Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Cormyr lore question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
atesinde Posted - 05 Aug 2020 : 21:10:28
Greetings everyone!

I'm a really unexperienced DM and now I'm preparing my first campaign in Cormyr.

The storyline of campaign is based on a great sect of the Anthraxus that kidnap folks, torture to the point of losing faith and finally kill them to transform their souls into worms of Grey wastes. Anthraxus' servants sell the souls of the victims to armies of Abyss and Nine Hells that fight constantly.

The means of kidnapping include orcs' attacks on the villages, spreading the diseases, using Suzail's rebels groups and peachers of "freedom from kings and gods" (and small sects of their followers).

I'm digging into Cormyr's lore now but information is spreaded from page to page and from book to book.

I would really grateful if you guide me briefly through foundations of Cormyr modern politic situation up to the 1489 DR. What should I keep in mind while mastering the plot if I want to make story where all of the Cormyr's features is taken into account?

I'm looking forward your answers!

Thanks in advance.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 13 Sep 2020 : 05:11:27
Acolyte Methority,

I believe your answer to be somewhere between what the question posed by Acolyte atesinde and Master Krashos.

I can certainly appreciate that the volume of knowledge is vast, and very few people in this Keep I dare so are true masters of it, but I can name names for sure of the few I would consider to carry such a clepe. That being said... that kind of work is truly monstrous in the dedication through hours, publishing, and discussion to achieve. It is a bit condescending to dismiss such a labor of love with the comment left for Master Krashos. Master Krashos left nothing trite, or otherwise inappropriate, in his response by pointing to the Cormyr article that he did. The citations alone are fantastic and lead a person, succinctly, to that location.

As to the seemingly implicit indication of insufficiency, layered in your response, it is not unduly earned. While the intention of Acolyte atesinde is known, the question was in fact very broad: too broad in fact. Cormyr is over 1300 years old, and is in fact one of the most written about nations in the Realms. Asking some more detailed questions about the "modern politic" is not unreasonable.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by methority

*sigh*
Guys, firstly, if she found candlekeep forum, she probably knows how to google and found many pages dedicated to Cormyr.
Secondly, this was clearly not enough, because INFORMATION ABOUT THE REALMS DOES NOT EXIST IN A UNIFIED FORM. Information about the FR is scattered all over the Internet in such a way that any newcomer is terrified and gives up.

Why have you old people who know so much about the realms still not put your knowledge in order so that nobody have to ask questions like this?

Cyrano Posted - 08 Aug 2020 : 11:18:10
Addendum: skimming through it, this could be just the primer the OP was looking for.
Cyrano Posted - 08 Aug 2020 : 11:16:07
I just had a quick search, because I was intrigued to read it and can pin down that Cormyr article to Dungeon 198.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 08 Aug 2020 : 03:29:02
Oof, those poor souls. That's a horrible fate (I'm big on the fate of souls. I always feel bad when souls are taken to the Abyss or turned into worms). Just a note, Ed Greenwood has said that when people are tortured/sacrificed, it's not usually the soul itself that is sacrificed. Rather, the god or entity feeds off the despair and pain as the victim is being tortured, so they probably wouldn't actually turn into worms of the Fugue Plane (they would still go to their appropriate deity), but if you want to do it for the plot of your campaign, then of course you can.

As for Cormyr, Corymr: A Novel is great for the founding of Cormyr and lore, and if you really want to dive in, I recommend it. Brimstone Angels also has (more recent) info on Cormyr, and source books others mentioned. But if you're just looking for an overview for a campaign, then the wiki link George provided is a good place to start, and it will have a list of source material that was used to compile the article if you want to look further.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Aug 2020 : 14:24:01
There was also a 2E Cormyr sourcebook, though I would reach for the Volo's Guide, first -- those books give a lot more of an on-the-ground feel and do more to make the described areas come alive.
Brimstone Posted - 06 Aug 2020 : 13:39:32
There should be some good Cormyr Scolls floating about.

If you are able to, get a copy Volo's Guide to Cormyr. It's a 2e product, yet alot of the Lore can or could be ported over to a current Realms game. You can find a PDF of it at GM's Guild.

As Gary said the current version of Cormyr is not really detailed.

I hope this helps, welcome.
Gary Dallison Posted - 06 Aug 2020 : 11:26:40
Joking aside, cormyr in the current era is relatively undetailed, which is a design flaw common to the realms in the current era.

There is a backdrop article for cormyr in one of the dungeon mags from 4th edition (190 ish I think).

For information from the 1360 era you are looking at the cormyr sourcebook and the volos guide to cormyr and just about every other sourcebook from that era had a little bit if cormyr lore.

I think the backdrop on cormyr article will give you the political detail you require (I don't do current era so cant help I'm afraid).
Everything else is unfortunately up to you because 4e and 5e was designed that way.

George Krashos Posted - 06 Aug 2020 : 11:10:00
quote:
Originally posted by methority

*sigh*
Guys, firstly, if she found candlekeep forum, she probably knows how to google and found many pages dedicated to Cormyr.
Secondly, this was clearly not enough, because INFORMATION ABOUT THE REALMS DOES NOT EXIST IN A UNIFIED FORM. Information about the FR is scattered all over the Internet in such a way that any newcomer is terrified and gives up.

Why have you old people who know so much about the realms still not put your knowledge in order so that nobody have to ask questions like this?

I'm wondering if this post is a joke. I'll assume it is. I'll respond with a joke of similar tone. Why aren't you young people prepared to get off your backsides and do some work yourselves, instead of bothering us all the time?

-- George Krashos
methority Posted - 06 Aug 2020 : 10:19:54
*sigh*

George Krashos Posted - 05 Aug 2020 : 23:36:53
Look here: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Cormyr

If you need more, you're going to have to research it/make it up yourself.

-- George Krashos
Kentinal Posted - 05 Aug 2020 : 23:02:00
I believe that an "unexperienced DM" should be trying a campaign in Cormyr with invasion by a sect of Anthraxus. It is rather ambitious endeavor for one starting out as a DM.

You need not only to know Cormyr but also need a base for Anthraxus clergy and servant orcs.
Hoondatha Posted - 05 Aug 2020 : 22:25:57
I think you're going to need to narrow your question down a bit. As it stands, considering how central Cormyr is to the Realms, you're basically asking, "Please tell me 40 years of Realmslore in a text post."

What specifically about Cormyr are you curious about, and what problems are you having starting your campaign?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000