Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Most dangerous places in the realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  00:27:52  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What would you guys say are the most dangerous "locations" in the realms? Please name specifically unclaimed or "wild" areas.

Pharaun Mizzrym
Acolyte

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  00:31:39  Show Profile  Visit Pharaun Mizzrym's Homepage Send Pharaun Mizzrym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thay, maybe Icewind Dale in terms of natural dangers
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  00:36:20  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Undermountain!

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  00:39:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The most dangerous place in the Realms? Between Azoun IV and a woman willing to bed him!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  01:34:09  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Standing on a dragon's hoard, saying: "My, that's a nice coronet," just as the dragon decides it feels like having some grilled meat.

Or Undermountain.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  02:42:48  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For natural dangers, I'm voting the Raurin Desert/Plains of Purple Dust. It has most of the dangers the Anauroch has, plus dust storms of the titular purple dust (sandstone with manganese for color) that last days and suffocate people in them, and then more unfriendly fauna than any other place I can think of: human nomads, lizardfolk, cloud rays, purple worms, at four types of dragons (blue, sand, brown, and rattelyr). Toss in the Dustwall, Giant's Belt, and other border mountain ranges, and you get more dragons (red, silver, deep, copper, fang), a plethora of giants (athach, cloud, cyclops, eldritch, fire, hill, stone, sand, storm), rocs, perytons, wyverns, and yrthaks.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  02:57:29  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The backlands, because not many knows that the entire region is a serpent's nest.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  08:34:23  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anauroch or even worse, Anaurochs underdark. There is of course places such as Larlochs crypt and Undermountain also, along with numerous other individual dwellings and lairs.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  09:08:54  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Underdark in general. No food, no water, no certain ways, no light and lots of creepy and very hungry monsters ...

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  15:51:16  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

The Underdark in general. No food, no water, no certain ways, no light and lots of creepy and very hungry monsters ...

...who can see in the dark!

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  16:08:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, the Underdark, although Icewind Dale is up there too--it must get really, really cold!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 02 Nov 2007 16:08:53
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  16:10:25  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
most certainly Underdark

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  17:15:00  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Underdark, Thay, Halaster“s Halls, Larloch Crypt, Myth Drannor pre-Last Mythal, and the jungles of Chult (hungry T-Rex are nice things...) :P

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  17:47:03  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Underdark barnone. icewind dale second,backlands.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  21:12:18  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats simple, the Simbuls bedroom. Who know what will happen to you in there.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  21:55:35  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always thought that the Dragonspine Mts north of the Moonsea are one of the most dangerous areas. Filled as it is with humanoids, connections to the underdark, Zhentarim operations and of course dragons.

I'm sure there are more hostile places...but operating from Phlan or some such place, it quickly turns hostile in those mountains.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2007 :  23:43:19  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Within 15 ft of any of the Chosen of Mystra.

Within 30 of a very hungry terrasque.

Edited by - althen artren on 02 Nov 2007 23:45:18
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2007 :  14:16:04  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Deep Underdark, without a doubt. The upper reaches of the Underdark are nothing compared to the bottom...

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2007 :  15:19:26  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

For natural dangers, I'm voting the Raurin Desert/Plains of Purple Dust. It has most of the dangers the Anauroch has, plus dust storms of the titular purple dust (sandstone with manganese for color) that last days and suffocate people in them, and then more unfriendly fauna than any other place I can think of: human nomads, lizardfolk, cloud rays, purple worms, at four types of dragons (blue, sand, brown, and rattelyr). Toss in the Dustwall, Giant's Belt, and other border mountain ranges, and you get more dragons (red, silver, deep, copper, fang), a plethora of giants (athach, cloud, cyclops, eldritch, fire, hill, stone, sand, storm), rocs, perytons, wyverns, and yrthaks.

oO
Wow!

My next human Turami nomad ranger is going to be one though git, hailing from the Plains of Purle Dust.

Personally I'd stay 10 miles clear of any temple of Talona.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2007 :  00:39:55  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Candlekeep when Big Al realises that we have stolen some more of his wine and 'borrowed' the dancing girls again.

Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2007 :  00:42:52  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valdar Oakensong

Candlekeep when Big Al realises that we have stolen some more of his wine and 'borrowed' the dancing girls again.

Excellent, Valdar

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2007 :  01:02:00  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of support for Icewind Dale, but wouldn't the Spine of the World be worse?

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

sparhawk42
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2007 :  02:21:05  Show Profile  Visit sparhawk42's Homepage Send sparhawk42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel that the almost anywhere in the realms can be a dangerous place for anyone to live or play. Dark danger and hidden evils seem to fill the world (not to say there aren't bastions of good throughout Faerun). This is part of the reason I don't understand the need to add the whole "Points of Light" thing to the realms, its plenty dangerous as it is. Which to me, is a good thing, after all our characters have to have something to do when they aren't getting drunk in the local tavern.
Anyway if I had to vote I think I'll say the entirety of Thay.

You never fail until you stop trying.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2007 :  04:45:44  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The most dangerous place in the Realms? Between Azoun IV and a woman willing to bed him!

Nice one Wooly.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2007 :  04:49:27  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Undermountain, the Great Glacier, the Jungles of Chult... of course if you ask my players, anywhere I am running .

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2007 :  06:26:50  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's that "kingdom of monsters" in the Shining South? Veldorn or something like that. Anyways, the monsters there band together to keep from being driven out.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2007 :  10:54:00  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Underdark. . .

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2007 :  11:58:33  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
within 30 ft. of two Manshoon's doing the Manshoon wars :p

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2007 :  12:04:13  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to say the Underdark... and also the Underdark...and, oh yeah, did I mention the Underdark?

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2007 :  14:59:09  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The most dangerous place in Faerun... anywhere in the company of a group of adventurers...
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  04:18:02  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
storm silverhand's bedroom

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000