Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Netheril
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  07:43:30  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Ayrik and Master TBeholder,

I have to admit this makes a lot of sense to me here. I have a perfect example from when I was getting my minor in mathematics as I went towards my other degrees. I was taking my 2nd quarter of calculus, and was learning about partial fraction decomposition. It was an arduous, and dumb thing to learn. My instructor said it was dumb, and it wasn't needed anymore. He said it was an antiquated approach and served no purpose in modern mathematics anymore. So, he got rid of it. haha

My point is just that, other professors of mathematics about lost their collective minds when they heard of PFD being tossed because the traditions were violated. I think mathematicians still know what it served a purpose for, and that was that old tradition they wanted to keep, even though they found ways around it.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Modern medicine, chemistry, and astrophysics have "mostly abandoned [the old] traditions" of witch doctors, medieval alchemy, and occult astrology which came before them. Sometimes the Old Ways still contain useful nuggets of lore (herbal cures, metallurgical methods, observed celestial events, etc) which are still valuable ... but there's good reasons for discarding them in preference of the new paradigms.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  18:25:40  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good morning Master Krashos,

I have not yet, though I plan to today or tomorrow as I find time from that damn thing called work! ;)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Krashos,

Revitalizing this for another question: any chance you might consider updating it to the older 3.5/PF 1st systems? Some of us are still never-adopters. haha

Best regards,

I'm pretty sure my Mantle stuff was already 3.5E compatible. Have you tracked it down?

-- George Krashos

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2020 :  00:37:19  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Great Reader Ayrik and Master TBeholder,

I have to admit this makes a lot of sense to me here. I have a perfect example

Whether it's perfect can be seen with the help of a simple question: do the professors of mathematics use partial fraction decomposition semi-regularly to avoid being burned alive?
And it's a rhetorical question.
They don't even try to set each other on fire all that often.
The matters of aesthetics and even convenience are never a good analogy for #SkinInTheGame matters.

quote:
from when I was getting my minor in mathematics as I went towards my other degrees. I was taking my 2nd quarter of calculus, and was learning about partial fraction decomposition. It was an arduous, and dumb thing to learn. My instructor said it was dumb, and it wasn't needed anymore. He said it was an antiquated approach and served no purpose in modern mathematics anymore. So, he got rid of it. haha

While it doesn't come up as often as adding/subtracting fractions, it's merely reverse of the same, isn't it? Which is yet another good reason for the exercise, even if they don't expect it to be directly useful.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2020 :  20:48:16  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos,

Indeed I did. Thank you!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Master Krashos,

Revitalizing this for another question: any chance you might consider updating it to the older 3.5/PF 1st systems? Some of us are still never-adopters. haha

Best regards,

I'm pretty sure my Mantle stuff was already 3.5E compatible. Have you tracked it down?

-- George Krashos

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000