Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Drow Novels Other Than Lloth-Based
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  11:20:37  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Which novels would you like to have published??

Choices:

Legend of the Jaezred Chaulssin
Slime Lords of Ghaunadaur
Kiaransalee''s Cultists
Judicators of Selvetarm
All of the Above

(Anonymous Vote)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber

Edited by - Drakul on 11 Oct 2007 11:27:26

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  11:25:28  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made this topic to gain opinions from others (obviously). Granted the titles are subject to change, but its the idea of Drow based novels other than Lloth.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  12:21:42  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It appears you skipped the Dark Maiden, however Lolth and her are at each other often that it might become hard for a book just about the daughter.

As far as it goes except maybe for the slime lord almost every book would need to include something about Lolth when dealing with Drow (as it stands now).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  12:37:20  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I purposely left the Dark Maiden out because she has been used almost as much as Lloth has been used. The novels with Liriel Baenre, War of the Spider Queen and The Lady Penitent. Granted, Lloth has been in more novels than any other Drow Deity, but I think the others should have more mention.

Edited by - Drakul on 11 Oct 2007 13:41:47
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  13:07:00  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Kiaransalee, because I believe that the Lady of Dead deserves some more attention than just a mega-adventure based on her cultists and in respect for and memory of one certain forum member that just resenctly decided to leave these halls.

Besides, most others have been touched by one or another novel as (don't mind me saying) 'side-kicks'. Kiaransalee however...... I have never seen her being mentionend in any novel so far.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 11 Oct 2007 13:09:24
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11681 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  16:04:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

Which novels would you like to have published??

Without a doubt, Kiaransalee. Even if it has to be some past history books... but I'd really like to find out she isn't dead and managed to trick Lolth.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  18:42:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

I voted for Kiaransalee, because I believe that the Lady of Dead deserves some more attention than just a mega-adventure based on her cultists and in respect for and memory of one certain forum member that just resenctly decided to leave these halls.

Besides, most others have been touched by one or another novel as (don't mind me saying) 'side-kicks'. Kiaransalee however...... I have never seen her being mentionend in any novel so far.

Ergdusch

She's mentioned in the recent novel Storm of the Dead...however, I'm guessing that novel might have been the reason for the above-mentioned forum member (if I'm thinking of the same person you are) deciding to depart.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  19:42:36  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I am pleased to see that the Jaezred Chaulssin are leading in the Polls. Long live the Jaezred Chaulssin and Vhaeraun.

Go to Top of Page

IronAngel
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  22:00:59  Show Profile  Visit IronAngel's Homepage Send IronAngel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I've long hoped for Ghaunadaur to gain more influence. If only he became more sane and interested in mortal affairs. As is, he doesn't really have an agenda comprehensible to most drow. I'd like to see something about his followers, to understand how they work and think. At this point, it seems he will not be getting a larger role in the Realms anytime soon, but whatever intrigue we can get around him would be well-accepted over here.
Go to Top of Page

Arbourean
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  06:28:54  Show Profile  Visit Arbourean's Homepage Send Arbourean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think they'd all be interesting choices, but unfortunately for most of them the novel would have to be set sometime in the past.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  06:47:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I've grown tired with the whole "drow scene" of late, I do tend to have a thing for slimes, oozes, jellies, and Ghaunadaur in general. The Slime Lords have got my vote!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  08:54:20  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ghaunadaur sounds interesting, but not necessarily tied strictly to the drow, as Sage I am a little tired of drow books personally.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  16:18:57  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The more the merrier.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  23:26:49  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I cast no vote for a variety of reasons. The Jaezred Chaulsin are essentially no drow. The cult of Ghaunadaur is not exactly a drow cult either, even though he was / is listed as a drow deity. Kiaransalee ... well, her dream ended with LP II and we simply will not see any novels on her cult. Same goes for Selvetarm.

NB: It is Lolth, not Lloth ... and essentially, there are not that many novels outside the WotSQ and LP that are exactly Lolth-based novels either.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2007 :  04:28:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also didn't vote. I like Vhaeraun, but not the Jaezred Chaulsin. And none of the others interest me enough to want to read an entire novel on them. I might do it for Ghaunaduar, but possibly not.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2007 :  11:04:49  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zanan, Lloth is spelled many different ways. Lloth, Lolth, Loethe, etc. The first 2 are used in various novels. From Salvatore's to Cunningham's and those that wrote the WotSQ. The Jaezred Chaulssin were Drow before they mastered the powerful magic from their Shadow Dragon slavers. Which is why they have a specific Drow form when they shape shift. I agree, yet disagree with your statement.

Also, quite a few novels with Drizzt were Lloth based. Dark Elf Trilogy and The Legacy of the Drow.

Edited by - Drakul on 13 Oct 2007 11:09:16
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2007 :  11:30:27  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lloth is a misspelling by RAS in one of his earlier Drizzt-novels. It got carried on and was "canonized" in DD as being a regional (as in regional) alias of her in the Northdark, mainly Menzoberranzan and Ched Nasad. That said, all recent drow novels have not taken that notion up for years now - apart from RAS, of course. Why? Because he likes to do his own stuff, just take the drow abilities et al. Loethe? That is somewhat new to me - within Realmspace.
I know the history of the Jaezred Chaulssin and it does not matter what they once "were". It is more important what they are now (though we do not know yet how they stomached LP I). And if I read that web enhancement to Dragons of Faerūn, I think I don't want to hear more on those diehard patriarchs who get themselves drow female slaves for just one reason - dominate them and have them breed more dragonspawn.
The Drizzt novels are Drizzt-based, the drow just make up a part of it.

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2007 :  11:51:08  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With all due respect, the Drizzt novels are not fully Drizzt-based. Especially those that have Menzoberranzan involved. After all, it started in Menzo and kind of ended in Menzo. Therefore, they are more Lloth based.

As for tha Jaezred Chaulssin, it is what they once were that made them what they are now. The same goes for every person in the world. You might think it does not matter, when in all actuality, it does.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2007 :  23:28:06  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Without trying to get that far away from the topic ...

- the Drizzt novels have a certain agenda and focus not on the Lolthites, but Drizzt. They use the Lolthites as the archetypical MM drow - there to be abhored and removed from the "surface" of Faerūn. WotSQ and LP though has lots of Dark Heroes who actually portray the society of the drow from within, a drow point of view. I'm not saying that RAS' novels don't show us drow, but it is an angled-view which you get.

- Would this essentially mean that if you want to have novels on the Shades, you would actually be asking for novels of the Netherese humans (they once were)? I'd doubt that, but that's just me. Then again, the Jaezred Chaulssin may provide an interesting story once we know how they survived the events of LP I to III and that certain Spellplague thing. Of course, it is always good to be a mighty dragon aside from all those class levels.

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  19:17:05  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bring them all on...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  16:23:30  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What does WotSQ and LP stand for?

There are books on drow not written by RAS??? =)

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  16:30:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

What does WotSQ and LP stand for?

There are books on drow not written by RAS??? =)

War of the Spider Queen, Lady Penitent.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Dec 2007 16:30:51
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  00:54:43  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of the above ...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2012 :  20:53:48  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't Slime Lords of Ghaunadaur a fold-out calendar published by TSR?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2012 :  18:45:55  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I'd really like to read about is newly changed Dark Elves coming to the surface.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2012 :  21:04:01  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am surprised that none have mentioned House Jaelre and the drow in Cormanthor. Of course, I've no idea what became of them after LP or if they've even survived post-SP.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  00:53:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

I am surprised that none have mentioned House Jaelre and the drow in Cormanthor. Of course, I've no idea what became of them after LP or if they've even survived post-SP.

I wouldn't mind learning more of the happenings of the Cormanthyr drow.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  04:47:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

I wouldn't mind learning more of the happenings of the Cormanthyr drow.

I'd love to see the conflict betwixt them and the forces rebuilding Myth Drannor, after the Crusade.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Jan 2012 04:47:26
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2012 :  05:48:21  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3 for Other (Drow of Cormanthor)

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 18 Jan 2012 05:49:42
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  23:22:48  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jaezred! I'd like to read more about him, and how House Jaelre (sp?) is fairing, now that Vhaeraun is dead (hopefully 5e remedies that). I'd also like to know what Q'arlynd is up to, and how that drow mage school in Ssamath (again, sp?) is doing.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  04:26:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

None of the choices. I'd like to see more drow novels, but I don't want them to be deity-centric. There's much potential for independent adventure for the drow. Gods don't necessarily make it cool, IMO.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000