Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Gods of Magic becoming active between ToT & SPlagu

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 26 Jan 2021 : 16:07:45
I've mentioned some of my theories here in the past, so I won't delve into them, but I'm curious about something.

We know that Savras became "free of the staff of Azuth" after the Time of Troubles.

We know that Amaunator was "being awakened" by Mystra after the Time of Troubles

We kind of see Karsus becoming "involved" in things via the karse stone being stolen after the Time of Troubles

We see Leira "dying" (or at least having her activities well hidden) after the time of troubles

We have Deneir (a god of magical symbols and in theory scribing spells into spellbooks) "dying" trying to save magic

We have Malyk (an "aspect" of Talos) both appearing and then dying during the time between the ToT and spellplague and then Talos disappeared after the SP

Are there any other "gods of magic" in the realms (even from other pantheons, including racial or other regions) that weren't really active prior to the ToT that suddenly became active OR who were active prior to the ToT and suddenly "went silent" with the spellplague.

To note here, I'm very open for a definition of god of magic, but it should be someone who does have some affinity to magic. For instance a god of bardic magic would fit the role (and finder might be such a being), etc... They also don't need to "serve mystra" and might even oppose her.

11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lord Karsus Posted - 29 Jan 2021 : 02:48:26
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

And yet there's also quotes (by Ed I believe) stating that travelling between the two worlds is actually possibly easier than going elsewhere from Toril. It may be EASY to do, but only if you know HOW to do it.

-I don't know if it being impossible to travel to and from was ever actually codified into the lore, as opposed to designers just saying so as a simple explanation to a massive problem in the retcon when the 4e rollout was taking place.
LordofBones Posted - 29 Jan 2021 : 01:36:01
To be fair, I'd think that most demipowers are very attentive to their clergy. Shaundakul, Savras, Velsharoon, Malyk, Auppenser and so on are basically the equivalents of small town family businesses while Talos, Mystra and Shar are megacorporation CEOs.

"MYSTRA SPOKE TO ME IN MY DREAMS!" is more likely to get a "That's nice, Hubert," while "SAVRAS APPEARED IN MY COFFEE" gets a "HOLY CRAP, CALL THE SHADOWDALE TIMES!"
Kentinal Posted - 27 Jan 2021 : 23:48:40
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Obviously he's a god and can do whatever he wants, but wasn't one of the big 4e design tenets (and mind you, I'm just going by fuzzy memories from when it first came out all those years ago), was that Abeir's actual status was very convoluted and as such, portals and ways to cross to and from were impossible (hence why there was never any travel in-game)?

Well including the fact Abeir only shared space with Toril it might be possible to connect with parts of Faerūn. The whole 4th Edtion clearly was a shock to the Realms and some deities did better with it then others. Much like the ToT we never got the entire read out on all those deities at that time.

Clearly not the best answer, however even I can not describe every detail in my game for the players. Nor can Ed or others answer to the minute detail how everything worked in the Realms.
sleyvas Posted - 27 Jan 2021 : 23:47:33
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Obviously he's a god and can do whatever he wants, but wasn't one of the big 4e design tenets (and mind you, I'm just going by fuzzy memories from when it first came out all those years ago), was that Abeir's actual status was very convoluted and as such, portals and ways to cross to and from were impossible (hence why there was never any travel in-game)?

And yet there's also quotes (by Ed I believe) stating that travelling between the two worlds is actually possibly easier than going elsewhere from Toril. It may be EASY to do, but only if you know HOW to do it.
sleyvas Posted - 27 Jan 2021 : 23:43:58
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I'd say the deity Shaundakul, detity of Travel (and thus, Travel magic) sort of went away after the Spellplague hit. I assume, in my own game's canon, that he traveled the cosmos and to other planes just because of how bad things got on Aberi-Toril. When things calm down (the beginning of 4E) he returns but is subtle about it. I have my own feats and powers for followers of Shaundakul, at least in my own Realm games.

Wow, I had totally forgotten about him Diffan and the fact that he had disappeared post spellplague. He's actually a very "norse"/"finnish"/"slavic"/"celtic" kind of deity in my viewpoint too.... I wonder if I could fit him in my plans as "he's known by this name by these people". Thanks.

Ed's words on Shaundakul, during this timeframe:

quote:

@_Pseudoscience_

I've been unable to dig up any information on where Shaundakul scampered off to after his disappearance in 1385, during the Spellplague. Is there any canon lore concerning this? If not, could you tell me if his clerics are still receiving their powers from him? :)

@_Pseudoscience_

Just checking in again. A little bump to see if this gets noticed :)

@TheEdVerse

Sorry, I've been busy recently ferrying my wife back from hospital, and similar real-world health fusses.

I answered this very query here on Twitter a month back:
Shaundakul stepped through a portal and went worldwalking during the onset of the Spellplague, to avoid the worst of its ravages, and to find and gather scattered sentients of Toril and lead them back to the world as the spell-chaos subsided.

Thereafter, Shaundakul appeared frequently, all over Faerūn, in various mortal guises, to guide lost travelers to safety, revealing his true nature only to his clergy and the most devoted of his lay worshippers.

He is answering the prayers of the faithful, granting spells to clergy, and in fact did so with far shorter an interruption during the Spellplague than most other deities. He's very attentive to his clergy.

#Realmslore

Works for me... so he went somewhere else to protect people who found themselves lost. Another phrasing of that could be "he went to Abeir to protect the people there as they travelled into new lands and discovered a new world".
Lord Karsus Posted - 27 Jan 2021 : 23:23:05
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Jan 2021 : 16:28:30
quote:

quote:

I'd say the deity Shaundakul, detity of Travel (and thus, Travel magic) sort of went away after the Spellplague hit. I assume, in my own game's canon, that he traveled the cosmos and to other planes just because of how bad things got on Aberi-Toril. When things calm down (the beginning of 4E) he returns but is subtle about it. I have my own feats and powers for followers of Shaundakul, at least in my own Realm games.

Wow, I had totally forgotten about him Diffan and the fact that he had disappeared post spellplague. He's actually a very "norse"/"finnish"/"slavic"/"celtic" kind of deity in my viewpoint too.... I wonder if I could fit him in my plans as "he's known by this name by these people". Thanks.

Ed's words on Shaundakul, during this timeframe:

quote:

@_Pseudoscience_

I've been unable to dig up any information on where Shaundakul scampered off to after his disappearance in 1385, during the Spellplague. Is there any canon lore concerning this? If not, could you tell me if his clerics are still receiving their powers from him? :)

@_Pseudoscience_

Just checking in again. A little bump to see if this gets noticed :)

@TheEdVerse

Sorry, I've been busy recently ferrying my wife back from hospital, and similar real-world health fusses.

I answered this very query here on Twitter a month back:
Shaundakul stepped through a portal and went worldwalking during the onset of the Spellplague, to avoid the worst of its ravages, and to find and gather scattered sentients of Toril and lead them back to the world as the spell-chaos subsided.

Thereafter, Shaundakul appeared frequently, all over Faerūn, in various mortal guises, to guide lost travelers to safety, revealing his true nature only to his clergy and the most devoted of his lay worshippers.

He is answering the prayers of the faithful, granting spells to clergy, and in fact did so with far shorter an interruption during the Spellplague than most other deities. He's very attentive to his clergy.

#Realmslore
sleyvas Posted - 27 Jan 2021 : 15:49:42
quote:

Ayrik Posted - 27 Jan 2021 : 01:33:47
2E-era deities and powers who "slumbered" were basically dormant entities littering the Astral. Although a few (like Karsus and Moander) were still anchored to their Primes through artifacts/scriptures/etc and could be "awakened" by enough faith to sustain their conscious manifested existence.
Diffan Posted - 27 Jan 2021 : 01:31:22
Lord Karsus Posted - 27 Jan 2021 : 01:26:56
-Auppenser kind of fits the bill for what you're looking for and we know that in recent history (which at the time would've been 1372 or 1373 since LEoF came out in 2005) he was starting to stir from his slumber, watever that might mean.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000