Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Last Mythal Trilogy Review *SPOILERS*
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  05:33:02  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you couldn't hear the smiley when I was writing that, good grief. Rhin's pasted me 10 times a day for years now, and I've never had a cross word for her (none that I recall, anyway). Remarking on it is unprofessional? Okaaaay...

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

This was uncalled for, Rich.

Rino's post have never been unconstructive. If you don't like her remarks, be professional about it and ignore them, don't post a rude comment about it.

And I know you have been taking fire for a lot of things lately and you might be stressed out, but that's no excuse to post something like that.

Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  05:44:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardBaker

If you couldn't hear the smiley when I was writing that, good grief. Rhin's pasted me 10 times a day for years now, and I've never had a cross word for her (none that I recall, anyway). Remarking on it is unprofessional? Okaaaay...
Well, you could've used an emoticon, if you were offering this particular observation with some humor. It's often hard for others to judge these types of things online. Use of a smilie probably would've helped to prevent exactly this type of mis-interpretation.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Arkhaedun
Senior Scribe

869 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2007 :  05:47:32  Show Profile  Visit Arkhaedun's Homepage Send Arkhaedun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this topic is getting a little heated. We hate to do this, but we really need to take some time to sort all of this out. While this thread is closed, perhaps it would be a good time to look over the old Code of Conduct, take a deep breath, and try to remember our shared love of the setting.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2007 :  13:38:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mod Note::- I'm re-opening this scroll because this matter has now been addressed in private. Alaundo, the other Mods, Rich and myself now believe it is time to move on and get back to discussing the Realmslore.

Enjoy, and remember to play fair!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2007 :  14:56:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I'd like to add a note. Obviously, since Rich did draw inspiration from the events of 9/11, then it's something that can be discussed. But we need to do two things: make sure the discussion stays relevant to the topic, and we certainly need to exercise some care in discussing 9/11 -- it's a really sensitive topic, and we don't want to drag real world politics into it. If I start seeing real world political commentary coming in, I'll lock this thread again and we won't bother reopening it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2007 :  15:00:25  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think Mr Baker answered my question. I don't want to get into a discussion of real world events except in a most abstract manner. As in, how common is it to address RW debates or topics in DnD novels? I'd say it's pretty rare.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2007 :  15:20:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum

Yeah, I think Mr Baker answered my question. I don't want to get into a discussion of real world events except in a most abstract manner. As in, how common is it to address RW debates or topics in DnD novels? I'd say it's pretty rare.

I think in the case of specific events, it's probably rare, but needless to say most novels of any genre are going to touch on universal experiences. So, if a novel seems like it's touching on a current events topic, it might really be a case of addressing a more general issue of the human experience.

I hope that made sense.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2007 :  15:34:27  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I think in the case of specific events, it's probably rare, but needless to say most novels of any genre are going to touch on universal experiences. So, if a novel seems like it's touching on a current events topic, it might really be a case of addressing a more general issue of the human experience.

I hope that made sense.

Like that one book, can't remember which one, where the guy falls in love with the girl. The author stole that straight out of my life. I demand royalties.

Obviously Mr. Baker was inspired by a real world event that sparked a real world debate that dovetailed nicely into his novel. It was certainly a rare (thankfully) coincidence that he was able to exploit. However I do think that on occasion other writers have taken up current debates in society that I don't think I would classify as "universal to the human condition" but that's probably a topic for another thread.

Edited by - Ozzalum on 21 Dec 2007 15:36:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000