Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Gnomes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2003 :  14:35:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Here's those gnome stats I promised a while back.

Please be aware that the main reason these stats exist is to fufill a player request to bring a 'tinker-gnome' flavor to the FR.

Here's what I have so far -

Gnomes (Tinkerers in FR)

• +2 Int, -2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Wis
  • Small Size: +1 AC and +1 to Hit +4 to Hide checks
  • +2 racial bonus to Disable Device, Open Lock, Alchemy, to any Craft, Knowledge, and Profession checks
  • All Craft skills, and all Knowledge and Profession skills that involving mechanics are always considered to be class skills
  • +2 Reflex saving throws
  • Darkvision 60 feet
  • Proficiencies: Crossbows and other mechanical devices
  • Favored Class: Tinkerer or Rogue

Let me known what you think. I have mixed feelings about adding Tinker gnomes to my FR game, but I thought it would be interesting to at least create some stats and see whether they were any good.

Special Note: The Tinkerer class will be detailed soon. I still haven't finished adapting the class from the DL setting yet.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2003 :  21:17:09  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not bad, not bad, but one thing: shouldn't this come with like a +1 ECL or something? Possibly even a +2? It seems like a lot of extra class skills and stat bonuses to mot come with at least a little experience penalty. Beyond that, the only thing that seems out of place is the wisdom penatly, what was you reasoning for that? The Gnomes hardly seem to be an overly foolish or common sense-lacking people. Now, I surmise this was likely to balance out for the other bonuses, but perhaps a constitution penatly might be a better choice, in my opinion, of course.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  07:59:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for picking that up Edain. Once again I forgot to add an ECL, just like the minotaurs stats I created. Anyway for all intents and purposes these gnomes operate as ECL +1, although due to some refinements I have been conducting here, I may soon change that to ECL +2.

As for the wisdom penaltly. The player wished these gnomes to represent the DL tinker gnomes lack of foresight, and poor judgment when it came to building things than would more often than not break down, or explode. I simply felt that a lack of good judgement (being wisdom) would reflect that.

But as I said, I am currently reworking the stats, so I will see how it goes.

Thanks,

Good learning...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  08:35:27  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the wisdom penalty; it made sense to me right from the start. As for the ECL, I think that as it stands a +1 is just right. We'll see if that changes with your other adjustments.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  08:39:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should have some new adjustments and stats by next week Bookwyrm, so check back then.

And thanks for the comments, I appreciate them .

May your learning be free and unfettered

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2003 :  04:01:02  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I see where you are going with this. While I still stand by my opinion on the wisdom, you do make a certain sense. And yeah, +1 sounds about right, they aren't nearly as overpowering as Drow or Deep Gnomes or anything like that, they just have a bit of an edge. Look forward to your updates. And remember those ECLs.

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2003 :  07:06:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Edain, I have a few more modified stats for the FR races coming, so I appreciate anyone who takes the time to study and comment on them.

Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  11:48:04  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, im not sure it has to get an ECL +1 since its all balanced like the regular gnome, isn't it?
Or u may just add something else to get this +1. Something the gnomes have, u know innate spells or something like that.
What do u think?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  12:03:08  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She has a point about the spells. But I think it's a +1 as it stands. It seems pretty powerfull as far as intellect is concerned.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  12:11:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The innate spells are only really relevant for the gnome racial traits if the favored class was an Illusionist. I have tried to do away with that, instead making the gnome more in line with how I actually see them. I prefer the 'Tinkerer' gnome aspect rather than the Illusionist. To me it has never seemed quite 'right'.

Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  12:35:25  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and do u think that sun elf should have ECL +1 since they have also a +2 in intelligence and have mage as a prestige class still? And these gnomes have a-2 in wisdom which is for me a big matter to deal with.

Yep, so mayb give them something else, i don't know what, have no idea yet.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  12:37:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't talking about the abilities. I was talking about the skills.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  12:40:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tinkerer gnomes are often known for their absent-minded nature, and I chose to represent this with a wisdom penalty. As for the ECL +1 for Sun Elves, well no, since elves are regarded naturally as a highly intelligent species.

Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  13:37:02  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yep, i stil think a -2 in wisdom is a good idea. Its not the point, i mean that if u compare u race with an aasimar, the coice is quickly done. U don't get any bonus eventually with ur gnome, u see, whereas aasimars get a +4 total, plus their special abilities. Its just why i think its still not enough to make a level lost.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  14:00:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your suggestions seem valid eilinel. I'll take them under consideration while I revise these stats.

I am also working on some elven stats as well.

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  22:38:14  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really disagree with Eilinel here. If you look at the entire Gnome, not just the ability scores it's pretty potent. I mean, alone the ability score bonuses and penalties are okay, but the skill bonuses and additional class skills are a pretty powerful addition. Without them the ECL +1 may be too much, but with them it's good. A +2 would be overpowering though, so as is it seems to work okay, at least to me. I might just play test it if I have time to prove it.

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2003 :  07:22:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you do, Edain be sure to let me know of the results, as I will not have the opportunity to play-test the racial stats for several more weeks yet. I am curious to know how they would operate in an actual game environment.

Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  14:47:09  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
compared with a regular gnome, there is nothing really new but the fact that u add +2 in a lot of skills but u have not the magical bonus that the speak with animals and the several spells give u, so...
i know that this gnome is more potent than the regular one but not enough for me to lose a level... u see my point?
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  01:43:58  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the regular Gnome, or Rock Gnome, does not benefit from any special abilities or statistic bonuses. The only Gnomes with the special abilities you described, Eilinel, are Forest Gnomes, who come with a ECL +1. This Gnome is much more potent than the regular Gnome (or Rock Gnome), who carries no inherant bonuses, not even a minor stat. bonus/penatly like Elves. As such I maintain the logic behind the ECL +1.

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  06:39:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am currently working on an alternative to the ECL system. I am not happy with the way it affects so greatly, PC's at lower levels. Although I understand the reason for it, I still have some qualms with it. What this means is, according to my new workings, the gnome stat'd here may no longer be ECL +1.

I still have some tinkering to do with the system, so I let you all know what happens.

Good learning...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  06:43:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about making it an XP penalty, like with multiclassing? I don't really know how much that would affect things, or if it would be any better, but it's something I've been thinking about.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  06:59:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually Bookwyrm, that's not a bad idea. And the good thing about this idea is that it won't upset much of anything else. I think they did something like this back in 1e. I'll have to check my 1e PHB, and DMG.

May all your learning be free and unfettered

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000