Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Shieldmeet festival in Essembra, 1372 DR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  02:02:50  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I plan on starting a Dalelands campaign pretty soon and I hope to use the events of this great celebration as a starting point for the adventure.

Has anyone actually run this event? I plan on setting up some key events that may interest the party: a joust, sword duels, archery competitions, a foot race, a bardic competition, perhaps a mageduel or two? Most of these can be handled with skill checks (I suppose it'll be a Strength check for the foot race with things like base speed, and Feats [Run, Endurance] having an impact).

I'll also be putting to use the rules and information from Dragon Magazine #299 on jousting and melee festival events.

What events did you hold in your version of Shieldmeet? What were the rewards? Should I treat each event as an encounter of the partys average level and reward experience accordingly?

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  04:05:19  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Herr Doktor? That wasn't your TARDIS I saw outside, was it? (Yes, I saw your email address, I know you're not referring to that Doctor. )

Mageduels! I only read about them recently, and I love the concept. You have to have mageduels.

And don't forget that you can have other martial skills displayed, without resorting to any sort of fight. One of my favorites to use in a story is having a rider come along at a gallop and try to pick up a brass ring two inches in diameter with his lance.

You can also have trick riding competitions, and a ride-by archery contest. An obstacle course is always good, especially if there's climbing involved.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  04:36:11  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...interesting idea. Personally, I have never ran a Shieldmeet event for my group (or been a member of such an event), however I have done the Mage Fair two or three times. Nothing like a gathering of mages from all over the Realms in the spirit of knowledge, learning, and fireball throwing competitions. Now, as for Shieldmeet, a festival of this sort would indeed have various competitions of skill, all of them non-lethal and for the most part that do not involve causing intentional harm to another. Now, that doesn't mean you can't have contests of martial skill, just follow the lance idea Bookwyrm mentioned. Also, remember that there are contests of all kinds of skill, not only the melee and magical kinds. Contests of other skills, such as drinking for instance, would also likely be common in a festival like Shieldmeet (I love drinking contests). I'll continue to pontificate on this and get back to you with more input.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  10:17:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Herr Doktor, or should I call you Doctor Victor von Doom , maybe not. Unless that's where the name came from .

Anyway, you may wish to study the Elminster at the Mage Fair story in the anthology, Realms of Valor for a great depiction of how a mage fair plays out. Also, the game accessory Secrets of the Magister has some great written material and rulings for mage duels. As well as this I believe Magic of Faerun has some details as well.

As for everything else, Edain pretty much covered the basics.

May your learning be free and unfettered

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  10:39:43  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you look in his profile, it says that his email address is 'herrdoktorjones.' I draw the obvious (perhaps erroneous) conclusion that he's an Indiana Jones fan.

And I think that 'the' Mage Fair is a trifle over-powered for this. And besides, he's looking for physical contests primarily. And the best way to look for that is to take a look at each and every skill and feat and see about ways to make that a contest. Many would be obviously inapplicable, but there are some that would be entertaining, though not obvious right from the start.

For instance, how about a 'sage'-duel? A face-off of brains, answering questions -- that is, if you're not afraid of sounding like a gameshow rerun.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  11:00:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I can see your point Bookwyrm, I have to disagree with it.

The skills and feats involved in a Mage Fair mage-duel would make it just as valid a physical test, as it does mental. Spellcasters must be at the peak of their physical abilities as well as their mental skills, when performing any type of casting. And as Herr Doktor does say in his original post - a mageduel or two was an acceptable event to entertain his party.

Anyway,

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  11:09:26  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No no no, you missunderstand me. I did not say that mageduels were bad. In fact, I said the opposite. However, that's easy to do. He was looking, if I can tell correctly, for some innovative contests involving mundane abilities -- not magic -- to fill up the rest of the faire. After all, not everyone in the game's going to be a spellcaster!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  11:44:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If that's the case then your afore mentioned 'sage-duels', I think would be an interesting addition to the contests. I believe something like this would work great. There's even a listing of Realms sages in the 2e accessory Hall of Heroes, that he could use to populate the contest. The testing of Knowledge [any] skills would be something to see I think .

Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  15:47:47  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a 9th Lvl Fighter once that had his own keep south of Shadowdale, and to build up my coffers I hosted a Tournament and invited all manners of people from all over. I held the basic competition such as those that you listed already so I won't add more to that. What I can suggest is in way of rewards. I had a specific reward for each event.

Archery: Masterwork Bow and or Arrows
Jousting: (Think of the movie A Knights Tale)
Malee: Masterwork Wpn
Bardic: A medal that displays skills
Mage Dual: Nice Scroll case, empty spell book

Anysuch mundane nonpowerful reward would be nice. Even the typical 100 gold peices to the winner could work. I think the idea of competing for the prestige of fame that you could get afterward is a reward enough.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  21:50:30  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AraznBlair

Archery: Masterwork Bow and or Arrows
Jousting: (Think of the movie A Knights Tale)
Malee: Masterwork Wpn
Bardic: A medal that displays skills
Mage Dual: Nice Scroll case, empty spell book

Oh please please please DON'T think of A Knight's Tale, think of Prince Valiant or Ivanhoe. Knights tale was the most horrid medieval movie yet created. I can honestly say I HATED every moment of that movie. TERRIBLE movie, because it is loaded with FALSE information, TERRIBLE dialogue, and well it was just stooooopid.

I guess I am one of those Purists the movie was meant to annoy.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  05:52:39  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't worry, Mournblade, I agree with you. And I didn't even see it! It's more like A Night's Bore, and that's just from the previews. I admit that I'm prejudiced against some films from the start, but I think I have good reason.

Would it be too much to ask for an entertaining film to be at least a little consistant? "Armakiddin'" (as my professor likes to call it ) did try, but not nearly enough. And what about the oh-so-anticipated The Core -- or should I say "The Snore"? I felt like picketing that movie. Earthquakes do NOT originate from the center of the planet. The very idea is absurd.

Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  15:22:44  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was actually refering to the rewards that were recieved from the contests and how the tournaments were set up. Over all I did not care for the movie, come on the opening scene was a joust that had "We Will Rock You" from Queen and the fans were doing the wave,but the idea of a lowborn squire daring to break out of the social caste and become a knight does have its merits. The movie was just put together wrong.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare

Edited by - AraznBlair on 03 Jun 2003 15:23:48
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  21:55:52  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that was what the movie was deliberately designed to do. Essentially the formula is take one cherished historical concept + a midge of modern music, stir in some modern behavior, slang, ect., allow to simmer in the box office for a month or so, and bam! You have money. Now do not misinterpret this as me saying that I liked the movie (I walked out on it), but please never, never, never, never apply rational ideas and hsitorical facts to a movie, even if they are saying it's deliberately historically accurate, since I assure they will not be accurate. In all fairness, historical accuracy doesn't sell nearly as well as action and kick ass music (come on now, it may have been the wrong scene--movie rather to use "We Will Rock You", but that song is kick ass) and Hollywood is a business after all. <exhale> And, I'm done, for I have offcially derailed this topic, as is my life's sole ambition, to derail this topic. And no I do not actually have anything useful to contribute right now, so stop aiming that rifle at me.

Oh, by the way...Mad Props at Bookwyrm for Attaining the Title Senior Scribe (You Spend Waaaaaayyyyy too Much Time Here).

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General

Edited by - Edain Shadowstar on 03 Jun 2003 21:57:52
Go to Top of Page

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  22:30:47  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your suggestions, and the review of A Knight's Tale.

At yesterdays sessions I ran the Shieldmeet event, and it was quite fun. My group, who usually whine if the don't gain a level per session, were not at all upset that I rewarded only a tiny amount of experience for their participation in events.

The joust didn't really count for much, as none of the PCs had mounts or were any sort of knight. They participated in bardic competitions, one-on-one sword duels, multi-man melee, knife throwing competitions, archery competitions, drinking competitions, and even a Craft(pie-making) competition which the halfling rogue won and was quite pleased with his reward of a free pie per day for the next tenday from the local bakery.

It was a rather pleasant experience, and took up the entire session.

Edited by - Herr Doktor on 03 Jun 2003 22:31:56
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2003 :  00:31:21  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Don't worry, Mournblade, I agree with you. And I didn't even see it! It's more like A Night's Bore, and that's just from the previews. I admit that I'm prejudiced against some films from the start, but I think I have good reason.

Would it be too much to ask for an entertaining film to be at least a little consistant? "Armakiddin'" (as my professor likes to call it ) did try, but not nearly enough. And what about the oh-so-anticipated The Core -- or should I say "The Snore"? I felt like picketing that movie. Earthquakes do NOT originate from the center of the planet. The very idea is absurd.

HAH! I saw the preview for the CORE and LAUGHED!!! I KNEW I could not sit through a movie THAT scientifically challenged! I didn't even BOTHER seeing it because I KNOW IT STUNK. Don't tell me you never know until you try... YES I DO KNOW! THe core had nothing redeeming and would of done nothing but BOIL my blood to the core if I had actually seen it.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2003 :  02:42:46  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hollywood can take any concept and ruin it, D&D for example, and I had such high hopes when I heard they were making it. (Sorry if anyone actually liked that movie.)

Free pies, that's a creative prize, Herr Doktor.

How did you run the sword duels? padded blades? practice blades? first blood? I have never been part of or seen a fair such as this.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2003 :  06:35:43  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Edain, I do spend a lot of time here . . . . The longest break I've ever had between visits was five days, and that was during finals. I did pretty well, but &%$# that was a tough time.

A creative prize? Say rather, a creative contest! I'd never thought of that in a game! But I have to ask why your halfling player had skill points in pie-making. Or was it just cooking in general, and he happened to roll the best result?

Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2003 :  13:44:30  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
u have rules about the duels and everything in the blue first edition book for the master of u can get it, its the most interesting i found around. Like what, there are still some interesting things there.
the only duel there is not inside is the mage duel, but u can find find it the 3rd edition, as they said. I love how they made it, its really like Midnight would conceive it for me.
Go to Top of Page

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2003 :  20:40:49  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The PCs used wooden practice swords for the duels. They only had to land three touch attacks for victory though, so there was no skull-bashing involved.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000