Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Have the "uber" NPCs ever worried you?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Gustaveren
Learned Scribe

Denmark
197 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2012 :  19:09:09  Show Profile  Visit Gustaveren's Homepage Send Gustaveren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, i voted no since they have never been a problem for me.
I was tempted to vote yes since they have positively influenced some of my campaigns
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

618 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  20:08:57  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Forgotten Realms it's not a problem, but in planar campaigns I would lower the levels of most NPC's above CR 20.

Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  22:10:52  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In a planar campaign I think epic levels make more sense. How could you explore the Abyss if you're not super powerful? If I played a campaign to a high level I would expect to be planes walking.
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
716 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  05:37:15  Show Profile  Visit Razz's Homepage  Send Razz an AOL message Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never understood the reasoning behind not having uber NPCs in a game world. I find it completely ridiculous and unbelievable that a handful of PCs are the ONLY ones able to attain such power. There's always a "mighty wizard" or "legendary warrior" somewhere around the corner. Someone has to kick the ass of that great wyrm halfway across the world while the PCs are in their home kingdom taking down a lich and its minions.

DM has full control. In my Realms game, unless I need an NPC of such magnitude to keep a plot going, they stay out the picture. Either busy to themselves, plane-hopping, taking down some world threat deep in the Underdark, whatever. They have their own story going and my PCs have theirs. Simple as that.

Anyone complaining about uber NPCs just simply cannot control their own game it seems.
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

618 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  09:17:18  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

In a planar campaign I think epic levels make more sense. How could you explore the Abyss if you're not super powerful? If I played a campaign to a high level I would expect to be planes walking.

Yet balors are not epic. In Sigil, where is my campaign, you have two epic characters, Lothar of Bones and Zadara the Titan, and two near epic, factols Rowan and Pentar. There would be disbalance between the prime NPC's visiting, it's easier to lower their stats than increase the local high-ups when you're using Pathfinder, where level cap is 20.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2012 :  07:21:38  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that these characters are iconic and the Realms would be a much poorer place without them.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrel
Learned Scribe

150 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2012 :  15:58:25  Show Profile  Visit Kyrel's Homepage Send Kyrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To me it's a clear no. High power NPC's have never caused me any worry or problems. In my book characters like that are part of the tapestry that make up the world, and they help to make the setting come alive. They are not someone that the players are ever likely to meet in person. If I need someone to throw assignments at the PC's, I only on the very rarest of circumstances will use one of the super NPC's like the Chosen. There are plenty of alternative ways to throw jobs at the PC's that don't involve named NPC's like that.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1638 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2012 :  11:12:36  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't see what's so bad about powerful NPC. Yup, gods and their right-hand servants are the bigger fish. So are many others. Where's the problem?
Unless there's an unspoken assumption, e.g. that PCs are "supposed to" be the most powerful guys stomping around and saving the world again (noticed this strange notion repeatedly). In which case "OMG there are May Sues running over!" translates to the Honest simply as "my PC applied for Mary Sue job, but failed to get it". Which is rather lulzful as such, in my opinion.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000