Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Spoiler: "Anauroch: The Empire of Shade"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2007 :  23:02:19  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So the Excerpts for "Anauroch: The Empire of Shade" were posted today. Going through the intro on page 5 there is something crazy!

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20071105a

*Spoiler*

"Intrigued by what the Sharrans have proposed, the Princes of Shade decided to let them create their most ambitious dead magic zone yet-right atop Anauroch, covering all but the fringes of the great desert. Fascinated by the zone and interested in expanding it, the shades decided to seek out more information on their own. In the course of doing so, they stumbled upon an intact set of the Nether Scrolls (just as Shar had intended all along)."

Wow! Apparently this full set of scrolls was just lying around, just wow.

Edit: Oh its just the beech tree, Quess Ar Teranthvar, under Windsong Tower.

Mod Edit: Add the URL.

Mod Edit 2: Moved to a more appropriate shelf.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Nov 2007 12:38:06

Aewrik
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2007 :  23:14:27  Show Profile Send Aewrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. I sure could go with an "ambitious dad" magic zone : )

I haven't read through Shadowdale yet, but is this entire campaign arc about dead magic zones?
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2007 :  23:15:29  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who is "them", BTW? That is, the "stumblers".

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  01:50:46  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops hehe trying to copy things over while multitasking leads to these kinds of problems. Added a clarification and fixed the dad to dead.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  01:57:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*bangs her head against the wall upon reading the Chapter 2 synopsis*

Is nothing sacred?

I see agents of the Shadovar are searching for The Leaves of One Night. Wasn't that tome accounted for in the Twilight War trilogy?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  01:59:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Who is "them", BTW? That is, the "stumblers".

The shades, who were inspired by a bunch of Sharrans.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  02:13:31  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Is nothing sacred?

I see agents of the Shadovar are searching for The Leaves of One Night. Wasn't that tome accounted for in the Twilight War trilogy?

Well (Spoiler for the Twilight War):

Maybe when Elyril unleashed the Audumbral Calyx into Toril, the Leaves of One Night were lost again. We didn't see much of an aftermath.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  02:25:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:

Is nothing sacred?

Oh yeah. Forgot that part.

Well (Spoiler for the Twilight War):

Maybe when Elyril unleashed the Audumbral Calyx into Toril, the Leaves of One Night were lost again. We didn't see much of an aftermath.

Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  08:11:38  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't think The Leaves of One Night actually makes an appearance. I read the introduction as implying that the book made it's way back to the Fane of Shadows, which is where a certain butler fom Westgate found it.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  08:29:12  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am wondering: Is this adventure and the entire adventure trilogy actually going to be canon lore?

I thought there was going to be no official explanation for the changes in 4th Ed....

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  10:08:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

I am wondering: Is this adventure and the entire adventure trilogy actually going to be canon lore?

I thought there was going to be no official explanation for the changes in 4th Ed....

Yes, it's canon. And the point of the Spellplague is to explain the changes.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  18:19:22  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find interesting that finally they developed a plot about the nether scrolls of the Windsong Tower.

I, as DM, already have created my tales about these scrolls, and I want to take a look to see what WoTC made about this.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  02:20:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brenigin

quote:

I don't think The Leaves of One Night actually makes an appearance. I read the introduction as implying that the book made it's way back to the Fane of Shadows, which is where a certain butler fom Westgate found it.

Yes and no (highlight for spoiler): Cale had half of it. Rivalen had the other half. Events in book 2 cause the book to be put back together by Elyril for the purpose of summoning the Shadowstorm.

Also, this adventure takes place after all of the current Cale novels.

Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  05:19:24  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah - haven't got my hands on Shadowstorm yet (but have read every spoiler available!) Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  17:01:59  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brenigin

Ah - haven't got my hands on Shadowstorm yet (but have read every spoiler available!) Thanks.

You're welcome.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  22:43:22  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I have my copy of Anauroch: Empire of Shade.

I have briefly looked it over and I have to say that out of the three in the series, I like this one the best.

The information contained would allow adventures totally un-related to the adventure itself to be run, so it has some measure of worth beyond the adventure it is profiling.

I am a bit disappointed by it at the same time though...the sheer number of artifacts introduced in the module will make it a nightmare to have them removed from a party once they get their hands on them.

I'll go into details later...just thought I would start a conversation about it.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  02:48:21  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dalor_darden

I am a bit disappointed by it at the same time though...the sheer number of artifacts introduced in the module will make it a nightmare to have them removed from a party once they get their hands on them.

Are these artifacts that the PCs shouldn't be able to keep?

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  03:21:35  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Are these artifacts that the PCs shouldn't be able to keep?

Well, one (called the Shadow Engine) allows a user of the Weave to cast spells as if they were Shadow Weave users...and at +2 to their effective caster level and +2 to the DC of those spells!

The one that I feel is most dangerous is "The Book of Black" that allows the wielder to learn the innermost secrets of Shar herself! The book is cursed by Shar and difficult to decipher; but an adequate level caster could essentially learn things they SHOULDN'T know...

Yet another artifact called the Chalice of Amaunator is both one of the most potent weapons imaginable against Shadow Weave magic (capable of using Mordenkainen's Disjunction on Shadow Magic effects and items...including artifacts) but is also capable of travel to the House of the Triad and other powerful effects.

There are other artifacts...but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

It is a really good adventure...but I didn't see where (so far in my reading) there is an opportunity to get these artifacts out of the hands of the players.

I'm sure it can be done...but the Shadow Engine in particular is worrisome to me. Convincing anyone in the party to use the Chalice on the Engine would be like telling them to cast Mordenkainen's Disjunction on their Staff of the Magi just because it happens to have been created by an evil wizard. There are no "evil" side effects to any of these potent items that would make a party want to be rid of them.

This is just an initial rant though...I could be proven wrong by further reading.

Over all: Great adventure...troublesome aftermath resulting from at least a half dozen artifacts floating around.

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  10:48:10  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm sure it can be done...but the Shadow Engine in particular is worrisome to me. Convincing anyone in the party to use the Chalice on the Engine would be like telling them to cast Mordenkainen's Disjunction on their Staff of the Magi just because it happens to have been created by an evil wizard. There are no "evil" side effects to any of these potent items that would make a party want to be rid of them.

This is just an initial rant though...I could be proven wrong by further reading.

Over all: Great adventure...troublesome aftermath resulting from at least a half dozen artifacts floating around.

The short answer is to invent something. If these are true artifacts in the traditional D&D sense of the word, they should have some kind of drawback or risk to them. Think Heward's Mystical Organ, Deck of Many Things, Vecna's Anatomy etc.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  11:08:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

Vecna's Anatomy etc.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  16:37:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just called my FLGS. The book is in. The problem: My coworkers and I always go out to lunch on Tuesdays... I may have to make one of them drive, so I can swing by and grab the book!

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  17:56:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy crap, those are powerful items.

I agree that it might be a good idea to tweak them a bit and give them drawbacks. And, maybe give them the tendency to attract other beings who might want them...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  18:26:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My coworkers were cool enough to agree to leave the restaurant a bit early. I figured they'd go in one of their cars, but since I got the new(er) wheels, my car seems to be the default lunch vehicle.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  19:14:10  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I the only one who thinks that Shar has been far too succesful of late? Time for her to get knocked down a peg or two, in my opinion.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  20:17:53  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is an example artifact from the module:

Book of the Black
Price: Major Artifact
Body Slot: n/a
Caster Level: 20th
Aura: Strong; (DC 21) divination
Activation: See Text
Weight: 1 lb.

The secret work of The Lost Sage, Augathra the Mad, this book holds the legendary Black Chronology, written while she originally composed the Roll of the Years.

This large tome is rather nondescript. The pages are a sturdy vellum stained and weathered by long years. The writing on them, however, is completely unintelligible, thwarting all attempts at translation.

Like the Leaves of One Night, Shar cursed the Book of the Black to be illegible to anyone of her choosing. it cannot be freely translated by any magical means, even wish. A successful DC 45 Decipher Script check (translation magic provides a +1 competence bonus per spell level up to +9 for a wish or miracle) enables the reader to translate a single quatrain of the work. A spell can only be used to assist in the translation of one quatrain at a time.

Each time a quatrain is translated, the reader gains disturbing insights into the mutiverse. These cannot be copied down or articulated to another. Each time this occurs, the reader gains a +1 insight bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, skill checks, ability rolls, and saving throws for 24 hours, after which the knowledge fades. The bonus increases to +5 for Knowledge and Gather Information checks and bardic knowledge checks. Also during this time, the reader gains a +5 insight bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls, and a +2 to his caster level against shadow adepts and followers of Shar. Such individuals automatically recognize and attack the reader on sight during this time period.

The effects from multiple quatrains do not stack, but the effect can be renewed each time another quatrain is translated.

Lore: Characters who have ranks in Gather Information, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (history) or Knowledge (religion) can research the Book of the Black to learn more about it. When a character makes a successful check, the following lore is revealed, including information from lower DCs.

Arcana or History DC 25: While Augathra the Mad received her visions and penned the Roll of the Years - the written standard for prophecy and the naming of the years for an age to come - at night she received visions of a Black Chronology woven between the years and recorded them in her sleep in a tome called the Book of the Black.

Religion DC 30, Gather Information DC 35, Arcana DC 35, or History DC 35: The Book of the Black was discovered by the Dark Diviners of Windsong Tower in 684 DR. They discovered secrets within that they recorded in their own derivative work called the Leaves of One Night, but both works fell under a curse of illegibility and then disappeared shortly thereafter.

Religion DC 30 or Arcana DC 45: The secrets of the Black Chronology revealed in the tome are what drove Augathra to madness, and, ultimately, what would not let her die. it is said that the secrets within came from the mind o the goddess Shar and spoke of terrible things to come. It was she who cursed the book and caused it to disappear. Those with access tot he work could learn the innermost secrets of the Dark Goddess.

Prerequisites: Major Artifact.
Cost to Create: Major Artifact.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I know that lower level characters really can't even benefit from this book...but the party in question going through Anauroch could potentially tap some seriously dangerous information with this book. Game mechanics wise it is limited and not overly dangerous...but they should NOT (in my opinion) have included that last sentence in there!

"Those with access to the work could learn the innermost secrets of the Dark Goddess."

Sounds dangerous to me!

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  20:57:25  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Am I the only one who thinks that Shar has been far too succesful of late? Time for her to get knocked down a peg or two, in my opinion.

Shar... and Lolth (War of the Spider Queen)... and Bane (the return)...

Holy gods! Faerūn really need of heroes...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  21:50:03  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

quote:

Shar... and Lolth (War of the Spider Queen)... and Bane (the return)...

Holy gods! Faerūn really need of heroes...

Or a bunch of deities not afraid to be a little "bad" for a change...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  23:36:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Am I the only one who thinks that Shar has been far too succesful of late?

Certainly not!

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  00:22:24  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Am I the only one who thinks that Shar has been far too succesful of late?

Certainly not!

I, too, would like to see her stepping off the "spotlight" for a change. To me it seems that there are no other scheming evil deities in Faerūn anymore, because Shar and her followers are involved in every novel and adventure.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  06:45:16  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't actually bought it, but I did skim it heavily at Borders today, and can speak a little about the problem of the artifacts.

First, I don't think Book of the Black is that great. The effects don't last very long, and if your DM doesn't drive you insane after reading it a lot, he's not doing his job properly. Also, there's a chance you give it away to Candlekeep to find out how to find the Teraseer.

Shadow Engine is great, just one problem (well, two actually): 1: it's got a sharn trapped inside, and the sharn's made up of Aglaura, some random Myth Drannan wizard, and a phaerimm. Hang onto it too long and they wake up again. 2: The Teraseer demands it as payment for taking you to the Tomb Tapper's Tomb. So that's gone.

The chalice is great, no doubt, but don't forget that its deadliest ability can only be used once a month, and is required to finish the adventure. So fun as it might be to play at baptising Lord Shadow in it, or whatever, you're going to have to resist.

Personally, I'm glad the party I'm DM'ing (just after Shade reappears) includes a spellfire wielder with a bone to pick with Shar. You should have seen the player's face light up when his character found out how spellfire interacts with shadow magic (including, let's say, a certain shadow mythal).

Nip all this stupidity in the bud.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 14 Nov 2007 06:46:05
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  06:50:45  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha
The Teraseer demands it as payment for taking you to the Tomb Tapper's Tomb. So that's gone.

What happens in there ?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000