Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Novels Indexed by Name, Place, etc.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rivan Posted - 29 Jun 2006 : 20:39:58
Hey folks. I'm looking to be directed to some sort of index, if one exists beyond the minds of the sages on this board, for Forgotten Realms novels and sourcebooks searchable by say, notable characters, places, and events.

As one example, I came across Eltargrim in the prologue to Elminster in Myth Drannor and wondered whether anything about him appeared in works that preceded the story in the novel, chronologically speaking, and whether maybe it would be worth checking that out before I continued reading.

Thanks for your help.

Off-Topic: I just finished Elminster: The Making of a Mage and quite enjoyed it. It makes Elminster out to be even more cheesey than I had thought before, but it was fun.

"Fireballs... always fireballs, can't the young cast anything else?" Anyone know who this Magister is and where else I can find info on him?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SirUrza Posted - 01 Jul 2006 : 13:41:45
Yes, you're forget a few shortstories featuring Elminster. Though reading the Best of Ed will get you those.. and there was a very recent Dragon shortstory where Ed was manservant to the superpowers of D&D. It was quite funny. :)
EvilKnight Posted - 30 Jun 2006 : 03:26:33
RF has a point. For instance, the books involving Drizzt would not read as well in chronological order but are good in published order (discovering the character as the author discovers him)

Eltargrim from the Danali Index (all sources where the name is at least mentioned):
C-EoE: 18, 20, 24, 27, 28 (Cormanthyr- Empire of the Elves)
Dr228: 26 (Dragon 228)
FoMD: 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 14, 17 (Fall of Myth Drannor)
FRCS: 118 (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting)
HK: 5 (Hellgate Keep)
RoMD/CGtMD: 4, 5 (Ruins of Myth Drannor/Campaign Guide to Myth Drannor)
RtR: 15 (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting/Running the Realms)
VGtATM: 114 (Volo's Guide to All Things Magical)
Connections:
Dales Compact
FRCS: 118

There is no guarentee he isn't mentioned or written about elsewhere. It may be more than one character or place with the same name.

EvilKnight
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 30 Jun 2006 : 02:41:13
quote:
Originally posted by Rivan

As one example, I came across Eltargrim in the prologue to Elminster in Myth Drannor and wondered whether anything about him appeared in works that preceded the story in the novel, chronologically speaking, and whether maybe it would be worth checking that out before I continued reading.

You don't need to read books in chronological order to enjoy them. And to shed some more light on your question--Ed Greenwood's books skip around in time quite a lot...if you are too worried about reading other books before preceeding with his stories, you will most likely give yourself a headache.

So, just read the stories and let them wash over you. If you worry too much about "filling in the gaps", how will you enjoy yourself?
EvilKnight Posted - 30 Jun 2006 : 02:06:50
I have a project in the beginning stages that could help in the future. But the only novel done is The Glass Prison. See the scroll
http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4946&whichpage=2.

If your reading them anyway, why not jot down subjects for each chapter and send them to me for inclusion? You can get an idea of what I am doing at http://home.indy.rr.com/evilknight/

EvilKnight
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Jun 2006 : 23:37:41
quote:
Originally posted by Rivan

"Fireballs... always fireballs, can't the young cast anything else?" Anyone know who this Magister is and where else I can find info on him?

Which Magister? There's been a whole bunch of them, all detailed in the 2E book Secrets of the Magister.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000