this is a difficult one for others to resolve according to their own moralities aswell.. :)

Thanks for the response once again..

Faerunian Canon Despot
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2008 :  16:19:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

I wonder if the Cormaerils are on the "most evil" list. Dun Dun Dun.

I'd assume there aren't many human families where every single member is evil.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2008 :  20:15:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
The Mansons come to mind.

Also, those people in that 'Chainsaw' movie.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2008 :  21:36:03  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Thangorn
I'm also wondering at the traffic from the other end. I assume human and dwarven buyers who seek out such eggs with the express purpose of buying these eggs so evil fellows/enchantresses/dragon cultists don't get their hands on them. I am now seeing that the dwarves dont actually sell dragon eggs, but break the eggs down into their most valuable component parts for sale..?

Responding to the bolded section... Ed actually said this (bolding mine):

"Many dwarves, coming from a so-long-dwindling culture that lamented their battle losses and low fertility, have a revulsion toward destroying probably-fertile eggs of any sort; yet they certainly don’t want evil dragons (a traditional foe, competing for the gold and gems they mine and prepare) to become more numerous. So, let someone else do the destroying, and profit thereby (and earning coin and “putting coin by” are also strong dwarven traits)."

So, no. They let others do the destroying and sell whole eggs... At least that's how I read that paragraph.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2008 :  22:20:29  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message
quote:
quote:
"Many dwarves, coming from a so-long-dwindling culture that lamented their battle losses and low fertility, have a revulsion toward destroying probably-fertile eggs of any sort; yet they certainly don’t want evil dragons (a traditional foe, competing for the gold and gems they mine and prepare) to become more numerous. So, let someone else do the destroying, and profit thereby (and earning coin and “putting coin by” are also strong dwarven traits)."

So, no. They let others do the destroying and sell whole eggs... At least that's how I read that paragraph.

Seems I didnt read it properly. St Patricks day may or may not have had something to do with that :)

Thanks Zandilar

Faerunian Canon Despot
Go to Top of Page

Melgalian
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2008 :  23:31:59  Show Profile  Visit Melgalian's Homepage Send Melgalian a Private Message
Hail, my dear friends!

Let me introduce myself: my nickname is Melgalian, an elven name, and I'm a Brazilian Forgotten Realms fanboy (proudly!) --so forgive my poor english; it is the first time that I dare subscribing such a thing. I have played amazing campaigns in the Realms for many years and I read this 'n others realmslore forums (which I try enthusiastically to translate for appreciation of no-ranks-in-language-skill folk, but the task is very hard), and until now I have never cogitated to send a message¹. And my reason for doing this is, understandably, the fourth edition of D&D.

However, I am not here to hurl my indignations at you, neither to condemn anybody (though, if someone were to ask to me, I would be able to do both :P). I'm here to talk about the vast opportunities than reveal themselves before us, designers and writers! Do you not see? Like before, in classic times, the Realms become a beautiful tale closured in a crystal ball, immerse in a whirlwind of fire and chaos! A world that already changed, so much, and therefore is made of two magnificent histories: one, in formation process, goes ahead without a certain destination; the other one leads back, to the glory lost in the past --an unchangeable, but untold tale. What I see is the details never revealed and the longing storytellers to do that!

This doesn't mean we'll write a lot of books and will earn a lot of money. We won't.. This means we'll sit in a circle of friends and talk about myths, especially in these days where both (either chronicle or chronicler) are forgotten. And for the genuine pleasure of narration! No rules, no dices, no laptops. : )

Here, in Brazil, I "found" a unpretentious group of enthusiasts with a distinctive mission: record and tell stories about the old Forgotten Realms. We search masterpieces of lore, put them together and show the results to anyone interested. And when we don't have any information about the subject... well, it's time to tell our own tales! That group was named Harpers (yeah, yeah... SO original) and their Unfinished Campaigns. I expect it to be a genuine work, with the blessing of King Greenwood.

(Phew! This is becoming HUGE!) Finally, I still have MANY questions, but for reader's sake, I will make only a few of them:

1) No more than two lines (in a column!) telling about the castles built in Dessarin Valley for many people, like the elembarans, in circa 200 DR, known as Mlembryn lands. Have you, my dear friend, any more words about that?

2) Specifically in TGHotR, the Lord of Calandor, ruin of Delimbiyran, of Phalorm, of Elembar, of Tavaray, is mentioned only as "Lord (or Duke) of Calandor". Can you provide me with a brief lineage of this House? Where was Calandor located itself (the old one, before it was ruined in a battle of dragons)?

3) (And most important) It is said that illuskan people come from the West in circa -3100 DR and (re)settled Sonnmorndin of Haunghdannar, in Arauwurbarak (Ruathym). Although I like to think about how some habits of this people where inherited from dwarven vestiges (longbeard, axes 'n hammers, the alphabet itself), I want to know what myths and origins they carried with them. What sort of gods, beliefs and customs may have survived?

Enough... for today! ; )

Stay in peace, everyone.

Melgalian

¹ Because I'm a jurassic adept of the old method: letters! I love it!

PS: Biggest thanks for Hugo.

Edited by - Melgalian on 18 Mar 2008 14:06:18
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2008 :  00:04:24  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Melgalian,

Your english rocks, you look to make far less typos than I do and make more sense too hehe.

Welcome!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000