Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 a DL book a FR book
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  18:58:29  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Fistandantius reborn why is this listed in the FR books under the lost gods series,isn't he from DL? Also its listed as a DL.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  19:05:41  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The series had a character and a couple of elements overlapping in one of the books, but the Dragonlance book is Dragonlance and the Realms books are completely Realms. It was the series collection theme (Dead gods? My memory fails me) that bound them together.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  19:30:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that the third book was actually supposed to have been Planescape...

Fistandantilus Reborn was really an odd sort of book. To quickly sum it up, it's a different timeline, the one before Raistlin went back to become the Master of Past and Present. I didn't really enjoy the book that much -- it just utterly failed to grab me. And it really doesn't do much for the trilogy, other than intro a single character. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that the book was never intended to be part of a trilogy, but they stuck in one because it was convenient.

Usually, when reading those books, I ignore that one, and go straight from Finder's Bane to Tymora's Luck.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  19:48:04  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
but why cross DL with FR there two different worlds.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  19:57:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by riot the outsider

Because in 2e they were a part of the same multiverse. So you could travel between them and greyhawk and the other campaign settings. Either by using the planes, spelljamming, or, in the case for Ravenloft, different access points or if the mists swallowed you.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  20:07:14  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm.... didn't know that, greyhawk? my mind slips on that name.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  20:16:02  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmmm.... didn't know that, greyhawk? my mind slips on that name.

Greyhawk is the world Gary Gygax created.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  21:53:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There really wasn't a crossing... A kender character from the DL book went to Sigil, and there met the group from Finder's Bane. He stuck with them thru Tymora's Luck. Almost all of Tymora's Luck was set in various planes. At the end, the kender says he wants to go to the Realms, but we never actually see it.

Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  22:18:18  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats terrible,Mixing the two bad idea,FR is way better than DL by far but some people like em.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  23:45:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thats terrible,Mixing the two bad idea,FR is way better than DL by far but some people like em.

Again, it wasn't a mix. Tymora's Luck was set almost entirely on the planes, so characters from any world can be there.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  00:53:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

It was the series collection theme (Dead gods? My memory fails me) that bound them together.
Fistandantilus Reborn was originally part of the "Lost Legends" series.
quote:

In your opinion, of course.

Personally, I love both the Realms and DRAGONLANCE for entirely different reasons. And it would be difficult, if not impossible, to determine which is actually "better" than the other, given the fact that both settings tend to approach the fantasy campaign setting theme in slightly different ways.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  08:56:47  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like the idea (and both settings), as long as the contact is sparse. I would have preferred a Spelljammer tie before a Planescape one though.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  11:14:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

I like the idea (and both settings), as long as the contact is sparse. I would have preferred a Spelljammer tie before a Planescape one though.

That was mixed in there, too. One of the characters in Finder's Bane had previously been seen only in the comics. She was intro'ed in the FR comic, but then moved over to the Spelljammer comic. Finder's Bane had her return to the Realms, where she immediately lost her ship. The ship was then used throughout the book, and they even took it to the Outlands with them.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000