Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Stardeep: Chapters 19 - 24
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  17:51:35  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Stardeep (Book 3 of the Dungeons series), by Bruce R. Cordell. Please discuss chapters 19 - 24 herein.

Please also see Bruce's dedicated Stardeep website for more details.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2007 :  18:37:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Delphe finally learns of Telarian's scheme. Big surprise there! But like I said, I'm still enjoying the ride.

I've enjoyed the scenes regarding Sildeyuir--the star elf realm sounds beautiful and would probably be a fun place to visit.

I was thinking about the inner workings of Stardeep, though, and I have to admit I'm still confused about some things. For example, where do they get enough food to feed everyone in the facility? I know the easy answer is "they generate it with magic", but the book doesn't say that, and that's hardly a satisifying answer anyway. I'm also confused about the number of Keepers Stardeep can have at any one time--the book leaves me to believe the number is two, but I could have sworn reading a passage that alluded to more Keepers than just two. Do the horses of the knights not mind being inside all the time? And finally, there seems to be an inordinate amount of secrecy within the Order--Nangulis turned into a sword only ten years ago, but supposedly the armory that the rest of his essence went into was secret and Telarian shouldn't have known about it (or did I miss something?)...even though he's a Keeper. If the armory is "fabled", then how did the essence get there? Cynosure? That's yet another thing about Stardeep that I find confusing.

But in spite of Stardeep's convoluted ways, I am having fun reading this book, and look forward to seeing how it concludes.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 16 Nov 2007 18:38:35
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
728 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  10:36:22  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The underdungeon was nicely oppressive, but I feel the ancient one could have been more menacing. The giant spider must have been truly threatening if it could consume a demon that quickly. Lucky Gage!

There is more than just two Keepers. The Edgewarden also seems to be connected to Stardeep in some way, keeping the aboleth created entropy from consuming Sildëyuir. Interesting was the nilshai purposely destroying the physical parts to seed a barren realm, ready for the aboleths to return to.

Spoiler:
The armory and the "Nis" essence was indeed hidden by Cynosure. That is revealed almost towards then of the book.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000