Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eytan Bernstein

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 06 Jul 2006 : 08:45:18
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a game designer of the Realms, namely - Eytan Bernstein . Eytan has worked on the upcoming Dragons of Faerûn sourcebook.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this Realms master.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
EytanBernstein Posted - 06 Oct 2019 : 20:24:42
Thanks! I still get email notifications to this thread. Might take me a bit to respond, but I'm always happy to hear from people.
George Krashos Posted - 28 Sep 2019 : 08:49:09
Eytan isn’t active here at the Keep. But yes, his FR work was great.

— George Krashos
George Krashos Posted - 26 Sep 2019 : 22:22:51
Eytan isn’t active here at the Keep. But yes, his FR work was great.

— George Krashos
Duneth Despana Posted - 26 Sep 2019 : 14:26:16
I keep finding your articles archived at Wizards incredibly useful and just the right kind of realmslore. This time it's the psionic races!
Icelander Posted - 16 Aug 2018 : 00:23:31
I came across the unique Untheri 'tiefling' (abishai-descended human/outsider/dragonic being) and dragonfire adept/warlock Nevelaster Rellicraun.

I'm thinking about using him in my campaign set in Unther. Most of the PCs are now in Unthalass, but they have bases in Messemprar and Shussel, as well as reasons to visit Red Haven, Sadamzar and most other areas of Uther, eventually. My game is set in 1373 DR, with the PCs commanding mercenary armies and navies fighting on behalf of 'Free Unther', i.e. a fragile allegiance of everyone from the Northern Wizards from Messemprar to surviving nobles and military leaders from Gilgeam's old regime to Banites, the Cult of the Dragon, Tiamat cultists, Zhentarim, Furifax's Grey Ghosts and many others.

I was wondering how you saw Nevelaster Rellicraun fitting into the faith of Tiamat as it morphs from an underground revolutionary cultic society into a powerful organisation that believes absolutely in their right to rule Unther.

For example; do you see Nevelaster Rellicraun as being young, having come to the knowledge of the Tiamat cultists only after the Time of Troubles (making him likely born around 1346 DR, when the aspect of Tiamat known as the Dark Lady was successfully summoned to Unther, heralding the rapid rise of the newest incarnation of the faith in that land)?

And do you see him as having grown up in a rural area of Unther, hidden away from the God-King Gilgeam, or was he hidden in plain sight, in the great (if decaying) capital city of Unthalass?

And the surname he uses, is that an adopted one for purposes of camouflage or the real name of his non-infernal parent?

Any other thoughts you have on him would be welcome.

If you haven't any preference, I was thinking about having him be around 25-27 of age, handsome and seductive (if, as with most Tiamat worshippers, you didn't mind a touch of the infernal and dragonic), but having to wear a cowl to disguise his features if he wanted to pass for 'normal'.
EytanBernstein Posted - 05 Aug 2015 : 17:33:50
You're very welcome.
Duneth Despana Posted - 05 Aug 2015 : 08:57:20
Thank you very much for the swift answer!
EytanBernstein Posted - 05 Aug 2015 : 02:39:01
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

I think I already praised you for your Class Chronicles articles earlier, but I think it deserves another round (namely the duskblade and binder entries)!
My question is about the binder article: Where would you place Citadel Yaunoroth that's mentioned in it (as in 'quite precisely on a map')? Thanks in advance!

I wish I could give you something more specific, but it's really hard to say. I see the Underdark as a subterranean jungle. When a dwarven, drow, or gnome or other humanoid civilization is built there, then abandoned or ruined, the Underdark has a tendency to reclaim it.

The most specific I think I could get is that it is somewhere within Ammarindar, with the Graypeak Mountains as an above ground reference point. I'm somewhat far removed from the materials, however, so I could be wildly off.

I can say that it must be an unpleasant place indeed if spirits of greed related to Abbathor, the dwarven deity of avarice, haunt the ruins.
Duneth Despana Posted - 04 Aug 2015 : 22:31:23
I think I already praised you for your Class Chronicles articles earlier, but I think it deserves another round (namely the duskblade and binder entries)!
My question is about the binder article: Where would you place Citadel Yaunoroth that's mentioned in it (as in 'quite precisely on a map')? Thanks in advance!
EytanBernstein Posted - 06 Nov 2012 : 04:47:26
Unless Eric has something I don't know about, I think the answer to your question is no.

As for more info on the deities, I would just use the 2E sources.
Razz Posted - 06 Nov 2012 : 03:27:01
Yes I was aware of all of that. My question was whether there were written lore for the book on the details of each draconic deity, their place in the Realms, and their domains, alignment, portfolios, etc. Mainly, an update to what was shown in the 2E Draconomicon. For example, can we be told who exactly is Zorquan?

Granted, most of the well known draconic deities can be ported from what was provided in the 3E Draconomicon such as Task, Hlal, Garyx, etc. But what can we be told of Kalzareinad, Kereska, Zorquan for example.
EytanBernstein Posted - 03 Nov 2012 : 23:26:43
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

I am surprised I didn't ask this right away when Dragons of Faerun was released but here it is now.

The original description of DoF on the WotC website was that there would be updated information on the Draconic Pantheon and half-dragons in the Realms. Sadly, I noticed that entire section was cut from DoF and, even more tragic, it was never made into a Web Enhancement.

I am sure that was something Eric Boyd wrote, but is it possible for either of you two to share that cut information? An update to the Draconic Pantheon is sorely needed for the Realms and it would be great to see it surface here since it is all but forgotten by the powers that be.

It's true, assuming memory isn't failing me, that there is not specific section in the book (or a web enhancement) dealing with the draconic pantheon. But scattered throughout the book is a lot of information about some of the major dragon deities. There is a whole section devoted to Tiamat and plenty about Xymor (Bahamut). The Cliffs of Karthaut adventure features worshippers of Kalzareinad and an artifact sacred to the draconic demigod. There is a lot of information about the worship of Tchazzar and also how to worship other dragon ascendants and demi-deities.

The Dragons of Faerun web enhancement "New Draconic Monsters" features a type of undead dragon known as hoarders that animate their own treasure hoards. They are described as worshipping Task. Another source of some information about draconic deities is the Class Chronicles article that describes Dragonfire Adepts.

As for half-dragons, you're correct that they aren't heavily featured in the book. In the Cliffs of Karthaut, there is a character, Vargo Kent, who first transforms himself into a half-dragon, and then becomes a half-dracolich. There is also a side-bar on half-dragon and draconic hobogoblins in the Realms who belong to the Blood of Morueme. There's a side bar on Scions of the Old One which describes half-black dragons of House Orogoth.
Razz Posted - 03 Nov 2012 : 19:46:58
I am surprised I didn't ask this right away when Dragons of Faerun was released but here it is now.

The original description of DoF on the WotC website was that there would be updated information on the Draconic Pantheon and half-dragons in the Realms. Sadly, I noticed that entire section was cut from DoF and, even more tragic, it was never made into a Web Enhancement.

I am sure that was something Eric Boyd wrote, but is it possible for either of you two to share that cut information? An update to the Draconic Pantheon is sorely needed for the Realms and it would be great to see it surface here since it is all but forgotten by the powers that be.
EytanBernstein Posted - 26 Sep 2012 : 16:57:32
quote:

Wow! that was quite a swift reply! Thank you so much! It was indeed that very article that had made me so curious about Krefeldithian, his life, his artifacts and the curse he'd cast upon the volamtar. I can't wait to implement this in my campaign. A piece of Netherese lore that my party of archeologist, I suspect, don't even know OOC. Excellent! Thank you again, I was going to say keep up the good work... But I guess WotC are not bringing freelancers onto the Realms before after the DnD Next FR-launch. Either way: All the best!

Thanks. I'm not currently working on any D&D Next Realms, though you never know what the future holds. But I can promise that there are very knowledgeable people involved in shaping the direction of the Realms in the future.
Duneth Despana Posted - 26 Sep 2012 : 16:49:27
Wow! that was quite a swift reply! Thank you so much! It was indeed that very article that had made me so curious about Krefeldithian, his life, his artifacts and the curse he'd cast upon the volamtar. I can't wait to implement this in my campaign. A piece of Netherese lore that my party of archeologist, I suspect, don't even know OOC. Excellent! Thank you again, I was going to say keep up the good work... But I guess WotC are not bringing freelancers onto the Realms before after the DnD Next FR-launch. Either way: All the best!
EytanBernstein Posted - 21 Sep 2012 : 15:03:22
quote:

Hoping that this scroll is still sometimes consulted:
Great work, Eytan! Both the Dragons of Faerûn and Class Chronicles are fantastic.

I would love to hear you elaborate more on the Netherese artifacts (and curse!) that the volamtar , that you describe in your class chronicles, found in the Fardrimm. What is the name of the spellbook, what do the chair and hourglass do?

I did a little digging, so here is the original text (which is available for free at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606). We'll just use that as a jumping off point.

A small band of volamtar -- dwarves who patrol trails between dwarven and human settlements in the name of Marthammor Duin -- has been frightening travelers who traverse the pass between Sundabar and Silverymoon. They call themselves the Trailfinders of the Pass. Merchants staying in Auvendell claim to have seen and spoken to the group, and testify that the dwarves were affected by bizarre magic that caused them to blink in and out of sight. Unbeknownst to the travelers, the dwarves were under the effect of a Netherese curse.

The enterprising volamtar are multiclassed factotum/clerics led by Elmenhardt Gundergrlim (CG male shield dwarf factotum 4/cleric 3 [Marthammor Duin]). Their unusual plight arose when the dwarven merchant Rurik Silverhilt hired them to clear out the underground tunnels believed to have once been the Low Road. In those depths, they discovered a breach in the sealed way station that led to buried Netheril. To their surprise, the chamber beyond the breach was intact. In the chamber, they found several unfamiliar items of unknown power, including an ancient hourglass, a massive spellbook, and a magical chair.

Unfortunately, their presence drew the attention of the ghosts of Netherese who had died when they were sealed behind the gate. One of the ghosts, a powerful chronomancer by the name of Krefeldithian (not to be confused with The Chronomancer , Jeriah Chronos), cursed the dwarves. This unusual curse causes them to blink out of time whenever they try to explain what they saw or return to the tunnels.

The stricken dwarves fled the chamber, unable to take any of the items with them except for a single map of the region. Now they wander the Silverymoon Pass, trying to rid themselves of the curse.

-----------

I think the important thing to consider about Volamtar is that they are, for lack of a better term, weird. The dwarves think they got poisoned on some bad ale and started worshipping the less desirable deity Marthammor Duin. He favors dwarven travelers, who have left the dwarfholds. Other dwarves find this disconcerting and odd. Marthammor best friend is Dugmaren Brightmantle, who dwarves think is an even more strange and undisciplined deity.

So to summarize, followers of Marthammor Duin are already strange, at least by the standards of their race. The effect of the Netherese time curse has only made them act more weird. Because of that, they haven't received much aid from their dwarven brethren, who not only don't care so much, but also don't really perceive much of a change in the Volamtar.

As to the three items, it is quite likely that the spellbook contains lost chronomany spells. Unfortunately, the capacity to cast such spells is lost and the dwarves are afflicted with a chronomancy curse. Some of their allies among the worshippers of Dugmaren believe that they cannot lift the curse because they lack Heavy Magic. Either way, the secrets of chronomancy are beyond them and those Volamtar may be afflicted indefinitely. Fortunately, they don't seem to be aging much, not that it's helped them.

As for the chair and hourglass, the priesthood of Dugmaren suspects that these objects allow for, or were perhaps experiments in, time travel. But they have been wary of trying to study them for fear of meeting the spirit of the Chronomancer or running into other Netherese traps.
Duneth Despana Posted - 21 Sep 2012 : 12:13:33
Hoping that this scroll is still sometimes consulted:
Great work, Eytan! Both the Dragons of Faerûn and Class Chronicles are fantastic.

I would love to hear you elaborate more on the Netherese artifacts (and curse!) that the volamtar , that you describe in your class chronicles, found in the Fardrimm. What is the name of the spellbook, what do the chair and hourglass do?
EytanBernstein Posted - 03 Nov 2009 : 00:14:18
Sorry to take so long to reply to your question. I'm currently working on something major and completely outside the realm and scope of anything I've ever done before, so my online presence has really dwindled down into nothingness. I'm not ready to reveal anything about what it is and who else is involved (though the "who" in question is quite familiar to you all), but I hope to be able to drop some tidbits soon enough.

A quick update on my ankle. I'm about 90% of the way there. It still hurts a fair bit some days, but I can walk quite a bit more and better than I did before the surgery and my ankle doesn't collapse and give way like it did before.

I don't know if there are any plans to do an Arcane Power 2. I'm not a WotC staffer, so I don't have any inside knowledge about production schedules beyond the products I'm working on, and I'm bound by NDAs on those (and rightly so). Given the cyclical nature of D&D editions, I think there are good odds that we'll see another book dedicated to arcane magic at some point, though I don't know what it will be called. And I'd be really surprised if we didn't see the bladesinger. When playing around with swordmage builds for Arcane Power, the bladesinger was definitely a driving force in the design, but somewhere in the course of design and development, things changed and the ensnaring bladesinger was a more logical extension of the mechanics that had been designed. I think we'll probably see a bladesinger eventually, but your guess is as good as mine as to when and in what incarnation it will appear.
Diffan Posted - 20 Aug 2009 : 00:42:27
Greetings to you Eytan.

I'm glad to hear your recovering from surgery and my best wishes to you.

One question I had posted on another thread here at CK was about Bladesingers and their role in 4e.

So, I'm assuming by the MM2 write up of eladirn and their "bladesinger" monster, there will probably be a Bladesinger paragon path.

My question is will we see this in DDI or physical book form (ie. Arcane Powers 2)?
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 02 Aug 2009 : 18:14:02
Email sent. Hope I can help.
Brian R. James Posted - 02 Aug 2009 : 17:29:21
Welcome back Eytan. I look forward to seeing you again at Gen Con.
The Sage Posted - 02 Aug 2009 : 00:56:34
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

If anyone thinks they can help with a website, please let me know as I am really rather limited when it comes to web design. If anyone wants to contact me, my current e-mail is eytan.bernstein@yahoo.com.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to fully help out with something like this. But I'd happily act as a sounding board for those with ideas about restructuring your site.
EytanBernstein Posted - 01 Aug 2009 : 21:53:38
Hi. I just wanted to let you guys know that I am indeed still alive. I have cut back on my online forum participation pretty dramatically in the last year mainly for health reasons. I had to have quite major ankle surgery this year and am just getting fairly close to walking again, in addition to a few other things. I will be at Gen Con this year (assuming all the physio and hard work pays out as I expect it will, and assuming I dig myself out from the MASSIVE heap of work I am doing).

I am still doing lots of design work, though there has been a shift in the kinds of things I'm doing. Still expect plenty of D&D products, including a couple of Realms articles and DDI tidbits here and there, as well as some things for Goodman Games.

On another note, I'll be closing down my website because I'm not really happy with it and don't have time to maintain it as is. If anyone thinks they can help with a website, please let me know as I am really rather limited when it comes to web design. If anyone wants to contact me, my current e-mail is eytan.bernstein@yahoo.com.
Lord Karsus Posted - 02 Dec 2008 : 05:21:02
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

Think about how bladesingers would be if they were drafted into the army and drilled for generations. That's how duskblades are.

-Only if Colonel Blake wasn't their commanding officer. Couldn't instill a shred of discipline into some of those under his command, that one...
EytanBernstein Posted - 02 Dec 2008 : 02:21:07
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-I was indeed looking for "3.5e" info. That tidbit should suffice, as I'm probably only going to be giving a paragraph or so- if even- for this "lost" style, so thank you.

Think about how bladesingers would be if they were drafted into the army and drilled for generations. That's how duskblades are.
Lord Karsus Posted - 30 Nov 2008 : 03:36:25
-I was indeed looking for "3.5e" info. That tidbit should suffice, as I'm probably only going to be giving a paragraph or so- if even- for this "lost" style, so thank you.
EytanBernstein Posted - 30 Nov 2008 : 03:33:08
quote:

-Another question, again from the Class Chronicles article, this time on Duskblades, if you don't mind. With the Bladesinger analogue/"alternative" presented in the article, how would you explain the combat tactics and such that the Nael'Kerym/]H'ei'Yal Drathinmaleé used in battle (if you feel comfortable answering)? I'm just doing some research into different combat styles and tactics and stuff that Elves have developed over the years, and, just something I was wondering, that I'd like to keep in mind when I begin assembling everything and putting thoughts to paper/keyboard.

If you keep an eye out, I think you'll find some more information about fighting styles of bladesinger/duskblade/swordmages in 2009 that will help to answer some of your questions. Any more than that, however, and I would probably be violating 6 or 7 different NDAs.

If you're looking for purely 3.5 speculation, I'd suggest that the duskblades of the Realms are more militant than the bladesingers. Their style is more heavy, a little bit less finesse and grace, replaced by a lot more discipline and regimentation. A bladesinger is more carefree and unpredictable. A duskblade is more rigid and precise.
Lord Karsus Posted - 29 Nov 2008 : 23:22:48
-Another question, again from the Class Chronicles article, this time on Duskblades, if you don't mind. With the Bladesinger analogue/"alternative" presented in the article, how would you explain the combat tactics and such that the Nael'Kerym/]H'ei'Yal Drathinmaleé used in battle (if you feel comfortable answering)? I'm just doing some research into different combat styles and tactics and stuff that Elves have developed over the years, and, just something I was wondering, that I'd like to keep in mind when I begin assembling everything and putting thoughts to paper/keyboard.
EytanBernstein Posted - 10 Jun 2008 : 04:39:55
quote:

-Eytan, I was reading over your Class Chronicles: Beguiler article, and noticed this tidbit: The chosen of that faith, Embrel Berrodwyn (NG Male Gnome Beguiler 4/Favored Soul 4/Mystic Theurge 10) is rumored to be close to Baravar's goal of concealing all gnomes from detection.

-Does that mean that this individual is a chosen, as in a Chosen?

I was leaving that purposefully ambiguous because I wasn't sure (and still am not sure) what was happening with that particular god or chosen in general. It was my intention that he be the chosen of the Baravar Cloakshadow, but I couldn't say for certain what's happening now.
Lord Karsus Posted - 06 Jun 2008 : 05:29:14
-Eytan, I was reading over your Class Chronicles: Beguiler article, and noticed this tidbit: The chosen of that faith, Embrel Berrodwyn (NG Male Gnome Beguiler 4/Favored Soul 4/Mystic Theurge 10) is rumored to be close to Baravar's goal of concealing all gnomes from detection.

-Does that mean that this individual is a chosen, as in a Chosen?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000