Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Goliaths of Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  18:00:39  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I enjoyed the articles about the new races developed by WotC place in the Realms, and I didn't know a goliath was officially taken into the Realms via the Depths of Madness novel. That's pretty cool.

Where was the goliath from and did the novel reveal anything about goliath culture and society in the Realms?

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  00:48:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik's Depths of Madness does indeed reveal a little about both Gargan's [the goliath featured in the novel] home village and goliath society in general.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Oct 2007 00:49:08
Go to Top of Page

Aewrik
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  03:32:10  Show Profile Send Aewrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh? What are the goliaths?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  04:06:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Goliaths were a new race introduced into the D&D core rules in Races of Stone. There's a brief overview about them here on the WotC site.

Go to Top of Page

Ateth Istarlin
Seeker

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  10:28:01  Show Profile Send Ateth Istarlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But where would you place them in the Realms?
(I'm interested in using them as both PC's & NPC's)

The more I read about 4FR, the more depressed I am.
Politician - An elected official who tries to be all things to all people, while always looking out for his/her own interests first.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  15:18:47  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started this scroll a while back. None of its official, mind you, but I tried to make it as true to what I could glean as possible:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9582&SearchTerms=Races,of,Stone,in
Go to Top of Page

Ateth Istarlin
Seeker

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  15:45:34  Show Profile Send Ateth Istarlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks KnightErrantJR,
Thats great stuff! & should help me out no end

The more I read about 4FR, the more depressed I am.
Politician - An elected official who tries to be all things to all people, while always looking out for his/her own interests first.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  19:37:56  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also believe that Goliaths are mentions in the 3.5 supplement Champions of Valor. I have it, but I have not read through it yet, I just think I remembering seeing them on the Table of Contents. Actually, I just went to WotC's Champions of Valor excerpts page <http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051111a>, and Goliaths are listed in the Table of Contents under Races from Other Supplements.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2007 :  01:23:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed.

Several locations around the Realms are referenced on pg. 17 of Champions of Valor as places for inserting goliaths into an FR campaign. The section also offers suggestions for how goliaths came to be, in the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2007 :  01:26:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Erik's Depths of Madness does indeed reveal a little about both Gargan's [the goliath featured in the novel] home village and goliath society in general.
Given the location of Negarath in Depths, as in Anauroch, and Twilight and Gargan's visit to the goliath village later, I would speculate that the goliath village in Depths, was likely located near mountains somewhere in or around Anauroch -- which is also a suggested goliath location in Champions of Valor.

It's possible Erik may have been considering the goliath details from CoV when writing Depths. And the proximity of a fallen Netherese enclave somewhere near the location of a goliath village, was simply too intriguing to ignore.

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Oct 2007 01:29:30
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2007 :  17:44:36  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as actual "canon" information on goliaths in the Realms, the Expedition to UnderMountain adventure also mentions a settlement in the depths of UnderMountain, the Murkstones, which has a small population of goliaths, along with some other underdark races.

Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  23:27:33  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If there is a tie between the Netherese and the Goliath, then mayhaps the Goliath of Undermountain heed back from the days of the Sargauth Enclave?

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2012 :  01:32:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

What the available resources could tell, it looks like there's none. Though the possibility sounds intriguing.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2012 :  22:39:30  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out Tom Costa and my article on the subject, from this link (under the one titled Gargan the Dispossessed, which is the name of the Goliath in tr novel): http://erikscottdebie.com/new-to-the-site-heres-a-guide/exclusive-web-content-free/

More later!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2012 :  17:28:12  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For additional info on Goliaths of the Realms, check out Monument of the Ancients in Dungeon 170. There you'll find lore on the goliath hunters of Mount Akoro (in the Moonsea North) which corroborate the Netheril connection established by Erik/Tom's work.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  03:38:39  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

For additional info on Goliaths of the Realms, check out Monument of the Ancients in Dungeon 170. There you'll find lore on the goliath hunters of Mount Akoro (in the Moonsea North) which corroborate the Netheril connection established by Erik/Tom's work.

I remember reading that and noticing the exact origin story given was the one they originally wrote for that web article.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000