Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Erevis Cale Series Question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  23:47:51  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Quick question for you all. I've got Shadowbred, and I've ordered Shadowstorm. But I've so far not read either the Erevis Cale trilogy or the Erevis Cale novel in the Sembia series. How much would I be missing out if I started reading Shadowbred/Shadowstorm?

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  23:52:56  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Quick question for you all. I've got Shadowbred, and I've ordered Shadowstorm. But I've so far not read either the Erevis Cale trilogy or the Erevis Cale novel in the Sembia series. How much would I be missing out if I started reading Shadowbred/Shadowstorm?

A whole freaking bunch. You should definitely read Shadow's Witness and the Ervis Cale Trilogy before reading the Twilight War Trilogy. I will probably read them all again before I buy the Twilight War Trilogy when the third volume comes out, just so the events of the previous books will be fresh in my mind.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  23:57:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd recommend reading the previous Cale books as well. At least, read the Cale trilogy first (the author himself is apparently recommending that people start with the Cale trilogy).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  01:16:35  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
read the Cale trilogy first. I have not yet read the sembia series, but had no issues with backstory
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  14:10:18  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Uzzy,

My recent blog post on this very issue is here: http://paulskemp.livejournal.com/143775.html.

As RF noted, I encourage new readers to start with The Erevis Cale Trilogy, though you can see from the comments that many readers think it better to start at the beginning. In the end, I think you can start at any one of three obvious spots (Sembia, EC Trilogy, or Twilight War) and not feel lost.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  19:32:22  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read what you have and don't wait. They are all great books and all contain more than enough to hook you on Cale & Riven. Mr Kemp is one of our finest authors and I am sure you will love his books!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Vexxan
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2007 :  10:19:40  Show Profile  Visit Vexxan's Homepage Send Vexxan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liken Shadow's Witness to an Erevis Cale episode of Before They Were Famous. It wasn't critical to either the Cale trilogy or the character himself.
The Cale Trilogy follows both the rise of Cale in the grand mix of things, and also the beginning of his fall. They happen concurrently. It also introduces some key secondary characters to the Twilight War that really should be given consideration enough to see their development from the beginning. I would strenuously urge you to indulge yourself with the original trilogy before tackling the Twilight War books.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000