Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 On Halaster (Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  19:21:28  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
At the end of Elminster in Hell, Mystra gave Halaster a spell to cast his madness on Asmodeus right as Asmodeus was going to kill the Simbul. Also, it is hinted at during the events of Elminster in Hell that she made him one of her chosen. Is there an official ruling by Ed on this? It just seems tragic that he died (mentioned in Expedition to Undermountain and the Grand History of the Realms) so shortly after regaining sanity and gaining the favor of his deity.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 16 Oct 2007 19:30:28

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  19:43:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

At the end of Elminster in Hell, Mystra gave Halaster a spell to cast his madness on Asmodeus right as Asmodeus was going to kill the Simbul. Also, it is hinted at during the events of Elminster in Hell that she made him one of her chosen. Is there an official ruling by Ed on this? It just seems tragic that he died (mentioned in Expedition to Undermountain and the Grand History of the Realms) so shortly after regaining sanity and gaining the favor of his deity.

Yes, check my logs. :)

But the summary is that she DID NOT make him a Chosen but she made him something or she had plans for him..... I guess, now, those plans never happened or if they were related to the Spellplague then that is a pretty crappy reward for Halaster. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  02:29:30  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really hope there is more to Halaster still. That dude has so much history its like he is Elminster's cousin or something. Imagine those family reunions and shieldmeets.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

glitter
Acolyte

France
45 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  10:46:49  Show Profile Send glitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje
But the summary is that she DID NOT make him a Chosen but she made him something or she had plans for him.

I understood just like you, the word "chosen" hasn't been written AFAIK

quote:
I guess, now, those plans never happened or if they were related to the Spellplague then that is a pretty crappy reward for Halaster. :)

Halaster hasn't been killed because of the symptoms of the spellplague but by other wizards who corrupted one of his experience.

-The black knight is invincible!
- You’re a looney.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  13:12:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by glitter

Halaster hasn't been killed because of the symptoms of the spellplague but by other wizards who corrupted one of his experience.
Though I've yet to purchase the new Undermountain tome, it's my understanding that Halaster's death was a precursor of sorts to the forthcoming events of the Spellplague.

The entry about Halaster's death in Grand History would also seem to indicate this was the case.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Oct 2007 13:13:16
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  16:02:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by glitter

Though I've yet to purchase the new Undermountain tome, it's my understanding that Halaster's death was a precursor of sorts to the forthcoming events of the Spellplague.

The entry about Halaster's death in Grand History would also seem to indicate this was the case.

Indeed, from what WOTC has said, Halaster's death is related to the Spellplague. I believe they said he tried to stop it.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  03:12:03  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was really sad to see him die. Being essentially one of the last survivors of fallen Imaskar, he was pretty valuable to Mystra...holding all that lost lore and all.

By the way...if Halastar knew the Spellplague was going to happen...how in the seven stars did Mystra NOT know it?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  05:36:54  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dalor_darden

By the way...if Halastar knew the Spellplague was going to happen...how in the seven stars did Mystra NOT know it?

That is a damn good question, and hopefully one they will answer in detail at the very least by the publishing of the 4e FRCG (but I am vainly hoping for sometime before).

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  09:10:56  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was hinted in Undermountain that Halaster was working on something as said, but in my understanding it was also implied that the PC’s could continue this work and still better might even succeed. If this event was a harbinger of the Spellplague – there might be a chance that in an ongoing campaign the players might prevent the disaster

(Yes - I know, that 4e will give the details – but as many scribes here, I’m looking for possible straws to catch )

Edit Note: There still might be some typos

Edited by - Matthus on 22 Oct 2007 09:12:10
Go to Top of Page

Pharaun Mizzrym
Acolyte

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  23:18:59  Show Profile  Visit Pharaun Mizzrym's Homepage Send Pharaun Mizzrym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Halaster I did'nt know he was dead:( I guess i should have paid attention to the spoiler warning
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  03:30:06  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:
Originally posted by dalor_darden

That is a damn good question, and hopefully one they will answer in detail at the very least by the publishing of the 4e FRCG (but I am vainly hoping for sometime before).

Remember, Mystra has always be called a Lady of Mysteries. It is possible that she knew this would happen and set certain events in motion to protect magic at the end of it, even if it cost her her life.

She could have hinted something to Hal, and he decided to attempt a stop while she knowing fair well that he would die in his attempt. It's possible to say this then (so much speculation!) that she needed to be "with soul" of him to set him on his quest rather than a mortal, psychical form.

Now that wouldn't surprise me a bit.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  16:44:05  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neriandal Freit

Remember, Mystra has always be called a Lady of Mysteries. It is possible that she knew this would happen and set certain events in motion to protect magic at the end of it, even if it cost her her life.

She could have hinted something to Hal, and he decided to attempt a stop while she knowing fair well that he would die in his attempt. It's possible to say this then (so much speculation!) that she needed to be "with soul" of him to set him on his quest rather than a mortal, psychical form.

Now that wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Good point!

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  03:03:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just had a thought... Here's some things we know:

Halaster apparently sensed the coming of the Spellplague.

Mystra, apparently, didn't.

Cyric somehow snuck into Mystra's own home and killed her.

Shar has the Karsestone -- the petrified heart of someone who was, for an instant, the deity of magic.

My thinking: Some property of the Karsestone, specifically related to it belonging to a former deity of magic, allowed Shar to use it for the cloaking of various things. Because of it, Mystra was blind to the threat of the Spellplague, and she was blind to another deity entering her realm.

Yeah, I know it's kinda Spider-Man/Venom-ish, but it still seems to me to be plausible.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  03:23:06  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of Shar with the Karsestone.

And to get even with Halaster for not serving her...she gave him visions of something to come that she knew he would try to stop but couldn't...and so he died and she had her revenge.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  03:28:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Shar has the Karsestone -- the petrified heart of someone who was, for an instant, the deity of magic.

My thinking: Some property of the Karsestone, specifically related to it belonging to a former deity of magic, allowed Shar to use it for the cloaking of various things. Because of it, Mystra was blind to the threat of the Spellplague, and she was blind to another deity entering her realm.

Yeah, I know it's kinda Spider-Man/Venom-ish, but it still seems to me to be plausible.

I like that. In fact, I like that a lot!

As an alternate take, perhaps the Karsestone created a "hole" in the Weave, or some kind of "blank" area that neither Mystra I nor Mystra II were ever able to properly detect. Cyric could've made use of that "hole," thanks to Shar's manipulation. Magic of Faerûn established the basis of the Shadow Weave as the "gaps" in the Weave itself. It could be that the Karsestone, tainted by Shar's influence, exploited the principle of the Shadow Weave as "gaps" in the Weave and allowed Cyric to pass through into Mystra's realm without being detected.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Oct 2007 03:30:29
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  19:25:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll never like the Spellplague plot, but I think that take on it could make sense.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  20:47:42  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This might also explain why Halaster knew it was coming, because he had spent some time under Shar's influence, though she was hiding it from Mystra, he might have gotten some sort of insight. It still rubs me raw that he died after regaining his sanity though. I always thought he was cool, and add to that sanity and becoming an agent of Mystra, the possibilities were endless (though not so much anymore ).

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:

Edited by - Hawkins on 24 Oct 2007 20:48:35
Go to Top of Page

glitter
Acolyte

France
45 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2007 :  17:38:17  Show Profile Send glitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Indeed, from what WOTC has said, Halaster's death is related to the Spellplague. I believe they said he tried to stop it.

I will have to check the book again.
But, IIRC, he was working on a spell (or ritual, or more Halaster-like ) and it was a corruption of the magic flow from the Twisted Runes who is the real mishap that killed Halaster, and not the spelplague itself (something that is supposed to happen in 1385).

-The black knight is invincible!
- You’re a looney.
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  14:57:40  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to "reopen" this top with a quote from Wooly who answered my statement in another top:

quote:

To think about undermountain, I believe with Halaster gone, it won't be the same place in the future, even with all the gates left to dump the monsters in it will be felt in short time that the "loving" hand of the mad mage is missing

But until the floors are cleared - a hell of a dangerous place

Wooly:
I'm convinced that in some way, Halaster will still be around.

I think that the essence of Halaster spread and was felt over Faerun. Do any off you believe he will be back? Just curious about your opinion

Edited by - Matthus on 07 Nov 2007 15:01:33
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  15:06:53  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halaster being back? Yes.

Even if we do factor in the Heart theory that's been provided on this thread, and the fact that Hal was with Shar (and thus enabling Mystra to see into that, but not the other way around) enabled her as a goddess to take the necessary measures to protect magic at the cost of her life (what any true God would do) and the cost of specific mages in Faerun.

Something tells me we are going to be surprised unless we figure this out. I honestly think that alot of this was planned on Mystra's part and Halaster is playing his role now.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  15:18:22  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halaster being the new god of magic since he both got loads of it and is insane ... grabbing both Mystras and Cyrics (insanity themed) portfolios ... though ending up either as TN or CN

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month

Edited by - Sian on 07 Nov 2007 15:18:50
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  16:24:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My original idea was of the Manshoon clone that was in Undermountain (henceforth to be called "UnderMan") would gather some pieces of Halaster's soul and merge with them, becoming some sort of Manshoon/Halaster gestalt. Now, however, I'm pondering him returning as some sort of unique undead, specifically tied to and still at least in partial control of Undermountain. I'm picturing this undead Halaster as being something kinda like Syluné was.

I favor the latter option, in particular, because of the way Halaster had everything tied to himself. I'm thinking that the wards and spells and such, being directly linked to him, would have absorbed enough of Halaster's errant bits to at least partially reconstitute him.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 Nov 2007 16:25:23
Go to Top of Page

Kheris
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  16:30:35  Show Profile  Visit Kheris's Homepage Send Kheris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My original idea was of the Manshoon clone that was in Undermountain (henceforth to be called "UnderMan") would gather some pieces of Halaster's soul and merge with them, becoming some sort of Manshoon/Halaster gestalt. Now, however, I'm pondering him returning as some sort of unique undead, specifically tied to and still at least in partial control of Undermountain. I'm picturing this undead Halaster as being something kinda like Syluné was.

I favor the latter option, in particular, because of the way Halaster had everything tied to himself. I'm thinking that the wards and spells and such, being directly linked to him, would have absorbed enough of Halaster's errant bits to at least partially reconstitute him.

I think that's made even more plausible by the adventure hook itself - where anything brought from Undermountain seemed to resonate with his cries and granted visions.

Perhaps a determined few, or the machinations of Deities, could gather enough of those objects in one place for his soul to reconstitute itself in his old home?

Eh... Maybe I'm just grasping at straws since I really didn't like how he got his ticket punched
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000