Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Stardeep: Chapters 25 - 29
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  17:50:59  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Stardeep (Book 3 of the Dungeons series), by Bruce R. Cordell. Please discuss chapters 25 - 29 herein.

Please also see Bruce's dedicated Stardeep website for more details.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  05:44:25  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spoilers

Stardeep was one of the most entertaining novels I have read in awhile. I agree that Bruce's style does lean toward the sci fi side - Cynosure reminds me markedly of the starship Enterprise computer gone awry, complete with transporters... Yet it worked remarkably well.

The story of Kiril and Nangulis is really touching, her pain is very real and I was moved at their short reunion. The plot with Telerian was actually very predictable, but you end up caring enough for Gage and Kiril to see it through the end.

I am glad that Bruce has verified that this is not a presage to the Abeir in Abeir-Toril. The idea of ancient horrors lurking underground reminded me a little too much of Eberron. This plot is more self contained.

Questions remain... Do the Nilshai relent with the foiling of the traitor, or do they keep up their attack on the star elves? The star elves appear to be on the brink of total annihilation, as presented in the book.

Since Bruce verified that Stardeep is not a presage of things to come, perhaps the most shaking revelation wasn't actually part of the book, but the synopsis of Book 3 of the Empyrean Odyssey in the back of the book:

"
The Crystal Mountain
What Aliisza has witness has changed her forever, but that's nothing compared to what has happened to the multiverse itself. The startling climax will change the nature of the cosmos forever
"

Since a cleric of Cyric made an appearance at the end of Book I, perhaps we will get to see Cyric murder Mystra somewhere in the trilogy. Perhaps we should start a scroll for The Crystal Mountain.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  02:05:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranak

Since a cleric of Cyric made an appearance at the end of Book I, perhaps we will get to see Cyric murder Mystra somewhere in the trilogy. Perhaps we should start a scroll for The Crystal Mountain.

A scroll doesn't get started for a book until the month that said book is coming out.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  02:38:53  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought it was an interesting book. The writing style did appeal to me, and I found it an easy read. Rino and Ranak are right, it does come off as sci-fi-ish. Especially the teleportation parts.

Still, I wonder what will happen with Star Elves in 4e, the book does set them up for destruction. I began to suspect that the Nilshai were part of Aberration World shortly after their introduction.

I also began to wonder which character will Bruce Cordell write about next. He has a trend of writing about a minor character from his previous book as the main character of his next book. It could be either Gage or Raidon. Probably Raidon as he searches for his mother and runs into the other sorcerer brother, though a story about Gage and his demonic friend could also be intriguing.

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  02:47:26  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati
I also began to wonder which character will Bruce Cordell write about next. He has a trend of writing about a minor character from his previous book as the main character of his next book. It could be either Gage or Raidon. Probably Raidon as he searches for his mother and runs into the other sorcerer brother, though a story about Gage and his demonic friend could also be intriguing.

Also, someone will have to become a Keeper to replace Telerian. I hope it is not Raidon, I think he deserves a story of his own. If not a book, then perhaps a short story in a Realms anthology.

The Demon that tried to claim Gage was probably not destroyed permanently, like Ertu I think we will see him again.
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  23:11:20  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently finished this book and wanted to come by and say that I had enjoyed it very much. Having recently gone through my old Lovecraft books, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself reading something almost...residing in the same mythos. (In fact, if Bruce happens to swing by, would he mind saying whether he was inspired by such stories?). Made me want to go out and get the "Lords of Madness" book just to learn more about Aboleths and the like. The addition of Cynosure, a psyonic construct, was just icing on the cake for me. Hope to see many more stories like this.

Spoilers!!!

I was sad to see though that Kiril remains a slave to her former lover's memory. If anyone needed "release" in this story, it was her. I was actually hoping Gage might be the person to help her move on. Then again, given my previous allusion to Lovecraft, it seems fitting.

The Wanderer

Edited by - The Wanderer on 10 Nov 2007 23:14:46
Go to Top of Page

BruceCordell
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

22 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  04:40:16  Show Profile  Visit BruceCordell's Homepage Send BruceCordell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, glad most of you enjoyed the book! I am especially glad that, while initially suspicious of Cynosure the sentient idol-warden of Stardeep, many of you ended up liking the story as a whole.

Your comments were especially nice to read after having just gone to Amazon to find that my perennial critic "BeezerMN" had given me a 1 out of 5 stars. So, really, thanks :-)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  04:52:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. Bruce, Beezer always trashes Ed Greenwood's books, too, so at least you're in good company. (Myself, I think Beezer, who is or was a moderator on Bob Salvatore's boards, has this personal mission to ensure that Bob, and only Bob, is seen as the fictional voice of the Realms, and everyone else has to be demolished. Repeatedly.)
If it makes you feel any better, I liked Stardeep, and I know Ed did, too (if he hasn't told you yet, it's probably because his father's death has temporarily thrown him for a loop).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

BeezerMN
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  05:08:13  Show Profile  Visit BeezerMN's Homepage Send BeezerMN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

(Myself, I think Beezer, who is or was a moderator on Bob Salvatore's boards, has this personal mission to ensure that Bob, and only Bob, is seen as the fictional voice of the Realms, and everyone else has to be demolished. Repeatedly.)

I take some offense to that Hooded one.

Lets look at some of my recent Realms reviews.

The Orc King 4 out of 5

Shadowstorm 5 out of 5
Depths of Madness 4 out of 5
Ghostwalker 5 out of 5
Sacrifice of the Widow 4 out of 5
Shadowbred 5 out of 5

Hardly 'demolishing' everyone else.

I do not review books to 'up' an authors standing, nor do I review them to 'knock' an author. I always write my honest opinion of the books I read. I have never 'kissed up' to an author to make them feel better about their book. If I like it I say so and if I don't then I say so.

In fact, Ed's latest book I gave 3 out of 5 to. Is a 3 out of 5 bashing a book?

I just did not like Stardeep at all. If that makes Mr. Cordell upset, I apologize. However, if I was an author I would want to know what readers really think about my books. I think I did a decent job of explaining why I didn't like it.

To me the book felt really sci-fi and that is not what I have come to expect from a Forgotten Realms novel. It's too 'out there'.

If you want to bash my review, you have every right to do so. But, please, do not bash my intentions. Because you are off base.
Go to Top of Page

laethyn
Acolyte

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  06:12:54  Show Profile  Visit laethyn's Homepage Send laethyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, if I felt that Beezer had some sort of agenda, I would remove his Admin status from Bob Salvatore's Messageboard.

Also, form your own opinions regarding this, but here is a full list of his Realms novel reviews

quote:
Shadowbred - 5/5
The Orc King - 5/5
Shadowbred - 5/5
Ghostwalker - 5/5
Shadowstorm - 5/5

Depths of Madness - 4/5
Sacrifice of the Widow - 4/5
Road of the Patriarch - 4/5
Final Gate - 4/5
Midnight's Mask - 4/5
Master of Chains - 4/5
Promise of the Witch King - 4/5

Swords of Dragonfire - 3/5
The Howling Delve - 3/5
The Gossamer Plain - 3/5
Unclean - 3/5
Frostfell - 3/5
Lies of Light - 3/5
Vanity's Brood - 3/5
Whisper of Waves - 3/5

Storm of the Dead - 2/5
Scream of Stone - 2/5
Darkvision - 2/5
Swords of Eveningstar - 2/5
Bloodwalk - 2/5
Blackstaff - 2/5
Bladesinger - 2/5
The Ruin - 2/5
Son of Thunder - 2/5
Queen of Depths - 2/5

Stardeep - 1/5

As for Stardeep. Personally, I felt it was an average Realms novel. I've certainly read worse, and certainly read better. I don't agree entirely with Beezer's rating (and I will bring him around to be a Greenwood lover if it kills me!), but I would certainly not go so far as stating it was part of some sort of agenda.
Go to Top of Page

BruceCordell

22 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  07:05:43  Show Profile  Visit BruceCordell's Homepage Send BruceCordell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry folks, I did not intend to spark off a flame war. I was just coming by to say thank you for the nice comments.

BeezerMN, I apologize for characterizing you as my 'perennial critic.' I didn't realize you posted here and would thus of course defend your review. You obviously have a certain taste in Realms fiction. I have purposefully and consciously chosen to write Stardeep (and Darkvision for that matter) in a style that transgresses Realms norms because said style appeals to my sense of pace and energy. I shouldn't be so surprised, and yes, initially upset, that some people find that transgression wrenching rather than transformative. We each have our own sense of good and bad fiction, and you have every right to slam Stardeep with the lowest possible rating. While that still seems slightly harsh to me, I don't want to foster an antagonistic relationship with you or any Realms fan. So... Peace?
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  12:15:54  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am really enjoying this book because it is different.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  16:16:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm enjoying the book too for its characters, as well as it's solid (if somewhat predictable) storyline. Is it "too sci/fi" for the Realms? I'd say yes--at times, (especially the parts with Cynosure) I feel like I'm reading a spacey Star Trek-type novel. But for me, the parts of the book that I do enjoy overcome that.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 14 Nov 2007 16:17:22
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2007 :  01:39:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fair enough, Beezer. If I am wrong about your intentions, I apologize. I formed that opinion based on many of your comments on Amazon and Bob's boards over the years, and your words to Faraer in that latter place - - and it was, as I said, what I thought. So: sorry. I'll start over and take a fresh look at your reviews, henceforth.
For what it's worth, folks, Ed and Bob are good friends and think highly of each other's writing - - and have very different styles. Just as Bruce Cordell has said he was striving for, above. As Ed said back in 1986, the greater variety of dishes on the buffet, the better for all.
love,
THO
P.S. I will probably fall silent tomorrow and Friday (Ed's father's funeral).
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2007 :  02:15:54  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished at lunch today. As a whole I really enjoyed the read. Nice pace, not to frantic, in no way to slow! I hate to sound like an echo chamber, but Cynosure did not work well for me at all. Way to omnipotent for my taste. Along with the seemingly limitless teleportation abilities, ability to split its conscious into so many parts while retaining full "powers", ability to shape the dungeons physical properties, he/she also has very powerful clerical healing abilities. It seemed as if Cynosure was actually the entirety of Stardeep. Which makes him seem way to powerful to comprehend. It left my mind reeling trying to figure out how many ultra powerful spells would have to be woven together to create him. I found it in my thinking to be impossible.
That said, Bruce did redeem Cynosure for me near the end when Telarian defeated his Guardian Statue above the throat. Something that
seemed unlikely due to Cynosure's Omnipotence in my mind's eye. It brought him down to a believable level for me that he needed the help of Gage to defeat the mad keeper.

I liked Gage and his perseverance very much. He was a well crafted character I would love to meet to the again.
Raidon (Though I kept thinking of the Monk Kane from The Sellswords series and Rayden from MK. I had this feeling he was going to score a fatality everytime he fought! ) was very likable as well, his quest for his family's honor gave him an insight into Kiril's relationship with her sword. He would not have told her to leave it if he been party what was going on with Kiril and Angul at the well. I would love to see his story continued after he helps Delphe reinstitute the safeguards of Stardeep.

I actually feel that Kiril taking hold of Angul to mean she has a new perspective and when she let Angulis go again, she let the darkness his loss caused in her to go with him. That darkness is what enslved her to the blade. With her soul mended I see her as able to able to deal with Angul instead of running from him to her liquor. I would love to see her and Gage help Raidon find his mother and figure out what is going on in Sildeyuir.

Also was not a big fan of the Nilshai. Big shapeless masses with tentacles, green rays, etc.....brought to mind a "stripped down base model" Phaerrim(sp?)

P.S.

Absolutely loved the Edgewarden....very disappointed he did not show up again.....What an interesting book indeed would one be that included him.

Bruce I would rate this as tie With Lady of Poison for my favorite of your novels! Overall I enjoy your characters and how they develop.

P.S.S.

Bruce you deserve a great big slap on the back and a pint if ever we meet for something you did not do in this book. Most author's would have taken Raidon's family sword and ran with it. You made it a simple good Daito. No flames, no special ability to cut through stone or undead. Nothing that would have made you job writing easier. Bravo. One uber-weapon is more than enough, I am glad you did not fill out your characters with magic weapons for crutches. Although the Gauntlets were a very cool and powerful tool for Gage, you did well to limit them early by flaming one of them!

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2007 :  02:14:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Bruce you deserve a great big slap on the back and a pint if ever we meet for something you did not do in this book. Most author's would have taken Raidon's family sword and ran with it. You made it a simple good Daito. No flames, no special ability to cut through stone or undead. Nothing that would have made you job writing easier. Bravo. One uber-weapon is more than enough, I am glad you did not fill out your characters with magic weapons for crutches. Although the Gauntlets were a very cool and powerful tool for Gage, you did well to limit them early by flaming one of them!

Great points, there.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  00:34:58  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Great points, there.

High praise indeed!! Thank you milady!

It was quite satisfying that with all the magical powers (Cynosure, Angul, Nis) That the fat of all of Faerun was decided by....

a plain old dagger in the back.

Small things can make a difference!

Go to Top of Page

nb_nmare
Acolyte

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  15:23:11  Show Profile  Visit nb_nmare's Homepage Send nb_nmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker
Also was not a big fan of the Nilshai. Big shapeless masses with tentacles, green rays, etc.....brought to mind a "stripped down base model" Phaerrim(sp?)

I hope you realise the Nilshai predate this novel? AFAIK they were first mentioned in the Unapproachable East sourcebook, and both they and the realm of Sildëyuir featured in the Last Mythal trilogy (specifically book 2, Farthest Reach).

You're right that they bear some similarities with the phaerimm, but considering Stardeep's revelation that nilshai are servants/allies of the aboleths, perhaps the phaerimm are somehow a part of this extended "family" too? For example, phaerimm and nilshai could both have been servitors (and even creations) of the aboleths during their empire, much as the Sarrukh had various servitor races.

Many aspects of Stardeep seem to be adapted from the non-FR Lords of Madness sourcebook, particularly the "ancient aboleth empire" and the Keepers of the Cerulean Sign, so if you decide to utilize other lore from that book maybe phaerimm and nilshai are creations of the same alien deity/Elder Evil. They could even be descendants of the Blood Queen, the Elder Evil who spawned the aboleths.

Lords of Madness also states that the nilshai are worshippers of Mak Thuum Ngatha, an entity of the Far Plane also venerated by tsochari and psurlons, so in your personal campaign you could tie in that place and/or those creatures with Stardeep's aboleth and nilshai-related shenanigans (for that matter you could also include shaboath, since those beings are creations of the aboleths).

Edited by - nb_nmare on 17 Nov 2007 16:42:43
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  20:59:06  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nb_nmare

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I hope you realise the Nilshai predate this novel? AFAIK they were first mentioned in the Unapproachable East sourcebook, and both they and the realm of Sildëyuir featured in the Last Mythal trilogy (specifically book 2, Farthest Reach).

You're right that they bear some similarities with the phaerimm, but considering Stardeep's revelation that nilshai are servants/allies of the aboleths, perhaps the phaerimm are somehow a part of this extended "family" too? For example, phaerimm and nilshai could both have been servitors (and even creations) of the aboleths during their empire, much as the Sarrukh had various servitor races.

Many aspects of Stardeep seem to be adapted from the non-FR Lords of Madness sourcebook, particularly the "ancient aboleth empire" and the Keepers of the Cerulean Sign, so if you decide to utilize other lore from that book maybe phaerimm and nilshai are creations of the same alien deity/Elder Evil. They could even be descendants of the Blood Queen, the Elder Evil who spawned the aboleths.

Lords of Madness also states that the nilshai are worshippers of Mak Thuum Ngatha, an entity of the Far Plane also venerated by tsochari and psurlons, so in your personal campaign you could tie in that place and/or those creatures with Stardeep's aboleth and nilshai-related shenanigans (for that matter you could also include shaboath, since those beings are creations of the aboleths).

I had a feeling they did , but wasn't sure,(Hazard of only reading novels I guess) but they felt somehow related to them.

Go to Top of Page

Ramar
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2007 :  20:47:41  Show Profile  Visit Ramar's Homepage Send Ramar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed the novel a lot Bruce. I have a few comments/questions:

(1) Is the existence of the Aboleth Sovereignty's city reference in any previous or soon to come realm lore?
(2) Is Kiril a keeper of the seal or merely a high ranking knight? Do you see membership in the keep of the cerelean seal prestige class as being necessary for a keeper?
(3) Are the signs in FR minor artifacts? The inability of the keepers to make them seem to point in that direction.
(4) I really like your view of moral ambiguity in the "rightness" that Angul sees in exercising its duties. Was this merely an application of the idea that intelligent weapons are extremely restricted in their views or something more?

Keep up the good work.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2007 :  21:10:29  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ramar
(2) Is Kiril a keeper of the seal or merely a high ranking knight? Do you see membership in the keep of the cerelean seal prestige class as being necessary for a keeper?

Not Bruce, but I can answer this in part--Kiril was in fact a Keeper.

Go to Top of Page

BruceCordell

22 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2007 :  20:34:25  Show Profile  Visit BruceCordell's Homepage Send BruceCordell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ramar

I enjoyed the novel a lot Bruce. I have a few comments/questions:

(1) Is the existence of the Aboleth Sovereignty's city reference in any previous or soon to come realm lore?
(3) Are the signs in FR minor artifacts? The inability of the keepers to make them seem to point in that direction.
(4) I really like your view of moral ambiguity in the "rightness" that Angul sees in exercising its duties. Was this merely an application of the idea that intelligent weapons are extremely restricted in their views or something more?

Keep up the good work.

Thanks! In answer:

1) Soon to come realms lore.
2) Kiril was a past Keeper of the Cerulean Sign. In the novel, the lines are blurred between a Keeper (a sanctioned 'warden' of the Stardeep dungeon) and a Keeper of the Cerulean Sign (someone pledged to fight aberrations using specific lore and sometimes, tools, as might be the case for a prestige class). From a novel perspective, I don't see it's necessary for one to have the prestige class to be a Keeper of Stardeep. On the game side, it's also not necessary to even have heard of the Traitor and Stardeep to be prestige class member of the organization--one could be a self-taught Keeper using lore old books chance-found, for instance.
3) Yes, the amulet Delphe had and Raidon yet retains are artifacts. Having one of those would allow you to access Cerulean Sign powers even if you did not train as a Keeper (in either novel or game sense).
4) It is an indictment of absolute certainty in any realm. To be absolutely certain without the ability to examine new evidence or change one's mind is one of the fatal flaws of human beings. A sword with Angul's specific traits is an ideal showcase for such stratified dogma in action. I'm glad Angul's greater self made an appearance for a time to give the blade a moral face at the end.
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2007 :  12:38:15  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed this book. Aberrations as a major threat to the realms has long been one of my favourite themes and it was good to see that theme finally making it into an FR Novel.

As soon as Cynosure was introduced I was thinking 'Hal, 2001' and I'm glad he turned out to not be the corrupt architect of the piece after all.

Bruce, can you tell us any more about the Traitor (doubtful, but it's worth asking)? Like, how old is the Traitor? When did they 'fall' to the corruption of the Aboleth Sovereignty? Their original name?
Go to Top of Page

BruceCordell

22 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2007 :  05:42:36  Show Profile  Visit BruceCordell's Homepage Send BruceCordell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

I really enjoyed this book. Aberrations as a major threat to the realms has long been one of my favourite themes and it was good to see that theme finally making it into an FR Novel.

As soon as Cynosure was introduced I was thinking 'Hal, 2001' and I'm glad he turned out to not be the corrupt architect of the piece after all.

Bruce, can you tell us any more about the Traitor (doubtful, but it's worth asking)? Like, how old is the Traitor? When did they 'fall' to the corruption of the Aboleth Sovereignty? Their original name?

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

As far as the Traitor goes, he turned bad right around the founding of Sildeyuir. It is currently unrevealed what the Traitor found that led him to become so enamored of the Sovereignty. His original name is stricken, but more likely, everyone currently alive has just forgotten it, though perhaps the Edgewarden knows.
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2007 :  17:35:58  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good read! I like Kiril's character. All of the characters were intriguing... Mr. Cordell, I have enjoyed all of your novels. I would like to see a novel of yours bring together some of your past and previous characters. A combination of the cleric of Lurue (what's his name?)Kiril, Raidon and your Imaskar mage would be fun... I really want you to continue the story of Sildeyuir... Will the remaining Star Elves be forced back to Faerun? Will they call on aid from Evermeet? How about Kiril leads a company of Empyrean Knights to Sildeyuir to aid in the struggle? After all, the Nilshai are servants of the Aboleth's, so it seems natural to take the fight to them... Angul is a very potent weapon against them and, hopefully, will be brought to bear in the struggle for Sildeyuir...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2007 :  21:33:54  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadowJack

Very good read! I like Kiril's character. All of the characters were intriguing... Mr. Cordell, I have enjoyed all of your novels. I would like to see a novel of yours bring together some of your past and previous characters. A combination of the cleric of Lurue (what's his name?)Kiril, Raidon and your Imaskar mage would be fun... I really want you to continue the story of Sildeyuir... Will the remaining Star Elves be forced back to Faerun? Will they call on aid from Evermeet? How about Kiril leads a company of Empyrean Knights to Sildeyuir to aid in the struggle? After all, the Nilshai are servants of the Aboleth's, so it seems natural to take the fight to them... Angul is a very potent weapon against them and, hopefully, will be brought to bear in the struggle for Sildeyuir...

Merrik (sp?) was a nice character.(liked his weapon being a spear, very unusual for a priest.

Kiril is a great character who story is begging to be told further!

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2007 :  01:56:50  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

Stardeep was a fun novel. Kiril is a great character that resonates with me more strongly than say Ususi or Marrec. I'd really like to read more about her, if even only in a short story.

But what I really want to know... is the name of that ancient god of the vine, whose deranged face is carved on the side of Kiril's flask.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2007 :  17:21:45  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ignore BeezerNM.
I enjoyed Stardeep very much. Ill post a full review later

Edited by - Firestorm on 14 Dec 2007 17:23:10
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2008 :  18:52:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just want to say I was *really* surprised and saddened when Adrik died. I did not see that coming at all.

OK, it was likely to happen but I kept thinking he'd somehow pull through.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 02 Jan 2008 18:53:45
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  12:41:27  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I just want to say I was *really* surprised and saddened when Adrik died. I did not see that coming at all.

OK, it was likely to happen but I kept thinking he'd somehow pull through.

It was like a cliche. The ever hungry mage for informations. A fight breaks out, the mage goes down. Mage gets healing, fight breaks out, the mage goes down. Nobody to heal the mage, mage dies.
:-)
Sad for Adrik, I liked him very much. But it`s a hart world out there *g*
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  15:58:56  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was nice to read up on Star Elves also

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000