Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 My Christmas Green Ronin Bonanza
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2007 :  02:53:14  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Thanks to the sale on Paizo's site clearing out their Green Ronin 3rd and 3.5 stock, my wife bought me a ton of Green Ronin books, including The Book of Fiends, The Book of the Righteous, Bow and Blade, Corwyl, Wrath and Rage, The Witches Handbook, The Unholy Warrior's Handbook, The Avatar's Handbook, Fang and Fury, The Advanced Player's Manual, The Advanced Gamemaster's Guide, and The Advanced Bestiary.

I am so excited over this absolute glut of material, and I'll be brainstorming quite a bit of this for Realms inclusion as soon as I get more of a chance to delve into these a bit more.

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2007 :  02:54:32  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good haul sir! I got 5 books fromt he same deal myself and am enjoying them as well.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2007 :  14:15:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you made out well.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 27 Dec 2007 14:16:58
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2007 :  14:44:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always been curious about The Witches Handbook. What's it like Knight?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2007 :  03:37:26  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good Sage, Well Met,

I have personally purchased two copies of the Witch's handbook. One was *ahem* lost to accidental thievery, and the second was purchased during the sale.

The book itself lends to a lot of real-world traditions, but puts enough of a fantasy spin on it for it to be very much worth the purchase. Even without the Green Ronin sale, I would have picked up a second copy. It goes through a nicely designed (for 3.0) class, some feats and spells, as well as a great amount of information on tools of "the craft." As with all their master class supplements, Green Ronin added a few prestige classes that fit the theme fairly well, although YMMV on overall use.

I heartily enjoy the book, and would recommend it... even if you have to get two.

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2007 :  04:21:12  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To elaborate on what Darkmeer said, the witch class is an arcane caster that has better than average skill points per level, d4, spontaneous caster, familiar, and with an emphasis on enchantment, transmutation, illusion, and some healing spells and curses.

The healing ability is mainly cure spells and slow and remove poison. Its not a class geared towards heavy combat.

As Darkmeer mentioned, there are PrC for things like making the witch more of a nature priestess, as well as things like Infernal Witches, who make pacts with dark powers. Also, one of the PrCs in the book is Witch's Champion, which is a martial character that is devoted to protecting a witch and that gains morale bonuses from being near their witch.

The Witch's Champion PrC seemed like a good fit for a Rashemi bodyguard, and there is a section in the book on circle magic and rituals that I haven't really looked at quite as much yet.

Given that the witch isn't a combat oriented class, and given that we know healing magic isn't impossible with arcane magic in the Realms, just not as easy to accomplish, I don't think this class would be a bad fit for the Realms, as they basically trade off flashier spells for the ability to use some magic that other arcane casters (other than the bard) can pull off.
Go to Top of Page

Pasta Fzoul
Seeker

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2007 :  04:46:37  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

The Witch's Champion PrC seemed like a good fit for a Rashemi bodyguard

I'll admit, the first thing that sprang to my mind was Minsc
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2007 :  05:10:20  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasta Fzoul

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

The Witch's Champion PrC seemed like a good fit for a Rashemi bodyguard

I'll admit, the first thing that sprang to my mind was Minsc

Yeah, but you don't get a miniature giant space hamster as an animal companion as the class stands.
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2007 :  11:02:22  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMO, Advanced Bestiary would have to be just about the single best monster book for 3.xE. Book of Fiends is similarly an outstanding product.

I've also gotten good value for my campaign set in the Great Dale from ideas generated from Corwyl, Bow & Blade and Dezzavold (though it seems you don't have that last one).

Best
E
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000