Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Laerakond's Strange Weather

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 17 Nov 2020 : 01:40:51
I never really noticed until I started remaking a map in CC3+ of Laerakond, but the place has some weird weather. The northern part has snowy mountains. The lower part has jungles. This is in an area that's roughly the same size and shape as Maztica (but not anchorome). I've mentioned this oddness in the past, but never really pursued it. However, I'm just curious, has there been any explanation for this? I mean, it was supposed to be located where Maztica was, so jungle makes sense...

Comparing this to our world, is there anywhere in Central America that has snowy mountains? I'm just curious if this might just be an anomaly or if we'd have to actually create some kind of magical explanation.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 18 Nov 2020 : 08:11:16
Great Reader sleyvas,

Damn! Here I thought that Colorado was going to win analogously! You win today Columbia, you win today. ;)

Best regards,

sleyvas Posted - 17 Nov 2020 : 21:05:22
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

There are a lot of primordials entombed in Fimbrul, so that can explain the weird weather.

But, yes. I'm from Colombia, and my country has a tropical jungle, two savannahs, a desert, and snowy mountains. But Colombia has the second-highest biodiversity in the world, so...

"The six natural regions of Colombia –Andean, Caribbean, Pacific, Orinoquia, Amazon and Insular – are home to practically every type of ecosystem on earth, from tropical rainforest and Andean cloud forest to open savannahs and high-altitude moorland."

"In Colombia, it is possible to travel from desert to alpine tundra within a few days, passing through jungles, along rivers and over seas. The Andes splits into three ranges in Colombia, and all of these deep valleys and divisions have made for remarkable endemism, as new species evolved in isolation."

https://theculturetrip.com/south-america/colombia/articles/heres-why-colombia-is-one-of-the-most-biodiverse-countries-on-earth/

Thank you. You see where I was going (i.e. the primordials), but I didn't want to have to use some heavy handed magical reason if its known to exist in our world in similar environments.
cpthero2 Posted - 17 Nov 2020 : 18:48:30
Master Rupert,

You definitely hit the nail on the head. If you drive from Last Chance, CO, to Denver, CO, then head south on the 25 to Colorado Springs, you get almost everything, minus jungle. It's pretty cool. I absolutely love the high desert area around Colorado Springs.

Anyhow, getting back to the Laerakond bit: I think you could hit it all with the multiple variables at play here, i.e. primordials, magic, from another place.

Best regards,

Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Nov 2020 : 03:42:59
It all depends on the elevation and terrain.

Look at the state of Colorado, in the US. From Wikipedia: "Colorado is notable for its diverse geography, which includes alpine mountains, high plains, deserts with huge sand dunes, and deep canyons."

I went there once, as a kid. In the space of a few days in June I saw arid regions and played in the snow on Pike's Peak.
Zeromaru X Posted - 17 Nov 2020 : 02:38:53
There are a lot of primordials entombed in Fimbrul, so that can explain the weird weather.

But, yes. I'm from Colombia, and my country has a tropical jungle, two savannahs, a desert, and snowy mountains. But Colombia has the second-highest biodiversity in the world, so...

"The six natural regions of Colombia –Andean, Caribbean, Pacific, Orinoquia, Amazon and Insular – are home to practically every type of ecosystem on earth, from tropical rainforest and Andean cloud forest to open savannahs and high-altitude moorland."

"In Colombia, it is possible to travel from desert to alpine tundra within a few days, passing through jungles, along rivers and over seas. The Andes splits into three ranges in Colombia, and all of these deep valleys and divisions have made for remarkable endemism, as new species evolved in isolation."

https://theculturetrip.com/south-america/colombia/articles/heres-why-colombia-is-one-of-the-most-biodiverse-countries-on-earth/
Ayrik Posted - 17 Nov 2020 : 02:28:17
If you accept the lore then Laerakond came from a different world. One shaped by entirely different powers than the deities who created magic, nature, physics, and other properties of the Realms. Kinda seems like enough explanation already. There's plenty of other worlds and dimensions and planes and demiplanes which intersect with certain places in the Realms, sometimes they're in motion, sometimes they're motionless, sometimes they're transient or recurring, sometimes they're semi-permanent and gradually fade/merge only after a long, long time.
Kentinal Posted - 17 Nov 2020 : 02:21:32
The quick answer is yes.

Cordillera de Talamanca comes close. It clearly has freezing temperatures. https://lacgeo.com/cordillera-talamanca-mountain-range

In some ways it depends on how you and the web define Central America , my one search provided Snow covered mountains in central USA *shrugs* I do not know of any mountains in central USA, those I believe are the plains states for the most part.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000