Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 curious
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  19:01:54  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know what the first FR book every was?

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  19:07:49  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that the first novel was Darkwalker on Moonshae.

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  19:36:01  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats by douglas niles though I thought it would be a book by Ed greenwood since he created the FR world.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  21:06:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by riot the outsider

Thats by douglas niles though I thought it would be a book by Ed greenwood since he created the FR world.

The Niles book already existed; it was originally going to be British Dragginglance. They decided to repackage it, so to speak, to have a book out when the game world went live.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

J D Dunsany
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  22:32:13  Show Profile  Visit J D Dunsany's Homepage Send J D Dunsany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by riot the outsider

The Niles book already existed; it was originally going to be British Dragginglance. They decided to repackage it, so to speak, to have a book out when the game world went live.

I've heard this mentioned before and I'm quite curious about it. Dragonlance was already selling (pretty flipping well, as it happens) in the UK at the time FR was coming out. Were TSR really intending to do a British brand in the same universe and everything? That just seems utterly incredible (in its meaning of 'unbelievable') to me.

If you can point me to some information on this (and I appreciate we're not so much drifting as 'plunging' off-topic here), I'd greatly appreciate it.

Yours,

JDD

"How content that young woman looks, don't you think? How content, and yet how flammable." - Lemony Snicket, The Unauthorized Autobiography

Edited by - J D Dunsany on 08 Oct 2007 22:51:21
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  00:19:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See Jeff Grubb's discussion here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

J D Dunsany
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  08:11:52  Show Profile  Visit J D Dunsany's Homepage Send J D Dunsany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

See Jeff Grubb's discussion here.

Thanks, Sage. Very interesting stuff.

"How content that young woman looks, don't you think? How content, and yet how flammable." - Lemony Snicket, The Unauthorized Autobiography
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  03:01:06  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Crytsal Shard was the 2nd book

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000