Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Harpers Series
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brisebri
Acolyte

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  22:55:27  Show Profile  Visit brisebri's Homepage Send brisebri a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all. This is my first post. I've read a couple of forgotten realms series but I've spent more time trying to find books to complete other series than reading. Anyway I almost have all of the 16 books of the Harpers series. I've read the FAQ on this series but I'm still confused. In what order should I read the Harpers? I mean do I read book 1 to 16 then read those books which are not part of the Harpers after? Or when I get to a book that is part of another series do I read that series in order then return to the Harpers? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  23:03:45  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would read novels by the same author together. I know that the Harpers novels by Elaine Cunningham were republished as the Songs and Swords series. I those are the only ones that I have really read from the Harpers series though.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2007 :  01:27:59  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read the harpers series as they came out and had absolutly no issues.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2007 :  04:23:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Ditto. But the books are, for the most part, standalone. They can therefore be read in any order. The only exceptions are the books by Ed and Elaine, and I think The Parched Sea and The Veiled Dragon.

Some of those books I very much enjoyed. Others I didn't enjoy so much... And there's a couple more of them that the only reason I'm replacing them is for the sake of completeness -- because I'd originally purchased all the books as they came out.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2007 :  07:55:14  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Ditto. But the books are, for the most part, standalone. They can therefore be read in any order. The only exceptions are the books by Ed and Elaine, and I think The Parched Sea and The Veiled Dragon.

Some of those books I very much enjoyed. Others I didn't enjoy so much... And there's a couple more of them that the only reason I'm replacing them is for the sake of completeness -- because I'd originally purchased all the books as they came out.

Oh that's right, I do have The Parched Sea and The Veiled Dragon, and they should be read in the correct order. I read them the other way and it made less sense. Crucible also make more sense if you read The Parched Sea and The Veiled Dragon first too.

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2007 :  11:39:36  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might want to check out this great site. Here you can find a lot about books, their stories, timelines and plots and reading orders.

FORGOTTEN REALMS - The Library

and in particular about the Harper series here.

Hope that helps a little.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 13 Oct 2007 11:42:38
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2007 :  13:54:01  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The two Shadow books - Crypt of the Shadowking and Curse of the Shadowmage were related. And two of my favorites

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.

Edited by - MerrikCale on 21 Oct 2007 13:54:27
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2007 :  15:35:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:

quote:

The two Shadow books - Crypt of the Shadowking and Curse of the Shadowmage were related. And two of my favorites

Ah, yes, my bad. I didn't particularly enjoy those books, so I basically forgot about them.

Go to Top of Page

Veldrin Laervain
Acolyte

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  20:18:27  Show Profile  Visit Veldrin Laervain's Homepage Send Veldrin Laervain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine Cunningham is one of my favortie author of the realms with Ed Greenwood. I realy like her serie in the Harpers, that are one of the organisation I liked the most.

I for instance, have read has they come out in french, that might not be the original order and have no probleme to read and understand.

Destiny is as great as our choice.
A situation will always have two side, a bad and a good.
May the song of the Dark Maiden guide the step of your life's dance
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  01:24:02  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Ah, yes, my bad. I didn't particularly enjoy those books, so I basically forgot about them.

Really? I thought that those two along Elaine Cunningham's were the highlights of a very good series

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Veldrin Laervain
Acolyte

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  02:25:03  Show Profile  Visit Veldrin Laervain's Homepage Send Veldrin Laervain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I quite enjoyed Crypte of the ShadowKing, but canot comment curse of the shadowmage because I don't recall if it has been traduct in french yet, and if so, I don't know the french title.

But for the one of Elaine Cunningham, they sure are my favorite. I read with immense plaisure every book who speak of Craulnober, Moonblade or Thann. I realy loved the triology about Halruaa, Matteo and Tzigone, the Conselors and Kings (I'm not sure of the english title).

Edited by - Veldrin Laervain on 24 Nov 2007 02:26:52
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  04:06:27  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was another excellent book re: a village of gnomes at odds with a tribe of gnolls,and a young female harper comes to help the gnomes. I can't recall the name now, but it was quite good and pleasantly small scaled

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  07:06:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There was another excellent book re: a village of gnomes at odds with a tribe of gnolls,and a young female harper comes to help the gnomes. I can't recall the name now, but it was quite good and pleasantly small scaled

Soldiers of Ice, I think it was called. I want to say it was either book 6 or book 7. It's another of the ones I didn't care for.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  08:23:04  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Soldiers of Ice is number seven. One of my personal favorites of the series along with Night Parade(and, come to think of it, more or less the entire rest of the series).
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  19:18:59  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Soldiers of Ice, I think it was called. I want to say it was either book 6 or book 7. It's another of the ones I didn't care for.

really? why? I really thought that one was underrated, but it doesn't appear we agree on FR novels.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  20:34:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

really? why? I really thought that one was underrated, but it doesn't appear we agree on FR novels.

It's been years since I read it, so I'll have to go from memory... As I recall, the story simply didn't have a single element that grabbed me. I want to say there was some specific details that really bothered me, but it's been so long that I can't name those details.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  21:17:35  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Soldiers of Ice, along with the Ogre Pact, remind me more of the old Cooper and Ellis stories and westerns I read as a kid, than the standard Realms novels, so I may be a bit nostalgically biased. There's also gnomes and humanoids, always an advantage. Plus I like the low magic, small story aspect of the books.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  22:13:50  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Plus I like the low magic, small story aspect of the books.

that was appealing to me as well

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  22:28:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like small stories; just not that one.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2007 :  01:51:58  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

which of the Harper books did you like? I'm sure you loved Stormlight but besides that one.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2007 :  05:37:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

which of the Harper books did you like? I'm sure you loved Stormlight but besides that one.

Actually, I don't recall liking that one all that much. I'm not a fan of Ed's fiction, for the most part. I've liked a couple of his books, but in general, they don't do anything for me.

For the Harpers novels... Red Magic I enjoyed the last time I read it, but that was years ago. Ditto for Night Parade. I always particularly enjoyed Parched Sea and The Veiled Dragon. Elaine's books were a favorite of the series. Ring of Winter I loved, ditto for Masquerades and Finder's Bane.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2007 :  06:34:27  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That one was actually among those I personally liked the least. And I am an Ed fan. It has been somewhere between ten and fifteen years since I read it though. It seems like I might have to give it another shot.
Go to Top of Page

Veldrin Laervain
Acolyte

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2007 :  14:06:19  Show Profile  Visit Veldrin Laervain's Homepage Send Veldrin Laervain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ring of Winter I loved, ditto for Masquerades

I realy enjoid them in french... I'm always waiting for other Harpers in french or Elaine's books.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2007 :  16:06:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ring of Winter was great, yes.

Stormlight was a fun novel, and I very much love Storm, but I felt the book became too repetitive towards the end.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2007 :  01:30:10  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not care for Soldiers of Ice either, I think it was the way the characters were portrayed - most of them were like caricatures of who they were supposed to be, and the characters I was interested in were underdeveloped.

I did, however, enjoy Ring of Winter and the Parched Sea is one of my favorites - it was very well done.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Veldrin Laervain
Acolyte

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2007 :  02:33:23  Show Profile  Visit Veldrin Laervain's Homepage Send Veldrin Laervain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What'S the story of parched sea? I can't know which book it is just by his english title...

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2007 :  10:58:43  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Parched Sea - Book I of the Harpers series:

'The Parched Sea

Determined to drive a trade route through Anauroch, the Zhentarim have sent an army to enslave the fierce nomads of the Great Desert. As tribe after tribe fall to the intruders, only a single woman, Ruha, sees the true danger -- but what sheikh will heed the advice of an outcast witch?

Ruha finds help from an unexpected source. The Harpers, guardians of liberty throughout the Realms, have sent an agent to counter the Zhentarim. If she can help this stranger win the trust of the sheikhs, perhaps he can overcome the tribes' ancestral rivalries and drive the invaders from the desert.'

Thats the back cover text. You'll find it and a picture of the cover at the Forgotten Realms Library.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Veldrin Laervain
Acolyte

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2007 :  20:37:58  Show Profile  Visit Veldrin Laervain's Homepage Send Veldrin Laervain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Parched Sea - Book I of the Harpers series:

'The Parched Sea

Determined to drive a trade route through Anauroch, the Zhentarim have sent an army to enslave the fierce nomads of the Great Desert. As tribe after tribe fall to the intruders, only a single woman, Ruha, sees the true danger -- but what sheikh will heed the advice of an outcast witch?

Ruha finds help from an unexpected source. The Harpers, guardians of liberty throughout the Realms, have sent an agent to counter the Zhentarim. If she can help this stranger win the trust of the sheikhs, perhaps he can overcome the tribes' ancestral rivalries and drive the invaders from the desert.'

Thats the back cover text. You'll find it and a picture of the cover at the Forgotten Realms Library.

Ok, I know and realy enjoyed that book. The end is just to great and perfect finish for that story.

Ruha is a character of an other book if I'm not mistaken yes?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2007 :  21:12:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Veldrin _Laftria

The Veiled Dragon. She also popped up in the Return of the Archwizards trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2007 :  22:00:45  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Veldrin _Laftria

The Veiled Dragon. She also popped up in the Return of the Archwizards trilogy.

She also has a large part in Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad, which also explains why she is after Malik in the Return of the Archwizards trilogy.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000