Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 WotC Sued by Weis & Hickman

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cpthero2 Posted - 21 Nov 2020 : 06:20:42
Fellow scribes,

Interesting news in the Courts of Tyr!

WotC is being sued by Margaret Weis LLC and Tracy Hickman, for alleged breach of contract. The first link is the actual filing in District Court, that way there is no interpretation about the filing. The second one is a news article about the issue.

A possibly telling excerpt from the news article is,
quote:
The lawsuit also states that Weis and Hickman, as they were writing Dragons of Deceit, had complied with several requests from Wizards that “proposed certain changes in keeping with the modern-day zeitgeist of a more inclusive and diverse story-world,” which Wizards was entitled to do by the terms of their licensing agreement. Weis and Hickman claim in the suit to have carried out all of Wizards’s requested rewrites, including one that reportedly took 70 pages to resolve, over issues that included the story’s use of love potions, certain characters’ names having negative connotations, and unspecified matters of inclusivity.

Interesting news issue!

Best regards,

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 22 Dec 2020 : 17:49:16
As I expected the claim from Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman to be, the denials from WotC were based upon,
quote:
The suit also claimed that Wizards of the Coast terminated the Licensing Agreement because Wizards of the Coast “was embroiled in a series of embarrassing public disputes whereby its non-Dragonlance publications were excoriated for racism and sexism.” https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/12/21/margaret-weis-and-tracy-hickmans-dragonlance-lawsuit-against-wizards-of-the-coast-dismissed-without-prejudice/

WotC clearly backed down in the end, even allowing the dismissal without prejudice to occur.

Looks like that would have been a juicy Discovery that WotC, seemingly, wisely ran from.

Sounds like a ticking time bomb to me.
cpthero2 Posted - 21 Dec 2020 : 20:21:49
Great Reader Darden,

Well, it seems apparent that WotC relented. How simple it was I think is up in the air. A dismissal without prejudice, based upon the likely requested dismissal from Weis and Hickman is meaning that they really had WotC over a barrel with something significant. My guess would be something about the nature of their work arrangement, and the other bit being that WotC didn't want the actual details coming out in discovery about the specific reasons for the (70) pages of changes that WotC had them make. That likely would have been preposterously embarrassing to WotC.

Again, just conjecture on my part there, but I think in absence of something else I am not considering, the most likely.

I would have loved to attained and read all of that discovery and especially the information about those changes, which I am certain were part and parcel of the disagreement.

Best regards,

Dalor Darden Posted - 21 Dec 2020 : 01:53:07
My guess is simply that WotC relented and the books will now go forward.
cpthero2 Posted - 20 Dec 2020 : 05:16:21
Master Rupert,

It very likely will be for most people. It's all part and parcel, but the fact that they can take it back to court at their leisure is big news. That seems to mean that Weis & Hickman have them by the balls.

My personal preference would have been to see Weis & Hickman salt the earth with WotC. I'd love to watch that stack of c**p get it's due. That book has been checked out since........ forever, and the fine needs payin'. ;)

Best regards,

Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Dec 2020 : 04:13:03
I should think this part is of greater interest to folks, rather than the without prejudice part:

"In this case it was voluntarily dismissed by Weis & Hickman. We can only guess why; perhaps a settlement occurred? In any case, Margaret Weis tweeted, thanking people for their support, and hinting at exciting news to come."
cpthero2 Posted - 20 Dec 2020 : 03:54:27
Here is a copy of the dismissal order: https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.wawd.290953/gov.uscourts.wawd.290953.4.0_1.pdf

If I had to guess: a pretty big concession was made by WotC. I could be wrong, but that is my guess, in light of it being dismissed without prejudice.
cpthero2 Posted - 20 Dec 2020 : 03:52:10
Big update!

https://www.enworld.org/threads/dragonlance-lawsuit-dismissed-without-prejudice.677145/

The lawsuit was dismissed without prejudice!
cpthero2 Posted - 29 Nov 2020 : 18:13:52
Master Krashos,

Indeed you are correct. I posted in the news section here as well about that, at:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23761

Best regards,

George Krashos Posted - 29 Nov 2020 : 09:40:51
They are being sued by Galeforce 9 now as well.

-- George Krashos
cpthero2 Posted - 28 Nov 2020 : 08:33:15
Fellow Scribes,

I wanted to add this video I watched: it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCyIamwg6tg

Best regards,

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000