Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What order to read and what more to buy!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2007 :  05:50:25  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello there...I have approximately 65 Forgotten Realms books, I've bought about 30 in addition to the 35 or so that my mom already had.

My collection consists of:
-Pools Trilogy [Already Read]
-Finder's Stone Trilogy + Masquerades [Read 2nd]
-Shandril's Saga [Read 3rd]

I have these still unread...
-The Avatar Series
-Elminster Series
-Cormyr Saga
-Sembia Series
-Moonshae Trilogy
-Druidhome Trilogy
-Empires Trilogy
-Maztica Trilogy
-The Cleric Quintet
-The Sellswords
-Dark Elf Trilogy
-Icewind Dale Trilogy
-Legacy of the Drow
-Paths of Darkness
-The Hunter's Blades

1). What order should I read these in? Any series that I SHOULD read before another? (I was planning on reading all the Drizzt books last...since there are so many, but when I get to them...what order?)

2). What else should I add to my collection? Missing any essential series/books or some really good ones? recommendations etc...I'm willing to buy them online if they are older books and for now I'd prefer to stay away from the short story compliations.

THANKS in advance for your insight!! I've just recently started getting hooked on the realms books so I'm hoping someday I'll have read them all!

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2007 :  06:47:26  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The whole Harper series would be my first choice here. The giant series have their moments. Azure Bonds is great, as are several of the short stories collections. Blackstaff deserves a mention also.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2007 :  14:17:42  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Avatar series is a good place IMO. Multiple realms locales and a RSE. Get the Erevis Cale series also.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2007 :  15:53:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about the Songs and Swords series, by Elaine Cunningham? Obviously, if you are reading a trilogy or other set of books, you'll likely want to read those books in order, but beyond that, I don't think it matters what order you read the books in.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2007 :  19:27:50  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input guys; :) I can use all the suggestions you guys are willing to give!

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2007 :  19:44:25  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, with the exception of the Drizzt books, the Sembia books and its continuations, and a couple of the Harper books (most of the Song and Sword series were originally in the Harper series)it matters little what order you read them.

As to what to read next; just begin with the books that tempt you the most, there is no set answer to that one.
Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2007 :  01:28:30  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Drizzt books are the dark elf trilogy,Icewind dale,the legacy,pathes of darkness,hunters blade trilogy,than the orc king(new).The rest really are just read in trilogy order if there not satnd alone novels like the fighters series,wizards series,dungeons series,rouges series. ect.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

Go to Top of Page

Vexxan
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2007 :  09:18:49  Show Profile  Visit Vexxan's Homepage Send Vexxan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd also recommend adding the Erevis Cale trilogy to the collection. Give the Sembia series a shot, in order, and if the exploits of Cale intrigue you in the least, the trilogy will not let you down. Sembia is a great series in and of itself.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2007 :  23:06:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second the Erevis Cale series recommendation. For what it's worth, I thought it was much better than the Sembia series.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2007 :  18:24:23  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, hopefully one of the 3 book stores I shop at will have the Erevis Cale series! :)

Go to Top of Page

eldritchknight
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2007 :  21:17:54  Show Profile  Visit eldritchknight's Homepage Send eldritchknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also recomend both the Erivis Cale Trilogy, it's sequel, The Twilight War Trilogy (3rd book of the Twilight War is out next year), as well as Elaine Cunninigham's Song and Swords series.

Also, while I haven't read them yet, I hear that Ed Greenwood's Knights of Myth Drannor is a good trilogy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000